Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 252964 times)

Offline Gabby84

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1530 on: September 05, 2017, 04:20:50 pm »
Nickname: Gabby
Real (full) name: Gabrielle
Age and birthday: 51
Habitat:  North Shore, Massachusetts, USA

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Greg Bennett Samick st9-1

Which guitar do you currently play on?
see above-the only one I own!

Which amp(s) do you own?
none

For how long have you been playing guitar?
less than one month.  tinkered about with guitar in my teens

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
Alternative/progress, blues, jazz, folk, 70s rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
none, just learning the basics at this point.

Who are your favorite bands?
Soul Coughing, Yes, Dave Matthews, The Smiths, Jethro Tull, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Lightin' Hopkins

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
I'm a painter/sculptor-visual artist.  With that said, music inspires my work.  It is often in the background when I start working on a piece. As a teenager, loved listening to my Dad's albums (Lightin' Hopkins, Muddy Waters, etc. and jazz albums) and loved the Beatles song "Blackbird," as well as many Jackson Brown songs from his early days. 

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
Nope, just want to play without the pressure at this point.

Why do you play guitar?
fun, interested in trying all genres as I gain the basic skills.  I also find the practicing relaxing.

What are your goals for the future?
be skilled enough to write a song or two and play in front of my family.

Offline ntha

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1531 on: September 07, 2017, 01:23:06 pm »
Nickname: ntha
Real (full) name:
Age and birthday: 52
Habitat: Israel

Fender PM-1 Standard
Fender Telecaster Standard MIM
Admira A-5

All of them

Which amp(s) do you own?
Fender Mustang II

How long have you been playing guitar?
A few years.

Rock, Blues.

Gary Moore, Eric Clapton. Actually too many to choose from.

Listening to friends play

No. Maybe some day...

Why do you play guitar?
The sound, the feel. For me it's the best instrument for playing music myself.

Reach a level that allows me to play with other people or in front of other people.

Offline jenniferadjani

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1532 on: September 08, 2017, 05:48:04 pm »
Hello,everyone! I'm Jennifer from Hong Kong. I started to play ukulele (concert size) from 2 July, 2017. I've seen video of Justin in youtube on the topic of learning how to play ukulele & I like his lessons. I've found a book "Justinguitar.com Ukulele Songbook tonight in Tom Lee Music, of course I bought it. 

Offline hilts17

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #1533 on: September 08, 2017, 07:04:12 pm »
Welcome to all the recent additions to the Justin Guitar forum. Whether you're learning guitar or ukulele, enjoy the journey, ask questions, practice, but most of all....HAVE FUN!
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #1534 on: September 08, 2017, 07:17:09 pm »
Hello,everyone! I'm Jennifer from Hong Kong. I started to play ukulele (concert size) from 2 July, 2017. I've seen video of Justin in youtube on the topic of learning how to play ukulele & I like his lessons. I've found a book "Justinguitar.com Ukulele Songbook tonight in Tom Lee Music, of course I bought it. 
Hey Jennifer, my wife is also learning to play a Uke, she's following the on line videos, check them out!
Oh and Welcome to all of the newbies, you've found the right place to learn the skills of playing guitar / Uke!
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline Richard

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1535 on: September 10, 2017, 11:11:51 am »
Hiya.

I first picked up a guitar at age 27, then put at away at age 28 through pure frustration. I picked it up again at age 58 and have to say I don't know what I've been missing all these years!!!! I started taking lessons about 2 years ago and I'm enjoying learning. I came across Justin's website from a youtube video and was thoroughly impressed by his style and the simplicity of his tutorials. I recently purchased the 'Justinguitar.com Blues Licks Vol1 ... and once I figure out how to get my PC to function correctly, am looking forward to more Justin lessons. As far as music goes, I'm largely stuck in the 70's/80's (Dire Straits/Faces/Mott the Hoople/ ELO etc). I have 3 guitars .... MiM Telecaster; PRS Custom 24; and the very first guitar is a Sunn Mustang (Fender strat copy) that's now nearly 35 years old!!!!

Offline JPOHLIC

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1536 on: September 12, 2017, 03:54:16 pm »
Nickname: JPOHLIC
Real (full) name: Kelly
Age and birthday: 46
Habitat: Edmonton AB Canada

Vantage 118DT electric that I’ve had since 1990 but rarely play.
Fender FA-100 6 string acoustic

Mostly the acoustic now

Which amp(s) do you own?
Peavey Rage 108, circa 1990

I tried learning on my own years ago as a teenager but never took lessons and got frustrated. Never could figure out how to tune the Floyd rose after changing strings. That was before the internet and Justin Guitar. Been playing now for about 4 months and thanks to Justin I can finally play a few songs start to finish!!!

