Author Topic: Most recent purchase - random / planned / spontaneous / other ...  (Read 715213 times)

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
Re: Most recent purchase - random / planned / spontaneous / other ...
« Reply #5070 on: June 24, 2019, 06:43:46 am »
Hey, thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback. That was a spur of the moment thing that I kind of forced myself to do: throw up a mic and record a little sample to just post as-is.

I've been recording some songs, but they're either "80% there" or I keep adding or changing things. I *will* post them...eventually...

Anyway, had a lot of fun with the uke this evening. Getting the strumming right without catching my finger is kinda tough, but it's getting a little smoother already. I also found that the corners of the nut were pretty sharp, so I used some sandpaper to chamfer the ends and make it more comfortable since your hand is up there quite a bit.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5071 on: June 24, 2019, 11:39:27 am »
Hey, thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback. That was a spur of the moment thing that I kind of forced myself to do: throw up a mic and record a little sample to just post as-is.

I've been recording some songs, but they're either "80% there" or I keep adding or changing things. I *will* post them...eventually...

Anyway, had a lot of fun with the uke this evening. Getting the strumming right without catching my finger is kinda tough, but it's getting a little smoother already. I also found that the corners of the nut were pretty sharp, so I used some sandpaper to chamfer the ends and make it more comfortable since your hand is up there quite a bit.

Look forward to it :)

My wife was getting back into guitar this weekend and whenever she accompanies me to guitar heaven, she drools over the ukes.  So I see a uke coming home as a birthday present towards year end :)

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #5072 on: June 24, 2019, 12:35:35 pm »
I don't know what I'm doing on it, yet, but I made a quick recording of how it sounds with my noob uke strumming
Just commented on OH's version in AVOYP and then this-
We're sitting on the porch chewin' baccy now!

I can see why your wife says you sound like a country singer-
God help us when you figure out what you're doing  :P

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #5073 on: June 24, 2019, 06:51:21 pm »
Just commented on OH's version in AVOYP and then this-
We're sitting on the porch chewin' baccy now!

I can see why your wife says you sound like a country singer-
God help us when you figure out what you're doing  :P
Hah! Thanks, man.

I just went and checked out oldhead's version: really nice! I need to spend more time on that part of the forums. I think I've been missing out.

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5074 on: June 24, 2019, 07:34:36 pm »
Looking at a Jackson Dinky or Sololist.  Any one know anything about them?  Why a Jackson?  Really on a whim as I live in a Providence called "Jackson".  Just thought it would be neat to own a useful Jackson guitar  8) 

Offline craig808

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5075 on: June 25, 2019, 04:33:55 pm »
I've just purchased a PRS SE Custom 24 in spalted maple vintage finish. Hopefully lands tomorrow  :)

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #5076 on: June 25, 2019, 07:46:18 pm »
Just bought a ukulele (Lanikai CKCGC Concert Uke, Koa) and brought it home from the guitar store:

I don't know what I'm doing on it, yet, but I made a quick recording of how it sounds with my noob uke strumming (my finger wants to catch on the strings -- need to work on a light touch!):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajbfmvlkhbu554d/just_bought_a_ukulele.mp3?dl=0

JWC, sounds really good to me, and you’ve really got the Bayou sound.  You should finish that up and post it next door.  Or any other song you’ve got under your belt.  Your vocal just fits it so well, unlike mine.  Will be looking forward to more action from you soon.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline claudinec

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5077 on: June 26, 2019, 01:15:28 am »
I just bought my first looper (a Boss RC-3) thanks to the advice of Justin and countless others. Now I will face the truth of whether I can really keep in time!
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 / Blackstar Super Fly
Makai MT-70 tenor uke

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #5078 on: June 29, 2019, 07:08:00 pm »
I just bought my first looper (a Boss RC-3) thanks to the advice of Justin and countless others. Now I will face the truth of whether I can really keep in time!

How is the looper going claudinec?
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline claudinec

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5079 on: June 30, 2019, 07:54:17 am »
Getting my head around the recording/overdub/playback cycle was confusing at first but I think I've got the hang of it now. Stomping right on the first beat every time is still tricky but the RC-3's count-in mode helps with that. I can see how this is all going to help with practice, even just hearing my mistakes played back at me.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 / Blackstar Super Fly
Makai MT-70 tenor uke

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #5080 on: June 30, 2019, 08:46:16 am »
Getting my head around the recording/overdub/playback cycle was confusing at first but I think I've got the hang of it now. Stomping right on the first beat every time is still tricky but the RC-3's count-in mode helps with that. I can see how this is all going to help with practice, even just hearing my mistakes played back at me.
Cool,  sounds like your getting the hang of it.   Yep nailing that 1st beat and getting your timing with your foot whilst still playing is a learning process hey?   But yeah I agree its a great practice tool and it doesn't lie!   
Keep at it,  sounds like its already making a difference. 

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #5081 on: June 30, 2019, 09:45:28 am »
Good to hear you’re having fun with your Ukulele, that’s what they are all about!
Yes the nut does get in the way a bit, so many of the commonly used chords are down there so smoothing the edges of the nut is mandatory if it’s not smooth, also some of the chinese made ukes have quite a narrow nut which isn’t good if you have chunky fingers! Your performance for your early experience was pretty damn good, strumming isn’t anything much like with a guitar so takes a bit of learning, Cynthia lin on YT does some good tutorials and is well worth looking at, anyway have fun - that’s the main thing!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #5082 on: July 01, 2019, 11:51:01 am »
Inspired by Gareth’s laid back, fun entry in this month’s competition, I purchased a second had uke at a second-hand music fair yesterday :)

It’s a Fender Mino’ Aka (concert size, I think) in excellent nick and already a bundle of fun.

Watched Justin’s ukulele intro lesson and headed off into YouTube-land to learn my first song.
I decided to post here to demonstrate the sound, as well as confirm to other beginners that even rudimentary skills appear to be transferable.

Gonna have a bundle of fun with this baby- and it gets to come on holidays with me  ;D

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5083 on: July 01, 2019, 01:19:43 pm »
Looks like fun, Brian ... I sense a disturbance in the local GAS force

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #5084 on: July 01, 2019, 07:08:39 pm »
Inspired by Gareth’s laid back, fun entry in this month’s competition, I purchased a second had uke at a second-hand music fair yesterday :)

It’s a Fender Mino’ Aka (concert size, I think) in excellent nick and already a bundle of fun.

Watched Justin’s ukulele intro lesson and headed off into YouTube-land to learn my first song.
I decided to post here to demonstrate the sound, as well as confirm to other beginners that even rudimentary skills appear to be transferable.

Gonna have a bundle of fun with this baby- and it gets to come on holidays with me  ;D

Excellent Brian. You do move fast. Congrats on the new addition to the family.  It suits you.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App