Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 449577 times)

Offline GermanGuitarNoob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #2010 on: August 26, 2019, 02:46:44 am »
So the formal stuff first  ;)

DISCLAIMER: I am German. I think I am pretty good when it comes to the English language. But if I make some mistakes please don´t be too harsh. This isn´t my native language.

Nickname: Andi
Real (full) name: Andreas Ketteler
Age and birthday: 29 years old (28-09-89 )
Habitat: Germany

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Fender Player Strat HSS Plus MN ACB Aged Cherry Burst

Which guitar do you currently play on?
Fender Player Strat HSS Plus MN ACB Aged Cherry Burst

Which amp(s) do you own?
Blackstar Fly 3 Mini Amp

For how long have you been playing guitar?
Well. That´s a bit complicated. See below.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
Blues and Classic and Modern Rock. And a bit of Punk.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
Blues and Classic and Modern Rock. And a bit of Punk.

Who are your favorite bands?
Queen. Pink Floyd. Rolling Stones. Foo Fighters. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Green Day. Beatles (of course).AC/DC, Eric Clapton. Mark Knopfler.

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
Well. Mainly Angus Young and Eric Clapton  ;D They are very different but I think the moment I saw them I knew I have to learn this instrument at some point in my life.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
Nope.

Why do you play guitar?
Again... complicated. First of all: I love music. But I also have some psychological... let´s say issues. And I think it will help me significantly if I can achieve something and be a bit creative.

What are your goals for the future?
See above. I don´t have the urge to play in a band or even with others. I just want to learn to play guitar. I will never be a virtuoso nor will I ever become famous... I am too old for that. Just solid playing is enough for me.

My guitar journey is very... well... erratic. I am a pathological quitter (if this exists). So I started in 2008 and since then I am having an on-off relationship with guitars: Bought one, learned a bit via Youtube or on the Internet in general, quitted, sold the guitar. Then bought one, learned a bit... you get the idea  :-\ This is going on for 11 years. The result is: I have lost a lot of money and I still can´t play guitar properly. I can play open chords and bar chords. I can play the minor pentatonic scale. And I can play parts of some songs. But everything is very basic. For example: Yes I can play the pentatonic scale but can I improvise? Well... if just playing the shapes up and down counts as that...

So know I kicked myself in the butt and bought a new guitar and gear. I have extreme social anxiety too. Seeing a real tutor in the flesh would be difficult for me. In my erratic relationship I discoverd Justin Sandercoe and learned (at least I tried) a few songs from him but never made the courses. Know I will do the courses from scratch. In the last days I noticed that just a basic thing as a practice schedule is helping me to stay motivated. And this was just one of Justin´s first tips.

BTW: The recorded lessons with Tammy and Lee Anderton are very motivating too. To see people with the same learning problems and how they overcome them is very inspiring.

I know that Justin can´t read the posts here due to his busy schedule but I have to say this: Please keep doing what you are doing. You are a great guy and very helpful.

I have an extreme fear of missing out. What if Justin stops and the Website dies. Or there are knew copyright regulations on the Internet and the site is taken down. Or Youtube dies? It will take a LOT of time before I am through the courses. So I really hope JustinGuitar exists for another 10 Years.

So. That´s me  ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:44:27 am by GermanGuitarNoob »

Offline Auldreekie

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2011 on: August 27, 2019, 01:00:01 am »
Hi, newbie to the forum and brand new 69 yr old newbie attempting to learn a Yamaha F310 acoustic guitar.
I retired a few years ago where fly fishing was my main hobby but health problems stop me from that nowadays, so now I turn to the guitar to keep the old brain matter active. ;D

Only had guitar 3 days so I have a long way to go ::) not looking to become the next Jimi Hendrix or  Hank Marvin, just to be able to strum a song or two to show I can do it.

Usual complaints from me, podgy fingers, chords just out of finger length but I will persevere. Came across Justinguitar on Utube and found lots of useful info especially the alternative chord fingering then found the website and immediatley bookmarked it.  I've not got into all the guitar jargon yet.

Offline mkylman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2012 on: August 28, 2019, 05:44:38 am »
Hi everyone, my name's Michael, I'm nearly 28. I've played guitar on and off since I was around 12 or 13. Quit for a few years when I was 21, got back at it 24-25... I used to be on UG way back, was stuck with the embarrassing username "fingersofflame" that was so cool when I was 13.

I never did pro level recording until recently, on my grandfather Gary Browe's album, but I did write+record around 20-25 instrumental songs over the time I've been playing. It's funny, the songs from my first few years were so simple but honestly they're better than anything I write now. Funny how that works sometimes when you learn.

