Author Topic: The Wind Cries Mary - Guitar cover  (Read 6355 times)

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
The Wind Cries Mary - Guitar cover
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:57:13 am »
I tried singing it and although the timing didnt give me trouble, it just didnt work, I ended up sounding like Borak half the time :p ( think : somewhere a king has no Wife ) and I kept cracking myself up so I ditched that idea.

But I have always loved this song, it just sounds so sweet to me, gentle  sort of. dunno.  Anyway I decided after having another go at the november rain solo for a while to go back to Jimi, I have learned a few of his numbers, but never get anything sounding what I felt was anywhere near good,  for example, the hey joe solo is not too hard to learn the notes for, but to get anything like the expression Jimi got in those simple notes is so hard somehow, it always sounds a bit flat when I play it ;)

anyway I decided to try and learn this song properly and mostly by ear ( with a few youtubes of jimi bashing it out, you get a pretty good view in a few of them )

I am not sure if this is how he played it but its where I got so far, it sounds close notes wise to me but I am not sure about some of it.  The solo is really tricky as it seems to me like I should be picking two strings a lot during it to immitate the intro lick, but I am very used to muting out the string under the one I am hitting that making sure I get it to ring is causing me trouble.

Also not sure about that little strumming bit in the solo there :p again I thought it sounded close and so went for it, it almost works :p

The intro lick is so simple and yet suprisingly hard again to get that sound, I fluffed it at the end a couple of times which annoyed me but I didnt want to waste too much time recording on this crappy webcam.  I would hate it more if I managed to play it flawlessly and only got it on that :p

the outro I am not sure of the last little lick really, I just kinda mash a hammer on down without really knowing which notes I want, again its tricky with your index finger being flattened and your other fingers needing to stay round to fill out the chord.

You can mess around with the verse playing it with the reversed chord shape down nearer the headstock, but I like the sound up on the higher frets so kept it there even with the big slide down to that F.

Also the lick between the verses I am not sure of at all, the way I do it if I time it right it fits in well with the drums, but I dont feel like its quite there.

Anyway any pointers would be good ;)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=88gMapimwyY
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 09:59:32 am by DeadlyChicken »
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 153
    • Point Fifty
Re: The Wind Cries Mary - Guitar cover
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:27:01 am »
ooh can't wait to listen back at home
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

JitsuDan

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 12:02:49 pm »
Nicely done :)

joe-90

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 12:17:52 pm »
That was excellent, captures the feel just right. Make it into lesson when you get the time. You've got a great natural talent - so share it around.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 153
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 01:23:59 pm »
Iwannagohomaandlisten Iwannagohomaandlisten Iwannagohomaandlisten Iwannagohomaandlisten
:)

heared this song this morning, as there is a Jimi compilation in my car.
Wind creis Mary and Castles (and many others) are such sweet dreamy songs.

was that a cat having a cameo in the video?

Offline Kane

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 01:39:47 pm »
Only caught the first half (at work at the minute) but it seems like a good rendition :)
quote ; If it sounds like s*** it is s*** ..."

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 01:47:25 pm »
I just listened to Hendrix playing and I though you captured it really well.

It would sound even better if you upgraded your recording equipment. :-)
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 02:13:40 pm »
Excellent DC!
Gone

Quark

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 02:28:54 pm »
Very Nice DC!

W

rendelven

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 03:08:49 pm »
Very nice. I love that song. You definitely need to get some higher quality recording equipment!

bananajoe

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 05:32:59 pm »
Wow! Really blew me away. Unbelievable how much you improved in the last couple of videos.
At least please admit that you're practicing like hell  ;D.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 153
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 05:36:43 pm »
finally got to watch it: masterfull! see those fingers go!
jimi style barring included!  nice

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 10:27:27 pm »

was that a cat having a cameo in the video?
1) it is a dog, if you can call it that, and thats not the smallest one we have :/ it likes music ;)

It would sound even better if you upgraded your recording equipment. :-)
I would love to, but then I couldn't blame my tone on the recording equipment :D  Seriously tho, I may be able to get a new camcorder or something after Chrimbo but money is tight so will have to wait and see, I agree tho its annoying with the webcam, I even swapped to a slightly faster PC under the webcam, I had to drop the quality as otherwise about half way through a song then entire recording would just slow right down to half speed and change the pitch, which is kinda a weird effect :D

Make it into lesson when you get the time.

I would do a lesson if people wanted one, but again its not really worth it with this camera, so I might have to wait until I get a better camera that you can see more clearly what I am doing.  The main bulk of the song is fairly straight forward, you can do it with E shaped barres, and that little reverse chord hammer on lick ( I think justin teaches it in his hendrix chords lesson ) the solo is kinda different, and it took a while as I am not as comfortable on a strat as a les paul and I wanted to be picking the notes up near the neck pickup to get a fuller sound.

At least please admit that you're practicing like hell

I am kinda although not very structured atm, more just practicing songs I like rather than exercises, and I know I should.  This one I have had some of the bits for it for a while, but went back to it about a week or so ago, and been hammering it out, I would have maybe uploaded sooner but as I described with my camera, I was trying to improve the quality and I would record 4 or so goes, and then watch them back and they would all go through this super slow down half way through.  So I eventually dropped to lowest quality and it At least records relatively in sync, and I think it keeps up the tempo.

Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline agordon

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:40:42 pm »
Great job DC.  I really enjoyed this one.  Im gonna say this is close to the best playing ive seen posted on this site.  Man this would be awsome with some new recording equipment.  Guess we can anxiously wait for another posting when you get that upgraded equipment.

Yeah, a lesson on the solo part would be great.  I would definitely use it.
Guitars: Taylor 314CE, Guild D50 Dreadnought, Alvarez RD8, Gibson LP Std. Trad. Pro, Warmoth Custom Strat, MIA Strat, MIM Tele, PRS SE Singlecut
Amps: Blackstar HT-5S, Peavey Classic VT 2X12, Kustom KMA35DFX
Effects: Line6 JM4, Vox Tonelab ST

lefty git-box guy

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 06:50:09 pm »
pretty sweet, i like it  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App