Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 436858 times)

Offline rlagoda

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1035 on: June 24, 2015, 12:58:02 pm »

Nickname:rlagoda (I know so creative)
Real (full) name:Ross Lagoda
Age and birthday:41 24th July 1973
Habitat:

Which guitar(s) do you own? Chantry Acoustic (not sure what it is but the guy in the guitar shop sold it to me and it plays nice. Marlin Sidewinder I've had for 20 years and my recent aquisition a Vintage V100

Which guitar do you currently play on? I practice mostly on the Acoustic then switch to the Vintage and it suddenly comes together. I figured it's better this way round

Which amp(s) do you own? a tiny little Orange Practice Amp. All I need for now and I love it.

How long have you been playing guitar?Just about a year

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? These days I'm quite eclectic I like the acoustic stuff but I grew up on the American grunge and then strait on to Britpop. Really like Badly Drawn boy. So rolk and folk?

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? WHatever I'm familier with in the begginer lesson songbook. At the moment at stage 3 it's Hey Joe and Hey Ya

Who are your favorite bands? As above too eclectic these days to list but. Back in the day in was Pearl Jam, Red hot chili Peppers, Faith no more followed by Oasis, Blur, Elastica etc

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Always wanted to but only just redisciovered I had the patience for it. (but not the time)

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No

Why do you play guitar? It's relaxing and confidence building. Makes me feel good like I have some talent.

What are your goals for the future? I'm just happy to be progressing more than I could have believed. Who knows where it'll take me.

Offline LeftyLopez

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1036 on: June 24, 2015, 01:56:56 pm »

Nickname: Lefty Lopez
Real (full) name: -
Age and birthday: 45
Habitat: Massachusetts, USA

Which guitar(s) do you own?
 Les Paul Studio 70s tribute

Which amp(s) do you own?
Blues Jr

For how long have you been playing guitar?
Couple weeks

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
Rock - Blues-

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?

Who are your favorite bands?
Ramones, Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Black Crowes

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
 Always been on the list of things to do, and with a career change I finally have a little extra time and funds.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
 I front a pretty cool blues rock band ( in my head)

Why do you play guitar?

What are your goals for the future?
 Become proficient enough to be comfortable doing a blues jam or open mike sometime, maybe write a few simple songs sometime.

Offline Wingerdave

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Brummie Born and Bred
« Reply #1037 on: June 25, 2015, 12:22:23 am »

Nickname: Wingerdave

Real (full) name: Dave Abrahams

Age and birthday: 56

Habitat: The Netherlands

Which guitar(s) do you own? 1974 Antoria Les Paul Custom, 2010 Fender Telecaster, Bender Mesocaster (2x self built strats), Fender acoustic, Stagg Mandoline

Which guitar do you currently play on? Les Paul, Acoustic, Tele

Which amp(s) do you own? VOX AD60VT

How long have you been playing guitar? 40 years

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Blues, Rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Blues, Rock

Who are your favorite bands? Led Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Rory Gallagher

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No, Yes

Why do you play guitar? I enjoy it

What are your goals for the future? Get a band together and gig

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Antoria Les Paul Custom Cherryburst, Fender Telecaster MIM, Bender Strat (2x) Self built, Stagg Mandolin, Fender Acoustic, VOX AD60 VT

Offline LR18

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1038 on: July 16, 2015, 07:12:51 pm »
Nickname: LR18
Real (full) name: Daniel elward
Age and birthday: 27 ( 28/06/88 )
Habitat: South Wales, United Kingdom

Epiphone Les Paul

Which guitar do you currently play on?
Same as above

Which amp(s) do you own?
Blackstar mini battery powered

Since I was 15. However I haven't played for the last 6 years. Recently started again.

rock, heavy metal, blues, country.

I started with things like red hot chilli peppers, rage Against the machine etc etc.  songs that are quite easy for new players. Then I moved onto Metallica and iron maiden etc getting stuck in with the solo's.

