Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 383402 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself - Update
« Reply #1860 on: November 30, 2018, 11:31:33 pm »
So I pulled the trigger and picked up a used Dean VX.  Now for the hard part. 

Offline ebswift

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1861 on: December 01, 2018, 08:38:55 am »
Nickname: ebswift
Age and birthday: 47 (1971)
Habitat: QLD, Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own?
1991 Samick SV-430 strat (got the same model for my son as well)

Which guitar do you currently play on?
1991 Samick SV-430 strat

Which amp(s) do you own?
Just beginner amps for now

For how long have you been playing guitar?
Noodled around in the early 90's, going in to actually learn this time...

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
For guitar I'd like to mess around with some blues & rock, I like listening to many genres

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
Playing around with some blues, it is a far reaching genre

Who are your favorite bands?
Grew up hooked on Dire Straits, ACDC, Metallica, The Cars, Tom Petty, Cat Stevens... ... ... As a kid I always watched "Countdown"

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
Watching people play, it's a skill for life that makes everyone happy

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
Nope

Why do you play guitar?
It's a lifetime learning skill that will be very rewarding and I want to pass on that passion to my son

What are your goals for the future?
To play well and rock on with my son and friends

Offline ManxCat

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1862 on: December 01, 2018, 08:39:34 pm »
Nickname ManXcat
Real name Umm...no.  8) This is the internet where everything is archived forever.
Age Early 60s
Habitat Australia

Which guitars do you own? Currently standing at a total of nine, a growing number of electric, e-acoustic, & acoustic with another electric on preorder awaiting local distro availability. "It'll be the last for a while honey ....I promise". Love em all but if I had to name favourite players, I think it'd be my Manson Stage Series Cort Classic TC or Yamaha Pacifica 612V II from the solid body electrics, and my Yamaha APX600 from the acoustic/e-acoustics.

Which guitar do you currently play on? All of 'em.

Which amp(s) do you own? Currently four, a portable PA with mixer and three amp simulator pedals which I also use in conjunction it and my Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD AI. All solid state, the physical amps are a Fender Champion 100 2x12 & Acoustasonic 15, a Blackstar ID:Core 40 & Fly 3 Stereo Combo.

How long have you been playing guitar? One year.

Which is/are your favourite music genre(s)? Simpler to ask which I don't like. Metal would be top of that list for starters. The Beatles epoch would summarise my guitar focus interest better than limitations of a single genre. I like listening to Julian Bream too mind.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? I'm within the first three years of learning, so I'm more about developing general skills and technique right now. If I had to name one I play most frequently in songs right now, it'd be classic rock and folk rock.

Who are your favourite bands? The Beatles, Free, The Eagles, America, MonaLisa Twins.... and many more. I've been on the planet a while.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? The challenge. Kicked guitar off initially aged 18 with a venerable Yamaha C40 equivalent, tutition was 'friend assisted' as it was back then unless you could afford expensive one on one pro tuition. Bought an SG and practise amp a year later. Played those for a couple of years before life, career and other interests were triaged a higher priority. Move along 40 plus years, looking for an interest with all the qualities it offered, my restart in Oct/Nov 2017 was incited by a subliminal dormant lingering interest motivated by the challenge it offered and having both the available time and means. A year on, lovin' it and if anything, my mojo for playing guitar is increasing.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No. 

Why do you play guitar? The stimulation and challenge at multiple levels.

What are your goals for the future? Enjoy the journey, go as far as I can with it in the remaining time health permits.
"Life is just a bowl of cherries"

Offline David_Meltzer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1863 on: December 03, 2018, 01:13:31 am »
Nickname:         David
Real (full) name:David Meltzer
Age and birthday:60 7/8
Habitat:Atlanta GA area

Which guitar(s) do you own?  Fender hot rod 52 re-issue tele, Fender player series strat, Alvarez AG75CE acoustic

Which guitar do you currently play on? Alvarez, but getting back into electric for 2019

Which amp(s) do you own? Blackstar HT-1

How long have you been playing guitar? On and off for 40 + years (with a brief 25 year break)

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? alternative, modern and classic rock - some country...

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Fingerpicking on acoustic

Who are your favorite bands? Slash w/Myles Kennedy, Pearl Jam, STP, GNR

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?  I do not now, but had done the cover band thing for 5-6 years in the early 2010's

Why do you play guitar? because it's there?

What are your goals for the future?  I had spent the past couple of years attempting to learn and get proficient in finger style acoustic - but got into a rut......so I am going back to my roots - I found Justin many years ago, and am coming back..........bought the new strat to help jump-start my motivation!

Offline Lieutenant Dan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1864 on: December 07, 2018, 07:00:40 pm »
Hi Justin, et al...here is my Introduction

Nickname: Lieutenant Dan
Real (full) name: Dan Bueche
Age and birthday: 60 years old (August 14, 1958 )
Habitat: USA

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Have a couple of pawnshop guitars...a Fender Model F-65 Acoustic and a Samick Greg Bennett Malibu

Which guitar do you currently play on?
Both

Which amp(s) do you own?
Some small beginner amp that came with the Samick

For how long have you been playing guitar?
Tried to learn a number of years back (DVD-based course).  Just starting over now.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
Classic Rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
Nothing yet.

Who are your favorite bands?
Wow.  So many from Beatles/Stones to Pink Floyd, Steely Dan...too many to mention

Last time was because the kids were spending so much time playing Guitar Hero and were bugging me to play a lot as well.  I decided that if I was going to spend a lot of time on it then I should just learn the real thing.  This time I just want to do it.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
No. I played brass instruments in band from age 10 through college.  Would like to goof around in a band some day.

Why do you play guitar?
I love music and want to be able to make it myself.

What are your goals for the future?
To be proficient enough to be able to play comfortably in front of other people and enjoy it.

Offline dennis

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1865 on: December 08, 2018, 05:13:23 pm »
Nickname dennis
Real name Dennis
Age 40
Habitat Washington State, USA

Which guitars do you own? I own a lap steel and a lap-style Dobro

Which guitar do you currently play on? Both of them.  Unlike most (all?) of the people hear, I play lap-style slide guitar exclusively.  This means that a large portion of the material on the site does not apply to me, for instance none of the tabs apply to me because my tunings are different and in any case my guitars don't have frets.  But I've found several of Justin's videos really helpful anyway.  For instance I've been learning his blues licks, figuring out how to play them on my own rig.  It turns out to be really useful to do that.

Which amp(s) do you own? A katana 100 1x12 and a roland acoustic chorus.

How long have you been playing guitar? 3 or 4 years with some big breaks in the middle

Which is/are your favourite music genre(s)? Blues these days.  Love the Tedeschi Trucks band.  But I also like any genre when it is done well.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Blues and sort of pretty melodies.  There is a small genre of lap steel guitar gospel music called "sacred steel".  The players in this style play their guitars sort of like people singing, so that it sounds like a leading voice.  I really like that stuff, though I am very far away from being any good at it.

Who are your favourite bands? Albert King, SRV, Tedeschi Trucks, Jerry Douglass Band.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I've always wanted to play, but in my early teenage years I serious injured my left hand, in a way that will keep me from ever playing anything be the simplest of chords with that hand.  Eventually I landed on lap steel slide guitar as an option, since I am able to slide around a slide bar

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No, but one of my main musical goals is to eventually do that

Why do you play guitar? Personal growth, self-expression, and an outlet to make art with others (eventually, I hope)

What are your goals for the future? Get into a group that jams regularly and has fun with it.  Make music I think is beautiful.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App