Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 538987 times)

Offline Chazzo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1275 on: July 06, 2020, 01:21:57 am »

Nickname: Charlie/chazzo/chaz
Real (full) name: Lee Bateman
Age and birthday: 42 years old
Habitat:
Birmingham uk
Which guitar(s) do you own?
Hudson HDR3 acoustic
Which guitar do you currently play on?
Hudson
Which amp(s) do you own?
None
How long have you been playing guitar?
I learned a few open chords years ago (maybe 6-7!years ago) but some life difficulties happened and I stopped. Recently got back into it using Justin’s beginners course book and vids and really enjoying it.
Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
I like all sorts really.
Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
Well it’s all gone a bit Neil Young at the moment lol
Who are your favorite bands?
Neil Young, Dylan, QOTSA, pearl jam among many. The new bands I’m into are Murder Capital, Amyl and the sniffers, Ditz, Cassels. Also like pigs x7, Fontaine’s DC, JOHN, there’s just so much great music about.
What inspired you to start playing guitar?
Music is a vital part of my life and I’m inspired by lots of different artists
Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
No
Why do you play guitar?
For enjoyment, it can be a lot of fun
What are your goals for the future?
Just to keep having fun and improving everyday, maybe write some terrible songs in the the future lol

I’ll just say hey to everyone and looking forward to joining the community. P.S doing this from my phone so unsure if I’ve done it correctly. Apologies if I’ve made a balls up lol

Offline Helen

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1276 on: July 10, 2020, 04:06:36 am »

Nickname:
Real (full) name  Helen
Age and birthday:63 but 18 in my head
Habitat:West Yorks

Which guitar(s) do you own? Les Paul customised standard - my fav,  Fender telecaster rarity (just bought), PRS Santana SE.

Which guitar do you currently play on? All of them

Which amp(s) do you own? Blackstar plus a small Orange cab and a Terror Stamp

How long have you been playing guitar? Since I was a teenager at school on and off - but only got my first electric when I was 40.  Ive not stuck at it consistently though and had a few years not playing, so just getting back to it and finding `I've forgotten a lot and lost dexterity.  So enjoying working my way through `justins cause .

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?  Ooo I like loads - blues, rock, ska, punk, indie

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Blues/rock

Who are your favorite bands? Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac,  Green Day, James, The Killers,  The Intterupters,
Reel Big Fish, The Enemy, The Stone Roses,  Laurence Jones

What inspired you to start playing guitar? One thing going to church did for me lol but not a lot else

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No  I did for a short while

Why do you play guitar?  Ive always wanted to be a rock star haha

What are your goals for the future?  Just to improve and be competent
[/quote]

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
  • Getting on with my life now!
« Reply #1277 on: July 10, 2020, 06:55:43 pm »
Thanks very much for the welcome and the good vibes!  I was a bit late to the party with Icicle Works/Ian McNabb, only discovered them in the last couple of years when a friend mentioned them, but I'm definitely making up for lost listening time now.  Was lucky enough to get along to an IW gig in January this year which was a lot of fun  :)
I just did a quick hunt around the forum and worked out what the AVOYP section is, the chances of me being brave enough to post in there are pretty slim but let's see how it goes!  I'm certainly enjoying myself so far, and am really looking forward to my fingers toughening up so I can practice more  :D
Nice old guitar there, I’ve got a 70’s classical guitar myself, it’s a lovely old friend! You’ve got a friend with Brian, he plays a Classical guitar most of the time too! Keep plugging along at it, you’ll soon get better and maybe catch the GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) like all of the rest of us 😂😂😂
Oh and don’t worry about posting your efforts in AVOYP, you will get nothing but positive advice and encouragement in there, anyone says any different and I’ll give them a virtual slap!!!
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #1278 on: July 10, 2020, 07:05:43 pm »

Nickname:
Real (full) name  Helen
Age and birthday:63 but 18 in my head
Habitat:West Yorks

Which guitar(s) do you own? Les Paul customised standard - my fav,  Fender telecaster rarity (just bought), PRS Santana SE.

Which guitar do you currently play on? All of them

Which amp(s) do you own? Blackstar plus a small Orange cab and a Terror Stamp

How long have you been playing guitar? Since I was a teenager at school on and off - but only got my first electric when I was 40.  Ive not stuck at it consistently though and had a few years not playing, so just getting back to it and finding `I've forgotten a lot and lost dexterity.  So enjoying working my way through `justins cause .

