Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 377556 times)

Offline Rocksteady

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1800 on: September 05, 2018, 12:46:04 pm »
Howdee doodee, folks.

Rocksteady is in the house.  I've been fooling around with guitars for 20 plus years but apart from a few lessons when I set out, I haven't followed any training programme - namely because I have been living in Thailand and Japan since 1992.

So having had fun with you tube lessons on favourite songs and not really getting anywhere as I like so many, it's time now to get serious.  Would be grateful for any help in getting me to my goal of playing live in a pub/bar.

I love blues, jazz, rock and roll, rockabilly and surf guitar.  Not into metal. 
Nickname: Eddy
Real (full) name:
Age and birthday: 58 - 10/3/60
Habitat: Bangsaen, Thailand

Which guitar(s) do you own? Epiphone, PR7E (electric acoustic), Epiphone, Flamekat Ltd ed, Aria pro 2 (a take on a prs), A century telecaster that looks like it came out of the same factory as the squire classic vibes but cost 80 quid brand new, a Brazilian nylon string, a Washburn hand made electric acoustic
E

Which guitar do you currently play on?
All of them

Which amp(s) do you own?
  A fender blues junior in tweed, a Roland cube 30 and a fender can amp.  Will pick up a Boss Katana 50 sometime before the end of the year.

I also use a vox tonelab and a behringer vamp 2

For how long have you been playing guitar?

24 years

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?

jazz, blues, rockabilly and The Stones.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
jazz, The Stones and my own songs

Who are your favorite bands?
The Stones, Santana, Peter Green, Brian Setzer, Bowie
What inspired you to start playing guitar?

Listening to Eric Clapton's Unplugged.  I looked in the classified ads in the Japan Times and bought my first acoustic

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?

No

Why do you play guitar?

I've got the music in me - always have. It keeps me sane in this crazy world we live in.

What are your goals for the future? To join a band or play by myself with backing tracks in a pub/bar

----------

Offline Alex6strings

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #1801 on: September 06, 2018, 06:20:44 pm »
Hi all,  Alex here,  nice to meet you all.   I watched my first of many Justin Vids today and decided to sub.  35 years dedicated to playing and learned a lot from just one vid.  I like the way he plays and teachers and I'm always keen to keep learning.   Selling my soul to the devil only slightly improved my chops.. I guess trusting Lucifer on his word was ambitious. 

Nickname: Alex6strings
Real (full) name: Alexander
Age and birthday: 44 OCTOBER
Habitat: Sydney Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own? Maton EBG808TE,  Maton srs808

Which guitar do you currently play on? any one I have my hands on

Which amp(s) do you own? n/a

How long have you been playing guitar? 35 years

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Fingerstlye  acoustic,  acoustic blues

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? fingerstlye

Who are your favorite bands? bands,  Dire Straits,  Foo's, artists,  Eric Clapton,  Tommy  Emmanuel,John Mayer, etc

What inspired you to start playing guitar? primary school teacher and Tommy Emmanuel

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?Yes when I was about 25 years younger.  Seattle cover band.

Why do you play My life would be empty,  and possibly over if it weren't for the guitar.

What are your goals for the future? first goal is to stay out of rehab for a while, second goal buy more guitars.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:03:45 pm by Alex6strings »
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline k4shf

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1802 on: September 08, 2018, 11:42:43 am »
I made a sort of template out of Lucos' question list.
To use it, just click on the "Quote" button at the top-right of this post, delete the stuff above Nickname:, and then delete the  at the end, and then fill in the areas you choose to answer.

Nickname:
Tim

Real (full) name:
Tim Tapio

Age and birthday:
64  11/14

Habitat:

House

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Squier Bullet (it's a start, what can I say. It can play more than I can
Yamaha FG-800 Acoustic (just got)

Attempting the Squier but will be taking lessons on the acoustic

Which amp(s) do you own?
Fender Mustang GT-200 (more power than I will ever need but liked the features

How long have you been playing guitar?
2 weeks...and plinking on strings isn't playing......yet.

Late 60s rock, CCR, Eagles...not much new stuff. I'm old, the new stuff is just noise.

I don't think plucking on strings is a genre. Just trying to get my fingers moving on the fret board, may need surgery to extend pinky.

CCR, Eagles, Beatles...no particular order. Some of the new solo vocalists. Love Linda Rondstadt.

