Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 431566 times)

Offline aquathest

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1935 on: April 10, 2019, 10:10:14 am »
Nickname: aquathest
Habitat: Melbourne, Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Monterey MEA-17N Acoustic - cheapie from JB Hi-Fi

Which guitar do you currently play on?
The one mentioned above.

Which amp(s) do you own?
None

For how long have you been playing guitar?
5 days!

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
Pop, rock, acoustic rock, 90s RnB

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
Nothing yet but I'm gravitating towards the songs I know for the beginner course like Walk The Line.

Who are your favourite bands?
Hanson, John Mayer

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
I have always loved music and I love to sing so always wanted to learn but never really had the chance. I have decided that I'm not getting any younger and why not teach myself a new skill that I have always wanted to learn? How good would it be to play some tunes and sing along? I am always amazed by John Mayer's guitar playing!

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
No, but that would be amazing to sing in a band! Although at my age and my work and family commitments, I don't see it happening unfortunately.

Why do you play guitar?
Because I love to learn new things and feel accomplishment at a new skill. Also because I love music and I want to be able to sing along to songs I can play.

What are your goals for the future?
To be able to play some songs and sing along with my son. To instil in my son with a love of music and inspire him to learn new things and take on new challenges.

Offline ShirtLesPaul

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1936 on: April 13, 2019, 04:59:22 am »
Age and birthday: 49 (soon to be 50)  :o
Habitat: California

Breedlove Atlas AC-25 and Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro II

the electric is new, so the Epiphone is my go to right now

Which amp(s) do you own?
Laney Cub 12R and Roland AC33

Hard to say, since junior college but always on and off - let's just say A LOT of dog years

Classic Rock, Old school Metal

Classic Rock, got the electric just recently to get back into it again

Who are your favorite bands?
Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Eagles, Rush, Iron Maiden, AC/DC

Watching Angus Young strut around like a madman on stage and still play like a beast

No. Would be fun, but family comes first

Why do you play guitar?
Because I feel music in me. That probably sounds stupid, but really, listening to Gilmore play Coming Back to Life - it pulls strings deep inside, and yes I sing in my truck and really get into it (even with the family in tow)

to be able to sit out on my back porch and just play (and not sound unpracticed), maybe play at a coffee shop, hopefully get my girls excited about an instrument? pass on my instruments to them, pass on my passion.

Why are you here?
Because I need motivation. I need other like-minded people around me that are seeking the same goal. That fuels me. It gives me a purpose and just makes me push past the tired eyes of a long day at work and pick up my guitar. I need some motivation back and to finally take my guitar a little more serious than I have in the past. Well, and to have some fun too!  ;D
"I am serious. And don't call me Shirley!"

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #1937 on: April 13, 2019, 03:48:29 pm »
I need motivation. I need other like-minded people around me that are seeking the same goal. That fuels me. It gives me a purpose and just makes me push past the tired eyes of a long day at work and pick up my guitar. I need some motivation back and to finally take my guitar a little more serious than I have in the past. Well, and to have some fun too!  ;D
Welcome aboard 'Shirley'  ;)
All the above suggests you have come to the right place.
I strongly recommend you take yourself over to the AVOYP section of the forum as soon as possible.
It's full of positive, interactive and helpful individuals with a wide spectrum of ability, with the common purpose of sharing their enjoyment and progress.
Hope to hear some of your music soon  :)

Offline Taobill

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1938 on: April 13, 2019, 09:53:22 pm »
Nickname: Taobill
Real (full) name: William Briggs
Age and birthday: 58 (01/25/1961)
Habitat: Branson, Missouri, USA

Which guitar(s) do you own? Taylor GS Mini, Taylor 714CE, Yamaha CG172SF,  Epiphone Les Paul

Which guitar do you currently play on? GS Mini and 714CE

Which amp(s) do you own? Crate CA30DG & Boss

How long have you been playing guitar? on and off for most of my life

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Folk and fingerstyle

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? fingerstyle

Who are your favorite bands? No real favorites

What inspired you to start playing guitar? No idea actually, just love music

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? no currently

Why do you play guitar? Love the challenge

What are your goals for the future? To be more comfortable playing in front of people.

