Author Topic: Most recent purchase - random / planned / spontaneous / other ...  (Read 582906 times)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: Most recent purchase - random / planned / spontaneous / other ...
« Reply #4680 on: April 26, 2018, 08:12:11 am »
Hi,

@ DP - "I reckon by gear is running well ahead of my ability at this stage.  But I will grow into it and learn how to get down in the blues and rock it up."

Well - I always feel I play better when I sound better. It may not be true but I sure feel that way, feel the vibe and get into it.  If nothing else I have a GAS of a time trying!

Rock that gear up! Something good may come of it and should!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #4681 on: May 06, 2018, 06:43:26 pm »
The time has come.

I bought a fuzz!

I used to be that "meh, I don't like fuzz" guy.

I went for one of the craziest fuzz boxes out there and I bet somebody will know what that is before I receive it and post a picture of it.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #4682 on: May 08, 2018, 09:29:41 pm »
So it's a ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory. I sorta knew what I was getting myself into but I'm still unsettled about how much of a beast this pedal actually is.

Here's a little Instagram clip (follow me if you'd like):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BihxvNjgO6f/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:45:14 pm by Cue Zephyr »
Production and mixing

Offline antwilk1981

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #4683 on: May 10, 2018, 02:42:11 pm »
Bought a Vintage V100 for a real bargain and gave it a refurb. New pots, new switch, new jack, new pups and a full set up. Not bad for a first project and it plays and sounds amazing. Partscaster next...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Taylor 110
Vintage V6 Icon
Vintage VSA535
Vox AD30VT

Offline KasperFauerby

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 99
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #4684 on: May 14, 2018, 10:34:08 pm »
I own a tube amp once again ;)

A few years back I switched to using a Kemper, but I wasn't feeling good about gigging such a complicated piece of kit without bringing something simple along for backup. Got myself a small 5W tube head that I can easily bring along in the car, with a clean channel, a dirty channel, built-in reverb and speaker simulated DI that can go direct to the mixer.

On top of that it actually has a bunch of interesting studio features built-in, such as the ability to record silent.. even taking the DI signal after the power tube! Also has built-in USB interface and a very functional re-amp feature. That's pretty cool ;)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #4685 on: May 15, 2018, 01:05:23 am »
Awesome. I considered getting one of thise but I couldn't bear letting go of my Vox TB18 to make cash and room for it. Still would like to have one though. Congrats!
Production and mixing

Offline KasperFauerby

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 99
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #4686 on: May 15, 2018, 09:10:50 am »
Yeah, I got a bit lucky. Since it was intended for a backup rig, it wasn't that urgent to find one. So I just kept an eye out over the last few months. As luck would have it, suddenly one tuned up used only 12km from my home, at a very reasonable price... AND pretty much completely unused. So I had to jump on that ;)

Last evening I tried it out with DI and impulse responses in the DAW. Sounded pretty good, but not mind blowing. But today I just had a brief time with it plugged into a real 2x12 cab... totally different story! Plenty loud for the small gigs I usually play, and it sounds really fat and nice! Got that singing sizzling lead tone that you only get when cranking power tubes. Awesome! With my big old Vox AC30 it was hard to get that tone because it was so damn loud...

To be honest, a part of me is seriously thinking about setting up a tiny pedal board with maybe a compressor and a delay, and then gig with this amp instead of the Kemper.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #4687 on: May 16, 2018, 06:18:41 pm »
How about selling the Kemper, buy a Katana for home use, buy some pedals for the Laney and stick the remainder in your pocket? ;D

Nothing beats a roaring tube amp. Even my 18W Vox is loud as heck even attenuated, so I know how you feel with your AC30.

Nothing beats pedals either, if you're really into that like I am. Just scored my hopefully last chorus pedal I'll ever get.

ETA: My chorus quest might finally be over with this TC Electronic SCF!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:30:29 pm by Cue Zephyr »
Production and mixing

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #4688 on: May 17, 2018, 10:30:22 pm »
@Cue, the quest is never over!

I've been pretty restrained with pedal purchases lately, mostly because I've just lacked spare time to use the ones I have, so can't really justify buying any. But my Veteran still makes me smile every time I fire up the mini Tweed!

I did buy an Amplifi TT this week, as they're on special offer at GuitarGuitar for £89.
I've been wanting to do a bit experimenting with effects to find a few tones, and the TT ticks all the boxes. Ideal for headphone practice, effects are really easy to edit via the app, and I can stream backing tracks from my phone.

