Author Topic: good irish music stores  (Read 2278 times)

stratomaster

good irish music stores
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:03:37 pm »
anybody know any good irish music stores.

bananajoe

Re: good irish music stores
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:19:31 pm »
MUHREENUH!!!

muhreenuh

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:45:38 pm »
hello :)

tower records, golden discs, HMV, zavvi

hold on.. do you want irish as in traddy or irish as in... within the four corners of ireland???

muhreenuh

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:00:26 pm »
also, if you're in the north, there's a new record shop opening on saturday (26th) .. it's the rebirth of Good Vibrations run by Terri Hooley (who notoriously discovered The Undertones)

it's at 13 Winetavern Street (the street parallel to Gresham St, where all the sex shops are, just behind Castle Court, near Smithfield)

that shop will have great music in it :)

in Dublin there are dozens of great, small independent record shops, I can't remember their names nor their exact locations, but if you want I can do some research and get back to you! two, I know for sure, are in a big market place... although, that's not much help.. it might be just off to the right of Grafton St if you're walking towards St Stephen's but I'm not absolutely sure..

There is a HMV and Golden Discs on Grafton St (Dublin).. not sure about Tower Records but.. http://www.towerrecords.ie/ should help

There is a Zavvi on Royal Avenue (Belfast) and a HMV opposite McDonald's (grr at McD's! and at most corporations..)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:02:24 pm by muhreenuh »

muhreenuh

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:37:37 am »
OR! do you mean for instruments? lol

stratomaster

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:40:15 am »
i meant indie record shops but now that you mention it know any good instrunts and btw ""(the street parallel to Gresham St, where all the sex shops are, just behind Castle Court, near Smithfield)" thanks for the tip lol.

muhreenuh

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 01:18:55 pm »
you're in the north then aye?????

good guitar shops in Belfast = Marcus Music (if you can haggle!) which is at the top of Royal Ave. opposite the library, and Matchett's Music which is nearer to City Hall on the road perpendicular to Royal Avenue.. Just face city hall, cross the road and turn right. Guitar Emporium near Lavery's isn't all that bad either.. depends really.. you'd get good luthier work in there and advice too :)

in Dublin there is Music Maker, and a few others scattered around but I can't remember their name!!!! Not hard to locate if you're dandering around though.. one is where they filmed the piano scene in "Once" :)

GuitarHobo

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:55:55 pm »
Well, any craic?  ;)

Waltons music store, located in 69 South Great Georges St. Dublin 2, is very well stocked and instruments include: Strings, Woodwind, Brass and Wind, Piano, Guitar and Bass, drums, keyboards etc etc

There is an alternative store located in 2 North Frederick St. Dublin 1... I haven't paid a visit to that one yet. But I strongly recommend the first store listed. Oh and it's largely a Gibson store, so you may or may not hold that against it depending on what brand you prefer.

As for indie record shops....I haven't a clue  ???

stratomaster

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 11:10:13 pm »
waltons are not very good. they didnt know sx made teles and they didnt know what a potentiometer was. essaness in kilkenny and goodwins in dublin are the only good ones ive seen so far.

GuitarHobo

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 12:22:50 am »
Hmm I found Waltons to be the best out of a bad lot. Though I did notice with the staff it would be 50/50 if they knew their stuff or not..  ::)

I can't think of many other music stores that are actually of any worth to mention..the stores in Galway are pretty poor. I suppose Midland Sound Factory in Athlone isn't too bad. It's a lil bit cramped and the range could be more extended. But the owner is real sound and he's a technician/guitarist, so he knows his stuff.

If you ever found yourself in the Midlands, worth having a look anyway.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App