Author Topic: BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley  (Read 152649 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 06:44:24 am »
do i need to strum that amount of strings

yes

or i strum all strings on each chord?

no

simples  :)

wobble_master

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 09:11:53 pm »
Quote from: Sh4d0W
First is intro: A A A A
Then it should go like this? : A A D A (twice), and then verse: A E A D A E D A (?)

Is it right?

Quote from: Wobble_Master
Intro: A A A A
Chorus: A D A A D A
Verse: A E D A A E D A
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Chorus
Chorus (Fade)

Could anyone please confirm if either of us have this right?, it sounds right (or as good as its going to get with me playing it  ;D) I've played both ways and think that Sh4d0W had it right?

Thanks in advance W

Aluch

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 08:24:52 pm »
First is intro: A A A A
   Then it should go like this? : A A D A (twice), and then verse: A E A D A E D A (?)
Is it right?
(Sorry for stupid post :P and Sorry for my bad English)
intro part is 1 bar of A(4 down strumming )
2 bars A(4 down) and at Cause 1 bar D (down strum)
@ gonna be alright 1 bar A
verse:
1 bar A (rise up), 1bar E (smile...)
1 A (three...), 1 D (on my...), 1 A (singing..), 1 E (melodies..), 1 D (saying...), 1A (message to..)

repeat all
that little intro somoeone suggested is nice I will ask a bassist beginner where I go for song circle to play the whole time while we strum the song

jojox

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 03:00:08 pm »
Hi! I would like to know if Justin, plaiyng this song, stops the strings from ringing after every chord or just let them ring in between two chords, for eample A A or also A E. Thank in advance :)

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 12:07:22 am »
You can strum it with your fingers if you like. But picks are seriously cheap. Buy some, or make a makeshift one for now. Hehe.... I've even made them out of cigarette paper packets before, so I can strum quietly at night.

elshobokshy

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 05:47:18 pm »
Could you please tell me Justin how to play Happy Birthday song.... Make a quick video on how to do it please ? :(

radiohannibal

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 11:14:01 pm »
Justin mentions pdf files for these songs, which I assume has lyrics and chords, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.  Little help please?

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 01:21:05 am »

Sorry, they were removed from the site for copyright reasons.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

radiohannibal

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 02:18:30 pm »
The bastards.  Ha.  Happy new year all.

jamshick

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 01:27:58 pm »
really sorry if this is a simple question but when I move from an E to the D cord the E string keeps ringing and then makes the D cord sound off. Is there a way to stop this from happening? Again sorry for the simple question but I've only just started playing so it could be just because I'm doing something wrong! Thanks in advance  :)

flyhead

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 01:37:09 pm »
Once you become adept at this chord change you can use your thumb-tip to mute the E string. If you are still having problems with the change then simply ignore the ringing of the E string for now.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 02:47:51 pm »

@jamshick - until you are able to wrap your thumb over the neck, you should be practicing not striking the open E and A strings when playing the D chord. 
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

jamshick

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 03:00:01 pm »
thanks for the quick reply guys, I tried using my thumb to mute the E string like flyhead suggested and it worked. So I might only be able to play one song but at least it vaguely sounds in tune now! thanks again

Offline Died244

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 10:55:58 pm »
I was wondering, are there any nice off-beats strumming patterns that I can apply? I'm still a bedroom rocker, so the only patterns I know are "D&D&D&D&" and "D&DU&UD&"... Any pattern that sounds nice with this song...

Shonewizard

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 02:43:00 pm »
Hi all, at the start to say this is the best site what i find for learning guitars :) all cheers  :-* And now i need more help about this lesson. I have to practice more changing this 3 chords, but i need help when to play chords and when to sing words from the song?

themaxpowers

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2011, 08:21:48 am »

Chorus:

A
Don't worry, about a thing

D                              A
Cause' every little thing, gonna be alright

(A)
Singin' don't worry, about a thing

Verse:

A
Rise up this mornin'

E
Smile with the rising sun

D                 A
three little birds pirch by my doorstep

(A)
Singin' sweet songs

E
of melodys pure and true

D                   A
sayin', this my message to you-oo-oo

Chorus:

A

D                                   A
Cause' every little thing, (is) gonna be alright

(A)
Singin' don't worry, (don't worry) about a thing

(Verse)

(Chorus)

(Chorus)

(Chorus)Fade

There are some mistakes in yours, this is the corrected version played by Justin (if your lyrics are correct).

Chorus:

A          A
Don't worry, about a thing

(A)

Verse:

A
Rise up this mornin'

E
Smile with the rising sun

A                 D
three little birds pirch by my doorstep

(A)
Singin' sweet songs

E
of melodys pure and true

D                   A
sayin', this my message to you-oo-oo

Chorus:

A          A

D                                   A
Cause' every little thing, (is) gonna be alright

(A)
Singin' don't worry, (don't worry) about a thing

kristaps194

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 08:50:36 am »
Firstly - Thanks from Latvia to Justin! You are the best teacher there is on the web!

