Author Topic: BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley  (Read 151063 times)

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
Re: BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2013, 04:51:57 pm »
Just got the Beginner's Songbook the other day, and having the same problem as with other songs on the Internet. At what word do you change chords??? When I watch his video, Justin's changes aren't right above the words of the song as in the book. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the chord and it's corresponding words in a different font or color from the previous one? Just alternate between each chord and there would be no confussion. Also, being a beginner it would be nice to post a basic tempo with each song to help us get started. Would appreciate any help with understanding this. Thanks.

I've just had a look at my Beginner's book and the lyrics fall where they should. Remember that with lyrics there is room for embellishment so not everyone's take on the song will be exactly the same. Here's what I'd suggest:

1. Go listen to the song on youtube and become familiar with it. Learn the lyrics to memory.
2. Set your metronome at whatever bpm you're comfortable at and play the song through, 4 beats per bar and all downstrums (don't sing until you have the chord sequences down to memory).
3. Start humming the lyrics as you strum along and maybe just singing the words that fall on the first beat of each bar. For instance:

----------1----------2----------3----------4----------1----------2--------
hummmworryhummmhummmhummmhummmthinghummmhummm

After a while, if you've listened to the song and you're familiar with it, the lyrics fall into place naturally.

If you have a metronome with 'tap tempo' then just play the song on youtube and find the bpm that way. If it doesn't you can get a metronome app on Android or the App store with tap tempo built in. Find the tempo and practice 10, 20 or 20bpm less, slowly working your speed up as your changes get fast enough.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2013, 08:06:28 pm »
Just got the Beginner's Songbook the other day, and having the same problem as with other songs on the Internet. At what word do you change chords???

Part of it is the reggae. If you want to get a bit more 'in tune' with the song without getting too complicated - strum four strums to the bar, but strum the up-strums. So (1) AND (2) AND (3) AND (4) AND. Silent on 'beat', strum up on the and's. Same strumming motion and timing as you use for your usual four strums per bar strumming.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline FragDaddy

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2013, 01:29:07 am »
Thank you Replicant and Mouser for taking the time to respond. I hear what you are saying, but being a 'newb' and buying a 'beginners' book, I guess I was hoping to be spoon fed.  ;)  I have a metronome, but thought it wouldn't hurt for a base tempo to be listed. Also, I don't like (probably cause I'm not good enough) to improvise. I have thought for years if they would distinguish the chord with the intended corresponding words, it would really help the beginners like myself. Pretty discouraged as I was hoping this might be the magic answer, but I'll keep plugging away. Thanks again.
PS. Tried to 'like' your comments, but this forum doesn't have that feature??

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2013, 01:47:32 am »

PS. Tried to 'like' your comments, but this forum doesn't have that feature??

<applaud> over on the left side.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2013, 01:48:46 am »
it wouldn't hurt for a base tempo to be listed.

This has come up in the past - the problem is that most beginners wouldn't be able to play the songs at "full speed", so would either be driven into bad habits by trying to play faster than their current skill level allowed, or give up in disgust. The right speed is the speed that you can play at.

if they would distinguish the chord with the intended corresponding words, it would really help the beginners like myself.

In the Beginner's Song book, the chords are written pretty much where they should fall - it's sometimes part way through the words, but what should drive you is knowing how many bars (mostly 1 bar = 4 beats/strums) you need to play each chord for - certainly in the first part of the Beginners's Song book the chord is written once for each bar, so you should do 4 x down strums for each chord that you see, then change to the next. It's a step up the learning curve to appreciate that it's the rhythm that drives the chord changes, rather than the lyrics.

Don't be downhearted - we've all been there.

Offline FragDaddy

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2013, 05:47:39 am »
Thanks for the info and encouragement misterg, I need them both!  :)  I've tried for years to play, had 6 different instructors (horrible, each for their own reasons), and tried different online courses, and bought numerous things 'guaranteed' to work, but no luck yet. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I think I should be better than I am...... I can play and switch chords and stuff, but I just can't seem to make music. Hell, I'd be happy to play Mary had a little lamb at this point....  ;)

PS. Speaking of not so sharp, can't find the 'like' on the left. All I see is 'view profile' and 'personal message.'  Maybe Justin felt I wasn't smart enough to have a 'like' button!  ;)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2013, 06:20:38 am »
you need a few more posts before you see the applaud button
:)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2013, 10:18:15 am »
...bought numerous things 'guaranteed' to work....

