Author Topic: I came across an interesting article while reading February's issue of...  (Read 1006 times)

Deedice

Guitar player magazine.
So I wanted to discuss it with you all to see what you think.

Now I've honestly never heard of the guy before reading this article, however I wanted to discuss a quote from his guitar tech, Henry Trejo.
I'm going to bold and italicize the part I wanted to discuss.

"I would pass out earplugs to the kids in the front row and explain to them that they may want to back up a bit. Omar uses effects on certain songs that could make ears bleed and he's of the mindset that the more horrible and uncomfortable the sound the better. If people are shielding their ears and making expressions like they are about to be beheaded then he's happy. He'll loop that sound and keep it going while he sips water and wipes his face. In fact, Omar's approach to certain effects, particularly distortion, is to turn all of the knobs all of the way up."

Now I've followed Guitar Player magazine and I'm under the impression that they wouldn't make a cover story about some guy that sounded God awful while playing guitar.
So this has led me to wonder if his described method of setting up effects is something that a lot of people do, or what?
Also, I guess it could be argued what with higher quality pedals, it may not be such a bad thing to set up the way that he does.
I don't know, I just found it weird that the article also states that his pedal board sometimes consists of up to 45 different stompboxes.
There is no way that all of those pedals have true bypass.
What do you all think about the whole thing?

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 169
    • Point Fifty
Re: I came across an interesting article while reading February's issue of...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 07:48:46 am »
the guitarist is trying to be an entertainer, in his "own" way..
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:34:29 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Rodríguez-López#Style

in a feature appearing in Guitar World, Rodriguez-Lopez stated that he "began to see effects as allies in my war against the guitar". In that interview he also stated that he hated the guitar for a very long time. He only utilized it because it was the instrument his bandmates could "relate to". He said he "wrestled" guitar by adding effects and playing oddly to attempt "making it sound like anything besides this thing I hate—the guitar!"

hardly someone to hold up as an example for other guitarists for tone...
Nothing wrong with an unconventional musical style but the guy reads like a pompous jackass and lenny kravitz wannabe.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:46:50 am »
I wonder how long before the litigation commences - "your music sent me deaf"....
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Get The Forum As A Mobile App