Author Topic: Mojo  (Read 287 times)

Offline jules1972

• Good Vibes 0
Mojo
« on: February 08, 2019, 08:38:49 pm »
I've just finished Stage 2 and about to embark on Stage 3. While I enjoy playing what little I can I've lost a bit of my mojo. anyone know where I can find it?

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 408
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Mojo
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:41:12 pm »
Have you looked next to your banjo?

boom tish!

;D ;D ;D

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 408
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 08:42:23 pm »
What excites you about guitar jules?
What made you want to pick it up?

Your practice time should be learning then fun.

Do you blend both, get some learning done then have a blast?

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 09:50:08 pm »
Without knowing more background, I'd suggest:

• Practice regularly, but also reserve some time for "just playing." Practicing is problem solving. Just playing is playing for enjoyment/experimenting/etc. Make sure you block out time for both.
  • Play with other musicians. Personally, I find that there is nothing more inspiring than playing music with other people. Beginners often think they're "not good enough to play with other people," yet. This is a mistake, IMO. You should play music with others, early and often.

Offline sdd56

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 10:51:30 pm »
I also found motivation difficult early on, mainly because I didn't feel I was improving. Everything seemed difficult if not impossible.
What kept me going was keeping a spreadsheet record of 1 minute changes. The figures told me I was getting better, and gave me a motivation to keep going.
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 8.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7, Freshman FA1AN
Electric: Yamaha ERG121, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 112
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 12:10:01 am »
Jules

I empathise, as I have been there a few times, well several in the BC !! You are very early into the BC, so to help it would be good for you to articulate what you are feeling right now.

I've just been trying to search for my Lost Mojo post from a few years back but could not hit the thread. If I recall I was around Stage 5 or 6 and felt I was stagnating or maybe not progressing as quickly as I thought I should be.

For me I went back to the start of the BC (3 times in fact overall) but without knowing exactly where you think you mojo has gone, I'd say concentrate on songs from Stage 1 and 2 for a while and enjoy making some tunes. Feel good about making music and then go back to leaning the next technical steps.

Hope that helps

Toby
 8)

Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 12:53:53 am »
It's difficult in the first few stages but yes seeing the one minute changes improve helps. Also watching Justins song lessons and knowing that one day I will be able to play those songs also helped me keep motivated.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 06:50:25 am »
Jules

I empathise, as I have been there a few times, well several in the BC !! You are very early into the BC, so to help it would be good for you to articulate what you are feeling right now.

I've just been trying to search for my Lost Mojo post from a few years back but could not hit the thread. If I recall I was around Stage 5 or 6 and felt I was stagnating or maybe not progressing as quickly as I thought I should be.

For me I went back to the start of the BC (3 times in fact overall) but without knowing exactly where you think you mojo has gone, I'd say concentrate on songs from Stage 1 and 2 for a while and enjoy making some tunes. Feel good about making music and then go back to leaning the next technical steps.

Hope that helps

Toby
 8)

Good advice from Toby !!

I still follow that approach to years in ... learn some technique and then apply in songs.  And in my case I then set mini-goals as to which songs I will record and post in AVOYP to showcase the application of what I have learned and to get feedback as to how I am doing.

And at times I think I may have got the balance out a bit as I can tend to putting more focus on songs than on following the lessons and moving to the next stage.  But I figure while I am having fun, getting better at what I know and making music, so what.  It's primarily about enjoyment, not a "race" to complete stages and courses.

Offline DanniTSI3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 11:16:30 am »
Hey Jules!

Have you looked at Stage 3 songs yet?

Find a song that gets you excited! That's what motivates me!

I've had a few lost mojo moments too. But then one day I'll think of a song I'm interested in, or look, or even re watch one of Justin's song lessons to refresh and reinspire.

I think it's common. Acknowledge it but keep on going. Your mojo will resurface, I promise! You'll have a breakthrough and you will get excited, and any frustration will fall away as you are reinvigorated!

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 02:28:25 pm »
Yep, i know the feeling. When i lose my mojo, it helps to do something else. Play a game, read a book, take a walk, listen to your favourite artists, discover new music, anything really. Do something completely different. For me, it usually takes a day or two for my mojo to resurface. That's when i get the feeling that my guitar is calling me and that i should be playing, instead of doing something else.

I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 08:09:00 pm »
I've lost a bit of my mojo.
I would lose the rest of it to be honest. Who needs superstition and magic? Just play guitar and work at getting better every day.

Offline zedhead

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 10:29:03 pm »
We’ve all been there, it’s part of the journey I’m afraid.
What has helped me is learning songs, always make time to enjoy yourself. I made the mistake of concentrating solely on chord changes etc., I very nearly gave up ( again!!). It just wasn’t fun.
 Keep following Justin’s course but also have a look on YouTube for lessons of songs you like, but be realistic.
The gang on here are second to none for encouragement and advice.
Keep at it, you’re not alone in your frustration!! Cheers.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App