Author Topic: BS-303 • Hey Ya! - Outkast  (Read 29429 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
BS-303 • Hey Ya! - Outkast
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:04:25 am »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:37:53 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

kev.b

Re: ST-514 • Hey Ya (Outcast)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 07:41:47 pm »
hey Justin great lesson ! at last i can play something my kids have heard of or like, apparently blues is for old people!. any chance of covering Matt weddle's acoustic version of this song in the future? there seems to be some hammer ons going on in there (i'm going by the youtube videos of him). theres a capo on the 4th fret and the chords, i think, are also different.just think it would be great to be able to play this song in 2 different ways.

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 11:08:10 pm »
I think that version just uses C F and G

with the F I use a small F and do not barre teh high E, just leave it open, for the G  I also do not fret the high E and just do not strum all the way down to the high E.

The hammer ons are hammering fingers on into their normal positions in the chords

well thats how I was doing it anyhow ;)
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

kev.b

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 12:06:54 pm »
DC thanks for the advice, do you still use a capo on the 4th fret with these chords as matt weddle does?

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 11:18:44 pm »
yeah I do, but you can play it without, it will just be ina lower key.

I think I hammer on the second finger for the C on the first strum of it and for the F, and that gets you clos to the feel of this version imo
Electric
Amps
Acoustic
FX

kev.b

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 09:35:06 am »
DC thanks again. tried it and it does sound clser to matt's version  ;)

kev.b

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 10:37:07 am »
DC just found out that in matt weddle'sversion he plays C.F.G.Am7. with capo on 4th fret. sounds really good too. see what you think

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 10:58:18 am »
How do you finger that ? a normal Am with added pinky on the 3rd fret high e ?
Electric
Amps
Acoustic
FX

kev.b

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:45:58 am »
DC
my understanding is 1st finger 1st fret 2nd string  and  2nd finger 2nd fret 4 th string,
1st ,3rd, 5th strings open and 6th string not played (remembering there is a capo on 4th),basically a C chord with 3rd finger removed. which makes it quite an easy chord sequence to play even for me!
because after playing the Am7 its back to C.
the F is played with the high E and the 2nd finger is hammered on.
hope this helps.
i can play it better than describe it

martojo124

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 05:31:12 pm »
Hey finally part 3 of beginners course is up! thanks a lot man.

Actually for the strumming, i would suggest:

D DU UDU     D DU UDU    D DU UDU    DD    D DU UDU     D DUDUDU

That last part just finishes it!

Great song, thanks again!

myfingertipshurt

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 06:56:51 am »
I don't think I quite understand this concept of strumming patterns.

Each bar of the song has four chords played, right? So if you're playing it DDUUDU, that would be six strums. Literally as I was typing this I realized that a strum and a chord are not the same, but it still seems to me like this here strumming pattern would add a chord or two to the bar.

Say I'm playing a G, C, or E, bar in the song, and I'm trying to strum it DDUUDU, would DD be the first two beats, then UU would be a beat, then DU for the last beat of the bar? I guess I'm just trying to figure out which strums in this pattern constitute a chord/beat (assuming one chord per beat).

I hope that made sense, can anyone help me to understand this?

Also, I'm sure the answer to this question is "practice" as I've only been trying this kind of strumming for a day or two now, but I feel like my up strums are really awkward and don't sound right. I found that if I place my thumb closer to the end of the pick it really helps my up strums to sound better, but I still need to go back and re-watch the video on holding the pick to find out if this is recommended. Can anyone add any tips about getting that up strum to sound good? I feel like I need to just relax my arm more and it will come.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 08:41:02 am »
Each bar of the song has four chords played, right? So if you're playing it DDUUDU, that would be six strums.

Code: [Select]
1&2&3&4&
D DU UDU

Consider DU (1&) to be one strum (you arm has gone down and come back up)
You should see now that this pattern fits.

Also, I'm sure the answer to this question is "practice" as I've only been trying this kind of strumming for a day or two now, but I feel like my up strums are really awkward and don't sound right. I found that if I place my thumb closer to the end of the pick it really helps my up strums to sound better, but I still need to go back and re-watch the video on holding the pick to find out if this is recommended. Can anyone add any tips about getting that up strum to sound good? I feel like I need to just relax my arm more and it will come.

Try a more flexible pick.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

myfingertipshurt

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 10:59:29 am »
Thank you for clarifying the strumming pattern. That does make sense.

