Author Topic: Introduce yourself ...  (Read 606878 times)

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 208
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: Introduce yourself ...
« Reply #1150 on: June 29, 2021, 08:29:52 am »
Welcome new Peeps

Good to see such diversity across the globe and age differences, let alone genres.
Enjoy your ride and shout up when you stumble, we've all been there !

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Ulvy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1151 on: July 01, 2021, 12:48:11 pm »
Hi all! My name is Maria, but you can call me Ulvy. I'm a beginner guitarist. I'm 39, my birthday is Sept. 1, 81. I live in Michigan, USA.

I started playing around with the guitar on and off in my teens, but I don't think it counts for much. For various reasons, I wasn't ready to learn at that point. I don't want to bore you with that story, so I'll fast forward 20 or so years:

I have been looking inside to find what I want to be. Yeah, I still haven't found out, hehe. Anyways, one of the things that were a theme for me was missing guitar in my life. I promised myself a new guitar for my 40th birthday, and I started looking. Well, looking failed. I brought home an acoustic Yamaha.

Then the search for any and all guitar wisdom started. Hello Youtube! After hours and hours down the rabbit hole, I noticed a trend, one name kept being mentioned: Justinguitar. I had to figure out who this dude is, and that lead me here.

I had my guitar now for almost 3 weeks and followed the beginner course for 2 weeks. I'm currently working on the simple version of I Walk the Line by Cash. My short-term goal is to learn that song well, and maybe a couple of others, before September - so I can play it for my husband.

I have no idea how long it takes to learn a song, but I feel a deadline helps me stay on track. I'm not sure what genre I like best, I'm all over depending on mood. My long-term goal is to be able to play songs for my close friends. My far-out-there goal is to be able to express myself musically, maybe invent my own style and write a couple of songs.

Offline Dadda

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1152 on: July 05, 2021, 01:32:53 am »
Nickname: Dadda
Real (full) name: Steve
Age and birthday: 52, 10 Jan 1969
Habitat: Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own? Yamaha FG800M

Which guitar do you currently play on? Yamaha FG800M

Which amp(s) do you own? none

How long have you been playing guitar? 2 weeks

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? too many

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? bum notes... ;)

Who are your favorite bands? so many, its hard to list / remember

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
My daughter (11) has been learning for the past ~12 months. She has grown out of here 3/4 guitar and I gave her grandad's old Classical Guitar a love up for her, which I found very enjoyable.
 :) New Brass Machine heads,
 :) Neck & body a good clean and polish along with,
 ;) A love up, including lemon oil, for the fretboard along,
 :D And new strings.

This got me thinking about getting on the learning journey for myself.
Then I recently came across Justins site and it started me thinking when way back, I was younger than my daughter, I was given the opportunity to attend lessons, however, I was also given the opportunity to not continue after a little while of not practicing as it was hard slog for a 7 year old who had things to do.... I went the 2nd option - and have regretted it since.
Justins site and all the comments clicked with me - well here I am - and loving the journey.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
No

Why do you play guitar?
I have always loved the instrument - along with piano (my piano story is similar to my guitar) the piece that gets me most is my mum was a talented music teacher, however, I was a little toad student...

What are your goals for the future?
Enjoy the journey as far as it will take me and enjoy playing well into my old age. Maybe even play alongside my daughter :) occasionally.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1153 on: July 05, 2021, 07:43:06 am »
A very warm welcome to all recent members. :)

Offline bcaranto

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1154 on: July 11, 2021, 02:36:37 am »
Hi Everyone! Excited to be here! My name is Bryan. I'm from the Philippines.

Nickname: Bry
Real (full) name: Bryan Caranto
Age and birthday: 32?
Habitat: Philippines

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender Stratocaster '61 (or '63?) re-issue

Which guitar do you currently play on? Fender Strat

Which amp(s) do you own? Blackstar ID Core 20

How long have you been playing guitar? Almost about 16 years on/off.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? classical, blues, jazz, rock and recently indie-folk/pop

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? rock, indie-folk

Who are your favorite bands? John Mayer for sure. But I've been listening to Gregory Alan Isakov and Hollow Coves lately.

I was about 14 (around 2003?) when I first learned the guitar. I had seen my cousin play the guitar and asked my mom to buy one. We bought a $20 Weinstein guitar brand new (I don't even think it's original). It was a crappy guitar. But when I was starting out, I didn't know what's good or not, no YouTube reviews to check out. The only access I had to guitar knowledge was guitar magazine and song books–which costed around $5-10 each, and was already expensive for me.

The guitar's action was high. And it hurt my fingers every day. But I didn't care. I thought it was pretty normal. I never changed my strings except when they were broken. So, just imagine the pain I had to go through to learn guitar. The funny thing is, I never complained about it–again I thought everything was normal.

learned chords from song books. Around that time, I was also asked to play in a band contest. That's the time I actually became a bit serious and started learning stuff. But I never learned from a teacher or a course before. I just listened to CDs to figure out chords and solos.

