Author Topic: BS-610 • House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals  (Read 29027 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
BS-610 • House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:01:09 am »
Lesson Link: http://justinguitar.com/en/BS-610-HouseRisingSun-TheAnimals.php

Questions...

(formerly ST-512)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:31:43 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

packersfan

Re: ST-512 • The House Of The Rising Sun (The Animals)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:29:10 pm »
I know that you can play House of the Rising Sun with Barre chord F, but what string would you play for the base note for the advanded (sorry for the spelling) strumming of the song? ??? ???

Ixion

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:17:09 pm »
Just an unprofessional observation on this so I'll apologise if this seems naff but if you barre F you are of course creating the option to hit a bass F an octave below that which you would play if using little F as you have probably figured. However, when listening to the song whilst playing the Barre'd F it doesn't seem to quite work, as the song needs to pitch up (if thats the right expression!) on that chord. So my personal preference would be to abandon the Barre'd F and play little F at that point.

Andy28

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 04:40:40 pm »
Having listened to this version I get the following chords rather than the version published in Justin's pdf. Anyone any thoughts?

Verse 1
         Am   C           D        F
There is a   house in New Orleans
        Am      C      E
They call the rising sun
           Am         C        D               F
And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
      Am    E           Am    C D F
And God I know I’m one

Am E Am E

MichelleM

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 06:59:50 pm »
Yes, I agree with your revised version - I've just been trying to work it out.  You need to work out the intro and the bits between too.  All the right notes, but not necessarily in that order...  pdf's seem to be just a rough guide.  I think it's tough for beginning, but guess it makes us listen real closely to the track.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:20:46 am by close2u »

royp

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 02:46:14 pm »
pdf's seem to be just a rough guide. 

I think Justin is presenting a beginners' version, and you can play the extra chords you have found, but it will work without them too. I also agree about the barre F not really working well, as said above.

If you get as far as finding better ways to play it then that is great that you can work that out and play more complicated versions.

Another thing I found is that if I play up, down, up, picks instead of up, up ,up on the three thinnest strings, as shown at 4:04 of the video, then it sounds better.

Edit: One thing I would point out is that there are two E's at "sun", not one as written above.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:52:48 pm by royp »

royp

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 05:26:38 pm »
In the video, what does Justin mean by "3 feel" and "fingerpicking in 3/4" ?

The song sounds like it is in 6/8, or maybe 12/8.

I have this song in a very old song book. In there it is in 4/4, which I think is wrong. It is also in D minor in my book, which is not the key the Animals are playing it in. Song books huh? So many song books get it wrong. This one does credit the arrangement to Alan Price though.

For the part where I substitute up, down, up picks for up, up, up there is a close up at around 5:30 to 6:00 ish of the video. The up, up, up is probably best for beginners but the up, down, up sounds good.

Jennings

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 08:58:15 am »
For the 3 upstrokes, do you guys rake over the strings or up-pick each individually?

Cheers,

Jennings

royp

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 11:16:15 am »
For the 3 upstrokes, do you guys rake over the strings or up-pick each individually?

I would not call what I do a rake exactly, but when I do 3 upstrokes they are not really separate actions either. Somewhere between a true rake and individual picking, but closer to a rake, is what I use. You could try a rake at first, and then slow it down until it sounds good. I do find that my picking hand does some good sounding things which I don't entirely intend, I just go with the flow.

Justin does say that it is not exactly a rake he is using to play the arpeggios, if I remember right. Don't have time to watch his video lesson all the way through again just now.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 11:12:35 am »
here's a start to moving it back on topic ...

here is my wife's grandson (age 12) playing The House Of The Rising Sun (The Animals)

I taught him everything he knows !!   ;)   ;)   :D  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9rzBKCMmV4

myBonnie

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 09:18:32 am »
hey guys, a forum approved question ;D

1.I really like the led zeppelin version, so i'm wondering did he use a pick to play that song?
2. I would luv to finger pick that song too, but when i use my fingers the sounds r not very clear and not as loud. hmmm.
3. I also worry that if i don't practice picking with a pick(which i don't really like) then i won't be able to do good solo once i get an electric... so should i just practice with a pick  ???

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:11 am »
Bonnie you can play it both ways - with or without a pick - or strum it - really just comes down to versatility of your skills and playing it how you want to hear it on a particular day.