Classic rock, Blues, Folk, Bluegrass, Classical, Metal, Reggae, Country, basically everything except pop/rap/hiphop

Classic Rock, Blues, Folk, Country

Neil Young, CCR, The Tragically Hip, George Thorogood, Willie Nelson, Chris Cornell, The Clash, Pink Floyd, Dropkick Murphys, Great Big Sea, Janis Joplin, Joe Bonamassa, Metallica (the old stuff),  The Offspring, Paul Simon, Robert Earl Keen, Todd Snider, The Watchmen, and many more

Was at a friends place sitting at his drum set, listening to him on guitar thinking to myself, “What if I had taken some lessons all those years ago?” Better late than never…

I played trumpet in a jazz band in school, was also in a marching band

Why do you play guitar?
It’s a form of meditation for me

I’d like to be able to play a bunch of songs around a campfire someday.

Offline azkenreid

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1537 on: September 13, 2017, 02:53:23 am »
Nickname: Never had one
Real (full) name: Ken
Age and birthday: 57
Habitat: Arizona, USA

Dean Acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Alvarez Classical
Gretsch G2420 Streamliner

Mostly the Gretsch

Which amp(s) do you own?
Fender Pro Junior
Line 6 Spider III 75W

40 years

Jazz

Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Jeff Beck

Started in high school

Yes

Why do you play guitar?
My primary instrument is trumpet, but I no longer play trumpet casually, I can play guitar casually

Finally time (and perhaps too late) to learn to comp competently

Offline ambo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1538 on: September 15, 2017, 01:24:23 pm »

Nickname:
Real (full) name:John
Age and birthday:63  Born 1954
Habitat: Liverpool, England, UK

Yamaha F370 (steel stringed acoustic)
As above
Which amp(s) do you own?
None
14 days
Willing to listen to most. apart from Punk and Rap (and similar)
Just learning
Beatles, obviously, but really don't follow anyone in particular
Needed another hobby, so decided to do something about life long regret and learn to play an instrument.
No
Why do you play guitar?

Re playing guitar? To be able to knock out a tune or two, even if it is only to amuse and entertain myself.

Hello, everyone. I don’t use social media as I find it is often anti-social, and neither do I belong to any other forums because, usually, within four posts they tend to go off topic. I’ve joined this one because it is so refreshingly different.

Everyone is just so friendly and helpful. Even when people have different answers to a question, or different approaches to a problem, they all seem to express themselves in a constructive way. This is important to me because I am 63, and honestly, the only instrument, apart from toy ones, I have ever played is a triangle when I was six years of age in Primary school. I decided to resolve one of my long standing regrets and learn to play an instrument. Guitar was my choice, but I could not afford to buy an expensive instrument, and certainly cannot afford to pay for lessons. I found Justin’s website just by hours of trawling through the internet, and was amazed to find that after a few introductory lessons there was no hard sell, or need to subscribe with monthly payments, just clearly set out and well planned proper lessons. This site has been my saviour. I have bought his beginners course book and a song book, so hopefully he’ll get some pennies from that.

I have owned and been playing my guitar for exactly fourteen days, and obviously I am still getting the hang of the D chord. I’m being patient and realistic. Although my hands are used to hard work, my fingertips aren’t, so I’m practising for ten minutes, four or five times a day. Already they are toughening up, and they don’t become painful any more, just uncomfortable. Now I don’t have to press on the strings so hard the notes are getting clearer, and I managed twice today to put my fingers on the correct string on the correct fret and strum and pluck the correct strings too. Without looking!

My message to anyone reading this who is only thinking about learning guitar is to stop thinking, and just do it. No, your fingers aren’t too big/fat/short/long/straight/bent. After a week you’ll realise that, and then get a sense of achievement when you get a note to play clearly. I am sure that Justin’s lessons, and books if you can afford them, plus the help on the forum, will get you there.

Thanks to Justin, but also to everyone else who takes the time to share their knowledge and experience.

