Author Topic: BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley  (Read 151060 times)

Offline Tazz3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2014, 03:06:10 am »
Sorry for the question about this song I kinda playing but I need help in the order of the chords
Iam not sure if iam doing it right  Starts off 4 bars is this right. This song is from Justin's bc
A..D..A..E..A....D..A..E..D ???

If its wrong tell me the chord order

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 177
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2014, 04:24:45 pm »
4 strums per bar each note below equals one bar eg Intro AAAA | AAAA | AAAA | AAAA

Intro AAAA      
Chorus 1 AADA AADA      
Verse 1   AEAD AEDA      
Chorus 2 as 1
Versre 2 as 1
Chorus 3 as 1
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline Sizun

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2015, 09:53:58 am »
Hello,

I found a version of this song I like a lot by Sarah Smith, but it seems it's not played in A. Can someone please help with identifying the key on the video ?

Thank you.

Offline aiki667

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2015, 03:19:23 pm »
Hi guys

i'm a newbie, might be obvious when you read my questions...

is it just me, or does Justin speed up his rhythm in the new video lesson??

I practise by playing along, but i seem to loose track of the rhytm, and i don't have this problem when i use the old video lesson.

i could use the metronome, but i don't know at what speed i should set it. can someone pls tell me?

thx

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 177
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2015, 07:59:11 pm »
75 bpm should do you fine  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline edel35

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2016, 09:57:01 am »
I just wanted to share my experience of learning this song in case it helps anyone else.
I listened to it a good bit first to get an idea of how it went, then I watched Justin's lesson. I was really put off by the 4 bar intro followed by another 2 bars of A. I thought I can't even manage the counting to 4 without having to remember which bar I'm on! I nearly gave up because the easiest song was practically impossible for me.
I read forum posts about keeping motivated and about how others were still working stage 1 songs when they were a couple of stages ahead, so I kept trying.
What worked for me was skipping the boring 6 bars, etc and going straight to the verse. As someone who sings I thought that would help, but no, avoid singing until you know the sequence off by heart.
So I practiced doing A to E to A to D one strum at a time, then the second part A to E to D to A one strum at a time. Then I put them together and worked my way up to one bar of each, but really slow. As my chord changes improved, so did my speed. I'm still intimidated by the metronome, so I'm just trying to go at my own slow and even pace.
Then I bought the songbook and started trying to play it all together from scratch. Finally, I can sing along and knowing the sequence off by heart has helped with where the chord changes go.
I haven't tried the reggae strum pattern yet, but might try once I have tried a few more stage 1 songs. It's taken me weeks to get to this stage so don't feel disheartened if it's not clicking yet.
By the way, I scrolled through several pages of this post before someone dealt with the question on the first page, ie, it's not about strumming down on the AND that makes the distinctive sound, it's strumming UP on off-beat.
Anyway, hope this helps someone.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2017, 11:18:58 am »
Well done edel and glad to see your making progress. It feels great once you can actually tell yourself you can play (and sing sometimes) a song. It gets even better as you progress.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 02:41:30 pm by Rossco01 »
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2017, 11:40:19 am »
Hello,
I found a version of this song I like a lot by Sarah Smith, but it seems it's not played in A. Can someone please help with identifying the key on the video ?
Thank you.
Looks to me like she's playing it in A, just mixing the positions where she's playing the chords; e.g. A barre (E shape) followed by D barre (A shape) then E barre (A shape) and she's also playing open chords.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline awooly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2017, 04:09:01 am »
I just wanted to share my experience of learning this song in case it helps anyone else.
I listened to it a good bit first to get an idea of how it went, then I watched Justin's lesson. I was really put off by the 4 bar intro followed by another 2 bars of A. I thought I can't even manage the counting to 4 without having to remember which bar I'm on! I nearly gave up because the easiest song was practically impossible for me.
I read forum posts about keeping motivated and about how others were still working stage 1 songs when they were a couple of stages ahead, so I kept trying.
What worked for me was skipping the boring 6 bars, etc and going straight to the verse. As someone who sings I thought that would help, but no, avoid singing until you know the sequence off by heart.
So I practiced doing A to E to A to D one strum at a time, then the second part A to E to D to A one strum at a time. Then I put them together and worked my way up to one bar of each, but really slow. As my chord changes improved, so did my speed. I'm still intimidated by the metronome, so I'm just trying to go at my own slow and even pace.
Then I bought the songbook and started trying to play it all together from scratch. Finally, I can sing along and knowing the sequence off by heart has helped with where the chord changes go.
I haven't tried the reggae strum pattern yet, but might try once I have tried a few more stage 1 songs. It's taken me weeks to get to this stage so don't feel disheartened if it's not clicking yet.
By the way, I scrolled through several pages of this post before someone dealt with the question on the first page, ie, it's not about strumming down on the AND that makes the distinctive sound, it's strumming UP on off-beat.
Anyway, hope this helps someone.

Thanks edel35, some good tips for a guy like me trying to learn this, my 1st song.  Been going a couple of months on Stage 1.  Received the Beginners Songbook in the mail yesterday  :)

Offline Shaolindelt

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2018, 02:55:19 am »
Hey everyone - I’m revisiting some old songs and wanting to kind of perfect them as I move away from the BC.  As part of that, I’m trying to figure out a good way to move this song away from the basic 4 beats on the downstrum into something more dynamic. 

