Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 382639 times)

Offline MichaelJD

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1770 on: July 18, 2018, 05:49:57 am »
Hello people, I also new to this guitar music forum.

Hope to meet and interact with many people

Offline me-strings

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1771 on: July 20, 2018, 03:08:25 pm »
Nickname: Me-strings

Real (full) name: Patricia

Age and birthday: 48

Habitat: Belgium

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Takamine G-series (electro-acoustic)
Richwood (electric)
Motion (acoustic, metal strings)

Which guitar do you currently play on?
Takamine

Which amp(s) do you own?
none (yet)

How long have you been playing guitar?
Started to learn 1,5 year ago and gave up after a few weeks. Willing to try, learn en to master this time  :P

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
varies a lot, like a lot of genres, none particular, as long as it touches me one way or another. Sometimes its the music, sometimes the singer's voice, sometimes the guitarplay, sometimes the lyrics...

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
still have to find out what my favorite is going to be

Who are your favorite bands?
Have no favorite bands, I prefer favorite songs. My MP3 is a mix of many things

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
I just love the sound of an acoustic guitar, it touches me so deeply, especially picking, like in Hotel California, dust in the wind,... Music can make me cry :-)

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
not yet, but who knows, also a great singer, :P so...

Why do you play guitar?
Loving the sound, mastering patience, lol, the fun, the challenge, further see all the above.

What are your goals for the future?
Having a great and loving relationship with my guitar(s). Bringing the best out of eachother

Offline WalrusCandyman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Hey, I managed to learn the F chord...
« Reply #1772 on: July 21, 2018, 04:42:21 am »
Nickname: Harpmaker
Real (full) name: I'm not famous so it doesn't matter. :)
Age and birthday: 51
Habitat: Central Pennsylvania, US of A

Seagull S6+GT (steel string acoustic)
Yamaha Pacifica 112 (electric strat clone)

Seagull S6+GT. Haven't received the Yamaha yet.

Which amp(s) do you own?
None yet. For the time being, I can run the electric through my Zoom MRS-4 digital recorder and use headphones.

I've tried to learn to play on my own for about a year. It's only been in the last 4-6 weeks, since I discovered Justin's YouTube videos, that I've gotten anywhere!

I like pretty much everything except rap. I intend on focusing on fingerstyle, but I have to learn to walk before I can run.

Would Justin's One-Minute-Changes count as a genre? :)

Honestly, I go by individual songs. The songlist on my MP3 player is the strangest thing you ever saw! :)

The movie Crossroads and the solo guitar version of Classical Gas

Nope.

Why do you play guitar?
For my own enjoyment, other people within ear-shot can suffer. :)

To be able to do the Finger-Gym as well as Justin!
Nickname: Bizz

Habitat: Eastern North Carolina.

Guitars I own: Squire Affinity Tele (w/Fender pickups added), Fender FA-100.

Which do I play? Both.
Sometimes I play the fool.  ;D

Which amps do you own?
Heh.  Here I am lacking...just a Fender Mini Twin.

How long have you played?
Well, I have tried and gave up so many times that I try not to think about it.  But thanks to a very special lady I have quit smoking, stopped sniffing meth, and reduced my all around drug intake by about 95%.  And you would be surprised how much scratch you save when you aren't buying cigarettes and speed.
Figured, what the hell.
Picked up the Tele first, around the first of the year, then then the roundhole, then started making upgrades to the Tele.
Thought I would learn to play her a song.
I am making progress faster, and easier than ever before.
A wonderful lady, and of course Justin is all you need.

(So I also picked up a uke, a harmonica, and an autoharp, because...
Because...
Because  I still need to work on impulse control.)

Which are your favorite genes?  Well, in my eye, genre is an unfortunate confine invented for some reason.
I think the biggest disservice a person can do to themselves is cling too tightly to genre. (This coming from a guy who at one time could out-snort Charlie Sheen at Stephen King's birthday party at Studio 64.)
I listen to anything once.
And listen again if I like it.

