Author Topic: CH-008 • Triad Chords  (Read 36401 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
CH-008 • Triad Chords
« on: October 05, 2008, 05:35:04 pm »
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:00:57 pm by close2u »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Quark

Re: CH-008 • Triad Chords
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »
Justin, thanks for the triad lesson, it was great.
Am I correct with the following: Use the  E shape for the minor chords with the root is on the G string, the upside down D shape when the root is on the B string. And a bar shape when the root is on the high E string?

W

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 05:46:59 am »
awesome lessons, really helping me piece together the whole from all the little bits I have picked up along the way.

for example I love the band Carter USM, one of their tunes, Good grief Charlie Brown, uses a standard G C D progressioon i think, and i worked out the little riff by moving a D open chord around, index finger 7th fret, then 12th then 14th.

and now from knowing this has a root on the 2nd string it follows that this is G C D and its awesome to know that you can use the other two shapes also and understanding how it makes sense that these chords include the 1st the 3rd and the 5th.  Awesome, its like you know what things I need to learn to help me understand ... get out of my head man !!! :p

its also helping to learn all the notes without feeling like I am having to learn them all
top and botom are the same abd learned from power chords, 5th you learn from power chords, 4th you can figure out quickly from 6th string octaves, 3rd from 5th string octaves, leaving just 2nd to learn, and using these triads makes that more fun :D

thanks again justin

as for questions, I tink you cleared most things up for me, but would it be the same thing using the 6th, 5th and 4th strings  in a sort of barre G shape as this also contains the 1st 3rd and 5th.  Although the fingering is a little trickier and it gives a funky bass tone ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 05:52:06 am by DeadlyChicken »
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

bananajoe

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 04:14:10 am »
as for questions, I tink you cleared most things up for me, but would it be the same thing using the 6th, 5th and 4th strings  in a sort of barre G shape as this also contains the 1st 3rd and 5th.  Although the fingering is a little trickier and it gives a funky bass tone ;)

Yes, you can do that. Those triads can be played in all string combinations, like 654 - 543 - 321, but their
shape changes everytime. The shape you mention for example, if I understood it correctly, gets used a lot
in the "snow" riff by rhcp.

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:09:09 pm »
aaah your are correct that shape does, had not thought to check and see what notes they are :D sweet thanks joe

I have been thinking about this a little more, and realised that the ending licks in the hotel California solo  seem to draw on triads.

the chord progression I follow Bm, F#, A, E, G, D, Em, F#.  and the way I do the triples lick at the end of the solo ( I know they use pull offs and fancy stuff, but it always sounded like a one note per string thing when I heard it, so thats how I do it )

the first one I use ,
1st string 14th fret ( fifth ) F#
2nd string 15th Fret ( flattened third ) D,
3rd string 16th fret ( Root ) B,

So that’s a minor triad using the root on the third string, which makes it a Bm, awesome it seems like that is what is going on.  It does seem to work for most of them, however, there are a couple that are not the triad shapes

Like I think the second one ( over the F# chord ) goes like this
1st string 12th fret E
2nd string 14th Fret C#,
3rd string 15th fret A#,

( no idea but it’s over the F# )

but then the 3rd one slips back into triad country for the A chord
1st string 12th fret ( fifth ) E
2nd string 14th Fret (Third ) C#,
3rd string 14th fret ( root ) A,

there are a couple that use this like  a stretched minor triad with the root on the third string and the 1st string fingering flatted one half step ( like the second lick over the F# I described above )  But then the root does not fit over the chord either ?

Can this fit into triad theory too ? or is this just some scale lick that happens to work and sound a bit like the triads in use in the other bits ??

Thanks

DC
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:42:14 am by DeadlyChicken »
Electric
Amps
Acoustic
FX

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 06:26:27 pm »
Cheers DC - glad to help with the vids :)

You can use on any strings.

Not sure about snow though... but the RHCP are usually diatonic, so I expect to - work out the notes and see if they all fit into a scale - looks to me like D Major - but the E chord doesn't fit... hmmm ;)

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

bananajoe

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 07:18:35 pm »
That 2nd shape over the F# chord is a dominant 7th arpggio, DC. So you have the 3rd, 5th and 7th without
the root note. That's the shape I meant that is played in "Snow", although there it gets played on the 6th and 5th
string and thus becomes a major triad.

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 11:51:21 am »
thanks guys ;)

Makes a lot of sense that does ;)

Snow is such an awesome tune, even playing it slow if you get it smooth it sounds so ... bubbly and lovely :D One day I might be able to play that song throughout :D.