Offline Ceryndrion

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1939 on: April 16, 2019, 03:11:18 pm »
Nickname: Ceryndrion (Ceryn for short)
Habitat: Nottingham

Epiphone LP-AFD
Chapman ML3-Pro Modern

Epiphone POS

Which amp(s) do you own?
Boss Katana 100
Orange Micro Dark

6 weeks

80s rock, a little country, random stuff

Badly

Iron Maiden, Dire Straits

Was watching a livestream one day, the person was randomly playing on their guitar and I thought "I wish I could do that", so went out and bought a guitar, and found myself hooked

Haha, no.

Why do you play guitar?
I grew up surrounded by music, with many members of family playing instruments, myself included (trumpet), but let it drop. Now in middle age, I want to learn the guitar and play some of the songs I've always loved.

To one day be able to feel comfortable enough with playing a guitar that I could say to someone 'hey, listen to this', and not feel embarrassed that I hit half of the wrong notes.

Offline Quest

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1940 on: April 17, 2019, 01:15:03 am »
Took me ages to work out how to do this.
Hi
I am Gary  and thanks Justin for all this amazing work. Just bought 3 more of your books. Although I sing and play for fun and for the elderly at the home where I work. I want to learn so many more songs and get better at playing them.
I have 4 guitars at the moment. Ibanez pro . Then I bought an echo for a bit of abuse. Found an old fenda and took parts off that and custom built the echo. Then bought a special edition Epiphone hummingbird. Now I own a 100th anniversary Gibson Hummingbird.  I tried a Gibson LezPaul yesterday. Not sure what to think. It was not as exciting as I hoped. As playing the first two high strings G E seemed to not sound right, The lower and dropping the D was great. So not sure about playing an electric after 40 years.
So here I am on a new adventure. happy to be here and get to know you.

Offline ur3kMazino

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1941 on: April 19, 2019, 10:22:54 am »
Nickname: urek
Real (full) name: bryan
Age and birthday: 11/9/87 age 31yrs
Habitat: Malaysia (im from the Philippines)

Which guitar(s) do you own? Some time ago a friend gave me a cheap acoustic guitar which he bought before but never used then a few days ago i bought an ibanez ax120 electric guitar.

Ibanez ax120

Which amp(s) do you own?
A Cort cm15r

How long have you been playing guitar?
Been playing since i was around 13, just on and off and only plays the songs i like and im not really good at it lol

Mostly rock, some love songs, slow rock, punk, metal

Not realy much but some local filipino rock songs, some slow rock and some love songs that i can sing along with my friends when hanging out( drinking)

Journey, ac/dc , bon jovi , trivium , rage againts the machine, metalica, black sabbath, sublime, marroon 5, green day, foo fighters,kamikazee and the script guns and roses and skidrow

At first i just thought its really cool to learn guitars and chicks dig guitar players haha but as time goes i really enjoy playing even when im alone and bored and it relieves stress( but most of the time makes me stressed specially when i cant hit the correct note i want to play haha)

Not really.. once i got to jam with a local hometown band but thats all
Why do you play guitar?
Not much really but i enjoy the music i make (even if all the people around hearing it was so annoyed )

Well im not really trying to get a career in music industry i just wanna play all the songs i like and will like in the future.. just enjoy playing guitar as of now.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline _Sandra_

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1942 on: April 20, 2019, 07:55:10 pm »
Nickname: _Sandra_
Habitat: Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Yamaha FG 830

The one mentioned above.

Which amp(s) do you own?
None (yet).

For nearly 1,5 years net time (had an injury in my left hand and had to pause)

It´s easier to say what I don´t like. Thats Jazz, Operas, and Hiphop.

I play mainly the songs of the beginners course.

Who are your favourite bands?
In my shelf are many CDs (yes, I still buy them) of Pink Floyd, Enrique Bunbury (and the former Heroes del Silencio), Mike Oldfield. My Frusciante collection is currently growing also Jethro Tull. So it seems my favourite genre is progressive rock.

The Solos of David Gilmour.

Not yet, but I would like to.

Why do you play guitar?
I felt that I should learn some kind of arts. Since I can´t draw nor paint, I have to try music.

Finishing the beginners course and consolidation. Playing more songs, learn some Blues things. Buying a Stratocaster and applying what I´ve learned so far. Exploring where my strengths in Guitar playing are (Fingerstyle? Blues? The Picked Fingerstyle-thing sounds great, or Rock?).