What genre do I play most?
I am just on my second or third baby step still, so keep it quite simple.  I really enjoy finally being able to play the early rock and roll I first loved as a lad when I found my old man's records. 
Buddy Holly is a lot of fun.
(Thanks again, Justin. )

While I still try and avoid this kind of thinking, this time it is less for any ideological reason and more that I have too many to cover. 
I love those nights when the action dies down and even the party animals have gone to bed, and you sit out in the yard (once with a few packs of smokes) and just talk about the xx--xx you love with whoever else is up.  Long directionless conversation that covers everything from Dimebag, to Chopin, to Dimebag, to ABBA. 
(That being said, I do have one favorite.  One at the top.  The one band who has carried me since third grade through everything else (even that brief period in high school that crossed the yard of Kid Rock).  I may reflect on the scope of their careers, consider the sociological impact they had on the world, or even visit the things that inspired them, but...in my heart of hearts, I am one of those squealing teenage girls swooning over the Beatles.)

What inspired you to start playing?
Well, I heard it was the best way to really improve your skill with air guitar.
But really it's just the feeling that even the simplest chord change can have such a deep impact on me.  It's incredible.

Do you play in a band?
I won't even play with my cat in the room yet. 

Why do you play guitar?
It's all about those magic changes, man.

What are my goals?
I would really love to open for Hendrix. 
Okay, sorry.
Right now, build up more finger strength.  Be able to move pinky.

(Also, Harpmaker...
Classical Gas...
YES!  It's a favorite. That moment after the brass fades back in and Williams lays back in to the riff with just a little more emphasis.  It's just so good!  Like the start of the third verse in Beatles' Baby's in Black...where the double tracking and McCartney's harmony drop off just for then lyric "she thinks of him" with Lennon leaning into it just a little harder...THAT is what I love.)

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline jasons

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1773 on: July 23, 2018, 01:34:14 am »
Nickname: Jas
Real (full) name: Jason Sinclair
Age and birthday: 43 - 12/08/74
Habitat: Brisbane Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own? Admira Irene (classical) and Sigma DMC-1STE

Which guitar do you currently play on? Both above

Which amp(s) do you own? None at the moment. Have used Fender Acoustasonic 15 and Fender Bassbreaker 18/30.

How long have you been playing guitar? 2 months (started classical 18 months ago but stopped after 3 months due to work)

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? 80's glam metal, aussie rock, blues, jazz, classical, country......

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Classical, blues, pop, rock, country

Who are your favorite bands? Many and varied. More about whether I like a song or not than the band....

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Richie Sambora, Joe Satriani, others....

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Not yet - is on my list.....

Why do you play guitar? Played music as a kid, took up guitar as it was portable and versatile in terms of things to play. Mainly took it up because I love music and want to write songs.....

What are your goals for the future? Song writing.

Offline sixsrtung

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1774 on: July 28, 2018, 02:06:30 am »

Nickname: Sixsrtung(typo from years back, I am terrible on keyboards of all sorts)
Real (full) name: Toddo
Age and birthday: 47 years young
Habitat: Canada/Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own? Seagul Entourage, Greg Bennett 6 string acoustic (favourite), Takamine 12 string, Taylor big baby, Yamaha fd120, Kay archtop (very old), MIM Fender stratocaster, Fender stratocaster Squire affinity( In pieces being moded), Artist Lp (Chibson, terrific guitar (220$AUD), Warwick Rockbass, Fender Jazz bass( American standard), Cort Acoustic bass.

Which guitar do you currently play on? MIM Fender, Jazz Bass, Yamaha Fd120

Which amp(s) do you own? Roland modelling amp (very heavy, very loud), Ampeg cab and head ( for bass), Behringer acoustic amp.

How long have you been playing guitar? 20 years

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Blues rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Classic rock covers

Who are your favorite bands? All of them, influences should come from everywhere

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Randy Rhoades and Stevie Ray Vaughan R.I.P

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Play bass guitar in a band , sorting out a solo show now with guests

Why do you play guitar? Love original songs and  singing

What are your goals for the future? Keep thumping the low end in the band(very fun) and Establish a three set solo show, Improve blues skills to attend more open jam sessions in my area
[/quote]

Offline Shalo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1775 on: July 29, 2018, 10:28:02 pm »
Nickname: Shalo
Age and birthday: 16  22/1/2002
Habitat: Portugal (That one country people keep mistaking for Spain)

Which guitar(s) do you own? A steel-stringed accoustic by a brand called Aria. I don't know how to be more specific.

Which guitar do you currently play on? Read above.

Which amp(s) do you own? Maybe one day I'll have a guitar to use an amp on.