Looking for something to develop other side of brain, tech geek all my life. Would like to get creative side going, out of character for me and something that is a struggle to learn (as long as I don't give up)

Band of 1

Why do you play guitar?
Hoping to be able to relax, do something that sounds good to me...a very long ways to go. Still working finger exercises, not putting in enough time yet....it will come. When I can do like "Tina S" on YouTube, I'll know I can play...but hopefully with more emotion than she has.

What are your goals for the future?
Stick with it, play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, Jingle Bells....get fingers coordinated enough to play chords and make quick changes. Got basic book of Eagles and Johnny Cash, stream without guitar track, want to get to point I can play along with some of them. Hung up on "House of Rising Sun", can't believe how fast Alan Price was on keyboard and the guy on lead guitar was strumming faster than my hand moves....

I gave up alcohol over 20 years ago.....hardest thing I have ever done.....still dream about it. Figure guitar should be piece of cake in comparison....check back in 6 months, see if I still think that <smile>

Offline AlexOT

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1803 on: September 08, 2018, 07:24:31 pm »
Hi everyone! And thanks for the ton of info and thanks to Justin for the great lessons

Nickname: AlexOT
Real (full) name:  Alexander
Age and birthday: 37
Habitat: Québec

Torchwood acoustic folk, Squier diy partscaster, Squier mascis jazzmaster

Squier partscaster

Which amp(s) do you own?
Vox AC4 or pedals into a behringer DI

Took some bassguitar lessons 23 years ago, been involved in bands, sound design and production ever since, never as the guitarist! :) I holded, repaired, recorded enough guitars for a lifetime, never felt the need to learn how to play.

No preferences and not much that I can’t enjoy. Grew up on metal, punkrock, a bit of jazz and electronica in all it’s shapes and forms.

Currently mostly playing scales in key over smooth rock backing tracks or blues playlists.

Right now a lot of Mastodon, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nine Inch Nails, John Mayer, Herbie Hancock, Allman Brothers, Neurosis and many many more, favorites I have many.

We sucked at sports and were a bit different in high school, so started a band, never stopped really.

Yes, but not currently! I just moved and don’t know anybody here (yet)

Why do you play guitar?
Fantastic dynamic instrument, I am unemployed and it keeps me from spending money or wasting time on useless things. The other reason is I miss the guitarists I had in my bands and although unreplaceable, I want to keep working with guitars!

Continue studying and practicing a few hours a day, ‘till I make new friends to jam with or become good enough to don’t need friends to jam with!

Offline tashmoo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1804 on: September 11, 2018, 12:08:22 pm »
Nickname: Tashmoo
Real (full) name: seyfullah safa özcan
Age and birthday: 15,03,1986
Habitat: Turkey

fender stratocaster

fender stratocaster

Which amp(s) do you own?
orange micro terror

Since august 2018, 3 weeks old now :)

i love all kinds of music but if i had to pick just 1 it should be rock in general but more on softer side :) like pop punk, alternative rock, classical rock, not really into heavy dark super death metal thing. 

i cant play at the moment :( but learned rhcp's californication solo in last 10 days, i am just practicing it and nirvana -come as you are riff :)
uhm too many.  punk ;blink 182,green day, offspring, sum 41,
                        alternative rock ; cranberries, r.e.m, oasis, rhcp(is rhcp alternative or what genre is it?
                        more classicrock; the eagles, the scorpions, ac/dc, guns and roses, metallica, does santana fit here?
                        some soft pop or folk pop or whatever genre tey are ; json mraz, colbie caillat, gavin degraw, sara bareilles
 god genres are so intertwined.

i just love music so much. but what finally clicked the button is the accoustician(name of the channel)'s hotel california solo on accoustic.
nope
Why do you play guitar?
i love the sound of it, from every genre. you know what makes you listen blues even if you are super strict muslim living in turkey? sound of guitar does that guys.
i am a music fan. i just love everything about music. sometimes i sit and just listen music for hours. i enjoy it a lot. i wanted to step up from just listening.

short term, being able to play basic songs, then hotel california solo
long term, basic improvisation, i just want to play guitar without effort, and chill while playing good melodies on weekends sitting in hte backyard. thats my dream. im not dreaming of becoming a "lick" master or smt , just basic improvisation, simple yet sounding good.
super long term; being able to play what i can "hum".