During the last months I made the expierence that listening to some kind of music and playing it are two different things. I am no big blues fan when it comes to listening to it. But it´s fun to play, what I initially didn´t expected. In the beginning of my guitar playing I wished to learn fingerstyle, what I still want, but in the meantime I made the experience that I learned alternate picking quite fast, so the need for an electric guitar came up. Some months ago I rather thougth my second guitar will rather be another acoustic for fingerstyle. So it´s not so easy to predict in which direction my guitar playing will develop in the future.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1943 on: April 21, 2019, 08:59:05 am »
A big welcome to all new members.
Give me a shout out if you need help finding your way.
:)

Offline Rick z

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1944 on: April 25, 2019, 05:31:06 pm »

Nickname:Rick Mz
Real (full) name:
Age and birthday:
Habitat:Perth Au

Which guitar(s) do you own?34yo small body ibanez semi,customised Mim strat, USA jazzmaster, Epiphone regent emporer archtop,old profile strat, stock mim strat

Which guitar do you currently play on?mim strat with upgraded loaded pick guard with 69 fender pup and 12” radius fretboard blade master trem, my trusty old Ibanez semi which needs a refret and pup upgrade but maybe buy a better semi if I find one like a 336 or 339

Which amp(s) do you own?2001 fender blues junior owned since new, dv mark little jazz, dv little 40, trying to find a hand wired Princeton or deluxe reverb been looking for Years without success

How long have you been playing guitar?long time with breaks

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?jazz blues

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?jazzy blues

Who are your favorite bands?dont really have any favourite bands. Favourite video atm in Martin Taylor with Julian Large playing “Someday my prince will come” also love watching Derek Trucks and Tommy Emmanuel on YouTube past influences Robin Ford Grant Green Wes Jim Hall

What inspired you to start playing guitar? A hippy who let me strum his nylon string once. Still remember that moment!

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?not in band currently, it’s a long term goal to have my own band

Why do you play guitar?emotional connection, personal challenge

What are your goals for the future?have my own band, increase repertoire of solo jazz standards my own arrangements, be able to solo on them like Joe Pass
[/quote]

Offline billyb_imp

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1945 on: April 28, 2019, 02:01:55 pm »
Nickname: billyb_imp
Real (full) name: Billy
Age and birthday: 63   09/05/1955
Habitat: Lincoln, UK

Yamaha F310

The one above

Which amp(s) do you own?
None yet

How long have you been playing guitar?
3 Days

Blues, rock, folk

Haven’t got that far yet, 3 chords is my limit & that’s without changing between them

Well there have been many over the years Humble Pie, Rory Gallagher, The Faces but currently mostly right now The Record Company & Gabriella Quevedo (now there’s a rather talented young lady)

Years spent listening to so much music, music I’ve loved for ages, then at 63 years old I began to think why have I never played music myself, so here I am, just starting my journey with Justin

No, no intentions of going that avenue

Why do you play guitar?
Just learning right now, because I should

To do justice to all the work that Justin so obviously puts into his teaching, hopefully anyone listening will recognise the tunes / music I am trying to play

Offline GUITARDUDE2

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1946 on: May 02, 2019, 04:06:31 pm »
Nickname: GUITARDUDE2
Real (full) name: Lorenzo
Age and birthday: 58 years old (LOL, I know)
Habitat: New York City

Which guitar(s) do you own?:
  • Ovation CC268
  • Yamaha FD01S (for sale)

Ovation CC268

Which amp(s) do you own?
Roland Micro Cube GX

Since APR 12, 2019 (the day I bought my Ovation)

Classic Rock

Just practicing for now, trying Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) and The Star Spangled Banner (Jimi Hendrix's version)

Pink Floyd, Genesis, ELP, and more...

Alice Cooper's concert, and George Thorogood too

Not yet

Why do you play guitar?

For fun and mindfullness

Keep practicing, get better and better, and go play guitar in Central Park and the Subway. just for fun

Offline KimonoGryphon

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1947 on: May 04, 2019, 06:37:33 pm »

*Sitknneels down and uses sign language to talk.*

Hellos all, and greets to everyone here.

Name's Kimono Gryphon and I'm a new member here. Just found your site recommended  from UbiSoft's Rocksmith forums, checked it out and decided to join.

