Author Topic: Most recent purchase - random / planned / spontaneous / other ...  (Read 715357 times)

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
Re: Most recent purchase - random / planned / spontaneous / other ...
« Reply #5040 on: June 12, 2019, 05:04:11 pm »
Got an offer I couldn't say no too on buying a Vox AC30CCH - a Vox AC30 as an amp head.

I used to have the combo version of this exact amp as my main live amplifier for over 10 years, but sold it because it was too heavy to carry around and impractical to use in my home (way too loud).

This head version is just great though! I can use it in my "silent recording" setup that I have with load boxes and impulse responses - and it sounds KILLER!
Just dialed it in today, and I realized how much I have missed that Vox tone. Ahh, feels good to be back :)

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #5041 on: June 12, 2019, 05:21:32 pm »
A Katana 50.

The learning curve seems a bit steep :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #5042 on: June 13, 2019, 06:18:52 pm »
I've been having a shoulder issue for months so I finally decided to get something a little easier to play for now, a mini Taylor (GS Mini-e Koa). It's a very nice little guitar, easy to play, and it sounds good. It's not as much of a beauty as my Gretsch :) but it is a nice looking little guitar. NGD last Saturday = happiness :)

Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5043 on: June 13, 2019, 07:19:46 pm »
Both look great, Mari ... the pig and the bear ... and the guitars  ;)

Happy guitaring ....

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #5044 on: June 13, 2019, 11:23:44 pm »
Got an offer I couldn't say no too on buying a Vox AC30CCH - a Vox AC30 as an amp head.

I used to have the combo version of this exact amp as my main live amplifier for over 10 years, but sold it because it was too heavy to carry around and impractical to use in my home (way too loud).

This head version is just great though! I can use it in my "silent recording" setup that I have with load boxes and impulse responses - and it sounds KILLER!
Just dialed it in today, and I realized how much I have missed that Vox tone. Ahh, feels good to be back :)

Sweet. My Mustang IIIv2 has a VOX AC30 emulator and I love the clean sounds with no additional pedals. Having said that have added a few daisy effect chains that sound really cool. Glad you have the tangible hands on amp, as the virtual one is ace.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #5045 on: June 14, 2019, 12:11:10 am »

I had the AC30CCH as well. I played it through a Cambirdge 30 made into a 2x10 cabinet because that's all I had at the time. I ended up selling it because I felt it was too brittle and couldn't be bothered having it modified.

I intended to replace it with an AC15C1 because I loved what it sounded like when I was in the store looking for locking tremolo guitars. I ended up with a Vox TB18C1 instead which sounds arguably more like a Fender than a Vox. In the beginning I couldn't quite figure out how to use this amp. However I now run it with a Dr. Z Brake-Lite attenuator and that makes all the difference. Still super loud though. ;D

I would actually like to add a Vox AC10 to my collection. It sounded absolutely brilliant in the store. A lot better than I expected, too. Very big and ballsy sound. It must be the oversized cab making that single 10" work so well.

I've been having a shoulder issue for months so I finally decided to get something a little easier to play for now, a mini Taylor (GS Mini-e Koa). It's a very nice little guitar, easy to play, and it sounds good. It's not as much of a beauty as my Gretsch :) but it is a nice looking little guitar. NGD last Saturday = happiness :)
I love the GS Mini. I have an older koa myself. I know that because I still have the three buttons on the side and oyu have the backdoor pre-amp with the tuner. I'm not sure if I find my Gretsch prettier than my GS Mini. I just love stunning woods and minimally finished guitars.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #5046 on: June 16, 2019, 05:51:11 pm »
Both look great, Mari ... the pig and the bear ... and the guitars  ;)
Happy guitaring ....

Lol yes those smaller items do take up some of the focus!

I love the GS Mini. I have an older koa myself. I know that because I still have the three buttons on the side and oyu have the backdoor pre-amp with the tuner. I'm not sure if I find my Gretsch prettier than my GS Mini. I just love stunning woods and minimally finished guitars.