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?  Ooo I like loads - blues, rock, ska, punk, indie

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Blues/rock

Who are your favorite bands? Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac,  Green Day, James, The Killers,  The Intterupters,
Reel Big Fish, The Enemy, The Stone Roses,  Laurence Jones

What inspired you to start playing guitar? One thing going to church did for me lol but not a lot else

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No  I did for a short while

Why do you play guitar?  Ive always wanted to be a rock star haha

What are your goals for the future?  Just to improve and be competent

Hey Helen I'm 64 going on 19 ! Sounds like you have some good kit and super taste musically, so welcome on board. WFIW spent my last 18 years in Wakefield before pulling the plug on work and retiring to France in alte 2011. Like your goal, improvement and competent. simples. Follow Justin's path. shout up on the forum if you aint clear and you'll do ok.  8)   
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline AngryKitten

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1279 on: July 10, 2020, 08:38:32 pm »
Nice old guitar there, I’ve got a 70’s classical guitar myself, it’s a lovely old friend! You’ve got a friend with Brian, he plays a Classical guitar most of the time too! Keep plugging along at it, you’ll soon get better and maybe catch the GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) like all of the rest of us 😂😂😂
Oh and don’t worry about posting your efforts in AVOYP, you will get nothing but positive advice and encouragement in there, anyone says any different and I’ll give them a virtual slap!!!

I think I've already got a slight case of GAS, planning a visit to some local guitar shops with a couple of friends who play... could be dangerous, and tough on my credit card!  I will still play this one though, I've become quite fond of it over the last week or so  :)

Maybe one day I'll be brave enough for AVOYP.  Been involved in music for many years but have always had issues with any kind of solo thing.  But we'll see.  And if I do, I'll definitely shout you if I encounter anyone who needs a virtual slap ;D

Offline marc7406

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1280 on: July 10, 2020, 09:54:59 pm »
Marc here from South Africa. Been playing a while. Stopped for 10 years and started up again. Basically from scratch.

Sent from my SM-A105F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #1281 on: July 11, 2020, 12:29:54 pm »
Welcome Mark, from a fellow South African.  As far as I know that now makes three of us here ... me in Jhb, Barend down in CT, and yourself in ???

Offline pclaradactyl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1282 on: July 12, 2020, 05:33:10 pm »
Nickname: pclaradactyl
Real (full) name: Clara
Age and birthday: 27
Habitat: Texas

Yamaha FS800

Yamaha FS800

Which amp(s) do you own?
n/a

1 day

Pop, Pop/Country, Indie/Rock

Pop/Country (I think I will anyways)

Taylor Swift, The Dixie Chicks, Kasey Musgraves

The Last of Us: Part 2 video game.

Nope.

Why do you play guitar?
Killing time during the pandemic. Something to learn and get better at.

Play songs that I like. I'm not looking to be a professional.

Offline TonyP

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1283 on: July 16, 2020, 02:45:41 am »

Nickname:  Not really a nickname but am going by TonyP!
Real (full) name:  Tony Perry
Age and birthday:  58 - 11 July
Habitat:  London UK - also spent a lot of my life in Melbourne, Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own?  None! I'm in the process of researching the learning & buying process.

Which guitar do you currently play on? N/A

Which amp(s) do you own? N/A

How long have you been playing guitar?   I did try to learn from an Ernie Ball book when I was 17...obviously didn't get vey far!!!

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?   Rock, blues, some jazz & big band music, classical. I can listen & enjoy many genres but not into rap or similar & 'thrash' type metal I'd guess you call it.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? N/A

Who are your favorite bands?   The Beatles (my absolute favourite), Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, ELO, The Eagles, U2 & CCR to name a few... :-)

What inspired you to start playing guitar?   My love of music & something to challenge me at the same time...& my favourite guitarists of which there are a few.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No

Why do you play guitar?   I hope to play guitar to satisfy a creative interest & maybe to put a bit of daydreaming into pratice!