But a couple of silly questions though.
What does (A) mean? I understand A is one full bar but (A)?
And about intro. Are those 4 As (A A A A) four bars or four parts of a bar?

P.S. Pardon my english.

StringAmateur

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »
Hello Justin and the other guitarrists  :) ,

i have one question right here:

how can one make the change from the A to the D chord sound clear??

my A string keeps ringing and I dont know how to mute it  :-[

thanks in advance!

kristaps194

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 06:32:54 pm »
@StringAmateur
As silly it may sound but - just keep practising! It ringed badly for me too but now (1 month since I've learned that change) it just comes out clear. Practice makes it perfect! ;)

kelton77

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2011, 06:57:56 am »
im just starting out been playing for 6 weeks now and im learning this bob marly song ive found that its helping with with my 1 minute changes too a great way to learn a song and speed up my fingering.

should i do this all the way though the course or is it going to hamper me when learning new cords and stuff.
i only ask becouse sometimes i get to involed with trying to play the song ethier my fingering goes out or i just miss some of the cords.

thanks

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 11:17:34 pm »
Hello Kelton77 & welcome :)

It's natural to want to learn songs - that's what it's all about, after all.

...sometimes i get to involed with trying to play the song ethier my fingering goes out or i just miss some of the cords...

There's a big, big pitfall to avoid here - The MOST IMPORTANT hand in playing is the strumming hand. While you're learning chords, it's natural for all the attention to go on the fretting hand, and if you're not careful, you will pick up the bad habit of stopping strumming to change chords. This is really difficult to break out of (I know!) and the reason that Justin's course gets your fretting hand under control before introducing rhythm.

So if you're missing chords but keeping the rhythm, that's OK, but if you find little pauses creeping in then:
1) SLOW DOWN!
2)It might be better to just hang back for a week or two until your 1 minute changes are up to speed. Once the chord changes get quick enough to play in rhythm, then playing songs is the best way to practice (IMHO) and the 1 minute changes (on that combination  of chord changes) have done their work.

HTH

Andy

kelton77

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 07:55:27 am »
Hi
andy thanks for the advise it will help alot i will just slow down i think it will be easier then worry about speed later when learning new songs.
and keep going on my one minute changes until its right i think i got a little speed when changeing though the cords but im getting.

thanks for your help  :)

southguy69

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 05:42:57 pm »
hi all - I am trying to play this further up the neck using barr chords. I have the A and the D in the 5th fret but when I slide up for an E (7th fret) the E is too high, I guess it is an octave up.
The A and D sound great up there and really fit the song especially when playing the 'and' beats, very reggie! Can anyone help find another chord that would fit in in place of that E?
Many thanks x

JimLad

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 06:02:35 pm »
hi all - I am trying to play this further up the neck using barr chords. I have the A and the D in the 5th fret but when I slide up for an E (7th fret) the E is too high, I guess it is an octave up.
The A and D sound great up there and really fit the song especially when playing the 'and' beats, very reggie! Can anyone help find another chord that would fit in in place of that E?
Many thanks x

you could try the d shape E (move the d shape up 2 frets and fret the 2nd fret of the D string with your index finger.  or just play the triad without fretting the E on the 2nd fret of the D string.  you could also use the C shape (finger a C chord using your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers, move it up so that your 4th finger sits on the 7th fret of the 5th string then barre the thinnest 3 strings), but that would put your root on the 7th fret of the A string again.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2012, 06:14:34 pm »
hi all - I am trying to play this further up the neck using barr chords. I have the A and the D in the 5th fret but when I slide up for an E (7th fret) the E is too high ....  Can anyone help find another chord that would fit in in place of that E?

The E chord you are playing on the 7th fret is an "A shaped bar chord", yes?? (x79997)

Here's a little application for the 'CAGED' system....

Nut <--C-A-G-E-D <--> C-A-G-E-D <--> C-A-G-E-D <--> C-A-G-E-D<--> C-A-G-E-D<--> C-A-G-E-D --> Bridge

You're using an "A shaped" chord, so there will be "C shaped" chord lower on the neck that shares the root, in this case 5th string 7th fret: X76454 (barre the 4th fret and play a 'C chord' with your other fingers - tricky, but so-able).

(If you wanted to go further, there's a "D shaped" chord that shares a root note with the "C shaped" chord - in this case 2nd string 5th fret: xx2454  but I find these hard to play as a barre. Go another step, and you end up with the standard "E shaped" open E chord.)

The "C shaped" bar chord is a cool one to learn as you can play I, IV, V chord progressions in one position.

(Same as Jimlad said, really...)

Andy

Get The Forum As A Mobile App