Just received my guitar the other day from my beautiful southern-belle blonde wife, as an early birthday gift since I never ask for anything, deferring any gifts so our 14 year old daughter can have nice things. (Her birthday is one week before mine, and I always say our daughter is my best gift a dad could ever have.  ;D yeah i'm a softie, sue me.... ;p)

Guitar is a Jackson JS11 Dinky in Bright White heavily recommended from Anderton's music YT channel, and was a great buy at $149.00 from Zzounds.com.

I always had a love for music, but only was brave enough for air-guitaring in my room, or when I married and watched YouTube videos. I had seen a game called Rocksmith for the Xbox1s, (as I race online mainly) and seeing RS's ads of the '60 Day Challenge' had my curiousity piqued.

Realistically, I know I won't jam like Stevie Ray Vaughan, or the solo to Rush's Limelight in a few weeks, but hey, if a game can help me play somewhat better, count me in. ^~^

(And yes when i'm off the Xbox1s, I'll be here soaking in all the lessons that I can.)

Another separate reason for the guitar would be kind of a strange one....  Therapy..
I've been disabled since 2012, retired from driving trucks at 8 years, all local work. (Nerve damaged right hand and arm leaving me with 40% strength left, and then in 2015 suffering from a severe vertigo attack leaving me nearly deaf in left ear, Loud continuous tinnitus, balance problems and loosing hearing slightly in right ear. I'm trying to learn sign language and by reading lips, and I want to learn to play the guitar and enjoy music as long as I am able to listen to it and play it.

Dreams: I'd just like to be able to play something more than an air-guitar and sitting on my rear all the time.

Musical tastes:Mainly 80's music, but overall too varied to list here all at once. But my bunny-wife coined the perfect term for me.... the B side. Where I like the not-so-often played songs, or Bands that aren't "Flavour of the week."

Anything by Tony Carey's: Planet P Project, self titled album then Pink World, followed by Let's go Dancing. Christian Band Whiteheart: Anything really, but especially You're the One. REO Speedwagon: Back on the Road Again, (Funny story with this song, but i'll tell ya later...  ^^) Riding the Storm out. Bryan Ferry: Is your Love Strong Enough? Even Instrumentals like Yanni, Joe Satriani's: Crushed and Ice 9. The Cars: Dangerous Type, All I Needed, etc, etc... Rush: Mostly anything... Yes: 90215 and 9021Live. See a pattern here?

I'm also an artist, (just scribbles mainly, since I love old 80's anime and manga. Look up Bubble Gum Crisis for some 'outstanding' guitar soundtrack music. Especially a 2 guitar solo on 'Konya wah Hurricane') Has also been drawing with my 14 year old daughter every few nights with our 'Daughter and Dad' drawing time. She mainly draws MLP FIM ponies from the show, and sketched a lioness picture I am getting framed.

Would I ever perform in a band: Sadly not likely.

Pictured below is my Jackson JS11 Dinky in white. And yes, that's my Princess Luna standing protectively beside it. An 18 inch tall plush that a dear dear friend of mine sent to me when I became disabled in 2015.

(Ahh shoot, just discovered can't post links to my guitar picture, sorrys, gomen nasai ....)

Well all, that should do it for my first post, hopefully of many more. Thank you all for being so kind...  *Bows humbly*
Cheers.
Kimono Gryphon <><
1 Corinthians 15 : 1-4

Offline Ziggy75

• Good Vibes 1
  • Metal Wizard in training
« Reply #1948 on: May 06, 2019, 02:14:53 pm »
Nickname: Ziggy75
Real (full) name: Scott
Age and birthday: 44
Habitat: Planet Earth

Which guitar(s) do you own? Ibanez GRG170DX

Which guitar do you currently play on? Above

Which amp(s) do you own? Line 6 Spider 4 75 Watt Modelling Amp

How long have you been playing guitar? I've been trying for a decade, but still a beginner : P

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Rock

Who are your favorite bands? Genesis, Biffy Clyro, Florence & The Machine, so many great bands. Too many to list.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I wanted to copy great guitarists.  My favourite guitarists are Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix and Mark Knoffler.

Why do you play guitar?  The need to make music.

What are your goals for the future?  To keep on playing.
By the power of the Internet, I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #1949 on: May 06, 2019, 08:07:32 pm »
Welcome Ziggy with the Spider Amp-
Did you really jam with Weird and Gilly?  8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App