Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 442434 times)

Offline Deejay101

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1950 on: May 07, 2019, 08:35:59 pm »
Nickname:Deejay
Real (full) name:Dave
Age and birthday:47
Habitat:Sussex by the sea, UK

Which guitar(s) do you own?Epiphone SG special vintage black

Which guitar do you currently play on?Epiphone SG special vintage black

Which amp(s) do you own?Yamaha THR10

How long have you been playing guitar?~two weeks

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?I think every genre has at least one good tune to offer

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?Fumble

Who are your favorite bands?never really latched onto one artist/group

What inspired you to start playing guitar?years of listening and thinking "I wish I could play"

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?no

Why do you play guitar? Wanted to for a long time

What are your goals for the future?nothing big,just Be able to play along to tunes I like

Offline sendotsklin

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1951 on: May 09, 2019, 03:41:47 pm »
Nickname: sendotsklin
Real (full) name: Dennis
Age and birthday: 30 (05-07-88)
Habitat: The Netherlands

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Blueridge BR-341, Stanford OM-28, Electrical Guitar Company all aluminum standard.

Which guitar do you currently play on?
Stanford OM-28

Which amp(s) do you own?
Roland Cube 40

For how long have you been playing guitar?
On and off for about 14 years but never really progressed past the playing along to songs phase, i just really enjoy guitars and am finally getting more serious about actually learning how to play.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
Folk, some jazz and rock and pop too.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
Mostly folky acoustic fingerpicking and strumming, but from time to time i love playing along to some rock or punk songs on my electric.

Who are your favorite bands?
Daniel Johnston, Captain Beefheart, Kate Bush, Jackson C. Frank, Neutral Milk Hotel, Devendra Banhart, Swans, John Zorn's Masada Quartet, Ornette Coleman.

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
Seeing a System Of A Down concert on live tv, started learning their riffs with some help from guitar playing friends.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
No, i honestly don't have the ambition of playing in a band i just like to play the guitar.

Why do you play guitar?
Because it is fun, also quite frustrating at times but i still love guitars after all these years.

What are your goals for the future?
Being able to fingerpick really well and to compose my own songs.

Offline rghaoui

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1952 on: May 11, 2019, 10:12:54 pm »
Nickname: Ray
Real (full) name:Ray El Ghaoui
Age and birthday: 20
Habitat: Dubai - United Arab Emirates

Yamaha Pacifica 112j

Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Which amp(s) do you own?
Fender mini delux
How long have you been playing guitar?
2-3 months
Pub rock - Blues - Hard rock.
a bit of pub rock , a bit of blues.
Dire Starits - Cream - Pink Floyd - ZZ top - Depeche mode - Alan Parsons - Deep purple .
Watching Mark knopfler perform and the melody he's got specially after listening to sultans of swing . Inspired me in many ways.
Nope and i dont think i would.
Why do you play guitar?
I figured its fun and a nice hobby that requires a bit of discipline .
To be able to write my own songs .

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline tmd63

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1953 on: May 13, 2019, 10:02:29 am »

Nickname: Lonewolf
Real (full) name:Donglin Huang
Age and birthday:56 (1963)
Habitat:UK

Which guitar(s) do you own? A beginners LA bass and LA Lead from Gear4Music

Which guitar do you currently play on? LA bass

Which amp(s) do you own? the one that came with the pack

How long have you been playing guitar? Zero

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Just starting

Who are your favorite bands? Many, Try most bands on the Heavy Metal Bible 3 disc album

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Nope

Why do you play guitar? I want to get into my own groove

What are your goals for the future? To play and jam with my sons

Offline Ziggy75

• Good Vibes 1
  • Metal Wizard in training
« Reply #1954 on: May 15, 2019, 09:26:39 pm »
Before my time, but another great musician!

Offline tassylinc

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1955 on: May 21, 2019, 04:00:26 am »

Nickname: tassylinc
Real (full) name:lincoln
Age and birthday:43, 120675
Habitat: tasmania australia

Which guitar(s) do you own? takamine semi acoustic

Which guitar do you currently play on? takamine semi

Which amp(s) do you own?none

How long have you been playing guitar? ive been able to play a few chords for years but never learnt properly until about two weeks ago

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? metal and some electronica, acoustic blues

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? whatever is in Justin's lessons

tool, apc, pantera, zeppelin, city and colour, rage against the machine,nirvana etc
ive always wanted to learn but kept giving up when it got hard
Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? no

Why do you play guitar?
Relaxing and sense of accomplishment
To be a competent guitarist good enough to record my own stuff at home.

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline Spidersayan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1956 on: May 22, 2019, 02:01:31 am »
Hi everyone! And thanks Justin, it's been said many a times but what you're doing is amazing, I can't thank you enough for all the content you put out there!