John

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #1539 on: September 15, 2017, 02:02:04 pm »
Well said John, absolutely 100% about don't just think about it do it!!!
Good luck with your adventure, and I really hope like myself you get what you are looking for here both in terms of instruction and support!
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline GregS

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1540 on: September 15, 2017, 02:06:01 pm »
Nickname: Greg
Real (full) name: Greg Smith
Age and birthday: 49 (at least for a couple more months)
Habitat: Maryland, USA

None yet

Don't play yet

Which amp(s) do you own?
N/A

N/A

80's Alternative, but like most genres.  Not a fan of hip hop.  Not thrilled with bluegrass, but it kind of grows on me.

N/A

Cure, Smiths, Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols, Toby Keith

I've always wanted to learn to play guitar since my teen years.  As a kid, my father strummed some.  I didn't have the interest at that time.  When I got into my teens, I was too busy to add guitar to what I was doing.  In my 20's and 30's I got tied up with dating, marriage and getting on with life.  From then until recently, I've been threatening my wife that I wanted to learn guitar.  This year, I turn 50.  My son started playing and I decided it's finally time for me to just do it.

Nope

Why do you play guitar?
I want to learn so I can jam with my son

Discover what guitar is for me and to start playing enough to jam with my son.

I'll be searching the forum a lot.  I'm initially looking for info on which guitars I should seriously consider getting.  I'll then start on the lessons.  I've been impressed with everything I've read so far.

Offline pcama

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1541 on: September 15, 2017, 03:51:30 pm »
Nickname: Phil
Real (full) name: Phil
Age and birthday: 51
Habitat:  Apex, NC USA

Ibenez AVD10

see above-the only one I own!

Which amp(s) do you own?
none

4 months

Rock and Blues

Your beginner song book !

Dont know if I have true favorites any long... Most popular groups from 60's, 70's, U2, Bob Seager and 90's.  Blues Muddy Waters, BB King, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Stevie Ray Voughn

My Step-Daughter

no

Why do you play guitar?
wanted to try something new in life.  Never picker up an instrument prior to this.  Loads of fun, I have been missing out.

become good enough to play in local blues open mic's.  Keep learning and improving !

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1542 on: September 16, 2017, 07:38:32 am »
Hello and welcome to our most recent members.
Look around, explore, join in.
 :)

Offline Nilo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1543 on: September 16, 2017, 02:51:40 pm »
Hello everyone.  I thought I would come and introduce myself.  Loving the JustinGuitar site so far - 'awesome' is an understatement! 

I live in South West London, UK!

Nickname: Nilo
Real (full) name: Niel van Vlaanderen
Age and birthday: 34, December 1982
Habitat: My habitat is a house in Wimbledon, London but I am originally from South Africa.

A horrid cheap steel string acoustic which lives under the bed
An Epiphone Les Paul Studio

The Epi LP

Which amp(s) do you own?
Marshall Code 25 (baby steps!)

6 weeks properly, I have tried in the past but was never committed enough. I am at time in my life where I have been able to make time to practice and get in to it a lot more, following the beginner course and practice schedule fairly religiously.

Rock, Punk, Reggae, Blues, some metal anything that sounds cool!

Just the practice schedules and the beginner songs at the moment but I am dreaming big!

A tough question... where do you start?
Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, NOFX, Rancid, Me first and the Gimme Gimmes ... I could go on for a long time and it will be tldr;

I've always wanted to play the guitar and I've 'started' quite a few times since I was a kid. I wish I got in to it earlier and stuck with it. I think I've always loved guitar and always wanted to play since I listened to music with my dad on his tapes in the 80s...

I'm not good enough to play in a band yet but would love to find some buddies to jam with as I progress.  Could be cool to meet some guys (or gals) better than me so I could learn some of their tricks, and some people who are at the same level as me so we could learn together.

Why do you play guitar?
Guitar is awesome and I play to get better and feel great when I play awesome songs that I love very well. I find playing/practicing both relaxing and very rewarding, especially as I am learning I can really feel and see tangible results quite fast.

I will continue with the beginners course until I have hopefully mastered it. I would like to play with others and maybe record stuff in future. My goals are broad - "get good at playing guitar and love it". I am not over-pressuring myself by defining them in too much granularity as I am sure my goals will evolve with my skill.

Offline Martintrini

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1544 on: September 18, 2017, 03:57:57 am »
Hello Justin, from the beautiful island of Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean. Thank you for giving so much, and making learning to play the guitar at age 56 years, so much fun.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App