Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 418447 times)

Offline polestar

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1740 on: May 23, 2018, 11:00:44 am »
Hi, im a guitarist/ terrible songwriter but exploring that creativity outlet. Thanks

Offline Flyingvfan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1741 on: May 26, 2018, 01:57:56 am »
Perpetual beginner lefty enjoy trading/buying selling gets too.  Watching some Justin yt offerings, until I find work have to be non contributing fan of JS.  Love just strumming thing David NLG has posted too.

Offline Doonsbury

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1742 on: May 26, 2018, 02:01:02 pm »
Doonsbury
Ross
Aussie

Hard body electric. Acoustic. Semi Acoustic. Ukulele

Semi acoustic

10 watt practice amp

40 years...on & off

No particular favorites. I like all good music. Particularly like Shaddows type music.

Shaddows instrumental. Movie themes

Credence Clearwater Revival

Loved music and I couldn't afford a Piano!

Played clubs with a mate back in the 70's

To annoy my wife & the cat. No, I just enjoy it & it is relaxing

Just get good enough at the guitar so my wife will let me play it inside the house
[/quote]

Offline Ukegirl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1743 on: May 30, 2018, 04:44:59 am »
Hi from Ukegirl.
I have recently inherited a ukulele.  It has been looking at me for the past week, or I looking at it.  So started to have a play.  I came across Justine's site while looking for some lessons.   I appreciate his lessons for beginners.  Justin's easy manner and approach to playing the uke has been very helpful.  So, just learning the first few chords and as the saying goes, 'practice makes perfect'. :)
I enjoy blues and blue grass music.  I have been very impressed with some of the U-tube videos and the focus on the ukulele in some of the bluegrass bands. Great stuff.
Cheers Teresa

Offline Pick_Licker

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1744 on: May 30, 2018, 06:54:42 pm »
Justin!

Thank you so much for posting a free beginner course for those of us who want to learn, but don't want to travel to a from lessons!

Hi everyone! My name, I'm just a bit of a goof ball, so it fits my personality. I'm new to guitar, I tried to pick it up around February, but then my dad had to have a few rounds of surgery, and I had to help him recover. He's not an individual that supports the arts, unlike my mother. Anyways, things are back to normal at home, though I'm aiming to move out. My current equipment is a Rogue Concert Acoustic Guitar in Sunburst with a strap from Buckle Down, and I have an 8 pack assortment of Dunlop Tortex Tiii picks. I'll add a capo and tuner (gunge lover, so gonna be spending a lot of time in drop D) in a while, I graduated a few years ago from college, but just can seem to find a job that works (mainly, pays the rent in my city). I love the layout of these lessons, and love that there are songs after every level to attempt to play. Right now, I lost my calluses (learned to adjust the truss rod in my guitar through) and a good amount of dexterity during the time off, so I'm revisiting how to play the A,E and D chords! After adjusting the truss rod, for the first time, I was able to play the A chord yesterday, and I was able to do the E chord today! Only have the stamina for about 10 minutes at a time, but it's a good way to take a break while searching and applying for jobs. End goal is a Fender jazzmaster with the Dimarzio pick ups Kurt Cobain had in his Jaguar (with push pull pots) and to just be able to play the music I like, and maybe even work on some of my own material.

Offline matsolino

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1745 on: May 31, 2018, 10:00:46 pm »
Name: Mats
Habitat: Paris, and this year Innsbruck

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Washburn Rover travel guitar 10 gauge steel string, fun to carry everywhere and it plays well.
Vision by MSA, I got it one week ago.  It's the cheapest electric guitar on Amazon, but don't tell Her that.
It arrived more or less in tune, bridge adjusted and good to go.  No visible flaws observed by the layman.
I also got an acoustic guitar, nylon strings, made in Spain, the one I started playing chords with, thinking I might tune it to DADGAD and play some ominous tunes for fun, cause it does have a nice sound.

Which guitar do you currently play on?
Vision by MSA, it's blue, lovely, and most importantly it's the one I love to play.

Which amp(s) do you own?
Guitar Plug headphone amp, I'm surprised how well it sounds when I crank up the gain on it. I have one set of earplugs connected to it, and another set of earplugs to JustinGuitar, and off I go.

How long have you been playing guitar?
Only been playing seriously since the beginning of the year, although I did know basic chord playing before that.

Which is/are your favourite music genre(s)?
Blues and everything that derives from it, well actually, doesn't all music derive from blues?

