Author Topic: BS-401 • Killing Me Softly With His Song - (Roberta Flack / Fugees)  (Read 23891 times)

Offline jellybee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: BS-401 • Killing Me Softly With His Song - (Roberta Flack / Fugees)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 01:16:02 pm »
As I recall, the chord sequence for that little part inbetween the chorus and the first verse is Am7 D Am7 D Am7 D Am7 D.  You could easily play the Am though.   The strumming pattern he recommends is old faithful (DDUUD)
Thank you for your help.

1 more issue is that when I play along with the record, my strumming is always longer than the lyrics. And so, it seems to me that there is an extra, redundant bar in both the chorus and the verse. To be sure, I want to cross check the chord sequences for the chorus and the verse
[Chorus]
Em Am D G Em A D C G C F7 F7 E E

[In between]
Am7 D Am7 D Am7 D Am7 D

[Verse]
Am D G C Am D Em Em Am D G B7

Counting starts at the word "strumming", right ?

Also, this is the record I use to jam along

Any help is much appreciated.

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 01:27:27 pm »
Yep, that all looks right.  The only thing is the vocal lyrics start like a 1/2 beat after the chord for the verses, but like you said, the chorus is right on beat one.
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline jellybee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 04:10:11 pm »
Yep, that all looks right.  The only thing is the vocal lyrics start like a 1/2 beat after the chord for the verses, but like you said, the chorus is right on beat one.
OK. Thank you for your help.
Guess now I just need to work on my beat counting.

Offline naturalmystic

• Good Vibes 0
There is a long gap in between the first chorus and the first verse https://youtu.be/l2n167F0eBc?t=25 What can you play in that gap?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
If you try you can actually go straight from that first chorus into the verse...however if you want to replicate a little more closely as per your YouTube link you could just play some of the verse chords a couple of times. I dug out my book and I reckon if you played Am, D, G, C a couple of times BEFORE you then sang the verse that would sound ok. Obviously you could do far more complicated things (picking some chords etc.) but I think that would be the easiest. Give it a try and see what you think
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
temporary

Get The Forum As A Mobile App