Nickname:   Tom
Age and birthday: 32 ('87)
Habitat: Canada - but I'm French

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender Classic Series '50s Stratocaster

Which guitar do you currently play on? Fender Classic Series '50s Stratocaster

Which amp(s) do you own? Not sure of the model but it's a Blackstar practice amp - not a mini amp though

How long have you been playing guitar? I bought my guitar three years ago, but I only decided to be serious about learning about a month or two ago.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Classic Rock, Blues, Blues Rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Classic Rock, and Blues Rock

Who are your favorite bands? The Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Ben Harper, Muddy Waters, BB King, etc

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Keith Richards.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Never did, nor do I feel ready!

Why do you play guitar?  I just enjoy listening to guitars, I am fascinated by guitarists, and I'd love to be able to reproduce some of these sounds myself. I like playing music because it is relaxing, your brain is entirely focused on one thing.

What are your goals for the future? I want to be able, one day, to play Rolling Stones songs, and blues songs from the 50-60s.
[/quote]

Offline claudinec

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1957 on: May 25, 2019, 05:42:15 am »
Name: Claudine
Habitat: Melbourne, Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own? Schechter Hellraiser C-1

Which guitar do you currently play on? Schechter Hellraiser C-1

Which amp(s) do you own? Blackstar Super Fly

How long have you been playing guitar? On and off for about thirty years

Which is/are your favourite music genre(s)? Classic rock, alternative rock, folk, jazz, classical

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Rock

Who are your favourite bands? Varies from week to week; currently inspired by Nirvana, Bikini Kill, Courtney Barnett

What inspired you to start playing guitar? It seemed like a cool instrument, and my dad played a little

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Not since high school concert band; I would have to get over my stage fright

Why do you play guitar? To relax, have fun, and learn to listen better

What are your goals for the future? Play more of the music I like listening to, improve my basic technique, and be able to transcribe whole songs. I learned classical guitar in school and am glad I can sight-read and understand theory, but my ear training was almost non-existent. I'm now working through Leavitt's Modern Method for Guitar to brush up on technique, and working on Justin's ear training exercises.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 / Blackstar Super Fly
Makai MT-70 tenor uke

Offline langy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1958 on: May 26, 2019, 05:28:47 am »
I made a sort of template out of Lucos' question list.
To use it, just click on the "Quote" button at the top-right of this post, delete the stuff above Nickname:, and then delete the  at the end, and then fill in the areas you choose to answer.

Nickname:langy
Real (full) name:dave
Age and birthday:12/12/71
Habitat:goldcoast,australia

Which guitar(s) do you own?some very cheap but fun start and les Paul copies.

Which guitar do you currently play on? whatever's close

Which amp(s) do you own?blackstar ht1r

How long have you been playing guitar?to long to be this bad

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?funk,soul,disco,reagge

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?soul

Who are your favorite bands?nile Rodgers, Curtis mayfield,marvin Gaye

What inspired you to start playing guitar?love of music

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?no

Why do you play guitar? to relax

What are your goals for the future?more relaxing

Offline AndrewNZ

• Good Vibes 0
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1959 on: May 26, 2019, 10:22:18 am »
Hi there, in the last  week I came across JustinGuitar and have been intensely working through the modules since. I am up to the earlier stages of Intermediate so far. Far and away the best guitar teaching resource I have ever come across. Wish I had found it many years earlier.

I am 65 and have been playing self taught guitar for 50 years, much of that time poorly.

About 1998 I encountered and started playing in a niche called Zikr which is a mystical practice most commonly known in the West from the Whirling Dervishes. I play guitar for a different branch of the same which involves a circle of participants, singing, simple deep meditative dance and live un-amplified music. While most often I play solo to very small circles (or alone), there have been times when I have played 6 hours a day for a week long retreat with 3-4 other musicians and many participants. My playing has improved quite a bit in the intervening 20 years.

I find it difficult to answer the question on genre. I love blues, I love traditional folk and some non-traditional folk, I have loved many of the groups of the 60's and 70's and while I do not respond so strongly to jazz some of my own playing seems to be becoming more jazz oriented these days. But what I play is almost exclusively Zikr which often has a middle-eastern sound flavor. I have composed many zikr melodies.

I mostly play a 12 string in an increasingly finger style way though I do use a pick too. My favorite guitar is my Morris Tornado 12 string made in Japan in the 70's with the most wonderful action of any guitar I have ever come across and a gentle delicate touch and sound which I treasure. Recently I bought a Recording King 12 string as a less precious back-up and I have to say it is good, especially considering it is cheap. It is very light, has excellent action and a very strong sound. There have been periods when I have enjoyed playing nylon 6 string. I have an expensive one which has never worked out for me and a cheap Yamaha which has produced some of my best music ever. I also have a Maton 6 string A80 "Australian" which I loved when I first bought it but we don't seem to suit other any longer, not sure why.