Who are your favourite bands?
Johnny Winter who is to me the most talented blues and Texas blues player ever lived.

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
Troubles in life that I needed to escape from

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
Not yet, maybe one day if I ever have the chance and have the skills for it.

Why do you play guitar?
Troubles in life that I needed to escape from, and I'm having so much fun with it I'll hope I'll never stop

What are your goals for the future?
I would like to be able to play and sing my own blues songs someday when my skills are up to speed.

I almost forgot, thanks Justin, for being a giver, I think it is the most important lesson you could ever teach me! Thanks!

Offline DaveySpeedstar

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1746 on: June 04, 2018, 02:56:33 pm »
Blah-de-blah-de blah from about 6 pages ago

Shortly after I posted bout my pain of learning on a Tanglewood acoustic, I picked up an Epiphone G-400.
She's a beauty, both to look at and play.  My playing ability progressed almost as soon as I picked it up, and  I've progressed to Stage 4 of the learning path (on the app).

I never dreamed that learning could be so much fun!!!

Offline Snowman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1747 on: June 04, 2018, 06:21:10 pm »
Nickname: Snowman
Real (full) name: Rob
Age and birthday: 67
Habitat: UK

Old 1970s classical guitar my parents bought me when the only tutoring you could get was the 'Bert Weedon' book.   I've kept it for sentimental reasons, however the broad fretboard does make some music theory stuff simpler to see.

Yamaha F310 which has basically been the guitar I've learned with.   Sounds good, I reckon as good as:

Washburn acoustic (can't remember which model but solid top)

Yamaha Pacifica for messing around with an effects box so I can make really distorted stuff like Crazy Horse.

Yamaha SLG (silent guitar) for when I want to practise but need to keep the volume down to a minimum.

Mostly the Yamaha F310.  I've been using it through all Justin's lessons so feel kind of attached to it.

Which amp(s) do you own?

Can't remember offhand, but it's a cheap 20w one.   I don't use the Pacifica that much so can't justify upgrading the amp.

About a year and a bit.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?

Love Led Zep, Pink Floyd but folkier stuff too.   Cat Stevens was always a favourite.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?

Whatever I can make sound good.   Lean towards the blues though.

Who are your favorite bands?

Led Zep and Pink Floyd, followed closely by The Who.

Can't remember.   I wanted to play when I was a teenager but self learning was difficult with no internet and I couldn't afford professional lessons.   I retired a year ago and decided that since I now had the time I could seriously start to learn.

No.

Why do you play guitar?

I've always thought Jimmy Page was guitar God.   I was told on several occasions that I looked a bit like him in the 70s, pity I'll never be able to play like him.

Just to be able to play competently.

Offline Snowman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1748 on: June 04, 2018, 06:30:04 pm »
Further to the above,

I'd also like to say a big thank you to Justin.   He has a great way of putting over his point, and even makes complex subjects understandable, if not easy.   I've purchased a number of Justin's items and am still trying to digest the music theory.   I generally understand it but there's a lot of material to learn so I've been taking it really slow to make sure it sticks.

So thanks Justin for making this something I feel I can stick with.

Offline tony6767

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1749 on: June 07, 2018, 12:33:21 pm »

Nickname: Scarecrow
Real (full) name: Tony
Age and birthday:52
Habitat: Darwin

Which guitar(s) do you own? Maton EM225, Ibanez RG350 Electric.

Which guitar do you currently play on? Maton Acoustic

Which amp(s) do you own? Line 6 spider and  Marshall AVT 2000.

How long have you been playing guitar? Nil till i started Justin's website a year ago.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock, Pop, Blues

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Probly 70's music

Who are your favorite bands? Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Oasis

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Watching them rock star's

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No

Why do you play guitar? Enjoyment.

What are your goals for the future? Mabye play in a band.

Offline tony6767

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1750 on: June 07, 2018, 12:34:57 pm »
I agree with snowman.

Offline Mark LJE

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1751 on: June 09, 2018, 05:29:42 pm »
Hi, I am new to this site this week. Not had much time to explore yet but looking forward to diving in.

Nickname: Mark
Real (full) name: Mark
Age and birthday: 54
Habitat: UK

86 Fender Strat , 89 Squier Start, 95 Custom Strat HSS, Squier Tele Custom, Squier M77, ESP ec256p, Gibson LP 59 custom, columbus 335, PRS  SE custom, Jackson Pro Soloist. Plus others

Most of the above are used regularly although I favour the PRS for live and the others for studio work.

