Author Topic: Most recent purchase - random / planned / spontaneous / other ...  (Read 421150 times)

Offline JetCityCobra

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • No time like the present
Re: Most recent purchase - random / planned / spontaneous / other ...
« Reply #4260 on: March 29, 2017, 02:28:10 pm »
Thank you very much for the assist, LievenDV!

It truly is amazing how much better my playing sounds on an instrument when I'm not fighting it to get the chords down! I think I'm in love! 
Breedlove Oregon Concert CE Sitka Spruce - Myrtlewood
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Seagull Coastline S12 Acoustic
Epiphone LP Special
Fender T-Bucket 400 Acoustic Electric

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • Well I am working on it.
« Reply #4261 on: March 29, 2017, 02:49:56 pm »

As for guitars, I now have the following - which I feel covers pretty much any tone I could want:

• - Music Man Luke - HSS, EMG pickups, Floyd rose. Very general purpose, but especially 80s rock and those Metallica clean tones.
  • - Music Man LIII - HSS, passive pickups. General purpose workhorse, can do it all. I play this at all gigs..
  • - Music Man Reflex - HH, passive pickups, hard-tail. Basically a Les Paul type guitar
  • - Music Man Cutlass - SSS, passive vintage style pickups with a noise reduction system. A very high-quality Strat type guitar with a ton of modern features.

Impressive arsenal!
So if you could only have one, which would it be?
There are a lot of strats out there these days with prices all over the place. Some double the cost of the these M Man Guitars. Of a comparable priced strat, what stands out to you that is better about the Music Man guitar in question?

Based upon your thoughts I want to go play this thing and see if smokes my Strat!

Thanks Kasper!
LB
I sense a change in musical direction!

Offline KasperFauerby

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #4262 on: March 29, 2017, 05:03:57 pm »
So if you could only have one, which would it be?

Of a comparable priced strat, what stands out to you that is better about the Music Man guitar in question?

Hmm, tough question... Right now I'm really, really digging the new kid - the Cutlass. But I guess that's to be expected ;) If I could only have one guitar, then it would have to be one in HSS configuration. So one of the Lukes. The newest model, the LIII, is really a great guitar. But it is a fairly dark sounding guitar as well, something which surprised me a bit. The original Luke with the EMGs was possible a bit more flexible in tones.. but with the passive pickups on the LIII it has greater dynamics. All in all I think I would go with the LIII as my one instrument.... ;)

As for the Cutlass - I guess it should be compared against a fairly high-end US Strat price wise. And I have to say I think it smokes those models completely.

First of all there is the build quality - the feel of the neck, the wood, and especially the fretwork. You would have to go custom shop strat for anything like that... which is indeed double the price.

But also for concrete features, these are the benefits as I see them:

- Stainless steel frets. These are sooo smooth to do bends with. You wouldn't believe the difference SS frets actually does before you've played some yourself. Also they do not wear down. So you won't have to worry about re-fretting the guitar down the road

- Good quality (Schaller) locking tuners. I will never ever buy a guitar without locking machine heads again (all my MM have those, except the original Luke because of the Floyd).

- The 4+2 tuner arrangement on the head stock. Some think it looks funny (silly?). But it makes the pull on each string completely straight through the nut slot, which makes tuning incredibly stable. Without string trees or any such nonsense.

- MMs custom "compensated nut". I rambled about this before, but basically it's what makes the guitar be properly in tune, also when playing open chords with open strings.

- Only one tone control. I don't get why Fender thinks there should be two. It also makes the volume knob not being in the way...

- Superb two-point trem system. This just stays in tune, regardless of whammy abuse. And the strange looking cover over the saddles makes is sooo comfortable to play.. compared to normal bent saddles that can scratch/catch your hand

- Fantastic truss rod adjustment wheel at the neck pickup. Soooo easy to adjust the truss rod on MM instruments.

- Pickups. Problem with single coil pickups is of course noise. Fender has started using their "noiseless" pickups.. but while they are silent, they do affect tone. The reason being that Fenders solution is to stack two half coils on top of each other. Kind of like a vertically stacked humbucker. The pickups in the Cutlass are vintage voiced true single coil pickups - and then MM added an active circuit for noise reduction. I guess it's kind of like having a built-in noise gate.

- Buffered input. You can turn down the volume on the guitar, and not loose treble in your tone. Great for playing dynamically

So yeah, in my humble opinion this is just a fantastic instrument.

