Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 346785 times)

Offline skypeace

• Good Vibes 0
    • The Prayer of the Day
Hi, from Connecticut.
« Reply #1755 on: June 28, 2018, 05:23:03 am »
Greetings from a beginner that is trying desperately to learn guitar and keyboard along with musical theory. 

Discovered justinguitar.com recently and I am kicking the tires and taking her for a spin.  So far, so good.

Offline Johno1979uk

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1756 on: June 29, 2018, 01:02:21 pm »

Nickname: Johno
Age and birthday: 39
Habitat: South east England

Which guitar(s) do you own?

Yamaha FG800

Which guitar do you currently play on?
Yamaha FG800

Which amp(s) do you own?
None.......yet

For how long have you been playing guitar?
since 27th of June 2018......3 whole days!!!

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
All different kinds. Foo fighters but the list is endless.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
A bad D chord so far.

Who are your favorite bands?
Foo fighters, Kings of leon, stereophonics. Endless list.

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
I have always loved the sound of the acoustic guitar. Always loved unplugged stuff. My neighbour plays the guitar and I thought I would love to play so I am now taking the plunge.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
No. A bit of jamming in the garden will be my lot.

Why do you play guitar?
I have always wanted to.

What are your goals for the future?
To be able to play along to songs and sing to myself in the garden at BBQ's. For my own pleasure pretty much.

Offline Berganator

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1757 on: July 02, 2018, 12:16:17 pm »
Nickname: Berganator
Age and birthday: 41 and a half
Habitat: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own? Cort Z42, Squier Classic Vibe, Martinez BT1D, a couple of homemade electrics

Which guitar do you currently play on? Squier

Which amp(s) do you own? Fender Champion 20, VOX AP2-AC through a BOSS SD1 and the kids IPOD speaker (It does actually sound OK)

How long have you been playing guitar? 4 years

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Lots, as long as I can bop along to it, I like it

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Trying to play Blues but it comes out as rock

Who are your favorite bands? Gasolin', Shu-Bi-Dua, Sort Sol, Volbeat, Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, Chris Rea, U2, Bruce Springsteeen, ABBA, Grateful Dead 

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I wanted to build a resonator guitar and a mate gave me his $30 ALDI acoustic to use. I started playing it instead...Never did build a resonator guitar

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No

Why do you play guitar? To wind down, get people up at parties, fun, want to learn music theory along with the guitar

What are your goals for the future? To be skillful enough to take my guitar and singing voice on stage and be confident in doing so

Offline guitarninja

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1758 on: July 03, 2018, 06:43:20 am »
Nickname: guitarninja
Real (full) name: Todd
Age and birthday: 44
Habitat: Pennsylvania, USA

Which guitar(s) do you own?: Epiphone G400 Pro

Which guitar do you currently play on? Same

Which amp(s) do you own? Vox VXII

How long have you been playing guitar? 0

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock, Blues, Metal

Who are your favorite bands? Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Green Day, Ramones, Eric Clapton

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Life long interest that I never really pursued until now

Why do you play guitar? enjoyment

What are your goals for the future? My primary goal is simply to gain proficiency for my own personal enjoyment. My daughter may be interested too, so it would be a fun thing for us to do together.

I'm interested in hearing from people who used this site to learn guitar with zero prior knowledge. What was your experience? How well did the program work for you?

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #1759 on: July 03, 2018, 10:42:09 am »
I'm interested in hearing from people who used this site to learn guitar with zero prior knowledge. What was your experience? How well did the program work for you?
There are many who had no previous know how who have really done well, from someone who did play (badly) before I  can assure you 100% that if you follow the Beginners course religiously you will soon be playing recognisable songs and the further you continue the more intricate additions you will be able to add to the basics. It’s not easy and you have to be serious and dedicated to learning but it works and works really well!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 374
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1760 on: July 03, 2018, 12:51:49 pm »
Welcome all new forum members

:)

@ guitarninja

Darrell is spot on and there are many JustinGuitar success stories - some in old stand-alone threads deep down in the forum pages, some are in dedicated threads … one or two of which have been made sticky so they're at the top and easy to find.

re: learning with the JG method - in short … it works for many, many people.