What are your goals for the future?   At this stage to make a start & go much further than my attempt as a teenager. Also, as a challenge really. I broke a couple of fingers years ago on my right hand that never 'knitted' properly (as a guitarist I'll be a natural lefty) & I'm determined to find a way to be able to play something.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:16:06 pm by TonyP »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 544
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1284 on: July 16, 2020, 08:04:33 am »
Hello and welcome to all new members. If you need help navigating the forum just ask, look at the FAWs and Sticky threads or start exploring.
:)

Offline snaggletooth

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1285 on: July 19, 2020, 03:52:26 am »
Nickname: Sir
Real (full) name: Doug
Age and birthday:49 going on 17
Habitat: Melbourne, Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own? A Gretsch Rancher, I've also got a Gretsch Penguin Parlour acoustic I bought to restart playing acoustic guitar on but I think I'm gonna sell that. Electricwise I have a Fireglo Rickenbacker 330 and a Mapleglo Rickenbacker 360

Which guitar do you currently play on? I mostly play what the Gretsch website refers to as "G5034TFT RANCHER™, FIDELI-TRON PICKUP, BIGSBY® TAILPIECE, SAVANNAH SUNSET"

Which amp(s) do you own? Currently it's one of those little two channel Fender Acoustosonic 40's for Acoustic and a Tiny Terror Hard Wired Edition head with a couple of 1x10 boxes. Thinking about getting either a Yamaha THR30II or a Postive Grid Spark soon.

How long have you been playing guitar? On and off for like 35 years or something

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Oh so many. I've played in punk bands, DJ'd reggae, got tattoos of hard rock bands, love eclectic stuff like Tom Waits, Laibach, Babymetal, whatevs

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Hard rock to country on acoustic

Who are your favorite bands? So many. The Stooges, Motorhead, Rose Tattoo, Ian Dury, Tom Waits, Girlschool Cro Mags, Agnostic Front.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Seeing the film clip for Jailbreak by AC/DC

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Yeah I've played bass, sung and played guitar in bands.

Why do you play guitar? At the moment it's because I live in an apartment and I can be self contained and make music without a band, just me singing and playing my guitar.

What are your goals for the future? I just recorded 15 songs as a demo and realised where I can make improvements. I'm looking at getting singing lessons so I can be a better performer next and stepping my guitar playing up from campfire and punk level guitarist to something more musical and interesting. I seem to have a real block writing songs for acoustic but I've written scores of songs for electric. I guess being an accomplished acoustic singer/songwriter would be cool.

Offline rwoodlin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #1286 on: July 19, 2020, 01:41:31 pm »
Welcome, Snaggletooth.

Would that be Ian Dury as in Ian Dury and the Blockheads?

That takes me back..."Hit me with your rhythm stick"
Regards,
Robert

Offline snaggletooth

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1287 on: July 20, 2020, 05:12:38 am »
Welcome, Snaggletooth.

Would that be Ian Dury as in Ian Dury and the Blockheads?

That takes me back..."Hit me with your rhythm stick"

Thanks Robert!

Most definitely the one and same Ian Dury. The UK's greatest lyricist.

Are you a fan?

Offline rwoodlin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #1288 on: July 20, 2020, 10:54:07 am »
Back in the day 'Sex and Drugs and Rock 'n roll' was a constant in my Walkman as I tooled around the countryside on my motorcycle.  Really liked his take on things.
Regards,
Robert

Offline mister.trister

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1289 on: July 20, 2020, 06:07:52 pm »
Nickname: Mister Trister
Real (full) name: Tristan
Age and birthday: 42
Habitat: London

Which guitar(s) do you own? Yamaha F310

Which guitar do you currently play on? Yamaha F310

Which amp(s) do you own? None - acoustic all the way!

How long have you been playing guitar? 2 years, though sadly not continuously. I’ve found getting out of the habit of practising too easy so am trying to use lockdown as an opportunity to be more disciplined!

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Well I’m a child of the 90s so Britpop/Indie, naturally. But most kind of pop and rock too. Absolute favourite is classical but you won’t find me playing that on the guitar!

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Anything I can manage from Justin's songbooks!

Who are your favorite bands? REM, Oasis, Kasabian, Keane, Travis, the usual...

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I fancied a different challenge after giving up another hobby that I’d spent 22 years on.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No chance! Can’t imagine any band would have me!