Electric
Amps
Acoustic
FX

matttherocker

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 03:10:54 pm »
Might be a stupid question but how many positions are there on each set of 3 strings? For instance I've found one triad shape on the 6th, 5th and 4th strings, but I'm not sure if there are any more

geordie777

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 03:23:20 pm »
Thanks Justin class lesson on triads. I knew nothing bout them before I done the lesson but after watching vids managed to work out the minor triads in bout 5 mins so thanks for that. ;D

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 05:45:13 pm »
There are 3 shapes on each set of 3 strings. So 12 all together.

Off you go now and study hard ;)

J

bgrich2003

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 07:39:08 am »
This was a really great lesson.  Also learn weezer island in the sun it goes along great with this lesson.

sshelton961

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 05:29:46 am »
I'm very new at playing guitar, your triad lesson helped alot, thanks. I do have one question though...
Using the Root, 3rd, and 5th to create the triad, and using shape one, where the root note is on the little E string:

D Traid is: (Root) D 1st String - (3rd) F# on 3rd String - (5th) A on 2nd String

What I don't understand is the F#, to me the 1,3,5 would be D, F, A
The other D Triads on the 2nd and 3rd strings are like this too.

If someone could give me a grip on why this is it would be very helpful.

jimiclaptoncarl

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 06:21:38 am »
Hi sshelton961, welcome to the forum.

If you want a major chord(or triad) you use 1-3-5 to create it. No matter what key you are in. So to play a D triad you need the 1-3-5 in D major. This is where you have a problem. The key of D major has the notes D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#  If you play D-F-A that would be a D minor chord because you lower the 3rd one fret.

Ask if you don't fully understand.  :)

jimiclaptoncarl

sshelton961

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 11:38:43 am »
Now it makes total sense, thank you so much. My headache is now gone.

I've been trying to learn as much music theory as possible but with out someone there to ask questions it can get frustrating.

I love this site.

gibbduncan

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 03:49:52 pm »
Hey bluesdudes (I think I stole that from justin but I liked it so much, I call all my friends bluesdudes now)

I think i grasp the theory behind the triads but I'm having a little trouble muting the bottom 3 strings when I'm playing triads on the top 3 strings. It would be great to be able to do this to get kind of a reggae feel, and I also do a lot of muting when I strum anyway.

ANy tips?

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 01:43:08 pm »
I just ran across this and this is one of the coolest things that I have learned so far.  This is allowing me to play all over the neck of my guitar.  This is excellent!!!!!!!! ;D  This makes me very happy!

I've started to create a few little songs on my own.  Nothing to write home about but nevertheless it lets me be creative using my own thoughts.  YEAH!!

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Muffinz

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 12:59:59 pm »
Very nice lesson! This will take my rhytm-playing to the next level I think. Just one question though: What about Dominant 7th chords? Like how should I play a E7 for instance? Shall I change any of the notes to the 7th of the scale? In that case is it the root (that would make sense if you look at how D7 looks, but then it has no D in it making it not a D7 chord?)? Some clarification would be appreciated :)

CortMarshall

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 07:41:45 pm »
Very nice lesson! This will take my rhytm-playing to the next level I think. Just one question though: What about Dominant 7th chords? Like how should I play a E7 for instance? Shall I change any of the notes to the 7th of the scale? In that case is it the root (that would make sense if you look at how D7 looks, but then it has no D in it making it not a D7 chord?)? Some clarification would be appreciated :)

Hey Muffinz ;) lol
A triad contains only the first the third and the 5. A dominant seventh chord has the first, third, fifth, and (flattened)seventh. Thats four notes(if you couldn't count them yourself)lol. like an open D7: D(root) A(fifth) B#(seventh) and F#(third) 4 notes. So you couldn't play a 3 string dominant seventh chord unless you had a bass or whatever playing the root. Like in the earlier mentioned hotel california.

Muffinz

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 10:05:23 am »

Hey Muffinz ;) lol
A triad contains only the first the third and the 5. A dominant seventh chord has the first, third, fifth, and (flattened)seventh. Thats four notes(if you couldn't count them yourself)lol. like an open D7: D(root) A(fifth) B#(seventh) and F#(third) 4 notes. So you couldn't play a 3 string dominant seventh chord unless you had a bass or whatever playing the root. Like in the earlier mentioned hotel california.

So I should just switch to playing a normal chord (not a triad) when there is a dom7th chord? Or should I play it without the seventh and let my jam-partner play the 7th?