As you can see it's very clearly made for the musician rather than relying on a name or traditions. Some people don't like the look (I don't get it, I think it's beautiful) ... but as you can see, all the "strange" designs are done for a reason. And the reason always being to improve tone, tuning stability or playability ;)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • Well I am working on it.
« Reply #4263 on: March 29, 2017, 09:19:36 pm »
Hi Kasper,
Hey super great reply, I thank you. So is the model your recommending as your top pick (not the latest one your in love with at the moment) to look at a current model? I was looking around a bit and tried a search on one you had listed but while it gave me a "Luke" it was not your model.

Wow, stainless frets! That is ultra cool, some say it will last a lifetime. Not sure about that but I bet you don't see metal shaving coming off on nasty bends!

I may off a guitar and if I do, I will take a serious look at what your recommending as Strats to me are getting pretty ragged and production oriented. Not sure why the QC is so low. I mean for a guitar factory, how much extra time does it take to add a little love to the instruments and make them right. You can't say it is all about money because they are charging a ton for these things. Gibson might be worse. I got an SG Special and the joint line between the neck and rosewood fingerboard has a big ridge on it. Shoot if I could have had it for less than an hour I could have hand sanded that line flush and made it nice. They just left it and pushed it out the door. Really disgusts me. That is a $1200 guitar and there is no excuse for that kind of workmanship! At some point I may sand it down and refinish it. Tricky job though as it has translucent stain. Very difficult to match or blend in.

Thanks again Kasper!
LB
I sense a change in musical direction!

Offline KasperFauerby

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #4264 on: March 29, 2017, 10:27:35 pm »
So is the model your recommending as your top pick (not the latest one your in love with at the moment) to look at a current model? I was looking around a bit and tried a search on one you had listed but while it gave me a "Luke" it was not your model.

Yeah, it's a recent model. To be exact I have the BFR (Ball Family Reserve) version, which is a buffed up version of the standard model. It's quite expensive, and I think the standard is probably equally good..

Specs are here:
https://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/luke-iii-bfr

It comes in both a HH and HSS configuration. Many people are loving the HH config, but I preferred the HSS for more tonal options. It came out as my top pick because, if I could only have one, I would want a humbucker in the bridge.

The Cutlass is much brighter guitar. It sounds pretty much like a strat.

So it depends on what sounds you're after. I can highly recommend trying out both!

Oh btw, this reminds me - they are going to release a HSS version of the Cutlass this year as well. That would also be worth checking out! Choices.... ;)

Offline antwilk1981

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #4265 on: March 30, 2017, 10:13:55 am »
Just brought a Boss Blues Driver and a Tubescreamer mini. Any recommendations for a decent delay, compressor and boost pedals?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Taylor 110
Vintage V6 Icon
Vintage VSA535
Vox AD30VT

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4266 on: April 04, 2017, 11:55:16 pm »
So this is the new member of the family. A prototype with Satin Box fretboard. A one of a kind atm so very special

Play guitar as if life depends on it

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #4267 on: April 05, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »
purdy
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #4268 on: April 05, 2017, 04:35:21 pm »
Yeah, that's gorgeous!

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #4269 on: April 19, 2017, 02:58:19 am »
Long story short: Left iPad mini 2 (16GB, wifi + cellular) on top of my car after a gig and drove off, long gone. Cellular was off so no Find My Phone. Filed claim with carrier, they shipped me a 128 GB iPad mini 4 (wifi + cellular). Deductible: $112. Pretty happy.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 326
« Reply #4270 on: April 19, 2017, 03:25:47 am »
My new Breedlove Sitka Myrtlewood Concert CE just arrived!!

Wow, that is sexy looking guitar.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline gkf9

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4271 on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:12 pm »
Just delivered today, not even had time to strum one chord on it yet.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Online gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #4272 on: April 19, 2017, 09:35:32 pm »
Just got an iRig 2.  Not had much time to play with it much.  First impressions are that the noise and latency are both very low. Not sure about the sound yet.

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R
YouTube  Roadcase Soundcloud

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
« Reply #4273 on: April 21, 2017, 04:57:17 pm »

Got this "wheelie" or whatever you would call it in English. In Danish we call it a "hund" (dog).
It is perfect for taking my amp for band practice but also at home it's nice to be able to easily move the amp around. Nice feature that the footcontroller and fx pedal fits underneath when not in use.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline JetCityCobra

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • No time like the present
« Reply #4274 on: April 21, 2017, 08:22:02 pm »
Wow, that is sexy looking guitar.

Thank you so much!  She truly is a joy to play!  :)
Breedlove Oregon Concert CE Sitka Spruce - Myrtlewood
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Seagull Coastline S12 Acoustic
Epiphone LP Special
Fender T-Bucket 400 Acoustic Electric

Get The Forum As A Mobile App