I have some strengths as a musician but there are huge gaps and weaknesses - I almost never use bar chords, I play many complex chords and a reasonable finger-style but mostly in the first position, I have only recently learned the fretboard notes above first position, my fingers and hand could do with strengthening and becoming more supple etc etc. I am currently exploring moderately complex non-bar chords up the fretboard using the CAGED system as a starting point.

Some of my weaknesses reflect the music I work with and the instrument I play but still I want to extend my capacity especially in the directions of complex chords up the fret-board, reading music (I can read music well for piano but not in terms of playing it on guitar), getting better at fingerstyle and playing full rhythm / melody guitar solo. Right now I am concentrating on the finger stretching and finger strengthening lessons, the barre lessons (even if I rarely need them I want to get the technique and strength as it will help elsewhere), the scales and a couple of songs. But all over the place in Justin's lessons I find things that fill gaps and are so useful. Like the advice to push down in the middle of the finger for the E barre - seems an obscure bit of advice but instantaneous results :-)

You will be hearing more from me as I have questions and things I need help with. I am so happy to have found this wonderful site and to become part of this learning community. Sometimes at 65 one wonders if it is realistic to keep pushing to extend oneself, and I do have to fight that negative thinking but right now I am having fun, feeling energized and I know progress is underway.

Cheers from New Zealand

Andrew

newbielink:https://www.youtube.com/user/AndrewHallNZ [nonactive]

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1960 on: May 26, 2019, 11:27:34 am »
Welcome to the several new members who recently joined. Enjoy your guitar journey and exploration of this site.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Maik

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1961 on: May 29, 2019, 02:24:19 pm »
Nickname: Maik
Real (full) name: Maik Adamietz
Age and birthday: 45 (1973-06-18)
Habitat: Belgium

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender ESC-105, a older Stagg A2006-BLS which i already owned and a Stagg S300-SB which i bought recently due a too tight budget, it got a proper setup for free though.

Which guitar do you currently play on? During the day i practice on both the Fender ESC-105 and Stagg A2006-BLS. The Stagg S300-SB is used to practice in the evening/night. For now those are good enough to get started, once i get the hang of it i'll reward myself with a upgrade.

Which amp(s) do you own? A small Laney Hardcore HCM10 that i already had, got it years ago.

How long have you been playing guitar? I started to learn the basics when i was 15, then for decades i didn't follow any lessons, nor did I really play. Just recently i decided to start over from the beginning and been practicing for the last two weeks.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock, Pop, Folk, Blues. Also have a thing for electronic music.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? None yet really since i just started out.

Who are your favorite bands? Dire Straits, Mike Oldfield, Mark Knopfler, U2, Simple Minds.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? It actually was Mike Oldfield’s last studio album Return To Ommadawn that inspired me to get back into guitar playing.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No

Why do you play guitar? I suffer from suppressed depressions and recently got a burnout. Learning to play guitar helps me a lot to deal with that.

Being able to play guitar properly and develop my own style.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:58:11 pm by Maik »

Offline RC23

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1962 on: June 06, 2019, 03:19:39 am »

Nickname: RC23
Real (full) name: Rod
Age and birthday: 55 (1963 vintage)
Habitat: Melbourne Australia

Eastman AC120CE
Epiphone FlameKat

Both, but usually more often the acoustic

Which amp(s) do you own?
Orange CR35LDX

a bit over 2 years this time around

Rock, Blues, or anything that grabs my attention.

Classic Rock

Who are your favorite bands/artists?
Clapton, Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, U2, Neil Young, Hunters and Collectors, Springsteen, Led Zeppelin, Eagles and many, many more

Just love the music and always wanted to, just hadn't managed to start properly until now.

No

Why do you play guitar?
Enjoyment of music and the challenge of being able to.

To keep improving and be good enough to be confident to play in front of others.

Offline JerryBels

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1963 on: June 06, 2019, 09:02:01 am »
Nickname: JerryBels
Real (full) name: Jeremy
Age and birthday: 33 (May 31 1986)
Habitat: Jerusalem, Israel

An old classical unnamed guitar I received when I was 12 :D

The one I own

Which amp(s) do you own?
None yet

Two months ago

Rock, Soft Metal, Blues, Jazz, Folk, Classical, but I like anything that sounds good!

Classic Rock.

Who are your favorite bands/artists?
Too much to write down. No can do :)

When I received my guitar at age 12, I wanted to start. It took me 20 years but I finally found the courage to do it, thanks to the strong will to improve my life.

No

Why do you play guitar?
I love music, am in love with rock in particular, and would really like to be able to write my own music someday.

I'm not sure yet... Let's start by mastering the basics, we'll se what comes after it!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1964 on: June 06, 2019, 11:23:57 am »
hello and welcome to all new members.
:)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App