Thanks for the feedback :) - I had tried to teach myself for about 20 years pre internet using many different methods, books, etc. (that Burt Weedon was a liar ;) ), and never got much beyond the point that you seem to be at now. I decided I was either going to learn to play properly or give away my guitar and started looking for tutors, etc. which led to finding Justin's site. I assumed I knew nothing and started from lesson 1 of the Beginner's course. From that experience, I'd say that Justin's Beginner's Course is truly a work of genius - it is far cleverer than it looks on the surface. It comes as close to being guaranteed to work as I can tell, but you do need to follow it slavishly, and practice all the things in the early stages that sound beginner-ish and not like you want to play - they are the foundations of the stuff that you do want to play. Also, don't get too far ahead of yourself - if something hasn't been covered by the course yet, then there will be a reason and you should (generally) stay away from it (it's easy to get into bad habits with strumming/rhythm - I know!). It needed a few months of discipline and self control, but it worked wonders for me.

YMMV :)

Offline FragDaddy

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2013, 03:26:08 pm »
Thanks for letting me know that close2u, now I don't feel quite as dumb. (can't tell you how long I searched that stupid page looking for it!). Kinda like how you make a blonde girl go insane, put her in a round room and tell her there is a dollar in the corner!  ;) 
Thanks misterg for sharing your story, it sounds VERY similar to mine. Can't tell you how many times I wanted to just get rid of it all, unfortunately that isn't my style....I've followed Justin's site for years and I kinda felt I owed him something for what he has and tried to teach me, so that's why I bought the book. I will devote a couple of solid hours to it later today and see if I can't make a little headway. Thanks again.
PS. Not wanting to get laughed off the board, but I have played RockSmith for the last year and a half and that has helped me more than anything else so far. Has anyone else tried that as a compliment to other methods? (I think I hear a roar of laughter across the pond!)   ;)

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2013, 03:54:05 pm »
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Goooner1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2013, 07:35:55 pm »
No laughter from me had RS since the US release and looking forward to RS2014 in October.

It won't teach you to play on it's own, but in conjunction with this site it's brilliant. It certainly makes you want to keep practicing :)

Offline FragDaddy

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2013, 04:03:03 pm »
Thanks Dr. for the link and Goooner. Glad to see I don't have to keep it as my 'dirty little secret' anymore!  ;)  Any time you have a guitar in your hands, that's a good thing, and RS has kept one in my hands for hundreds of hours (just set the new high score for Super Slide last night). :)
As for the song book, I can follow along with Justin when he does a video, but without that, it is really hard for me to know where to change chords. I don't have a very musical ear and I can't seem to 'hear' the changes in the song. I'll keep playing with him and maybe it will come with more time. Thanks again.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2013, 07:56:28 am »
Hey Frag, you'll find that if you practice consistently with a solid rhythm and count the beats along eventually you will 'feel' where the chords change without thinking about it :) A lot of the first part of the journey is repetition!!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2013, 09:39:07 pm »
@FD.. Might want to read entire message first because I am eventually going to tell you try to learn this --not-- as a Reggae song... which I think you are probably trying to do.... so I have made some Reggae oriented suggestions. I got distracted writing all this so I hope it makes sense...

Try playing the bass note then the chord. Boom chick.  Now you can mute the bass strings to make it even easier and play the chord on the upstrum which can get into a bit of a Ska feel. Very mechanical. That is not Reggae

The way the lesson is taught it's taking a Reggae song ( feel ) and making it an easy strumming Folk song. You probably hear in your head though the Reggae feel of the Marley version.

But the count is always going to be  1 2 3 4. Now the thing is, for the Reggae version the guitar is really playing 1 2  3  4   accents on the 2 and 4. They are down stabs.

The problem is they are singing to the other beats.... so when you try to do it yourself the bass groove is gone and drums with their tick tick tick are gone too.

Sooo... if you want to try to keep a bit of the reggae feel you can try this....

1 - play that as a down strum on the bass strings. Doesn't matter if they are muted or not, but your hand needs to bounce right up. Not a full swing but it still forms a down up movement of your arm.

1 - Down
& - bring hand/arm up but don't strum strings
2 - accented down strum on whole chord
& - upstrum
3 - light regular downstrum on whole chord
& regular upstrum on chord
4 - accented down strum
& - bring hand/arm up without strumming chord and get ready for next 1 with that little thumping bass note up/down action as 1 above. OR... you can strum this up too, muted or not.

Just keep repeating that. None of the chords change mid way. Everything will change on the 1 and because you are muting the bass note it gives you time to form your next chord and be ready for that accented 2.

