Author Topic: BS-806 • Polly - Nirvana  (Read 12299 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
    • justinguitar.com
BS-806 • Polly - Nirvana
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:42:43 am »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:39:53 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

TFB

Re: ST-612 • Polly (Nirvana)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:03:05 pm »
Can you please explain the strumming pattern a bit more in detail ? I might be slow, but i just can't figure out what you do in that video..

maybe a "tab" style figure with up/down arrows and xxx's to indicate where you mute strings ?

Fantastic site by the way ! I can't even begin to tell you how great i think it is ! And i find it incredible that someone with your abilities and knowledge does something like this almost for free, especially in these days.. But obviously there are still some good people 'round :)

Keep up the good work sir !

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 11:34:45 pm »
picking the bass string I guess you mean when only that note is played.

if you just keep forming the same chords but  only pick the lowest note in each one

like for the Em it will be the open E string (6th), for G the E string (6th) on the 3rd fret,  for D the A string (5th) at the 5th fret, and for C the A string (5th) at the 3rd fret.

as for strumming pastterns, well again ideally its one where you keep your strumming arm moving constantly and with percussive scratches, ( where you hit the chord but you have the strings sort of palm muted out )

whatching justin he seems to do

E - Down - Then two little palm muted downs while moving chords
G -  Down Up - Then two little palm muted downs while moving chords
D - Down Up - Then one down while changing chords,
C- Up Up  Down Up.

But I find it easy to keep it like strumming and do

E- Down - muted down up
G - Down Up - muted down up
D- Down Up - muted down
C- Up up down up.

if you keep your arm moving and hit when you hear you need to thats where you end up ;)
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Jabberwok

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:35:32 pm »
Hi Justin!

First - thanks for this awesome site and your enthusiasm!

Chords for this song are of course 100% correct, but if you try to sing exactly as it is written you most probably will fail. Let me explain why. First D chord should be beneath the crAcker (beneath A). Actually verse is almost ok. But it was hard for me to sing chorus as it is written although i heard that song hundreds of times.

Take a look at my version: (capital letters are "chorded" vowels)
   C       G         Bb            D
It Isn't mE, We hAve some sEed

I know it may sound a bit stupid, but i hope it will be useful for beginners.

Garce

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:09:37 pm »
I'm having trouble with this. It sounds right but I want to make sure before I practice more. The lesson is not clear to me. Is Justin playing muted chords which are not included in the DUDU explanation? If I'm to discard the muted ones would this be correct?

E5       G5       |D5     C5
D - D U D U - U|D U - U - U D U

D5     C5         |G5    Bb5
D U - U - U D -|D U - U - U D U
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:17:06 am by close2u »

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:37:34 pm »
I have more or less the same questions here.

Can anyone explain the muted strums? Is he using palm mute to do that? Justin plays the muted strums but doesn't explain them in the vid.

This is the strumming pattern from the book and I think also what Justin says in the Video:

Verses:
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
D       U D U    U D U    U    U D U

Chrorus:
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
D U    U    U D

So if this is the pattern, where do the muted strums come in? Palm mute?

Second question ... more theoretical. I understood that if a song uses all Powerchords the 5 is left out in the music notation. But in my basic knowledge the song starts on a E5 powerchord, but in the songbook there's an Em written. I understand that the fingering of an Em and an E5 is the same, but still. Why is it not written as an E ???

Thx and regards,
de_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 05:28:50 pm »
Power chord are usually palm muted or muted by lifting the fingers enough to mute then pressing them
back down.

I understood that if a song uses all Powerchords the 5 is left out in the music notation.
The 3rd is left out. Power chords are the Root and the 5th and sometimes the b7. In the picture the note
are R 5th 8th(R) if you barre with the index finger and lift the pinky that's the b7

Offline Username

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
    • Dumbify is not a word
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 07:52:10 pm »
I can't help with theory but I can help with the rhythm. It's: E       G          D        C
                                                                                               D M     DDU M   DUU   U UDU

Btw, M stands for mute. Although a lot of people like to play it with 2 mutes between E and G and G and D, which is fine but one the recording you can hear that extra strum. The extra strum is also a bit lower then the others, so I like to play that using only the bottom 2 string. As for which kind of mute to use, it doesn't really matter. I think it sounds best when you kinda hit the strings with your hand instead of doing a muted strum.

This is for the Original recording and not the Unplugged version. The Unplugged version is more complicated, with dynamics and crap like that.
This signature is my signature signature.

My Site- http://dumbifyisnotaword.wordpress.com/

Offline willferral

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BS-806 • Polly - Nirvana
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:25:10 pm »
Got a question about the unplugged version.  Sorry if I'm mistaken about what I see/hear but in the first measure of the riff he seems to be doing a upstroke on the bottom two strings on the two and a downstroke on the low 3 muted on the & Assuming this is the case. I'm on part 5 of the intermediate course. Is it ok for me to practice this as it's very contrary mechanically to everything I've learned about strumming [ doesn't feel right] I don't want to screw up my strumming?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App