Who are your favorite bands/artists?
I'd have to say chilli peppers are probably my absolute favourite. Other than them I would say iron maiden, chuck berry, stevie ray vaughn, Johnny Cash.

My best mate in school got a bass and started having lessons. I would fumble around the fret board making noise. Then he introduced me to tabs and I realised how easy it was to learn songs through tab. One of our other friends had an old encore from one of those £99 starter packs. I bought that and loved it from day one.

No and I've never really considered it.

Why do you play guitar?
Because I love music. Playing it is better then listening imo.

Just to get back up to the standard I used to be at. I played from 15 years old into my early 20's. Then for some reason I lost interest and stopped. I haven't played properly in about 6 years. I recently saw acdc at Wembley and it has sparked my interest again.  So I'm practicing in the evenings when I'm parked in my truck (I'm a long distance lorry driver)

Offline rusty fingers

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1039 on: July 17, 2015, 02:52:46 am »

Nickname: rustyfingers
Real (full) name: Brian
Age and birthday: 52  8/14/1962
Habitat: USA

Which guitar(s) do you own? Schecter C-1 Elite, Epiphone Joe Pass, Takamine F360S

Which guitar do you currently play on? The Epiphone... very nice to play sounds good unplugged

Which amp(s) do you own? Fender 25R,  Bugera Vintage 55 HD

How long have you been playing guitar? a long, long, long time

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Jazz, blues, rock, 70's pop

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Jazz and blues

Who are your favorite bands? Zeppelin... of course! Listening to a lot Kurt Rosenwinkel right now.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? My dad listened to a lot of Wes Montgomery when I was a kid.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? had a garage band back in high school

Why do you play guitar? ... it's just a part of me. I've tried to give it up, but I can't, just drawn to it.

What are your goals for the future? to become a true musician, read and write music, truly understand what's going on and why.
[/quote]

Offline iChow

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #1040 on: July 18, 2015, 06:22:13 pm »
Nickname: iChow
Age and birthday[DD/MM/YY]: 17 (06/01/1997)
Habitat: Edmonton, Canada

Yamaha FG700S

Yamaha FG700S

Since about two days ago

I like alt-rock and a little bit of indie. I also listen to some metal. My tastes are pretty eclectic.

1. Radiohead 2. Pavement 3. Iron Maiden

When I first started getting into Radiohead, I would watch their videos live and thought that Jonny and Thom and Ed playing were really cool. I wanted to play just like that.

No and I have no aspirations to do so.

Why do you play guitar?
I just want to learn how to play my favourite songs and play for my own enjoyment.

I just want to be able to get to a point where I can play and transcribe songs.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1041 on: July 19, 2015, 02:25:11 pm »
Nickname: iChow
Age and birthday[DD/MM/YY]: 17 (06/01/1997)
Habitat: Edmonton, Canada

Yamaha FG700S

Yamaha FG700S

Since about two days ago

I like alt-rock and a little bit of indie. I also listen to some metal. My tastes are pretty eclectic.

1. Radiohead 2. Pavement 3. Iron Maiden

When I first started getting into Radiohead, I would watch their videos live and thought that Jonny and Thom and Ed playing were really cool. I wanted to play just like that.

No and I have no aspirations to do so.

Why do you play guitar?
I just want to learn how to play my favourite songs and play for my own enjoyment.

I just want to be able to get to a point where I can play and transcribe songs.

Welcome to Justinguitar! Nice to see a fellow Canuck join up. Your goals are pretty much the same as mine. Just playing some favourite songs for my own enjoyment. It's been about 10 months since I picked up the guitar for the first time. I'm having a blast! My only advice? Stick with it! Follow the beginner course and practice every single day if possible. I'm 55 years old and figured I had no musical ability to learn. How wrong I was! Practice hard and enjoy!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline silman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1042 on: July 21, 2015, 06:51:46 am »
Nickname: Silman
Habitat: California