I mostly came here to participate in the monthly competition as I used to really enjoy those on other forums, though the format was a little different. I look forward to getting to know y'all.

I'm just kidding we don't say y'all in Michigan.

Offline Robertcraft

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2013 on: September 03, 2019, 09:11:23 am »
So happy to have found Justin Guitar.  I am 59 years old played 40 years ago left handed, lost my right pointer finger so now I am trying to play right handed. Justin brakes it down so even an old man like me can follow along  ,,.. Thank you

Offline nigec

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2014 on: September 03, 2019, 10:11:04 am »
I have extreme social anxiety too. Seeing a real tutor in the flesh would be difficult for me.

I know all about that one, I'm in the same boat sadly
Anyway welcome :)
Guitars:  Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline jusjamroc

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2015 on: September 06, 2019, 11:34:16 pm »
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long years
Stole million man's soul an faith... (woo-a-wooo!)

Now only joking, i am not really the devil....
My name is Justin (also). In my mid 40s.
Always wanted to play guitar properly, but never could really afford lessons.
Spent most my life making music in other ways, one way or another.
Originally a bass player, and later DIY Electronic Dance Music producer.

Went to uni took degree in sound technology (sound engineering studio / live sound).
But more into writing / producing than engineering. Know enough to get by perhaps.

So big hello to all. Please to meet you, you don't have to guess my name....

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #2016 on: September 07, 2019, 11:14:26 am »
Welcome to the several recent newbies to the site. Enjoy your guitar journey here.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Eric S

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2017 on: September 07, 2019, 09:59:13 pm »

Eris S
Eric Sullivan:
63 6/10/55:
Bristol UK:

Aldi C Giant concert five or ten years old

above and sometimes my Sons PRS Classical

Which amp(s) do you own?

seriously nearly two years

Prog rock

pop, folk /b]

Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Lou Reed later Beatles, Neil Young

always wanted to learn an instrument.  After six hand operations my fingers were straight for a while and I bought a guitar as a joke because I always used to ask my surgeon if I'd be able to play guitar afterwards and then say that's good because I couldn't before!

In a band? I wish

I like a challenge and at my age I need to excercise the brain.

to reach some sort of competence with it, camp fire level and maybe inspire my Grandson to take it up
[/quote]

Offline Broadus

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2018 on: September 09, 2019, 08:33:45 pm »

Nickname: Broadus
Habitat: upstate South Carolina, U.S.

Which guitar(s) do you own?Martin OM-21, Eastman AC710S

Which guitar do you currently play on? Both—the Martin at home and the Eastman at my office

Which amp(s) do you own? Fishman Loudbox Mini

How long have you been playing guitar? 12 years

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Folk

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Folk

Who are your favorite bands? The Gettys

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Accompaniment for small group worship

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No

Why do you play guitar? Love the sound of acoustics

What are your goals for the future? Become better technically and more well-rounded
[/quote]

Offline bcraig

• Good Vibes 0
  • Hello everyone ready to learn
« Reply #2019 on: September 14, 2019, 10:13:32 am »
Hi Everyone
I am new around here

Who I am

My name is Brian Craig a 50 year old guy that had to move from CA to Utah due to the cost of living but still want to learn

How long have I been playing

I been playing on and off for past few years
learning by myself self a little this and that but need to learn more and never have been in band

Gear I have

I use guitar processors ,small midi keyboard within Logic for my Mac
I have a Taylor acoustic
and I have a old green Mexican made strat
at this time

What Knowledge I have learn

I am not a newbie to music I do have some basic music theory down but have a lot of gaps in musically knowledge
which I hope if over time I fill in

Kind of Music I like

But I like Blues ,Jazz,Rock, Christian Rock, Hard rock And Classical music and I love all kinds of rhythms
I like guitar and piano etc,,,

Well thank You Justin for this form I hope I can learn
Here to learn 👍

God Bless

Offline Steggo81

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2020 on: September 14, 2019, 07:00:37 pm »
Hi Justin and hello to all on this forum. My name is Ste and I am a complete guitar newby. I am 38 and love music. I have always wanted to learn guitar and feel that I am now at that point in my life where I am ready as things are not standing in my way no more lol. I am excited to learn and have just bought my first guitar this week and am getting grips with A and D cords and changing between them. Fingers are a bit sore but taking it easy (5 to 10 mins at a time, a few times a day). Both cords are coming already but changing between them is hard, I’m sure this is normal for a beginner.
Anyway, I’m really digging the Justinguitar site and apps and I am astonished how much easier and more fun it is to learn nowadays. I did try when I was very young but other hobbies and interests unfortunately got in the way.
I’m so glad I am now choosing guitar as my new journey into music.

