Author Topic: BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley  (Read 151075 times)

Offline Andreas Fischer

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Andreas Fischer - private Website
Re: BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »
i understand that, i thought the same and choosed an even much more difficult strumming, it went well, but later with other songs, i had a strumming problem and now i play with only 4 downstrums to learn what i missed before, accurate strumming

anyway, you will make it right, i am sure
Andreas Fischer
21. Oct. 2012: Just got a Fender Squier Affinity Strat after 25 Years not playing Guitar. It is my first E-Guitar.
Update; Now i have more than a Dozen Guitars

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 246
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2014, 04:29:56 pm »
Reggae Hits the accent on the up strum dUdUduU or one AND two AND three AND four AND. This what gives
Reggae it unique sound. The strumming pattern is a little more complicated than this but once you get in
the groove it will come naturally.

Offline zorner

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2014, 11:22:05 am »
I searched the chords for this song and some chords are between brackets. What does it mean? Should I play those chords differently?

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2014, 06:07:48 pm »
I searched the chords for this song and some chords are between brackets. What does it mean? Should I play those chords differently?

Hi,

I don't believe that there is a formal meaning.

If these are all at the start of a line it may mean a chord that has been 'carried over' from the end of the previous line, and it doesn't mean that you should play it again.

It could also just mean a second bar of the same chord....

...or just about anything else!

Offline Jayrod

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2014, 01:19:18 pm »
I transcribed Justin's YT video into a proper music notation PDF using LilyPond, complete with guitar chord schemes, strumming patterns, and melody. I read in the TOS that we are not allowed to post tabs or other copywritten material. Would this also apply to transcriptions? I notice that people have posted the words and chords already, so I don't see how this is any different. This has been a good exercise for me as I learn the guitar, given that I have prior musical training. Justin stresses that transcription and aural training is vital for progressing on the guitar.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2014, 06:34:59 pm »
Definitely applies to transcriptions.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Jayrod

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2014, 07:18:08 pm »
Borodog, thanks for the response. I guess I will keep them to myself.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2014, 07:29:00 pm »
Yes, you can post the link for research and instruction purposes. If any problem arises it can always be removed.

You will need more than 5 posts to post a link... Just go to just chatting and make 4 random posts/replies in a new thread. Then you can post here what you want. Or PM me the link and I will post it for you in your message. Yes, we always like to see students progress especially when based on Justin's advice and instruction.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:25:50 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2014, 08:15:41 pm »
Reggae Hits the accent on the up strum dUdUduU or one AND two AND three AND four AND. This what gives
Reggae it unique sound.

That's not how to play Reggae.... They "skank" almost always a 'down stroke' on the 2 and 4.

Practically -any- video you see of Bob clearly demonstrates this.

Go To 07:25

You have to distinguish real Reggae from strumming a beginner song sing along. That also is not what gives Reggae it's unique sound as it is very regular.  2 and 4 dead on. It's more so the drumming and bass as well as the Keys playing the 'bubble'. If you think about it it makes sense.  a-lot- of Reggae is about singing and the singer would have a harder time playing complex rhythm on their guitar so they get into the groove of the band and just lock up on 2 and 4 as their accents ( which is also how the American music they listened to would have been -- the back beat. )

If you can find some video of Bob playing accented upstokes on the 'ands' I would like to see it, that's an hour and a half of him playing down stokes.

It is painfully clear at this point in the video that he is playing down strokes.

Go TO 18:10 - 18:30  then 21:00 or so

I have never seen Bob play any other style.  That's just how it's done. Reggae is defined by a "skank" on the 2 and 4.... You can even watch when he bends his knees. He dips on the 2 and 4..

27:27 - all down strokes.

It's just endless
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2014, 09:00:51 pm »
"Reggae" is a pretty wide genre, but I think what says "Reggae" when I hear it is. "chips" and the 2 and 4, which are PROPERLY downstrums, and a back beat (eg the snare drum ) displaced to the 3. This is what confuses people; they think the song is halftime to what it actually is. They think that the snare hits are on 2,4 instead of 3, so they hear the chips on the "ands" instead of 2,4.

Anyway, the chips are properly down strokes.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2014, 09:57:07 pm »
Please everyone go to 4:18 - 4:32

Then watch this and play your DOWNSTROKE on the 2 and 4 to his drumming.

Justin is NOT trying to teach intense Reggae in this lesson. This is a beginner lesson or campfire lesson and if you can just get to strumming and singing you are doing fine. The feel you apply will come more from how you sing it than how you actually play it.

Gone

Offline Jayrod

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2014, 02:41:41 am »
OK, Three Little Birds transcription is here. I should add a disclaimer for educational uses only. I plan to add more transcriptions as I move through the course.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2a8dhlf3afwmasu/s80HRNnc2N

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2014, 09:46:30 am »
Toots can do this :

You can play and sing a non-reggae version of Three Little Birds. It's just a song.