Fender Squier Stratocaster Cherry Sunburst

See Above

Which amp(s) do you own?
Roland Cube 30X

This is an odd question. I got my guitar at the beginning of highschool (when i was 14) with dreams of playing rock and pop, but i wasn't good about practicing (Self teaching has always been very hard for me), so the guitar just sat there. I tried to play tab without any knowledge of any chords (just trying to wing it based on the tab) and failed miserably and it made me not want to play. Years went by and i finally tried to pick it up again in college, this time actually starting with Justin's Beginner Course, but school made it very difficult to make time to practice (also i wasn't prioritizing it, i could have made time but i was lazy). So here i am, fresh out of college, 22 years old and trying to start again with the same guitar i got almost 8 years ago. Hopefully it will stick this time, each time i thought of going back to learning i made a dumb excuse  (the dumbest of which was "im too old now, all my peers who play guitar have been playing for years"). I'm done making excuses, i want to learn and 22 is still young enough to learn and have fun with it, i think i was too obsessed with getting really good really fast without wanting to put in the effort.

I love pretty much all music, but i've been listening to classic rock from a very very young age. I want to learn all kinds of music to play on guitar though.

None, still on Stage 1 of the beginner course, looking to learn some classic rock and hopefully some pop songs (i love Elvis and taylor swift).

Elvis, Boston, Journey, ACDC, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Ed Sheeran

I have always wanted to be able to play an instrument and sing along, guitar and piano are the most common instruments to do this with, initially i was driven to guitar from Guitar Hero believe it or not, after feeling like a fake rock star on the game (which i got absurdly good at), i wanted to feel the real thing.

I love singing but i'm bad at it, i may need voice lessons.

Nope and nope, don't really want to until im much older and have the free time to dedicate to organizing practice with others.

Why do you play guitar?
I want to be able to play music for myself and others, i think its fun and brings people together.

I want to learn to play some classic rock and pop songs, i want to be able to make up for the time i wasted by learning as much as possible (the right way), not taking any short cuts and hopefully in a few months be able to play some songs for my girlfriend.

One concern i have is that i have pretty small hands for a guy and am worried i will never be able to do bar chords, i know everyone says my fret hand will stretch but by how much?

Secondly, i see all these cool covers of songs i want to play online but they always do picking of single strings instead of chords for this cool and complex sound. I just don't know if i have the dexterity and mental capacity to be able to pick individual strings so quickly, they are so close together on the guitar and i fear i will never be able to switch to the specific one i need quick enough.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:38:23 am by silman »

Offline iChow

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #1043 on: July 26, 2015, 09:51:18 pm »
Welcome to Justinguitar! Nice to see a fellow Canuck join up. Your goals are pretty much the same as mine. Just playing some favourite songs for my own enjoyment. It's been about 10 months since I picked up the guitar for the first time. I'm having a blast! My only advice? Stick with it! Follow the beginner course and practice every single day if possible. I'm 55 years old and figured I had no musical ability to learn. How wrong I was! Practice hard and enjoy!

Thank you so much for your encouragement and I am hopeful I can accomplish my goals eventually and wish you well on your own journey.

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #1044 on: August 14, 2015, 09:21:40 pm »
Nickname: Johan217
Real (full) name: Johan
Age and birthday: born 1974
Habitat: Ghent, Belgium

1991 Chevy Les Paul Custom

The same. Got her on my 17th birthday and named her Betty (as in "Black Betty", more sophisticated people than me may recognize a word play on the Les Paul Black Beauty, but I wasn't aware of that until last week  ;D)

Which amp(s) do you own?
1992 Marshall VS8040 Valvestate

How long have you been playing guitar?
Started around when I was 16. Tried bass for a few months without actually knowing the difference with an actual guitar. Never had any tuition, which I regret now. As a result my playing was very sloppy and never really evolved beyond power chords. Until I got here I hadn't touched a guitar for about 15 years.