PhillD

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 09:30:04 am »
Muffinz I'm not entirely sure what your trying to do here, you cannot have a triad 7th, 6th or any other extended chord as they are extended from the triad.
If you need to play a 7th chord, play a 7th chord otherwise playing a normal chord will not give you the sound you need, it might sound a bit bland (especially if you went  A to Amaj7 in a split bar it'd just sound like a load of A). As stated you could get someone like a bass player to play part of the chord but you'd have to make sure you were locked in with their playing otherwise it could all go a bit 'Celine Dion'.
You could also take your method and let your jam partner play the 7ths (although that would make you the rhythm player not the lead as he/she is playing over your rhythm with a chord style soloing). Again you'd need to be quite fluid and locked in otherwise it will end up clashing if you start a bar of E while they're still on the last strum of B7.

Muffinz

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 01:07:13 pm »
Muffinz I'm not entirely sure what your trying to do here, you cannot have a triad 7th, 6th or any other extended chord as they are extended from the triad.
If you need to play a 7th chord, play a 7th chord otherwise playing a normal chord will not give you the sound you need, it might sound a bit bland (especially if you went  A to Amaj7 in a split bar it'd just sound like a load of A). As stated you could get someone like a bass player to play part of the chord but you'd have to make sure you were locked in with their playing otherwise it could all go a bit 'Celine Dion'.
You could also take your method and let your jam partner play the 7ths (although that would make you the rhythm player not the lead as he/she is playing over your rhythm with a chord style soloing). Again you'd need to be quite fluid and locked in otherwise it will end up clashing if you start a bar of E while they're still on the last strum of B7.

Thanks, that's explains everyhting :)

Begginer at guitar

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 01:29:23 am »
Hi dudes I have some question on my head...
First of all I've worked all the 12 shapes of the triads on strings 123, 234, 345, 456.
I was wondering if one of you guys could check if I did it right...
(all tabs it's just an example...but how it's a shape, works for any chord right?  ;))

string 1 2 3:       Shape 1: x x x 3 2 2     Shape 1: x x x 2 2 2       (e string = root note)
        (e B G)        (major)                      (minor)

Shape 2: x x x 2 3 2      Shape 2: x x x 2 3 1      (B string = root note)
                          (major)                      (minor)

Shape 3: x x x 3 3 1      Shape 3: x x x 3 2 1       (G string = root note)
                         (major)                       (minor)

string 2 3 4:       Shape 1: x x x 4 2 3     Shape 1: x x x 3 2 3      (B string = root note) 
       (B G D)        (major)                      (minor)

Shape 2: x x x 3 3 3      Shape 2: x x x 3 3 2       (G string = root note)

Shape 3: x x x 4 3 2       Shape 3: x x x 4 2 2        (D string = root note)

string 3 4 5:       Shape 1: x x x 4 2 2     Shape 1: x x x 3 2 2       (G string = root note)
        (G D A)        (major)                      (minor)

Shape 2: x x x 3 3 2      Shape 2: x x x 3 3 1      (D string = root note)

Shape 3: x x x 4 3 1      Shape 3: x x x 4 2 1       (A string = root note)

string 4 5 6:       Shape 1: x x x 5 3 3     Shape 1: x x x 4 3 3      (D string = root note) 
       (D A E)        (major)                      (minor)

Shape 2: x x x 3 3 2      Shape 2: x x x 3 3 1       (A string = root note)

Shape 3: x x x 4 3 1       Shape 3: x x x 4 2 1        (E string = root note)

Also, I don't really know where I could use all this triads...justin tips that "I shot the sherif" it's a good tune to work out the triads...but there is any song that uses essencialy triads?

Last doubt...I should mute the others 3 strings or should I work out my strum to hit only the triads?

Thanks

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 11:25:52 am »
aaah your are correct that shape does, had not thought to check and see what notes they are :D sweet thanks joe

I have been thinking about this a little more, and realised that the ending licks in the hotel California solo  seem to draw on triads.

the chord progression I follow Bm, F#, A, E, G, D, Em, F#.  and the way I do the triples lick at the end of the solo ( I know they use pull offs and fancy stuff, but it always sounded like a one note per string thing when I heard it, so thats how I do it )

You're right about them using single note stuff, but there's another guitar part wich use the flick offs, and the other does single note stuff. I am currently working out the flick offs part(which Joe Walsh does) and I think your triads are correct. I hope this helped. :)

zkash_guitarist
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:31:48 am by zkash_guitarist »
Check out my roadcase.

jimihendrixwannabe

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 05:59:07 am »
Just trying to understand what makes a chord "a chord". The C Diminished triad consists of the notes C, Eb and Gb, but I've noticed the notes in the chord are Eb A, C and Gb. Is this just not going by the rules? or am I missing something?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App