Totally agree with the look of ‘stunning woods’ for guitars. The Gretsch was a celebration purchase though, and I just want to pick it up and play it every time I see it 😊
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline craig808

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5047 on: June 19, 2019, 11:00:21 pm »
Not bought anything fancy for a while now, just small essentials. EB Earthwood strings and some Snarling Dogs Brain picks. I've got my eye on a another Tele but it's trying to convince my other half the my other 3 Teles just isn't enough

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #5048 on: June 19, 2019, 11:11:04 pm »
I've got my eye on a another Tele but it's trying to convince my other half the my other 3 Teles just isn't enough

Just like you can never have too many guitars, you can never have too many teles!

(I have five teles, each different in some way, so I can speak on this with authority! :) )

Offline craig808

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5049 on: June 19, 2019, 11:21:10 pm »
Just like you can never have too many guitars, you can never have too many teles!

(I have five teles, each different in some way, so I can speak on this with authority! :) )
Haha, I keep telling her that. She says "how many do you need, you can only play one at a time". Once I mention her shoes she soon shuts up.
There'll be a new tele in the collection very soon. I've seen a lovely American Elite in Satin Ice Blue that sounds awesome and looks stunning in that colour...GAS is rearing its head!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #5050 on: June 19, 2019, 11:26:37 pm »
There'll be a new tele in the collection very soon. I've seen a lovely American Elite in Satin Ice Blue that sounds awesome and looks stunning in that colour...GAS is rearing its head!!

Go for it! My most recent tele is an American Elite Thinline in Mystic Ice Blue. I really dig the neck on that one (it's a compound radius, which has really grown on me). That said, I'm not 100% sold on the noiseless pickups. They sound fine, but there is a difference. I may end up swapping those out. Or maybe not. I haven't decided.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, that's my *second* most recent tele. The most recent one was an HH tele in tidepool.

Offline craig808

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5051 on: June 19, 2019, 11:32:14 pm »
Go for it! My most recent tele is an American Elite Thinline in Mystic Ice Blue. I really dig the neck on that one (it's a compound radius, which has really grown on me). That said, I'm not 100% sold on the noiseless pickups. They sound fine, but there is a difference. I may end up swapping those out. Or maybe not. I haven't decided.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, that's my *second* most recent tele. The most recent one was an HH tele in tidepool.
That's interesting about the pups. What is it that's niggling you?
Nice guitar you've got by the way, awesome colour.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #5052 on: June 20, 2019, 12:05:35 am »
That's interesting about the pups. What is it that's niggling you?

Well, it's not that they sound bad. It's just that they're a little more muted than what I'm used to. They're not *too* muted, just more than a comparable tele without noiseless pickups. None of my other teles have noiseless pickups, so it's more about what I'm used to than anything else.

Honestly, it's probably not worth worrying about. Thinking about it, I'm unlikely to bother changing the pickups any time soon.

Offline craig808

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5053 on: June 20, 2019, 08:16:05 am »
Well, it's not that they sound bad. It's just that they're a little more muted than what I'm used to. They're not *too* muted, just more than a comparable tele without noiseless pickups. None of my other teles have noiseless pickups, so it's more about what I'm used to than anything else.

Honestly, it's probably not worth worrying about. Thinking about it, I'm unlikely to bother changing the pickups any time soon.
Don't say never. Isn't it the norm to buy a new guitar, tell everyone how amazing it sounds and that you've just found your new best friend....then start with the upgrades,  a nice set of Bare Knuckles maybe

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5054 on: June 20, 2019, 08:25:52 am »

I have managed to convince my better half that 3 acoustics and an electric is quite reasonable, even under supplied. But seriously, I dream of the day when I can play well enough and work with pedals etc that I can honestly make use of a Tele and Strat to go with my LP. 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App