I started my first real band when I was 16. Recorded songs. Some of our songs had been played on the radio. I had been gigging for about 4-5 years on and off. And I stopped when I was about 21-22 years old.

Life happened and I had always been telling myself one day I'll grab the guitar and play again. A few years back, I got hooked into classical music. So I started playing the piano. Then stopped again.

Now, just this year, because of the pandemic, someone gave me a guitar. A Fender Stratocaster. And I started recording songs and playing music. The problem is, I wasn't as good as before. I barely remember how to play.

So, that's how I found Justin Guitar's course–I searched for a course online and it was the most recommended course on Reddit. I actually wanted to try out a different one from another popular YouTube creator named Paul Davids. But since Justin has tons of free material, I decided to try it out first.

I'm glad I did! It was packed with so much value! I'm pacing through the beginner's lessons for now, just making sure I go through and review stuff. But I'm really looking forward to the intermediate lessons because I think that's where I belong to.

Yes! I've played with different bands before. I still have my own band but we're not that active anymore. Our drummer lives in Australia and the original guitarist now lives in Taiwan.

Why do you play guitar?
I want to be able to play music that I love listening to. And create my own music of course. But there are some things that I can't play yet, and that kind of gets me frustrated.

Improve my overall guitar skills. Do tons of covers on YouTube. Collab with Youtube artists. Play in bars. Travel in different countries and play in different bars there (I'm probably gonna start in Australia!). And write and produce music. It's going to be a life-long journey! And the first step is going through Justin's course :)

Offline snarkyboojum

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1155 on: July 11, 2021, 08:46:48 am »
Hello! My name is Adrian and I live in Australia. Been playing for about 4-5 months now, and getting close to the end of grade 2 of Justin's guitar course. Loving the process of learning and have found Justin's excellent lessons have made me even more curious about music than I was already. Loving the little bit of music theory I'm starting to learn, and appreciating different genres. Took me a while to come over here and join this community, but heard great things. Looking forward to learning with you all.

Here's some more info if you're interested:

Nickname: Adrian
Real (full) name: Adrian White
Age and birthday: I'm in denial about being over 40 now
Habitat: Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own?
I don't own a guitar (yet), but play on a borrowed Cort acoustic. I've kinda set myself a goal that if I'm still playing guitar by the end of the year (about 9 months of playing), then I'll buy myself a nice acoustic and maybe a classical guitar ;)

Which guitar do you currently play on?
The Cort

Which amp(s) do you own?
None. I'm acoustic only at the moment.

For how long have you been playing guitar?
Since March 2021, so about 4.5 months.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
I love classical guitar, rock ballads, some jazz and metal. All over the place ;)

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
Whatever I'm learning at the time. Just learned "More than Words" by Extreme. Well, the intro anyway.

Who are your favorite bands?
Too many to name :)

I had subscribed to a youtube channel "2SICH", and absolutely loved her acoustic interpretations of some metal songs I'd heard - check this video out if you're interested:

I happened to be between jobs at the time, had plenty of spare time on my hands, and asked my twin brother (who has been playing guitar for about 25 years) whether he thought I could learn acoustic. He immediately lent me one of his acoustic guitars and the rest is history ;)

No, but I would love to jam with some more experienced musicians when I have a few more skills ;)

Why do you play guitar?
Because it sounds beautiful, it feels so rewarding to make progress, and it's like no other hobby I have. I've always loved music, I always have music playing, but I've never learned an instrument. Learning guitar has opened up music for me in a way I hadn't expected. It's a beautiful thing!

To play incredible acoustic music with friends, and entertain people ;)

Offline kiransrao

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1156 on: July 16, 2021, 06:05:57 pm »
Nickname: Kiran
Real (full) name: Kiran R
Age and birthday: 42
Habitat: India, Bangalore (silicon valley of India)

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Which guitar do you currently play on?
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Which amp(s) do you own?
Blackstar amPlug2 FLY Guitar Headphone Amplifier
Blackstar FLY 3 Mini Guitar Amplifier, Black

For how long have you been playing guitar?
Since 2 weeks

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
Rock, pop, metal, easy listening.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
Trying to master the D chord.   :D

Who are your favorite bands?
Mr. Big, Nirvana, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd.

Hit middle age crisis.  Stable in life with a predictable job, family.  My daughter playing on the keyboard inspired me to jump into learning guitar.

Nope.  No band playing experience.

Why do you play guitar?
The sounds from guitar are magic.  I cannot explain.

I have no goals, I am a student, a traveler on the journey not knowing what or where the destination.
This is the first time, I am learning something for me at my schedule and at my pace. 

Offline humblebee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1157 on: July 20, 2021, 06:05:53 pm »
Hey Kiran,

Welcome to the JG community. I'm from Ahmedabad. Nice to meet someone from India. I've been in the beginners camp a little longer than you. Started on an Acoustic and just bought a Pacifica :). Hope you enjoy your journey and have lots of fun. Totally agree, sound from a Guitar is indeed magic. Good luck!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App