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline stones

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1805 on: September 14, 2018, 07:13:42 pm »
I made a sort of template out of Lucos' question list.
To use it, just click on the "Quote" button at the top-right of this post, delete the stuff above Nickname:, and then delete the  at the end, and then fill in the areas you choose to answer.

Nickname:Stones
Real (full) name:Jon Liebers
Age and birthday:54
Habitat:ny/nj

Which guitar(s) do you own?martin om28 marquis, Fender California strat, ovation , Guild and baby taylor

Which amp(s) do you own?

Why do you play guitar?

Offline WhiteCoatHermit

• Good Vibes 0
  • Physician by day, musician by night (and v.v.)
« Reply #1806 on: September 16, 2018, 06:38:38 pm »
Hello everyone and a big thank you to Justin for the magnificent site he created. You really changed the way I play!

-----------------------------------

Nickname: WhiteCoatHermit

Real (full) name: Danilo

Age and birthday: 29 - April

Habitat: Palermo, Italy

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender Stratocaster Mexico HSS, LAG Tramontane T66DCE Standard

Which guitar do you currently play on? Mostly on my Strat

Which amp(s) do you own? Hiwatt T20, Acus OneForStrings 5T

How long have you been playing guitar? About 13 years

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Classic rock, blues, funk

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Classic rock and blues

Who are your favorite bands? The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

What inspired you to start playing guitar? A friend of mine, who actually talked me out of playing drums ;D

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? I started a band a few weeks ago and I hope to keep it going!

Why do you play? Because IMO music is one of the highest forms of expression of the human intellect. When I play, I just feel free to express my true self.

What are your goals for the future? Regarding music, I'd like to improve my skills as a musicians and be able to play confidently at gigs and small concerts.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 147
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #1807 on: September 17, 2018, 10:59:34 am »
Welcome WhiteCoatHermit!
Ah Palermo; I always loved Napoli when going there for work (coffee business) and we had our honeymoon in the Calabria region. I guess i would like Palermo as well? :D
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline MrT

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1808 on: September 24, 2018, 02:29:00 pm »
Nickname: MrT
Real (full) name: Tony
Age and birthday: 50 years old (November '67)
Habitat: Melbourne (via Tasmania)

Ibanez GIO GRG121EXSM

Ibanez GIO GRG121EXSM

Which amp(s) do you own?
Vox Pathfinder 10A

Since September 22, 2018 (3 days  :)  )

Rock mainly, also some folk/country artists such as Paul Kelly, John Moreland.

Attempting to pick out chords...

Queen, Coldplay, Cold Chisel, Pink Floyd, Midnight Oil, Dire Straits, Crowded House, R.E.M., Mumford & Sons, Also, individual artists: Paul Kelly, Bruce, Billy Joel (wrong instrument!), Elton John, John Moreland, Jimmy Webb, Paul Simon, Sam Smith,

After 50 years of not playing an instrument, I thought I should give it a go and stop just listening. Wanted to develop some new skills, and challenge myself to do something I haven't before.

Probably not.

Why do you play guitar?
Seems to be a very versatile instrument that I should be able to eventually play the sort of music I like to listen to, and doesn't need to be part of a band/orchestra.

Just to be able to play something that is clearly recognisable as a song that other people know!

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #1809 on: September 24, 2018, 02:30:39 pm »
A big welcome to all the recent new members. Thanks for the introductions and I know you will enjoy being a part of this awesome community. Have fun learning and playing!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Michae1

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1810 on: September 26, 2018, 12:41:47 am »
Nickname:  Michae1

Real (full) name:  Michael  aka: Hey you!

Age and birthday:  Celebrating the 33rd anniversary of my 20th birthday.  June.

Habitat:  Northern Virginia

Which guitar(s) do you own?  None.  I use my sons' guitar.  Pyle Acoustic-Electric Guitar PGAKT40 SB.  It is an Amazon special, but took it in to a shop and had them tweak it so it sounds acceptable.

Which guitar do you currently play on?  Pyle Acoustic-Electric Guitar PGAKT40 SB

Which amp(s) do you own?  None

How long have you been playing guitar?  Fours days.  But I practiced piano for almost three years.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?  Contemporary Christian, Classical, Classic Rock, Elevator Musac.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?  None at the moment.  Played some classical and movie themes on piano.  Looking to learn some relaxing oldie type songs for guitar.