:)

Offline guitarninja

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1761 on: July 03, 2018, 10:10:51 pm »
There are many who had no previous know how who have really done well, from someone who did play (badly) before I  can assure you 100% that if you follow the Beginners course religiously you will soon be playing recognisable songs and the further you continue the more intricate additions you will be able to add to the basics. It’s not easy and you have to be serious and dedicated to learning but it works and works really well!
Thank you!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rufusragatip

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1762 on: July 04, 2018, 04:39:18 pm »
Nickname: Rufusragatip/Rufus/Ruf
Real (full) name: Mark
Age and birthday: 1961
Habitat: Gloucestershire

Which guitar(s) do you own? Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Which guitar do you currently play on? Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Which amp(s) do you own? Marshall MG10CF

How long have you been playing guitar? 4 weeks

Which is/are your favourite music genre(s)? Big Band (Glenn Miller) through to popular music and most things in between (exceptions being Punk Rock and Katie Price)

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? 'Turnthatampdown'  ;D

Who are your favourite bands? Animal Nightlife, Prince, Glenn Miller, U2, The Shadows, Bob Marley, Roy Orbison, Pink Ffloyd, Brand X, Kevin Wilson, Pentatonix  ::) ;)

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No, but I have been on the stage at The Albert Hall,.............. sweeping it. ;D

Why do you play guitar? To save my sanity from having to sit and endure Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Eastenders with the wife - and I wish to accomplish something worthwhile for myself before I become fertilizer for Daffodils.

What are your goals for the future? To avoid becoming fertilizer for Daffodils anytime soon, and to master Cavatina and Duelling Banjos without any mistakes.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:08:25 pm by Rufusragatip »
'Play with it like it owes you money'

Danelectro 63
Vintage Modified Jaguar
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Gold Top

Offline Countryfan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1763 on: July 06, 2018, 06:03:41 pm »
Nickname: None
Age and birthday: 47
Habitat: South east England

Simon and Patrick Woodland Spruce Pro

The S&P

Which amp(s) do you own? None.

For how long have you been playing guitar? Couple of months

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? I’m really getting into country
But it also a pretty mix of stuff....Blues, rock,metal

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? 5 chords a couple of scales. And some tunes that i murder

Who are your favorite bands? Hootie and the blowfish, Chris Stapleton, Ashley McBryde, Lady Antebellum, RHCP, Pearl Jam, Eric Clapton, Paul Weller so many more

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Always something I’ve wanted

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Hell no doors closed curtains shut

Why do you play guitar? It’s fun. But it means I can focus on one thing and everything just fades away

What are your goals for the future? Just to play. Get better, and not to have the cat run and hide

Offline cirrostratus

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1764 on: July 07, 2018, 03:38:26 pm »
Thanks Justin!

Nickname: cirrostratus
Real (full) name: Dan Scott
Age and birthday: 57
Habitat: Central Texas, USA

Which guitar(s) do you own? Jasmine S34C w/ Elixir Polyweb strings.

Which guitar do you currently play on? Jasmine S34C.

Which amp(s) do you own?

How long have you been playing guitar? Noob.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Classical, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Pop, Folk.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Chords.

Who are your favorite bands? Too many to list.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Desire to understand music. Trying to figure out why I like some types of music more than others. The challenge of acquiring a new skill. Ego.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No.

Why do you play guitar? Was much cheaper than a piano.

What are your goals for the future? Better understanding of the mechanics of music. Successfully play, "Twinkle, Twinkle..." Acquire ability to pick up hot babes at future nursing home (don't tell my wife).

Offline Sc0rn3d

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1765 on: July 07, 2018, 08:28:25 pm »
Nickname: None
Age and birthday: 30ish (next week)
Habitat: Central USA (essentially middle of nowhere)

Squier Classic Vibe 50s and Ibanez GIO

Which guitar(s) do you currently play on?
Squier Classic Vibe 50s and Ibanez GIO

Which amp(s) do you own?
Blackstar ID BEAM 20w

For about 6 months(just messing around with it) about 15 years ago and more recently for roughly 3 months(of real practice)

Almost everything...Rock, Metal, Very little Pop, Blues, Very little Country. I will listen to anything with talent pretty much.

Whatever Justin tells me. Mostly rock but I'm very interested in playing proper blues.

I could go all day from Linkin Park to Led Zepplin to Journey and Bryan Adams.

Found Justin's website. Made it so easy to pick it back up again because last time I was learning from the KISS(keep it simple, stupid) guitar book(I think that was the name).

Nope. I don't plan to either but I also will practice as if I will.

Why do you play guitar?
Because it's cool.

Just playing songs and recording for myself and practice. Mostly show off to friends how awesome I am.

Biggest current enemy?
G7 to C7

Would be awesome to meet?
Eric Clapton, Steve Vai, and Bryan Adams (there are much more but these are the ones that really changed my idea of "real music" ). Also, I want to include David Draiman (Disturbed) for pure vocal talent. John Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls) for pure performance ability and vocals ability. I don't know how I forgot him.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:18:04 am by Sc0rn3d »

Offline RhythmPeanut

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1766 on: July 08, 2018, 05:11:44 pm »
Nickname: RhythmPeanut
Habitat: Seattle, WA

Schecter C-6 Elite

Schecter C-6 Elite

Which amp(s) do you own?
Fender Champion 20

About one month

Alt-rock, hard rock, punk, metal, and more!

