Author Topic: ST-316 • Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix)  (Read 30561 times)

strapp75

Re: ST-316 • Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 02:23:18 pm »
Hello everyone,

First of all sorry to bump an old thread.

One or two years ago i learnt Justin's version of little wing (or at least the intro). In the last 12 months i really became a better guitarist by praticing at least 3 hours a day (it helps when you're an insomniac..) and by learning a lot of theory.

So now i can easily play the intro and the chords progression....but during the verse i don't want to only play the basic chords progression so, by using the licks from the intro, i tried to improve the way i play the verse.

I also checked the "Lick Library's DVD: learn to play jimi Hendrix" and guess what ? For the verse the guy just says "the chords progession is always the same and it's an easy  one and if you want to play some licks during the verse use what you have learnt during the intro or try to make you own licks by using the chords".

So that what i try to do but it doesn't sounds as good as i wish. So for you guitar geniuses here how do you play the verse ? or, what do you play during the verse if you play over a backing track ?

Could you guys give me few tips/advices or give me a link to your version of little wing if you have one on youtube or something ?

David.

ps: sorry for my bad English but i'm French and i've tried to do my best ;-)

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 09:30:35 pm »
does anyone have the tab from justin? i find it really hard to learn notes from video... :-\
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

joshs

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 04:38:50 am »
I've never seen a decent tab of what he's doing during the verse. I'm working on my own, but it's slow going. Here's what I have for the first verse so far. This is not gospel of course and on top of that, I'm bad with this tab software, so it's as close as I can describe how I play it right now. It's missing some palm muting which is basically the whole beginning section. Hopefully folks will check in with additions and corrections.

Code: [Select]
E|----------------12\--|-----------------------|------------------------------|----------------|
B|----------------12\--|-----------------------|------------------------------|----------------|
G|----------------12\--|-------0---------------|------------------------------|--------5---5---|
D|---------------------|-------0-h-2-----------|--------------2---0-----------|--------7---5---|
A|---------------------|-------2-------2---2---|-2---2---2------------2---0---|----------------|
E|---------------------|-0-----0---------------|------------------------------|-3--------------|

E|-----------------------|--------|---------------------------|-------5-p-3----3---|
B|-----------------------|--------|---------------------------|-------3---3----3---|
G|-5---5---5---5---5-----|--------|-5---5---5------------5----|-------4---4----4---|
D|-7---9---7---5---7-----|--------|-9---7---5------------5----|--------------------|
A|-----------------------|--------|--------------5---7--------|--------------------|
E|-----------------------|-5------|---------------------------|-0------------------|

E|-------3---3------------|-------7---9---7---7---|-7------------------------------------|
B|-------3-------3--------|-------7---7---7---10--|-7------------------------------------|
G|-4-----------------2----|-----------------------|-----7---9-p-7------------9-p-7-------|
D|------------------------|-----------------------|-----------------7----7-----------7---|
A|------------------------|-----------------------|--------------------------------------|
E|------------------------|-7---------------------|--------------------------------------|

E|--------------------|---------------------------|-------3---3---3-------|-3----3--------------------|
B|--------------------|---------------------------|-------3---3---3-------|-1----1--------------------|
G|-------5---5---5----|---------------------------|-------5---------------|----------0----------------|
D|-------9---7---5----|---------------------------|-----------3---5\------|/3----3-------3---0--------|
A|--------------------|-8---7---8---7---8----8----|-----------------------|----------------------3----|
E|-5------------------|---------------------------|-3---------------------|---------------------------|

E|------------------------|--------|
B|------------------------|--------|
G|------------------------|--------|
D|------------------------|--------|
A|------------------------|--------|
E|/8-----8---8---8---8----|/10-----|

Nikhil

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 01:29:21 pm »
I have a query. Initially in the opening , just after we have made the two muted strokes near the fifth fret. We hit open A followed by hammer on on second fret. Followed by Open G . After this we move to the fifth fret and do the 5h7 on 5th string (simultaneously with 5th fret played on 4th string) .

My query is , as a beginner I am finding going from open A to 5th a bit tough. Can I rather play 5th fret on E string instead of open A. Followed by hammer on on the 7th fret. Do we play open A so that it keeps ringing for a longer time, therefore adding a richer sound ? I guess if I play 5th fret on E string the sound will die out sooner ?

joshs

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 07:25:08 pm »
You could play it like that. That's how I do it usually and I agree it's easier. Seems like most people play it open though. The main difference will be tone. Experiment and see which you like better.

Nikhil

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:27 am »
Hi people. Learned most of the intro .

Now doing the last part just before the D power chord where we have to do the C chord.

In it , first we hammer on the D and A strings in the normal C chord position.

And after that we have to hammer on the G string to the A note. And immediately after that there is a hammer on flick off on the B string to get the D note on that string.

I am having a lot of trouble getting this part right. How exactly do we play the D note. Is it like we give a stroke on which we do hammer on the G string and after that we give another stroke on which we get the hammer on and flick off on the B string ? And which strings should I hit for the two strokes. For the hammer-on on the G string I am hitting the G and B. And for the latter again I am hitting these two is it ok? Or should I hit all the 5 strings  ?

(Great exercise for the little finger by the way)

Also I am yet to buy an electric guitar so trying this on an acoustic just to develop the skill. It is sounding quite ok but the part which I describe , where the little finger is doing the hammer-on flick off , the sound is not so pronounced. Only half of the time when I do it does it sound ok, a lot of time it just dies down in the sound of the other strings vibrating. Which strings should be hit when we first do the C chord , i.e when we have to do hammer on on the A and D strings (I hope not all 5) ?  And will the situation improve on an electric ?

joshs

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 11:57:03 pm »
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B39DzZ_0A_ZgQkFyTm4tMVVRM0U/edit

That's a tab that includes the intro. Line 5 is what you want. Should be fairly accurate. And yeah, you're messing around with your pinky. I won't worry a ton about exactly which strings you hit, unless your obsessed with playing it note for note. It sounds more like he was just strumming around on those high strings and playing with the hammer ons and offs.

Offline The_real Bender

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 09:34:41 am »
Hi , i searched but cannot find this anywhere . Great lesson but has anyone ever done the very cool and slightly longer  live version intro ?  I would love to see a tab or a lesson please if at all possible . Cheers
Incidentally the anti spam captcha really really sucks thanks  ::) but great site  ;D

Offline jlr012

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 12:45:47 am »
I'm not seeing the tab anywhere on the lesson page???

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 07:04:21 am »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App