Why I couldn't figure that out boggles me.

I'll go pick shopping soon.

myfingertipshurt

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 01:18:34 am »
Went pick shopping, going to try out these new flexible nylon picks tonight. I'm getting alot better with this song, it's really starting to sound like a real song on the times I don't mess up.

While I was out there I bought a metronome because I figure if I set it to 60 bpm and use that while I practice chord changes it will help me force myself to get them up to speed.

But I was wondering how I should go about using the metronome to help me learn my rhythm with regards to this song.

Considering the 2/4 bar for the D chord I'm thinking I should set the metronome to have a special beep every two beats instead of the default four, because otherwise it would mess up my timing for the other bars when I go to play the next bar following said 2/4 bar, right? Use of a metronome with songs that have different size bars in them confuses me.  ???

Also, is there a concrete way to determine how many bpm a given song is without having to do it by ear (tap tempo on the metronome)? Or should I just like, use wikipedia/google to determine a songs tempo until I'm skilled enough to just know?

I figured out by checking the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Ya! that Hey Ya! is played at 160 beats per minute, so that's what I should have my metronome set at while playing this one, right?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:24:43 am by myfingertipshurt »

Beach Bob

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 11:04:12 pm »
Woo Hoo!

Thanks for throwing a very cool song into the mix.  Certainly adds a lot of fun into the practice routine

docal97

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 04:10:31 am »
Hey all.  So great song.  Love playing the first verse and chorus.  Problem is when we get to the 2nd verse.  B/c Justin does not label the chords, I can't figure out how they should go.  Doing it in the same pattern as the first verse doesn't seem to work.

Can someone help here?

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 09:02:28 am »
The chords and rhythm are the same, what you're likely tripping up on is how they fit into the lyrical flow and for that you should listen to the track.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

chix

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 09:34:59 am »
i second  that , i was just  checkig it out  to see if  i could  give  you the  answer but  tour  beat me  too  ;)

its also in same  key as  orignal so chek it out on  youtube  an see if  you can play along  to it  good  luck  good  top tune let us know  how  you get on  with it

ps it ussually the  case, where  even ive got  stuck  on  some  songs, regarding lookig  at how  the lyrics  go round  the  tune  when the  look  set out  difrent  to  the other  verse , but its simply  just down  to lisning. even if it  wasnt in the  same  key  for example,  you could have  allways  try  n put  capo on  an play it  further  up i  found usefull litlle  top site  for that  ages  ago  http://www.logue.net/xp/capochart.htm

docal97

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 12:40:03 am »
Chix, that is a great little chart.  Thanks.  I have bookmarked it.

I am wondering why Justin did not put down the chord sequence for the second verse.  This would have made it so much easier!!  Perhaps to get us to figure it out ourselves?

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 04:26:06 am »
Thanx too from me Licksnkicks Chix!  I don't know if I will be using a capo anytime soon but ya never know.  I printed off a copy too put in my note book JUST IN CASE!

This song is such a catchy.  I used this in the beginning of my playing to force the changes.  It was overwhelming at the time and suited my abilities at the time and gave me instant gratification.  Yeah for "Hey ya".  I still play it. 

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

rxSi

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 01:05:19 pm »
WoW! This is a great song to play. I'm only at stage 2 at the moment, looking forward curiously, so I will have to do some practice before I can play this, but it is a great motivation. Thanks Justin for all your great lessons, but I'm a little confused though. In your great (and almost hilarious) tapping lesson, you ordered to tap with the left foot, but in this lesson you are tapping with your right foot/leg. Is that part of the song?  :P

Peh

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 04:28:26 am »
whats the bpm for this song?
Cant seem to find it for metronome

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 05:52:46 am »
I googled the bpm for this particular song and it's at a speedy 160bpm.  Fast but slow it down to suit your playing ability.  Have fun and what a great song this is!  I still play it.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

LESbum

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 04:12:26 am »
Awesome awesome awesome song to play for beginners.  Really teaches you discipline with the strumming.

By the way, I think Down-Down-Up sounds cooler when you play the D chord, but you have to be very quick because you have less time to switch to the E that way.

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 03:53:45 pm »
I can play this and 3 little birds at 60bpm pretty comfortably.

But not able to sing along and play - which is pretty frustrating.

With a metronome on and counting in my head I can play the song near perfect (barring the occasional glitch going from C-D). But the moment I start to sing along the words and the beat dont keep up.

Any tips on how I can fix my problem?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App