Only had 30 minutes to try it so far, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the default drive setting reacted to the guitar volume. Just need to find some time to lose trying effects in the quest of tones.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #4689 on: May 18, 2018, 12:32:58 am »
@Cue, the quest is never over!

I've been pretty restrained with pedal purchases lately, mostly because I've just lacked spare time to use the ones I have, so can't really justify buying any. But my Veteran still makes me smile every time I fire up the mini Tweed!
My Vox TB18 sounds a bit like a Tweed as well, but tighter, not as refined and with more bite.

The aforementioned TC SCF is actually the fourth chorus pedal I've owned. I started out with an MXR M234 (blue) Analog Chorus, tried a M134 (yellow) Stereo Chorus that sounded nearly identical, but worked better in the loop except it ran on 18V. Couldn't deal with that. Then I swapped the M234 out for a TC Corona Chorus that my band's guitar player was selling. Sounded alright, worked better in the loop than the blue MXR. Then I got really annoyed by the congested mids, something the MXRs had as well. So I went on to look for something with less mids.

Enter the (sadly discontinued) SCF. Found it on Reverb in my country. Runs off a 230V adapter so arguably even less practical than the yellow MXR. It runs at 24V internally I believe. That makes it extremely quiet (low noise), clean and with high headroom. Tonally, it's a little mid scooped and has more highs. I believe it's one delay line of the TC 1210. Rocks with the Strymon DIG. Instant 80s!

Apparently Eric Johnson uses the SCF as well. ;D
Production and mixing

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
« Reply #4690 on: May 18, 2018, 11:50:57 am »
I did buy an Amplifi TT this week, as they're on special offer at GuitarGuitar for £89.
I've been wanting to do a bit experimenting with effects to find a few tones, and the TT ticks all the boxes. Ideal for headphone practice, effects are really easy to edit via the app, and I can stream backing tracks from my phone.

As a friendly warning, IMO I wouldn't hold the Amplfi as a great example of digital modelling.

I had one for a while partly as I needed something which I could take travelling, and it had the bonus of being a bluetooth receiver.

I worked quite well for that (with headphones or, in one case, plugged into the stereo of the apartment I was staying in) although I found the bluetooth to be quite unreliable.

But, compared with other modelling systems I've used, I found the Amplifi a bit uninspiring. YMMV.

It's good to have something like that to experiment with though.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline KasperFauerby

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 99
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #4691 on: May 18, 2018, 12:26:47 pm »
ETA: My chorus quest might finally be over with this TC Electronic SCF!

Congrats, TC normally makes great sounding time based effects! Hope it'll run reliable for you though, I've unfortunately had a bunch of technical problems with all my TC stuff over the years :(

I also have had some problems finding the "perfect" chorus. I've had the MXR M234 and also couldn't get used to the 18V requirements. Also had the Strymon Ola and tried a friends TC Corona.

But now I've landed on a Source Audio Gemini, which I think sounds really good... and I like how it can load other time based effects that I rarely use, but might need now and again for a recording. I'm actually really impressed with the latest Source Audio products, and have swapped out my entire time based effect range for SA stuff. Running the Gemini Chorus into a Nemesis Delay and into a Ventris Reverb. That's all the modulation I currently need, and if not - the Kemper got me covered ;)

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #4692 on: May 18, 2018, 12:52:14 pm »
Got myself a secondhand TC Electronics Nova System.
It's only 2 months old and still has lots of waranty on it, and I only paid 150€ for it.

I bought it to enlarge my pedalboard but I find it quite challenging to operate...

My first impression is that it is a bit to complicated to use it (gigs and so on) compared to my pedalboard (Tubescreamer, Boss DS-1, Big Muff, TC Polytune, Boss CS-3, Crybaby, TC Flashback delay, TC Hall of Fame Delay, Jamman Looper).

Not sure if I'm gonna keep the Nova System or just sell it.

Regards,
de_conne

BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 146
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #4693 on: May 18, 2018, 03:30:00 pm »
Got myself a secondhand TC Electronics Nova System.

does it sound nice? I always wonder how the drive section sound on these things.
Having a patch for each song is quite handy, especially in a cover band!

I use a digitech rp360 for the coverband at work an each song has a preset :)
not so easy to align volumes though
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline KasperFauerby

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 99
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #4694 on: May 18, 2018, 05:35:43 pm »
I was actually considering a Nova as part of that backup rig I’m building.
Did some research and it really seems like a cool unit all in all.
The drive section is analog, and effects are from their flagship (back then) the G System.

One main thing to be aware of though, you can’t run it 4 cable method!
Either you have everything in front of the amp, or you don’t use the drive section.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App