Why do you play guitar? It’s an interesting challenge, occasionally very satisfying, and relaxing. It also looks cool in the corner of the room and makes people think I’m more talented than I actually am.

What are your goals for the future? Progressing to Justing’s intermediate stage, and rewarding myself with a better instrument if I manage it!

Offline bobuva

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1290 on: July 20, 2020, 07:09:22 pm »
Nickname: Bob
Real (full) name: Bob Uva
Age and birthday: 64
Habitat: Portland, Oregon, USA

1 - Fender Squire, left-handed
 2- Washburn acoustic, left-handed

learning with the Fender

Which amp(s) do you own?
   None yet.

Have attempted learning a couple of times, this time it will stick!

Blues rock

None yet -- still in lesson 1.

Allman Brothers Band
    The Beatles
    Eric Clapton
    David Bowie

I love music and have wanted to play for a long time, but have always been too busy with everything else.

No.

Why do you play guitar?
    Want the enjoyment of playing music I love.

Be able to play songs for the family.
     Possibly join an amateur band.

Offline NewmanEXP

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1291 on: July 22, 2020, 10:24:50 am »
Hi all,

Habitat: London, UK

New to the community but been learning via Justin since March 2020. Yep, another Covid-guitarist

Acoustic: Basic Martin Smith W-101. Electric: Ephiphone Les Paul Classic

Both of the above

Which amp(s) do you own? Basic Blackstar LT Echo 10

How long have you been playing guitar? I played briefly as a youngster but never took it seriously and gave up. Then tried again at 16/17 and gave it up again... Third time's a charm.. Ordered a budget beginners acoustic in March 2020 with the Covid-19 lockdown and am absolutely loving learning. Can't put it down.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock - both classic and modern. Blues, punk, Britpop, metal, indie, hip hop, everything!

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Mostly classic rock riffs on electric, and the typical acoustic/britpop style stuff on acoustic

Who are your favorite bands? The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rage Against The Machine, Muse, Oasis,

Failing at it twice before..

No ambitions to play in a band.

Why do you play guitar?
A personal challenge that's only down to me to succeed. So rewarding when you finally nail a song or solo.

What are your goals for the future? Get good enough to warrant buying a better acoustic and get to a level of playing confidently at gatherings etc. Oh, and I need to crack playing and singing. Well, singing in general  ;D

Offline long3791

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1292 on: July 25, 2020, 04:12:18 am »
Nickname:
Real (full) name: Long
Age and birthday:18
Habitat: Texas

Which guitar(s) do you own? An Ibanez AW-54 and Fender Standard Telecaster which are both left handed

Which guitar do you currently play on? I try to balance between both the tele and acoustic.

Which amp(s) do you own? Currently I own a Boss Katana Mini Amp to not wake the neighbors.

How long have you been playing guitar? For about 7 months

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? I love country, classic metal, and the blues

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? I play a mixture of country and metal.

Who are your favorite bands? Black Sabbath, Interval, John Mayer

What inspired you to start playing guitar? After listening to John Mayer and the solo to 'Iron Man' by the Black Sabbath.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Nope.

Why do you play guitar? I'm inspired to make music and to become well versed at my favorite instrument.

What are your goals for the future? To be able to improvise on the spot with my guitar playing and to hopefully one day start a band.

Offline jgraham1

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1293 on: July 26, 2020, 10:10:55 pm »

Nickname: Jim
Real (full) name: James
Age and birthday: 65. 07-12-1954.
Habitat: Barnet England.

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender Stratocaster American Professional.

Which guitar do you currently play on? As above.

Which amp(s) do you own? Fender Frontman 10G.

How long have you been playing guitar? 3Months, since I started the beginners course.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock, Blues, Country,

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? The beginners song book.

Who are your favorite bands? The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who, LED Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher, Sonny Landreth, Jon Martyn.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I’ve always wanted to learn and lockdown, provided me with plenty of free time to get started.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No.

Why do you play guitar? For enjoyment and to try and reach a level of proficiency so I can play along with others.

What are your goals for the future? To reach a level were I can play some classic songs and riffs.

All the best.

Jim.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #1294 on: July 26, 2020, 10:44:30 pm »
Not visited this post for quite some time but really pleased to see so many folks jumping on the train. Buckle down and enjoy the ride.