Who are your favorite bands?  Aerosmith, Eagles, Tom Petty, Neal Diamond, MercyMe, etc...

What inspired you to start playing guitar?  The band at my church, plus you cannot carry a piano around as easily as a guitar.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?  No band experience, but I used to do recitals.

Why do you play guitar?  To relax.  Piano is hard and maybe I will do better at guitar.  We will see.

What are your goals for the future?  Right now I really just want to finish these guitar lessons and see how far I can go.  I would eventually like to be able to help out my church band.  If guitar does not work out, I may just try the Cello.  :)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #1811 on: September 26, 2018, 12:45:28 am »
Big welcome to all newbies. Been a awhile since I trawled this thread but encouraging to see lots of "old" folk stepping on this true and trusted path.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Kyoshi8

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1812 on: September 27, 2018, 04:53:13 pm »
Harpmaker and I found it a good idea to make a topic where you can introduce yourself so we all know who we're talking to! :D

So I made a simple questionlist for everyone to answer if they like to! :D

So here it is (with my answers):

Nickname: Kyoshi8
Real (full) name: Jeff Walters
Age and birthday: 52 12-14
Habitat: USA

Which guitar(s) do you own? BC

Ibanez GSA60 sb

Which amp(s) do you own?
Same

7 weeks

Rock, metal, blues.

Rock, metal, blues

Machinehead, Devin Townsend, Van Halen
Always wanted to.

No.

Why do you play guitar?
I love it.

To be the best player I can, maybe play on stage one day

Offline marlasky

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1813 on: September 27, 2018, 10:44:16 pm »
Nickname: marlasky
Real (full) name: i prefer anonimity  :P
Age and birthday: slowly getting older
Habitat: belgium

Rickenbacker 660/6, Gibson LP standard, Seagull acoustic, Almansa classical, Eko 12 string acoustic, Fender jazz bass, and finally a broken south-easy asian fender strat clone (my first guitar)

Mostly the electrics and the seagull

Which amp(s) do you own?
fender deluxe reverb reissue, small laney practice amp, fender bxr 100 bass amp

started 25+y ago, but had like 10 years of almost not because of kids...restarted around 5y ago

rock, funk, blues, experimental

no specific genre

too many to name, spanning 80+years of countless genres

a friend at university that had a guitar. I wanted to play too  8)

did a lot of jamming in the first years I played, and 1 concert.
I would love to find musicians to just jam with and see if it clicks musically, but finding it hard to find people willing to do that when you get older

Why do you play guitar?
it's just so much fun. You spend some time and get the gratification of progress

become a better player, learn more theory, make music with other people, in no particular order

Offline PilgrimPod

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1814 on: September 28, 2018, 10:12:31 am »
Hi All, really pleased to have found this place and though early days I'm enjoying the journey despite my frustrations.  :)

Nickname: PilgrimPod
Real (full) name: Craig Podmore
Age and birthday: 38 years old (12-04-80)
Habitat: Tamworth, Staffordshire, England

Fender CD-60S

Fender CD-60S

Which amp(s) do you own?
N/A

Purchased my guitar on Saturday 25th September 2018  :D

Rock with a heavy leaning towards 80s bands with big hair and leather and lace! I'm not sure if that says more about my taste in women than music?

I would like to learn how to play a few of my favourite songs which are predominantly rock based.

In no particular order Led Zeppelin, CCR, Queen, Guns N' Roses, Stereophonics, Kings of leon... You get the idea.

My partner. She's constantly looking to improve and better herself; she's very academic. Whilst I on the other hand bum around from one hobby to another never achieving anything. I can't sing, I can't dance and I probably have no rhythm but I do love music and have always wanted to learn how to play an instrument but have never had the conviction to do so, until now.

No.

Why do you play guitar?
To learn a new skill and hopefully be able to play a few of my favourite songs given time.

When I was 18 I lived with a mate who was in a band and encouraged by him I bought a cheap electric guitar and amp but gave up after only two weeks. I sold the guitar to get beer money for a holiday in Tenerife; I could have been the next Jimmy Page by now had I decided to stick it out...  :D So hopefully this time I wont give up and given time and perseverance I'll learn how to play a few tunes.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App