Offline Macabre

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2014, 12:20:07 pm »
OK, Three Little Birds transcription is here. I should add a disclaimer for educational uses only. I plan to add more transcriptions as I move through the course.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2a8dhlf3afwmasu/s80HRNnc2N

Thanks for that, I shall be giving it a go later.
Seagull Original S6 & Washburn EAT12 
Fender Standard Telecaster with Mustang 1 v2 amp
La Patrie Etude

Offline Rivercruzin

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2014, 04:47:55 pm »
Hi! New to forum and guitar. And 72 years old a bit slow. I need a definite clarification. Which is the correct way? This is what my book says:

A                   A
Don't worry about a thing
          D                                    A
Cause every little thing gonna be alright
                  A                                   E
Rise up this morning, smiled with the risin sun
                 A                        D
Three little birds pitch by my doorstep
          A                                  E
Singin sweet songs of melodies pure and true
         D                                      A
Sayin, This is my message to you-ou-ou

But on J,s video it sounds as though he is starting A on Don't
and the D on Cause and A on Singin and D on Sayin. I have looked in back in forum have heard and seen posts both ways. So I am a bit confused.
Thanks

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2014, 04:56:15 pm »
Either way is fine. The way you have it written has better syncopation between the vocal and the beat in my opinion. Starting the phrases on the 1 is fine for beginners but it sounds kind of square.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 246
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2014, 05:04:57 pm »
For beginners Justin has simplified the songs to fit 4 down strums. Once your technique get better and
you start playing more like the records you'll find that reggae is accented on the second beat.
There is a video 6 posts before this on that explains the timing. 

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2014, 02:53:57 pm »
The song... I believe... will have "worry" and "every" on the 1.

Now if you were strumming easy guitar you would be strumming there and changing there. But reggae guitar really is going to hit the 2 and 4

So the beat stacks up like ... among other things....

Wor.... 1-rry
------------Guit --- 2
-------------------Bass drum -- 3
-----------------------------------Guit --- 4

Sooo.... if you can sing it, you really want to do that, and then just play your guitar on the 2 and 4. Which will mean..... your hands may be moving and you may be singing Worr but you might not hi the actual chord until the second half of word..... Now if other instruments were playing they would actually be sounding.... so your voice is actually changing chords before you strum.

It really depends on how you are going to play it.... I think the book is correct but the video, for what's trying to get across is probably ok too.

Or as Bob said... "He who feels it knows it".... If you are not feeling it keep moving things apart in time.

To me.... this song is really about singing and the guitar is simply along for the ride... As is the heart and soul of Reggae... it's really a singers music so even for solo guitar you still need to really be able to sing the rhythm even if your pitch is not great.

Watch this guy... I don't know how he is counting it, but in reggae when the T hits the three YELOW strings that is 3. Then he hits m+i on 2 and 4 and on a center red string he hits a red T == that is 1

So is you watch all that you see his changes match the book and he's playing the bass on 1. Every time he clacks his nails that's 3.

This would actually be a pretty good way to play it but still a little busy with that regular bass beat though... it's really hard to do all that stuff at once because you are emulating at least 4 instruments plus singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOSKYSpMsQk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:09:56 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline Rivercruzin

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2014, 03:55:54 pm »
Thanks much for the last video! That was great! Watched it 7 or 8 times. I think what is going on before I started J,s course I had a book I had bought I was following. And I was looking to find the quarter note beats and I could not get them. Seemed as though there were more beats in there at times in a measure. I just will have to keep after it. Thanks to all!!

Offline Rivercruzin

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2014, 08:01:03 pm »
Making progress! I have no problem doing the song strumming and counting 1,2,3,4. Changing chords just fine. Now its just when I try to add the singing is where it throws me off. I think it will come with a bit more practice. Thanks to everyone!!

Offline w_ww_me

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Almost finished the Beginners Course
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2014, 08:08:44 pm »
Justin says it's A E A D A E D A  for the verse but here it says it's A E D A  A E D A

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bob_marley/three_little_birds_crd.htm

Which one is correct?

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2014, 08:48:20 pm »
Just listened and Justin is correct.

Offline w_ww_me

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Almost finished the Beginners Course
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2014, 10:49:58 pm »
Just listened and Justin is correct.

Thanks!

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2014, 04:01:42 am »
Justin says it's A E A D A E D A  for the verse but here it says it's A E D A  A E D A

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bob_marley/three_little_birds_crd.htm

Which one is correct?

They may well both be correct. You'll find that many songs are performed differently on different nights on different stages, even when done by the same artist (Joe Perry is a great example of this). One transcription may come from one recording, and a second from another one.

Justin's matches up with the 'official' music video - that much I can say, though it is 'simplified' as has been pointed out above.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2014, 02:08:11 pm »
Here is a good video of Ziggy playing this song with easy strumming. He is playing in G ( G C D as opposed to A D E ). He makes a mistake in part of it but slides the chord up so don't be concerned about that.

TLB starts at about the 5:00 mark.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App