Alternately... and to get started try this....

Open the book in front of you so your see the words and chord change. Play to this video.. The drum intro leads to the bass coming in on 1. When that comes in play a down strum and bounce up on the bass notes. Muted is fine. Then play the chords on the 2 and 4 as down strums with bass bumps in between. this should feel very natural. Bass chord bass chord bass chord. The chord should always hit where you hear that "skank" ( scratch sound ).

If you get locked in when the lead guitar comes in he will play his note before you strum your chord and your chord -should- sound like it matches. the only exception is the D line over "this is my message..."... just hold your count steady..... If you stay locked up when they sing "Don't worry" you should still be dead on.

If you find you are getting off, you either need to slow down or speed up. Reggae has what is know as the "bubble" and you can actually find yourself either locked to 1/8 or 1/16 notes on this song. either works. It probably depends on how much Reggae you have in your head and if you are hearing the bubble as you play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGYAAsHT4QE

Now having said all that... because of the nature of Reggae, if you want to go for that feel, you are going to have certain aspects of the song down cold. Like can you sing it? If so then play -to- your singing that would be ideal. There are just so many parts that create true Reggae and for even advanced players to do it, is very difficult. Most people can not play Reggae so don't feel alone.

This lesson is to get you strumming with 3 popular chords. Justin has the notes right where they need to be. Try singing the song as a ballad. Make the chord change words extend. Exaggerate them.

Don;t worryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy about a thinggggggggggggggggg. Extend the words because they are the root note of the chord that you are playing and will help hold the music up. the other words are other scale tones and could throw you off.

If you have listened to Bob's version very much, then learning this in a Folk method of getting on the beats might seem odd but... if you get it so you can play it on the beats, you will be able to transition to the Reggae feel easier ( as long as you or someone else there can carry the vocal melody )...

But once you get to doing the Reggae guitar solo you either need to be very advanced because most Reggae parts are sparse and complex and while locked to a rhythm, they are not necessarily locked -on- a beat like 1 2 3 4.....

Again, Reggae is a massive rabbit hole that sounds easy but is incredibly intricate so it's no wonder you have problems if you try to play this solo as a beginner in Reggae fashion.

Try to sing and play the song like cowboy lullaby ballad... all your strumming and chords should line up right where Justin has them and with your singing. Once you get the changes down, try singing -to- your playing. By that time you should be strumming well and steady. Just sing to it, if you miss words don't worry, just hum, make noise, but keep strumming in time.

The book tells you to try the off beats after you get through Stage 4. I would not use upstrums if you aspire to learning Reggae. If you are SKA oriented though that would probably be a good idea.

The reason why is because a Reggae player will be chopping down on the strings and there will be a little bounce at the bottom that gets played as an upstroke ( sometimes.. maybe 50% as desired  ) and it's only catching the high strings. that's a major difference between SkA and Reggae. SKA might sound like stiff chick chick chick and Reggae will more often sound like swung chicka chicka chicka. This creates two totally different sounds. A good exercise would be to do it both ways until you can keep time and clearly hear the difference.

1st - Folk - Get your strums on the beat
2nd - Try the SKA upbeat strums. You should feel like you are popping like a pogo stick
3rd - Swung skanks chicka style downstrum. This should give you swaying back and forth Reggae feel

Don't expect that to happen over night. At the same time... with this lesson... don't be concerned you don't sound like Bob Marley ( no one else does either ) ... just try to make the song your own with the chords changing smoothly in the proper place as Justin has them notated.

Gone

Offline LMychajluk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2013, 01:08:23 am »
Not sure if this is the spot to ask, but is anyone else having trouble w/ the YouTube video? I've tried a few times over the last week or so and it always seems to stop downloading around the 1:07 mark.

Offline raj2488

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2013, 06:46:59 am »
Hello guys..How do I play the chords in between two bar lines?i just started to play the three little birds and noticed Justin strumming only four downstrokes for the intro part,|A|A|A|A| but I understand from the introduction section on the songbook that I got to play a chord between bar lines for a full bar and two beats if two chords found between bar lines..is there any exception for intros?appreciate if someone can explain me this..thank you.

Offline Arshile22

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2013, 05:36:23 pm »
I've put together a little summary of the very basic things that I have found helpful in this forum.  As I just learned how to hold my pick properly 5 days ago, I am only including the very basic things that I was able to understand-  There is much more advice in the previous posts, and it's worth looking to- but this is just a little shortcut to the beginner's advice I created for myself and thought others might find it helpful.