How long have you been playing guitar? 5 months.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock (Expecially Progressive Rock, blues rock and psychedelic rock) , most heavy metal subgenres and blues.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Rock

Who are your favorite bands? Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, Anthrax, Girlschool and many others I'll keep out to keep it short.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? My older brother and listening to Kelly Johnson (the former guitarist from a band called Girlschool).

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No.

Why do you play guitar? Because it's great fun to play tunes from some of your favourite bands.

What are your goals for the future? To get to the point where I can play my first David Gilmore solo and strum some of my favourite songs like Trains by Porcupine Tree.

Offline nova_asgard

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1776 on: August 05, 2018, 08:32:21 pm »
  • Nickname: nova_asgard
  • Age and birthday: 33 years
  • Habitat: Spain

Yamaha Pacifica 112VMX

That one!

Which amp(s) do you own?
Roland Micro cube

Played Spanish guitar for a few years when I was a teen, then tried to pick out electric in my late 20's, but didn't stick to it. Now –in my mid 30's– I feel it's the time!

Rock and metal

I'm just a few stages into the beginners course

Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park, Alice Cooper, Nightwish, Saurom

Back in the day, I had some friends at school who were taking lessons, so I signed up too, and I had a blast.

I wish!

Why do you play guitar?
It's a nice hobby, very different to what I do for a living. It also feels good to play music!

My current goal is to finish the Beginners Course. After that, we'll see what looks like the best path. Eventually I would like to be able to play rock & metal tunes.

Offline Dubwolf

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1777 on: August 08, 2018, 03:48:51 pm »
Good afternoon

Nickname:Dubwolf
Real (full) name: Lovro
Age and birthday:24, 16.07.1994

Habitat: Croatia

Les Paul LP-100

Les Paul LP-100

Which amp(s) do you own?
Marshall MG10CF

For one year

Heavy metal,Rock

Mostly rock

Sabaton,Nightwish,AC/DC,Accept,Powerwolf and many more

Honestly,i need relaxment from work

no experience currently

Why do you play guitar?
To keep my mind occupied from work and to relax

Probably to join in some bend and have fun

Offline Nickoli

• Good Vibes 0
First Post -- Glad to be here!
« Reply #1778 on: August 09, 2018, 03:00:16 am »
Nickname: Nick, or Nickoli back in High School
Real (full) name: Nicholas
Age and birthday: 30, May 20th
Habitat: Florida/Colorado -- Florida currently

I started my journey with the Jasmine S34C, and have recently picked up a 1998-99 Squier Stagemaster on craigslist that I'm enjoying thoroughly.

I try to grab them both equally honestly. Currently trying to do my formal practices with the acoustic because I'm still doing changes with F and its harder to get all strings to ring clearly, aka more progress to be had.

Which amp(s) do you own?
My dad had a Fender Frontman 15R collecting dust and no guitar to play it with, so I snagged it for now. Perfect for my needs.

Since November 2017. I started Justin's course in December, and have been steadily plucking away. I had two or three other attempts at the guitar throughout my life, but they all ended the same way--selling the guitar and moving on. This time it stuck.

Classic rock, blues, classic metal, funk, R&B, hip hop, jazz, classical etc etc etc. Very broad.

I have just been approaching the songs that Justin has in his beginner course, but have really zeroed in on Walk of Life, Wish You Were Here, Folsom Prison Blues, Lay Down Sally, Take it Easy, etc...so I guess you could say classic rock/blues.

Pink Floyd, Rush, Tool, Iron Maiden. Many many others, but I could listen to those all day long.

I was a decent trumpet player growing up, and then put it down for about 15 years. Last year I tried to pick it up again and was disappointed at my progress because I had been so proficient in the past. Then I moved back to Florida and had to be in an apartment for 8 months so all trumpet playing went out the window. My desire to make music was still there, so I convinced the better half it was a good idea to buy an acoustic guitar and give it a thorough try!

Negative. I would love to jam with a few of my old friends soon though. Or maybe play on a street corner somewhere.

Why do you play guitar?
I have a burning desire to create things. Music being one of them. I play because it makes me feel good, and is a complex puzzle worth learning.