Welcome to all those who have joined the forum this year and are following Justin's path. To all that have, maximise your use of the forum and its members. There is a wealth of experience and a huge number of folks only too willing to help here. And remember if your just starting we were all where you are now and we'd rather you not fall down the same pot holes we did as we moved on down the road.

Cheers peeps

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline firebee

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1295 on: July 28, 2020, 08:22:01 pm »
Nickname: Too boring for one of those

Real (full) name: Mark Curston

Age and birthday: Body 60 years Mind 12 years. 07/02/60

Which guitar(s) do you own? Ibanez S521

Which guitar do you currently play on? As above.

Which amp(s) do you own? Blackstar ID Core 10

How long have you been playing guitar? 18 months on and off

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)Prog, classic rock, Folk, Blues, Metal, Jazz.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Anything I can manage.

Who are your favorite bands? Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Steely Dan, Dream Theater, Gary Moore, Jimi Hendrix + many others.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No.

Why do you play guitar? I ask that same question to myself all the time.

What are your goals for the future? To get better

What inspired you to start playing guitar? My love of music.

Offline mkgolfer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1296 on: July 29, 2020, 11:46:36 pm »
Nickname: Mr. Incredible
Real (full) name: Mark
Age and birthday: 59. 06-17-1961.
Habitat: Barnet England.

Which guitar(s) do you own? Epiphone Les Paul Classic and Epiphone S310 Stratocaster Batwing version.

Which guitar do you currently play on? Both.

Which amp(s) do you own? Line 6 Spider 2 2X 10

How long have you been playing guitar? 5 months, since I started the beginners course.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock, Blues, Fusion Jazz, Country,

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Right now, beginner's stuff...I can ROCK happy birthday!

Who are your favorite bands? ZZ Top, SRV, Larry Carlton, AC DC, Joe Satriani, Steve Via, Pat Travers. Alice In Chains.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I played trumpet and piano when I was VERY young. Messed around with the guitar off and on but decided I have something musical to say and decided it was the guitar cause the guitar ROCKS!

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? when I was in school I played in several school bands.  Small Jazz combo in college.

Why do you play guitar? For enjoyment and the challenge.

What are your goals for the future? To reach a level were I can play some classic songs,riffs, record cover songs and just enjoyment.

Offline briankelleher

• Good Vibes 0
    • Killer Guitar Rigs
« Reply #1297 on: July 31, 2020, 07:07:32 pm »
Nickname: Brian
Real (full) name: Brian Kelleher
Age and birthday: Old!
Habitat: The US

EPI LP Custom Pro, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat HSS, Ibanes RG7321, Yamaha A1R, Ibanez TMB100 bass

The Jaguar

Which amp(s) do you own?
Kemper

For how long have you been playing guitar?
~34 years

Punk and Metal

Metal and blues

Metallica and Converge

My brother brought home a bass and taught me Pixes riffs when I was small

Not in a while

Why do you play guitar?
Because I love it!

Learn more lead stuff

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 89
« Reply #1298 on: August 01, 2020, 08:40:37 am »
From one Brian to another, if you were listening to Pixies riffs when you were small, you can't be "Old!"  ;)
Welcome aboard.

Offline Sebbe plays

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1299 on: August 01, 2020, 01:58:12 pm »
b]Nickname:[/b] Sebbe Plays
Real (full) name: Sebastiaan
Age and birthday: 39 25-feb-1981
Habitat: Netherlands

Epiphone DR100 acoustic, Fender Vintera Telecaster 50s modified in silly Surf Green

Both equally

Which amp(s) do you own?
Bugera V5

Couple of months

Pop/rock, indie, Grunge, Classic rock, Blues, loads of styles actually

No idea, I don't know what I'm doing yet

Depends on my mood but to name a few; The Cure, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Television, The Beatles, Blur, David Bowie, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Slowdive, DIIV, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Wilco, Jeff Buckley, Tielman Brothers, Urban Dance Squad, The Police, Julian Lage and so on.

My fascination with the instrument itself mostly

No, but who knows maybe in the future

Why do you play guitar?
To translate the melodies stuck in my head through soundholes and pickups.

To reach a level that I can produce recognizable tunes and to make sounds that are satisfactory to me. And be able to play Coffee&TV and Grace.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App