Author Topic: PC-801 • My Thoughts On Learning  (Read 27200 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
PC-801 • My Thoughts On Learning
« on: November 20, 2008, 05:29:55 pm »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:58:28 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Jeremy

Re: TB-040 • My Thoughts On Learning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:13:46 pm »
Hello, Justin,

My 1st post here.

I have a sincerely troubling question regarding tab or learning how to read notation.  A little over 10 yrs ago I took a bunch of private lessons and it was all tab, not note reading. Like many, I wanted to play ASAP..I think you know where this is going!

I'm 58 yrs (young) now and my then school-age son who was into private clarinet lessons and did very well told me over and over to learn to read notes. I tried and gave up out of the need to make music sooner than I should.

Well, here I am again..wanting to learn how to play. I found you via YouTube and was really impressed..
Your blues online stuff turned me back to the guitar. The Blues!!!

Now I'd really like to go at it the proper way. So, would you please give me your honest assessment ... should I not rely on TAB and learn how to read notation (as I'm thinking I "should") or go the easy route? I'm wanting to make this a serious returning effort and as such I'm guessing to go the reading route....even though it'll be one damn struggle initially.

Thank you SO MUCH for any help. You have given me a lot of wonderful listening and I have to learn as much bluesy stuff as I can. It's simply a wonderful sound!

Regards,
Jeremy...I'm hoping to get into your lessons and buy as much for my progressions as possible. I have to learn from scratch! You can count on that!
Cheers

Fuzzel

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:17:41 pm »
Justin answers that question in one of the Q&A vids, I think he said that you only should if you're plannin on going pro otherwise it takes alot of time and is quite difficult and not really worth it.

Though I could well be wrong and it's worth checking the vids to make sure, besides there's lots of useful info in them, your bound to learn some new stuff :)

Jeremy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:27:12 pm »
Thank you Fuzzel. I appreciate it.

Jeremy.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:49:34 pm »
yes. correct :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:36:58 am »
I absolutely hate tab!! Not only that I can't do it fast enough, I just feel IMHO that it's just an easy way out! I feel like the brain cells are on vacation.  I find reading music a whole lot easier for me anyways!   I have a musical background in piano so I knew the notes before I started on my guitar journey.  I have tab for some stuff but I would rather look at the notes and really figure it out myself.  I find too that some tabs are just WRONG!!!  I guess it's up to each to choose which way they wanna go.  I think too that if you learn to read music, it will take you that much further cuz than you have to study the theory and stuff which can get complex at times but then again if you really love to play then I personally would learn to read music. This is ONLY my very humble opinion!!

PLEASE DON'T HATE ME YOU TAB LOVERS!!!

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

royp

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:12 am »
Justin answers that question in one of the Q&A vids,

Though I could well be wrong and it's worth checking the vids to make sure, besides there's lots of useful info in them, your bound to learn some new stuff :)

I see that Justin confirmed you are right Fuzzel.

I would like to see the videos you mention, for the useful info you mention. Can you post links please? I keep reading about Q&A videos, and I would like to watch them, but I do not see them on the Lesson Index.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 08:29:35 pm »
Why even if your not planning on going pro would NOT learn how to read music????? It gives you a way more freedom when playing opposed to just learning tabs.  I don't plan on going pro in this lifetime I think but I want to learn everything I can.  Theory, practical the whole nine yards.  I in my opinion think this is the best way to learn for me.

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

EatLemons

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:45:58 pm »
All right folks, even though nobody has posted here for quite a while, I'd like to give me 2 cents here. It is my opinion that if you enjoy learning, then learning musical notation isn't hard at all. I am playing the harmonica and in order to write down my own songs I bought me a great harmonica book and well, notation is fantastic. What I'd like to say is that once you start with musical notation, it is more a journey than a task. You are never too old and learning doesn't have to be considered as learning but part of the fun. If you are on vacation and you go by car to your destination, then the ride itself is an essential part of the vacation, don't you think so? You will remember a great time even though it might not be obvious in the beginning. Just be positive and nobody is perfect. Perfection lies in imperfection. I don't intend to play the guitar in a way that people might consider as "perfect". It must be just sufficient enough to support my harmonica playing and if I know 10 or 12 chords and a bit of picking single notes ... heck that's all I need. Anything else comes within due time anyway.