Basically just to progress at a comfortable rate until I die. I always want to be learning. Most of my friends throughout my life that play guitar have almost zero knowledge of music theory, and having been classically trained on the trumpet that always seemed like such a handicap to me--My goal is to learn music theory as it applies to the guitar, and allow my playing to benefit greatly. Another goal I have is to be more active on this forum, and to record/post myself playing. The internet allows us all to connect with each other in a way that almost seems unreal, and I need to utilize it more often!

All I can say is, I wish I would've found Justin's method the last two times I attempted to pick up the guitar. This has been a wonderful 8 months of learning, and I can't wait to keep it rolling! I'm basically just trying to get a few more changes up to 60 per minute, and then I'll be starting the Intermediate Course.

Offline rabyrab

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1779 on: August 12, 2018, 05:16:53 pm »
Nickname: Rabyab
Real (full) name: Donald Sutherland
Age and birthday: 56
Habitat:

Which guitar(s) do you own? Faith neptune/ PSR

Which guitar do you currently play on? PSR

Which amp(s) do you own? BLACKSTAR

How long have you been playing guitar? Still trying to learn

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? rock/folk

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? rock

Who are your favorite bands? beatles, bowie,dylan,

What inspired you to start playing guitar? love of music

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? no

Why do you play guitar? enjoyment

What are your goals for the future? To final learn to play guitar due to arthritis and frustration it has been a stop start process over the years

Offline Revernd Rhythm

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1780 on: August 12, 2018, 06:17:25 pm »
Nickname: Revernd Rhythm
Real (full) name: (yeah, let's not do that)
Age and birthday: 40 years old ( or that, either )
Habitat: New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Fender Squier Strat
Fender San Miguel Acoustic

San Miguel

Which amp(s) do you own?

10 Watt Marshall practice amp
Mid-Seventies Sunn A212

For how long have you been playing guitar?
First started at around 14. Piddled for a few years, including a stint in a playing band, but never committed to actually getting good at the thing.  Put it down at about twenty, only picked it up a handful of times since.  Back here to start over and maybe learn something.  :)

Classic Rock. Sixties and seventies, mostly. Some alternative Rock. I'm open minded, though and have music from a lot of genres in my collection.

Rock, back in the day.  That'll probably remain as the main focus for now

The Beatles, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin

I just loved music.  Wanted to be able to make it.

I did a long time ago, but we were just a small local thing, and I wouldn't call us well known.  Played a few shows, recorded a few records that we sold at those shows and at school.  Pre-internet, so that was how we could do it.  All recorded on 4 track tapes!

Why do you play guitar?
I just want to be able to make some music. And my biggest regret is not having kept up with it or having learned it properly.

Be a better a guitarist than I was when I was in the band.  I also want to build my next electric guitar and tune up the old tube amp...I never got a proper chance to use it.  Anything more than that is a bonus.

Offline TheBraveSirRobin

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1781 on: August 13, 2018, 09:05:01 am »
Nickname: TheBraveSirRobin
Real (full) name: Sean
Age and birthday: 52 years old ( nearly 53 )
Habitat: Robin Hood county, England

Fender Squier Affinity Strat

Fender Squier Affinity Strat

Which amp(s) do you own?
Fender Mustang I V2

For how long have you been playing guitar?
3 weeks

Classic Rock,  Blues, Metal (but not metal with screechy or grunty vocals).

I wish I was good enough to play any genre. Hoping to get good enough to play some classic rock. 

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Therion, Sanctuary/Nevermore, Volbeat, Rammstein to name a few.

Always loved music and I'm having a mid-life crisis ;-)

No

Why do you play guitar?
Just want to enjoy myself playing along to my favourite songs.

To be able to play along to my favourite songs.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #1782 on: August 13, 2018, 01:22:32 pm »
Welcome to the newest members of the forum. Enjoy your time here and have fun learning and playing.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #1783 on: August 13, 2018, 04:08:53 pm »
Nickname: TheBraveSirRobin
Welcome ... and surely a Monty Python fan as well ... all good.

There's an idea ... a Monty Python song contest :)

Offline TheBraveSirRobin

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1784 on: August 17, 2018, 10:05:00 am »
Ya got me. Big Monty Python fan. Good job I'm not a superhero 'cos my kryptonite would be for the bad guys to put on Holy Grail's Brave Sir Robin scenes or Life of Brian's Biggus Dickus scene and I'd be helpless with laughter.

I wouldn't mind playing some of Eric Idles's songs eventually.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App