Which amp(s) do you own?
Marshall DSL40C, Fender Sidekick65 rvb, Blaclstar HT1r, Vox Pathfinder, Marshall 100w LB, Peavey Bandit 112 silver stripe.

About 48 years but there have been long periods when I have not played. I took a break for about 10 years which knocked back my ability a lot.

Many but not Rap

At the moment I am working on  improving my blues knowledge and skills

Too many to list.

Listening to Band’s like the Beatles, Roy Orbison, , Johnny Cash, Cliff Richard and the Shadows, later Jimi Hendrix, Page, Clapton and Especially Mark Knopfler

Yes I play in 4 bands currently but some I play keys or synth.

Why do you play guitar?
I like the expressive nature of the guitar and its wide range of moods.

To improve my playing  ability and technical knowledge.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline okie-dore

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1752 on: June 10, 2018, 11:22:00 pm »
I made a sort of template out of Lucos' question list.
To use it, just click on the "Quote" button at the top-right of this post, delete the stuff above Nickname:, and then delete the  at the end, and then fill in the areas you choose to answer.

DaveyC or okie-dore:
David W Crockett Sr:
age is 62 born 1-12-1953:
Coweta, OK:

Fender FE-135CE?

see above?

fender pratice amp?

4months

all but rapor opera?

Rock and Christian rock,and Christian?
Alot of different ones.alot are not around any more.?[/b]

My son loved Music like cI do. He passed away a year ago. and my Wife loved to hear him play. So I am trying to bring some happiness back to Her.!! ?

who would playwith a old man like me?LOL?

I played Bass years ago.Just doing this for my Wife .

To be decent and Bring a Smile to my Wifes Face. ?

Offline niteworlok

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1753 on: June 10, 2018, 11:27:30 pm »
Nickname: Niteworlok
Real (full) name: Simon Lansdell
Age and birthday: 42
Habitat: Hull UK

Epiphone Dot Archtop, Natural
Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop PRO, Honey Burst
Epiphone EJ-200CE Electro Acoustic Guitar, Vintage Sunburst
Vintage VRC800BK Resonator, Matt Black
Epiphone Les Paul Special I, Tobacco Sunburst

Vintage VRC800BK Resonator/Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop PRO, Honey Burst

Which amp(s) do you own?
Fender Mustang GT 100
Vox Venue Lead 100
I know its not an amp, but it is a mighty fine effects processor - Zoom G5n

For how long have you been playing guitar?
Started back again last May, after 25 years away from playing (I played 6 months last time)

Blues, Rock, Texas Blues, Bluegrass, Indie

Blues/Rock

Thunder, Guns n Roses, Oasis, SRV and Double Trouble

My old school art teacher, I used to jam with him and a few other lads from school after school, he was an amazing Dobro player, and used to tour the States, this time around my next door neighbour got me back into playing after I had my very first guitar stolen when I was at Uni.

I jam in a group, we call ourselves 'The Nightshift Blues'

Why do you play guitar?
I love it, I can't explain it other than I feel a kind of release from the humdrum of working and family life. I love to hear how much I am coming along every few weeks, and the fact I can take a guitar to a family/friends BBQ and just play a few songs, and at least someone starts to sing along to what I play.

I would love to be able to gig with mates, and would eventually like to become a guitar teacher/mentor, and also learn how to become a luthier.

Offline ShakeyJakey

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1754 on: June 14, 2018, 11:11:14 am »
Nickname:ShakeyJakey - But you can see that right? lol
Real (full) name:PNTS
Age and birthday:41 (nearly)
Habitat:I live in the UK in Barnsley in South Yorkshire, Its beautiful here, lots of green hills, and sheep lol, but I am very central to the town centre. So very busy, 3-4 miles in any direction and you are in the countryside! I live with my partner, 2 dogs and my parrot.

I'm not sure if I am embarrassed to say? I own a rainbow series ukulele M2511 series. Its basic, and was cheap, and yes I read reviews before I bought it, and I am a newbie, and I am also sure I will be upgrading pretty soon, but just wanted to test the water really before committing to anything major.

Mahalo Ukulele M2511

Which amp(s) do you own?
none

yet to start

Country/folk, pop, 60's, 70's 80's, 

I don't right now

Adele, Ed Shearan, Bruno Mars, Ralph Mctell,

My Junior school Head teacher, Mr Goodall! He was amazing

no
Why do you play guitar?
Just want to busk and earn money
to be good enough to busk and to make some cash

Get The Forum As A Mobile App