Offline Mister Pleasant

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2021 on: September 26, 2019, 10:50:54 am »

Nickname:
Mister Pleasant
Real (full) name:
Nige
Habitat:
Scotland

An old, unnamed classical acoustic (made in former East Germany!) and an SX Archtop
The SX
Which amp(s) do you own?
None at the moment but sights set on the Boss Katana (having seen Justin's review online)
How long have you been playing guitar?
After a hiatus of 35 years, about 3 months
Rock, blues, folk. Singer/songwriters.
Whatever I recognise in Justin's playlist!
KinKs, largely 60s/70s stuff. Jackson Browne, Iain Matthews and, above everything/everybody, Gerry Rafferty.
Who (not what) inspired you to start playing guitar?
Dave Davies
Hahahaha.
Why do you play guitar?
I cannot believe the peace and satisfaction it gives me.
To be able to walk into a pub, sit down and jam with whoever's there and playing.

Offline zardoz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2022 on: October 04, 2019, 01:01:19 am »
I made a sort of template out of Lucos' question list.
To use it, just click on the "Quote" button at the top-right of this post, delete the stuff above Nickname:, and then delete the  at the end, and then fill in the areas you choose to answer.

Nickname: zardoz
Real (full) name: Jim Walk
Age and birthday: 74, 08/31/45
Habitat: Mountain View, Arkansas

Which guitar(s) do you own?  Rogue RA-090

Which guitar do you currently play on? Same

Which amp(s) do you own? None

How long have you been playing guitar? 8 years during the 70's, now back to rank beginner.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Country, Folk, Rock & Roll

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Country, Folk

Who are your favorite bands? Bob Wills, Ventures, Beach Boys

What inspired you to start playing guitar? It looked like fun.  Haven't played for over 40 years and got interested again after seeing the Country Music series on TV.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? One time at a block party.

Why do you play guitar? I think it sounds great and is portable.

What are your goals for the future? Learn to play again and unlearn bad habits.  I'm retired, happily married, and living in the Ozarks so I'm living most goals.

Offline Ironmtndude

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2023 on: October 05, 2019, 05:11:26 am »

Nickname: Zen
Real (full) name:
Age and birthday: 50
Habitat: Virgina mountains

Which guitar(s) do you own? Martin DC-18E Martin DX-1 Alvarez AF-65

Which guitar do you currently play on? Martin DC-18E

Which amp(s) do you own?AT108

For how long have you been playing guitar? 2yrs

Which is/are your favorite music genre? Folk and rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Grateful Dead and similar

Who are your favorite bands? Dylan, Grateful Dead, Neil Young

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Hit by a DWI driver and suffered a brain injury...music is therapy!!

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No

Why do you play guitar? Helps with brain injury issues and I LOVE MUSIC!!

What are your goals for the future? Just learn and enjoy!!!

Offline Spider

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2024 on: October 05, 2019, 09:08:16 pm »
Nickname: Spider
Real (full) name:
Age and birthday: 65
Habitat: English Home Counties

Modded Yamaha 121C, Harley Benton CST24, Crafter 550 (LP double cut Jr) Washburn D10S Dreadnought

Most of them!

Which amp(s) do you own?
Stagg 15 watt, Modded Park 30 Watt

How long have you been playing guitar?
13 years, then a gap of 30 years, I am just catching up to my old standard

Rock, Blues, Jazz, Reggae

Blues

Joe Bonamassa, Eric Clapton, SAHB, Mark Knopfler, Steppenwolf, so many others with class frontmen

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
Started playing as I had been a roadie for 4 years for a local semi-pro band, then various pro bands for 12 months. Love music, get lost in it even when I am noodling.

Long time ago played in a local band, then with several pro bands on one nighters

Why do you play guitar?
Easy to play, sooo much tone from one instrument, no pedals just technique and alternative tunings, doesn't matter whether its acoustic or electric. I get lost in the "vibe"

1. To get my fingers working again, I have arthritis and can only practice for short periods, remember chords - not easy after so long memory not what it was
2. Attain a better standard than I had before
3. Get an Oldies band together to show some of the younger generation some class
4. Pass on playing knowhow to anyone who wants to listen.

Listen
Play
Live

Get The Forum As A Mobile App