Author Topic: BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley  (Read 145219 times)

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2020, 01:17:01 pm »
Also find that I can't concentrate on strumming at the same time as trying to play the chords. So it's just one strum per bar, as doing anymore is just off putting!!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2020, 01:26:10 pm »
Also find that I can't concentrate on strumming at the same time as trying to play the chords. So it's just one strum per bar, as doing anymore is just off putting!!

You're not expected to play every song at the right tempo from the off. :)

If you haven't got one already, get a metronome.

Play 4 strums a bar at a tempo you're comfortable with in time with the metronome. Increase the tempo gradually.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2020, 01:34:26 pm »
At the moment it just seems like a bunch of chords which without the backing track from the video nobody would have a clue what I was attempting to play.

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2020, 01:37:34 pm »
You're not expected to play every song at the right tempo from the off. :)

If you haven't got one already, get a metronome.

Play 4 strums a bar at a tempo you're comfortable with in time with the metronome. Increase the tempo gradually.
I can use the metronome from JG's site but was attempting this to match the video.

Have bought JG's Beginners Songbook but not really sure how to use it as it doesn't tell you what speed to play things at.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2020, 01:45:27 pm »
At the moment it just seems like a bunch of chords which without the backing track from the video nobody would have a clue what I was attempting to play.

I don't know how long you've been playing, so take this at face value.

Yep, it will sound rubbish played slow, it isn't fantastic unaccompanied at the 'right' speed. A lot of Justin's beginner's songs are simplified anyway, so don't get too hung up on that.

The object is to build your skills, not jump straight in and be accomplished.

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2020, 01:52:24 pm »

Have bought JG's Beginners Songbook but not really sure how to use it as it doesn't tell you what speed to play things at.

Yeah the lack of tempi in BS1 is a bit of an important omission, and it would have been good if Justin could have given them in his new videos. BS2 has them, but some of the songs are a bit more difficult.

As I said, play at a speed you're comfortable with, and gradually increase it. You're at the start of your guitar journey, have patience. And perseverance :)

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2020, 01:58:47 pm »
I don't know how long you've been playing, so take this at face value.
6 months since first picking up a guitar, and probably 3 months since using JG's site.

The object is to build your skills, not jump straight in and be accomplished.
I understand that but find when trying to change chords whatever skills I might have go out the window as I fumble to get my fingers in the right place. I can play the chords individually when doing my practice, but still struggling with the one minute changes ( and not quick enough to move on to another lesson).

Had a go using the metronome at 60 BPM & the Beginners Songbook but kept losing my place. can't look at three things at a time - right hand, left hand and book!

This is going to be a long struggle just to get this one song anywhere close.

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2020, 02:03:20 pm »
You're at the start of your guitar journey, have patience. And perseverance :)
You are right and I do understand!! Will keep going.

This reminds me of when I did my original CAD training back in the '90's, where I had to put a circle in a square so that the sides of the circle touch the sides of the square. Couldn't do it for weeks but now don't even think when doing it. Just comes natural!! Same with the guitar I guess. Time will tell.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2020, 07:33:47 pm »
Had a go using the metronome at 60 BPM & the Beginners Songbook but kept losing my place. can't look at three things at a time - right hand, left hand and book!
That’s not the way to learn a song, learn a few bars at a time until you’ve got them then add a few more, learn them and repeat until you’ve got the verse and chorus and that’s it just repeat. Playing from tab will not teach you how to play the song through, it’s there to tell you what it is that’s all.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2020, 08:00:53 pm »
6 months since first picking up a guitar, and probably 3 months since using JG's site.
I understand that but find when trying to change chords whatever skills I might have go out the window as I fumble to get my fingers in the right place. I can play the chords individually when doing my practice, but still struggling with the one minute changes ( and not quick enough to move on to another lesson).

Watch Justin’s video on the song, he explains the issue your having, I’ve been there and sense your frustration but practising one minute changes is the answer, are you using your first finger as an anchor finger for all three chords.

If 60 bpm is too fast fight now try it at 40 bpm.

You will crack it if you perservere  ;D
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2020, 10:56:36 am »
Ziggy Marley can give you some good ideas on the strumming. He's not a reggae as Bob but still keeps the groove.
Three Little Birds starts at 5:00 He's playing it in G
https://youtu.be/XX5S2gXy3ps

Just had a look at this. He doesn't seem to be playing the same chords as Justin's video!

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2020, 11:03:25 am »
Just had a look at this. He doesn't seem to be playing the same chords as Justin's video!

A lot of Justin's beginner's songs are simplified anyway, so don't get too hung up on that.