I'm learning various styles of rock, but mostly focusing on fundamentals right now.

Rise Against, Paramore, Lesley Roy, Van Canto, Icon For Hire, Evanescence, Pentatonix, and many others.

I've always wanted to be something more than just another office worker, and looking at the big-name bands having fun and rocking out on stage finally gave me the push I needed to pick up a guitar of my own and start making music.

Not currently, but I'm very interested in joining or forming a band and playing gigs when my skills are up to snuff.

Why do you play guitar?
Because it's fun, and because there's a deep connection you can make with music and your fellow performers that just doesn't happen with normal jobs.

I want to develop my skills and become a competent player, then join or form a group and start playing gigs. My shoot-for-the-stars goal is to be able to retire from my current field and make a living as a professional musician.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #1767 on: July 08, 2018, 05:24:42 pm »
A big welcome to all the newbies who joined recently.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline bubblesort

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1768 on: July 12, 2018, 07:35:03 am »
Nickname: bubblesort
Real (full) name: Mike
Age and birthday: 39, Aug 18
Habitat: Pennsylvania, USA

Which guitar(s) do you own?: Westone Electra Dynasty XV3GR, and my classical guitar is a Yamaha G-180

Which guitar do you currently play on? both

Which amp(s) do you own? It says Rock Town on it.  It's been kicked in and beat up.  I don't know the model or anything.  It's punk rock or something, LOL

How long have you been playing guitar? Less than a week

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Everything.  Blues, Metal, Classical, Jazz, Country, Chiptunes, Folk, Filk, Parodies... I'll probably write some parodies while I'm learning.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?  Chords.  I drill chords.

Who are your favorite bands? Howling Wolf, Yngwie Malmstein, Leslie Fish, Queen, The Protomen, Buddy Guy, random weird stuff on mad music podcasts and Phil Milstein's Probe web site.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I had the guitars laying around since middle school, so I finally picked them up and decided to make some noise with them.

Why do you play guitar? fun

Next fourth of July, I want to busk on the beach.  Or at least play on the beach (IDK what the permit situation is like for busking).  I'd also love to be able to jam with people at MAG Fest.

So far the course is good.  I'm just drilling 3 chords, and I'm ok with that.  I don't follow the recommended practice routine.  My practice regimen is 10 minutes drilling on each chord change, on electric and then on acoustic.  With the first 3 chords, that's 60 minutes of drilling.  After I drill a chord change for 10 minutes I take a break for 20 minutes and do other things, because my finger tips can't handle much more than 10 minutes at a time right now.  I"m getting better, though... might go up to 15 minutes soon.  Anyway, after I do that, I transcribe a song from my head.  Yesterday I did red river valley, because it's a lullaby my dad used to sing me on this guitar, and I miss him (my Yamaha acoustic used to be his).  Today I did the French national anthem, because France is in the world cup finals.  It's just finger picking individual notes for super simple tunes, but I think it will probably help train my ear, and it's a fun exercise to keep my fingers on the strings.  Then I practice finger picking the strings with my right hand while watching a tv show for 30 minutes or so.

I'm not totally new to music.  When I was a kid, my parents made me take 11 years of classical piano training.  I didn't like it much, but I know enough theory that it changed how I listen to music.  I didn't retain enough to know how to turn my single note transcriptions into chords yet or anything like that (I don't know where the notes are on the neck yet), but I dig theory and technique.

Offline sirensong

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1769 on: July 17, 2018, 07:11:22 am »
Hi All!  I'm Eric.  This might sound a little weird, but I'm learning blues guitar in order to improve my sword technique. 

I practice koryu iaido--classical Japanese swordsmanship--and have always thought that it is somehow related to music (particularly improvisational forms like jazz and blues).  Not sure how I wound up there, but I caught Justin's lesson on the 'language' of the blues: the alphabet/scales, words/licks, and putting them together into phrases that communicate ideas.  All of this resonates strongly with swordsmanship, which involves a few common elements that often combine into recognizable patterns (like riffs), and develop into an improvisational point/counterpoint harmony (if that doesn't sound too wacky).  It isn't Japanese, but this scene touches on the relationship:

So to get at that, I went and picked up a cheapo (but surprisingly decent) $80 Strat copy, and registered here. I used to do drunk college-guy strumming about a million years ago, but never developed any proficiency.  Now I'm working my way through the foundations, with the goal of getting into improvised lead playing.

We'll see how it goes.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App