Step 1  Learn the correct chords.  Justin's beginner course recommends to learn the chord shapes, strum each individual strings to make sure you are not muting any of the notes that contribute to the chord.  This also builds handstrength you will be thankful for after about 5 or more hrs of practice. The Chord progression for this simplified version of Marley's Three Little Birds is;
Intro AAAA
Chorus AADA  AADA
Verse AEAD  AEDA

song goes  Intro-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus x 3

Step2  Be able to switch chords smoothly.  Practice One-Minute Changes in the Beginner Course.  Personally, I set up my own 1 min changes exercise, applying the chords as they change in this song.   Commit the chords to memory.

Step 3  Work on playing the song through at a consistent tempo.  *This is perhaps the most important step for beginners*  Do not worry if you do not play the chord perfectly.   Also, you should be striving to change chords in rhythm without pausing.  If you need to pause then you need to slow down your tempo until you no longer need to pause.  It may be helpful to do this in concert with the metronome feature that Justin now has in the tool bar.  Start at a pace of maybe 15-20 bpm, work up towards maybe 60 bpm.  As I understand this songs tempo is  about 72-76 bpm.  It is more important for your strumming to be in rhythm at this point than for your chords to sound perfect and clear-  this quality will come the more you play the song.

Step 4  Start adding the vocals.  Better check someone else's advice on this one- I'm not that far.

Like I said, I just learned how to hold the pick- I just put these steps together to help organize my practice.  If anyone sees any correction that could be made for the better please make a reply.  Also, I hope I don't offend any other members of this sight by either repeating their advice or leaving out there advice.  I could only organize that which I could clearly understand.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:50:28 pm by Arshile22 »

Offline jillettante

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2014, 11:14:11 pm »
Justin has a very good 10 Step method for learning a song. Click on Lesson Index in the sidebar and, once there, scroll, scroll, scroll down to TE-401--Singing and Playing at the Same Time.

Even though the emphasis for many, if not most, of us is the guitar part, we're not learning to play melody in the early stages but only accompaniment to the songs. So it couldn't hurt to at least know how to quietly sing along with our playing.

When it comes to Step 2 "Learn the guitar part," there's no substitute for LOTS of repeats with the metronome, starting ridiculously slow and increasing maybe only by 2 beats with each repetition until you're smoothly changing chords at the correct tempo, which after the 10 recommended listens (Step 1) sounded like a 76 to me.

Offline spinsheet

• Good Vibes 0
    • Bicycling off the beaten path
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:58 am »
I am a complete beginner and a bit guitar challenged. That being said...

I was watching the video for Three Little Birds and just can't quite figure out the chord progression throughout the song. I was honestly trying to watch and write it down but kept getting lost. Could someone please fill me in on how many bars of each chord one does throughout the song?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2014, 02:25:17 am »
Did you watch the whole thing?

A A D A
A A D A

A E A D
A E D A

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2014, 06:31:06 am »
hello and welcome ...
Justin always describes the chord progression.
You have to listen follow, repeat etc.
Can I suggest you get the songbook that accompanies the beginner course?
http://justinguitar.com/en/PR-102-BeginnersSongbook.php

Offline jaycee

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2014, 06:33:51 pm »
I have just bought the book and highly recommend it, if you haven't already got it.

I have posted a chord and lyric video on you tube for this song, and hopefully (as it's my first one) it will help.

Have a look at Justin's 10 step method for learning a song,   http://justinguitar.com/en/TE-401-SingingAndPlaying.php which I have written on the inside cover, and added an 11th step of performing it in front of another person (s)

Have fun

Every time you see the chord name strum down 4 times

Offline lorella

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2014, 03:28:05 pm »
Hallo everyone!! Today justin beginner's songbook is arrived and now I'm trying to play three little birds. I'd like to know how many b.p.s. I must used for the metronome and if the third strumming pattern that justin shows in the video is DDUUD. Thanks a lot for the answer and sorry for my English

Offline Andreas Fischer

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Andreas Fischer - private Website
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2014, 03:34:28 pm »
how many bpm? dont know but i recomend, try it realy slow, its a reggae

and try it first with only down strumms, it helps to start easy ... i startet with something complicated and failed
Andreas Fischer
21. Oct. 2012: Just got a Fender Squier Affinity Strat after 25 Years not playing Guitar. It is my first E-Guitar.
Update; Now i have more than a Dozen Guitars

Offline lorella

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2014, 03:52:36 pm »
Thanks andreas I'll try it slowly but I saw the video and I like more with a down-up strumming

Get The Forum As A Mobile App