Classic rock

Back in the day (early/mid 1990s) mostly punk rock with way too much distortion

CCR and anything that had Ronnie James Dio in it

Honestly... I saw it as a way to be one of the cool kids and get the attention of girls. It sort of worked, up to a point  ??? I do enjoy music (both listening to and playing the guitar) but it's really more of a hobby, not something I would live and die for.

Back in early 1990s: yes, a gang of teenagers with an insanely loud drummer who was probably also the most technically proficient of the lot

Why do you play guitar?
My guitar playing gradually died out after moving to an apartment flat, and later getting a family. Now I have moved into a house with thicker walls and a few weeks ago I visited a friend who has a guitar. The guitar bug bit me again, finding this website was the final push I needed to get started again.

I want to be a better player than I was 20 years ago. After doing Justin's course for just a few weeks, I already feel that I can do things that I couldn't do back then. So now I want to keep working until I can play along with the music that I like: not necessarily "exactly like on the record" but with a solid rhythm, a few fills here and there and maybe even a simplified solo that still sounds good and contains a few signature licks that would make people think "hey that sounds just like...!". And who knows, maybe if my son will want to be that rock 'n roll kid when he is 16 I will be there to show him a few tricks to impress his mates 8)
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline ArabianKnight

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1045 on: August 19, 2015, 07:32:11 am »
Hi everyone.  Great to be here, this site has an amazing amount of resources.  I love it!

Offline lieshoogendoorn

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1046 on: August 28, 2015, 12:41:59 pm »
nickname: lieshoogendoorn
Real (full) name: same as my username
Age and birthday: 27
Habitat: Netherlands

Fender CD140s acoustic and Epiphone Les Paul special 2

Both!

Which amp(s) do you own?
Roland cube 10gx

not even a month...

I mostly listen to hard rock, classic rock, blues rock, but I like all sorts of music.

I wish I could say I play Zakk Wylde songs all the time but for now I'm glad I can kinda play along with rod stewarts maggie may hahaha.

Fleetwood mac, black label society, the mars volta, CCR, Pantera, many more.

my dad who's awfully skilled. I always had an old guitar lying around but it just took me 20 years to find the courage to actually really learn how to play. And to find justins video's ofcourse!

No but would love it someday

Why do you play guitar?
because I like it!

To be able to play along with my favourite songs

Offline wush1

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1047 on: August 29, 2015, 03:42:26 pm »
Name:
wush1

Habitat:
Northern Germany

Which guitar?
Levin LT-180CE

Since January 2015

Blues, everything with long instrumentals, prog rock, psych rock, Jazz. There’s not much I don’t like.

Songs from Justin’s Beginner’s Songbook

I enjoy a lot of music. A few of my favourites are (roughly alphabetically):

Ali Farka Touré
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
Buffalo Springfield
The Byrds
CCR
Dire Straits
Django Reinhardt
The Doors
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Georges Brassens
HRSTA
Jaco Pastorius
Janis Joplin with Big Brother & The Holding Company
Jefferson Airplane
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
Levin, Torn, White
Lou Reed
Macka B.
Metallica
Mississippi John Hurt
Nick Drake
Oscar Peterson
Peter, Paul & Mary
Pink Floyd
Queen
R.E.M
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Tangerine Dream
Thelonious Monk
Tito & Tarantula
Toumani Diabaté
The Velvet Underground
Weather Report
Wes Montgomery
Wang Feng

Never played an instrument, always wanted to. Rodrigo y Gabriela’s rendition of Tamacun made me go for it.

Not yet (couple more months / years of practice, I guess)

Why do you play guitar?
First and foremost: I love its sound, its feel, its looks. Simple as that.
But there’s more to it, of course:
  • Guitars are incredibly versatile, functioning as accompaniment, as rhythm or lead instrument, they work in punk, rock, jazz and classical music, solo or in band or concert. Incredibly cool!
  • I was told the guitar was one of the easiest instruments to learn (if so, how difficult are the others!?)
  • A guitar can be affordable.
  • Guitars are more mobile than acoustic bases or pianos.
  • Since there are so many players, there’s a lot of good, free material readily available, more so than with most other instruments. It means I can learn to play without an expensive teacher.
  • I enjoy playing and singing at the same time. This works great with the guitar, since I like to sing pop songs for which guitar notes/tabs are available online.