Um Close2U that kid has a very deep voice for a 12 year old  ;D
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 05:09:45 am »
I really need a reply even though no one has been here for 120 days.  I'm getting mixed messages about what BPM this should be.  When I go to Youboob it's around 85  with my foot tapping and then I see it on the web at different BPM.  What is the BPM of this song?

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline PJMCM

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 07:34:23 am »
Licks,
From what I can find on Google, it would appear to be 80bpm. I'd say that's about right.

Peter
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. (George Bernard Shaw)

1986 Epiphone Dreadnought Acoustic
Freshman FA1AM
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
1980's Hondo Bass (DIY restoration fun!)
Peavey Vypyr 30

johnny fontaine

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 12:35:01 pm »
Can you point out on the web site where the song tab is for the house of the rising sun please

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:21:31 pm »
Hey Johnny just watch this Siggi Mertens House of the rising sun tutorial.  It's played in the classical format.  The chords are really easy, just watch Siggi.  You don't need tabs just watch and learn. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIms5fPCBhc

There's a myriad of different tutorials on YT for this.  I have a tendency to watch Siggi though because he's been around the block more than once. I guess I'm prejudice because I really like Siggi's tutorials a lot. 
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
    • Last Chance
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:07 am »
I've got a question regarding this song ...

I'm learning this song atm, using a Barre F chord (to get used to the Barre F).
Now I find that I like playing this song with the 'Old Faithfull' strumming pattern (DDUUD).

It sounds and feels good. But I don't get it, since this song is in 6/8?

How comes this works? I can actually also sing to it without noticing something wrong ...
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard HP 2018, Dearmond By Guild 1998 M75T
Amp: Fender Blues junior III, Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne2

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 01:28:12 pm »
Strum patterns aren't necessarily fixed to time signatures.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 03:53:39 pm »
First down strum 1&

Then 2&3&  is a triplet ( three notes in two beats )

Then 4&5&6&

Actual notes 1   123   1 2 3

I think I strum it DDUUDU  but I rake that triplet section too.
Gone

Offline jellybee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: BS-610 • House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 01:41:02 am »
Hello,

Sorry for digging this up again, but in the video, Justin didn't mention the rhythm for the rake strum.
So, I get a little trouble counting the beats. ???
Does the 4th beat still fall at the thinnest string or is it the 3rd beat ? :-\
Thank you all, for your help.

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 01:29:25 pm »
Hello,

Sorry for digging this up again, but in the video, Justin didn't mention the rhythm for the rake strum.
So, I get a little trouble counting the beats. ???
Does the 4th beat still fall at the thinnest string or is it the 3rd beat ? :-\
Thank you all, for your help.

Actually he does tell you its on beat 4.  Watch the video starting around 7:45.  He says the easiest way to do it is "in time."  So: "1 (bass note), 2 and 3 (rake), 4 (1st string "thinnest"), 5 (second string), 6 (third string)."  Don't forget on the D and F you will need to play the bass string twice.   Also, the E does throw the timing off a little, but you need to compensate with that by doing the rake a hair faster, so the 1st string is always on beat 4.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:49:22 pm by bigbl5 »
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline jellybee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 02:24:18 pm »
Actually he does tell you its on beat 4.  Watch the video starting around 7:45.  He says the easiest way to do it is "in time."  So: "1 (bass note), 2 and 3 (rake), 4 (1st string "thinnest"), 5 (second string), 6 (third string)."  Don't forget on the D and F you will need to play the bass string twice.   Also, the E does throw the timing off a little, but you need to compensate with that by doing the rake a hair faster, so the 1st string is always on beat 4.

Oh, I see. So, now to play like in the record, when I do the rake strum, I need to also hit the bass string as well.

Thanks for clearing things out for me.

Offline mbmert

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 08:46:06 am »

Okay then, what is the timing for the "reality". I mean racking part. As I understand:
1: Root
2-3: Strum
4: e
5: b
6: g

But when I rack the strings, I can't fill "2&3&". It sounds like I'm strumming on 2&3, but I leave it empty at last '&'. I got the timing on individual picking(the part justin shows before the recording style part), but I can't rack on time. Could it be because I'm playing it on slow tempo(50/60 for 6/8, so 100-120 for 3/4), so I don't get the "feel"? Because, when I don't put metronome, I can play it by feel, but still I'm feeling that I'm playing like 5,5/8 time signature.

Can someone suggest me something? I hope someone reads that part of the part, I don't want to ask it on general questions...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 08:51:53 am »
@mbmert
If you got the he 'feel' then play along to the original song, even if it's a slowed version at first.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App