;)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2020, 12:00:52 pm »
True, Stitch said he was playing it in G which is to suit his vocal range. It was just for reference to the strumming pattern.
He’s playing barre chords E shape - G on the 3rd fret, C on the 8th fret and F on the 13th fret.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:22:36 pm by DarrellW »
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 50
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2020, 06:44:20 pm »
True, Stitch said he was playing it in G which is to suit his vocal range. It was just for reference to the strumming pattern.
He’s playing barre chords E shape - G on the 3rd fret, C on the 8th fret and F on the 13th fret.
And this is the whole point of many of Justin’s song versions in his books and videos. Many are simplified but later on as your skills improve you can revisit them and put a whole new interpretation and dynamic into them with different chord voices, keys etc.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #164 on: May 31, 2020, 11:22:38 pm »
That’s not the way to learn a song, learn a few bars at a time until you’ve got them then add a few more, learn them and repeat until you’ve got the verse and chorus and that’s it just repeat.
Thanks for that, as this is what I have been doing on and off all day & can now play the correct chords at the speed in the video. Strumming is still a problem but one thing at a time!!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2020, 12:32:24 am »
And this is the whole point of many of Justin’s song versions in his books and videos. Many are simplified but later on as your skills improve you can revisit them and put a whole new interpretation and dynamic into them with different chord voices, keys etc.
Yes, I usually play this using the original chords but E = A shape barre on 7th fret, A = E shape barre on 5th fret and D = A shape barre on 5th fret. To see this in action my favourite cover of it by Sarah Smith:

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2020, 11:41:53 pm »
Yes, I usually play this using the original chords but E = A shape barre on 7th fret, A = E shape barre on 5th fret and D = A shape barre on 5th fret.
I don't even know what that means!! Having checked this is part of the IM course, which is way in the distance for me.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2020, 05:15:44 am »
I don't even know what that means!! Having checked this is part of the IM course, which is way in the distance for me.
I agree, but it’s useful to know about it. There’s other ways it can be done as well but theory of triads and inversions are needed. Stick to the original lesson and work on it; I still play 3 little birds because it’s a great song but I play it more like Sarah Smith.

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2020, 06:39:51 pm »
Been having another go at this one. I can play the chords and even use a DDDUD strum but it just doesn't sound anywhere close to the song. Trying to sing along with this (in my head) I can't work out where the words should be in relation to the chord changes. The Beginners songbook doesn't really help and in the video Justin seems to miss out some strums to get the words in the right place, unless I'm not counting correctly. And this is supposed to be an easy song!!

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2020, 06:42:25 pm »
Also trying to count 1,2,3,4 and sing the words is really difficult!!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 562
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2020, 06:48:54 pm »
@stuartw

The original is a reggae rhythm which really doesn't fall neatly into the beginner repertoire of simple, basic strum patterns as it is an off-beat down strum style.
So you have to feel a song like this much more.
Can I recommend you move your attention to The Tide Is High.
This also uses just A, D and E chords (although for the original to play along with you need to capo at fret 2 iirc) and follows a reggae-ish style but you may find it easier to grab on to the groove.
https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/blondie-tide-is-high-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-bs-128

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 323
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2020, 07:27:52 am »
Been having another go at this one. I can play the chords and even use a DDDUD strum but it just doesn't sound anywhere close to the song. Trying to sing along with this (in my head) I can't work out where the words should be in relation to the chord changes. The Beginners songbook doesn't really help and in the video Justin seems to miss out some strums to get the words in the right place, unless I'm not counting correctly. And this is supposed to be an easy song!!

Have you tried playing along with Justin as teaches how to play the song in his lesson. I did that and it helped me. I began following along when he played the 4 down strums slowed way down and eventually was able to play along as he performs the song at the start of the lesson.

That said, I have recorded my playing and singing it and am still not getting the words and the strumming on the off-beat correct. So may be simple in terms of chords used, simple lyrics, but is not nearly as simple as it may seem to play and sing it with that reggae feel.

Online stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2020, 12:07:25 am »
@stuartw

The original is a reggae rhythm which really doesn't fall neatly into the beginner repertoire of simple, basic strum patterns as it is an off-beat down strum style.
So you have to feel a song like this much more.
Noted. Kind of begs the question why it is listed in the beginners section though!!
@stuartw
Can I recommend you move your attention to The Tide Is High.
This also uses just A, D and E chords (although for the original to play along with you need to capo at fret 2 iirc) and follows a reggae-ish style but you may find it easier to grab on to the groove.
https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/blondie-tide-is-high-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-bs-128
Thanks for the heads up with this one. I'll give it a go. I remember when this originally was released :-)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App