Where I am now: I’m having fun playing the guitar. I’m around stage 6 of the beginner’s course. I learn simple scales and music theory.
Short-term goals: Have fun playing guitar. Improve aural skills. Learn to understand and play the guitar on a basic level. Be able to play the songs from the Beginner’s Songbook, and then from the other songbooks (I bought the bundle, enthusiastic me!)
Medium-term goals: Have fun playing guitar. Thoroughly understand music theory (because I like it, not because I think I have to). Learn to play blues.
Long-term goals: Have fun playing guitar. Make the guitar part of my body. Understand and play jazz. Go to jazz jams.

Offline LastedRexKing

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #1048 on: August 31, 2015, 04:48:00 pm »
Nickname: Woody
Real (full) name: Shaun Wood
Age and birthday: 41. November
Habitat: Yorkshire.

Which guitar(s) do you own? An old BowWood Electric guitar, a Mid '70s Yamaha FG 202, and a new Epiphone Pro-1

Which guitar do you currently play on? The Epiphone. It's very beginner friendly. Jumbo frets, light strings. Lovely to play if you're a newby. It's cheap, and all laminate, and a bit tinny, but it's the first guitar I paid for myself, so I love it. My next guitar will be an Epiphone Masterbilt, or a Seagull.

Which amp(s) do you own? None. I'm mostly interested in acoustic guitars. I do have an irig to plug my electric into my iPad/iPhone, and that works just fine.

How long have you been playing guitar? Just started, complete beginner. I did learn a tiny bit when I was about 8, but can't remember 33 years ago.  :)

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Country. Which, for a bloke from Yorkshire maybe a bit odd. But, it's very relevant to a kid from a mining town.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Hah, do 'chords A, D, and E' count as a genre? If so, that.  ;)

Who are your favorite bands? Kacey Musgraves. Jason Isbell. Rascal Flatts. Charles Esten.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? As I said above, I played a tiny bit as a kid. I always wish I'd never stopped.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Nope. This is purely for me.

Why do you play guitar? I love the sound of acoustic guitars. They're so simple, but have such a depth to them musically. They're also incredibly versatile. You can do so much with one guitar.

What are your goals for the future? To complete all of Justin's course.

Offline bobajobman67

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1049 on: September 13, 2015, 08:47:56 am »
Greetings to all and lovely to meet you all

I thought I would let you know a little bit about myself before officially becoming a member

I'm 48 and have been playing guitar now for over 20 years, must be nearly 30 now.
I have played in bands, quite a few, but was mainly rhythm.
I got the kick, by mutual consent, from the last band I was in about six years ago now which I must admit was a bit of a relief to my wife as it was starting to take over our lives.
I have paid for some guitar courses online which went nowhere as well as going to a tutor for a year which also came to an abrupt end as he thought i was too experienced to teach.
I was told to try Justin's course by an old band mate of mine whom i bumped into one day.
After a good look over it and looking at what was to offer I decided to start at the bottom and work my way up which had surprising results, its amazing what you forget and what I learned also.
I studied vigorously over it but had lots of fun along the way as he is so laid back and 'cool' as he so likes to explain a lot of his lessons.
I've completed the intermediate course and would love to go on and learn the blues as its always a style of guitar I'd love to play.
The bands I've been in have been rock,grunge and then it got a bit heavy like, leading to arguments and my final departure.
I think my band days are over so it's just a case of take it easy and grow old time.
I know I don't know it all as guitar is a never ending thing and you tube just shows random videos where this is more structured.

Anyway enough of my rambling
it been a pleasure speaking to you all and I'd love to post anything on to let you here how far I'm on, I'm no Eric Clapton or SRV.
Any advice would be a godsend.

The bobajobman

Nice meeting you all

Let the blues ring out man!!!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App