I’m not really feeling the reggae part (I’m clearly a white guy without Jamaican musical influence!) but I just haven’t found something between Reggae and “simple” basic strumming.

I’m working on adding the little A chord melody in (mentioned early in this thread) but I’m looking for some ideas to jazz this up a bit to make it more of a performance.  Some of the other songs I’m working on I have ideas to spice it up, but this one is a mental block.

Anyone have some extra ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC 2/15, IC - 3/16
Fender Squier Std Strat, 1 MIA, 2 MIM, 2 CV, 1 Epi LP Custom Pro, PRS Angelus SE Acoustic, PRS Silver Sky Nebula
Fender Mustang GT50, Vox AC4TV, VHT Special 6, Fender Blues Jr

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2018, 06:30:05 am »
Look at reply #127, Sarah Smith’s cover, food for thought! It’s one of my favourite versions of it!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 357
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2018, 06:51:23 am »
Shaolindelt,

I am not sure of your play grade.   I am BC at stage 7/8.  With that in mind, here's what I am doing which may be interesting for you or perhaps not enough of a step up.  What I am trying to step it up a little from the initial 4 down strums is the following:

1) Play it using barre chords.  A as an E shape, D & E as A shapes.

2) Strumming pattern is DUDUDUDU with the D strums percussive.  Do the percussive by lifting the left hand off a little and maybe adding a little hit with right hand palm on the down.  The strumming is more staccato as well, more chopping down and up rather than the usually stroking.

Seems to give a little more of the reggae feel. 

For future I suspect what may be needed is to extended the strumming from 1/8 to 1/16 note pattern and mix up the percussive down, the up strum and missed strums ... way beyond me to play it.  I can hear what I want it to sound like in my head but can't play what I hear.

Offline Shaolindelt

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2018, 12:50:52 pm »
I can hear what I want it to sound like in my head but can't play what I hear.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Sounds like we are at a similar level - I’ve finished the BC but going back to polish it all and memorize some songs which I’ve not been doing thus far.  So barre chords (still not a huge fan of them) are in play and some moderate strumming techniques. 

I’m with you on this one, I hear the song, feel the groove but just struggling to make the transition to something on the guitar that carries the the same feel.  I think that off beat Reggae rhythm is messing with me a bit and I may need to spend some more time without Marley’s version and see if I I find something that makes this one more mine.  When I come up with something, I’ll post it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC 2/15, IC - 3/16
Fender Squier Std Strat, 1 MIA, 2 MIM, 2 CV, 1 Epi LP Custom Pro, PRS Angelus SE Acoustic, PRS Silver Sky Nebula
Fender Mustang GT50, Vox AC4TV, VHT Special 6, Fender Blues Jr

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 246
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2018, 04:29:54 pm »
Ziggy Marley can give you some good ideas on the strumming. He's not a reggae as Bob but still keeps the groove.
Three Little Birds starts at 5:00 He's playing it in G
https://youtu.be/XX5S2gXy3ps

Offline dan30_b

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2018, 02:40:30 pm »
Hi,

I am attempting to do the upstrums on the offbeat. It is quite tricky although I think I am getting there but I have a question regarding it. I've looked through the previous pages and couldn't find the answer.

Should I be changing the chord at the start of each measure (just before the 1), or should I be changing the chord right before I strum it, between beat 1 and the & beat.

Changing at the start feels more natural but leaves a gap in the sound.

Thank you,
Dan.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2018, 10:37:31 am »
I would change the chord between the 4+ and the 1. The open strings and anchor finger should keep the sound going during the change if you don't want the quiet patch.

Is reggae not supposed to have silence between the upstrums, it sounds better with the strings muted between upstrums.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2018, 11:09:56 am »
Is reggae not supposed to have silence between the upstrums, it sounds better with the strings muted between upstrums.
A bit like this

Offline dan30_b

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2018, 09:16:49 am »
Thank you, that's very helpful, so change between bars and mute is what I will do from now on.

Offline jump

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2018, 10:23:28 am »
           hi there I am playing three little birds by bob marley I am having difficulties singing the song wile playing I know its a four beat rythem but what beat do you start singing on the first beat or all the beats or sing the song first and strum the four beats after that I realy do not know so please help me

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2018, 10:56:07 am »
If you are able to it may be worth downloading the mobile app and taking a look at the song on there as it shows when and where the lyrics kick in in relation to the beat and chord changes. :)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline jump

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2018, 09:43:03 am »
hi thank u for your repliy  what download do you need and can u get it from the app store on a tablet

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2018, 10:41:25 am »
Just do a search for 'Justin Guitar Beginner Song Course' over on the app store and you'll find it. :)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline jump

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2018, 03:57:16 pm »
          ok thank u I will have a look

Offline jump

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2018, 07:08:54 pm »
   Hi am I playing three little birds right i can not make the song sound right should I concentrate on the four beat rhythem or the chords I hope u can help

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2020, 12:57:05 pm »
I've been trying to 'play' this tune https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/fun-play-along-with-a-d-e-bc-117b (as one of the slower ones) but find I can't keep up with the chord changes. I have been practising my one minute changes and can get about 19/min for A-D, A-E and D-E, (which I have to say is an improvement from last week) but this doesn't seem to help with this song.

At the moment I'm at a loss as to how to progress (and I know that you are going to say practice, practice, practice) but having sat here for 30mins trying to play this it's frustrating at best!!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App