My basic message is that you have as much fun as possible. Two weeks ago I had serious doubts that I was guitar-compatible, lol, it has changed completely. :D

So long ... whatever makes you happy .. tabs or musical notations ... but let's dig it  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:21:49 am by EatLemons »

chix

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 08:41:27 am »
yes im trying to work throu  some theory  i think my next purchase will be   paractical theory by justin ... ive read the review  an  i think it  will be a vauble  source .. to help put the peices together ..that  combined  with  begines course im working throu  an  ile  the  strummin 1  that was ordered  other  day .. to  get  my rythum sorted

tab dose have it limtations,  an for some one like myself who wasnt   born with the muscal  geane in me to have understanding  will go along way to help i think to see it  to understand it  will enable  me  to hear it an develop my ear  to  be abel to transcribe  in  years to come.. i want to play for my own  benefit an plesure but i want to reatch  relatively  good allround level...   

so  i think the basics   will defently hep unwravel an make me beter  player  ..

Fuzzel

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 07:17:42 pm »
Why even if your not planning on going pro would NOT learn how to read music????? It gives you a way more freedom when playing opposed to just learning tabs.  I don't plan on going pro in this lifetime I think but I want to learn everything I can.  Theory, practical the whole nine yards. 

Licksnkicks
I believe it's a matter of deciding where to alocate your time. Your never gonna have time to learn everything, even if you did turn pro. So what you invest your time in learning is really a big decision, because learning to read music on the guitar takes a long time, and if your primarily interested in burning out afew blues licks that time would be much better spent transcribing a piece.
If you want to be able to jam over lots difficult jazz chords, learnign to read music will only help you to the extent that it will let you access more books on the subject. It's obviously got it's merits for people with lots of time to spend on music, but most people don't, and they have to draw the line somewhere, and musical notation is generally on the wrong side of that line.

zedder

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 08:04:56 pm »
Hi Justin,

First, I want to thank and congratulate you for your site. Please keep this alive !
Like Jeremy I am 50 year young and I am "scratching" on my guitar for many years without any method. Sometimes I am lucky to have some "sound" in what I am playing, but to be honest...mostly not...just using the try and cut method (?) and if I am lucky I can have a nice little jamming session.
Just one question/request : could it be possible to have available on your site a kind of general overview of all steps to be learned "from the beginner to the pro" in the form of a logical diagram as f.ex. used in company organisation charts ?
As a example : one chart for the guitar exercises, one for the theory, one for.....
I am convinced that you personally had a method (and still have) to reach the next goal in guitar/music mastering and that there is a logival way to follow THE PATH from milestone to milestone. I think that's very important for a beginner also for self evaluation and to have a view and feedback on his own position on the learning curve, even if he doesn't understand yet the next steps.
Thx for considering this question
Dany

fosterjam14

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 10:28:44 pm »
Hi Jeremy, Glad to hear your still trying to get your head around music notation.  I've done this for a few years and would like to share with you what has helped me.  First of all why do you have to choose only tab or notation?  Try both at first, that is to say find songs that have the G clef at top and tab at the bottom.  Once your comfortable with the tab block it out with a piece of paper and play the same thing on the clef.  I've also made flash cards, the front has the notation and the back has the answer as a letter name.  Maybe you would like the answer in tab.  Learning music is like learning another written language first you learn the alphabet, then words, then sentences and finally your reading in concepts.  Keep in mind that music notation has been around for at least a 1,000 years and is very specific as to duration, note, chord, speed etc.  There are plenty of books and web-sites with the info you need maybe even here at Justinguitar (I haven't seen all of it.)  Good luck and hopes this helps.

ConnellGuitar

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 01:20:50 am »
Hey Justin,

Do I need to learn scales to be a great lead guitarist?

I've heard of guys like Keith Urban and Tommy Emmanuel who never learn scales.  I guess they just transcribed A LOT and when it comes time to play solos they play what feels natural.

I'm asking because I want to be a guitar God someday and I love jamming and transcribing but I've never had much patience for theory or especially scales.  What do you think?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 07:30:19 am »
anybody that says they never learned a scale is either:

1] talking out of their rear-end

2] a one-in-a-billion prodigy / genius / freak

start learning scales dude

:)