Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 425338 times)

Offline Agara1949

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1710 on: April 24, 2018, 06:22:55 pm »

Nickname:Agara1949
Real (full) name:Jan Kollaart
Age and birthday:68/ 8-6-1949
Habitat:Goes/ The Netherlands

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender acoustic and a ukulele

Which guitar do you currently play on? Fender

Which amp(s) do you own? Non

How long have you been playing guitar? 2 months

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Pop folk

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Not Much yet

Who are your favorite bands? Doors, Bob Dylan, Donovan, Beatles, Stones, John Denver etc

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I like to make music

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No

Why do you play guitar? I like to learn it

What are your goals for the future? To play Some songs

And thank you Justin, I bought the Beginners Course en Beginners songbook

[/quote]

Offline ericd

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1711 on: April 25, 2018, 01:00:51 am »
My name is Eric and I`m 56. I live in Minnesota,USA. I Picked up a guitar 30 years ago but life got busy and here I am now starting again. Wish I would have stuck with it because my fingers are tender and I would have been past this stage already. 8)   

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Live, Love, Play Guitar!
« Reply #1712 on: April 25, 2018, 02:00:41 am »
My name is Eric and I`m 56. I live in Minnesota,USA. I Picked up a guitar 30 years ago but life got busy and here I am now starting again. Wish I would have stuck with it because my fingers are tender and I would have been past this stage already. 8)
Hi Eric! You're in good company. I am also one that started playing a long time ago and just picked it up recently, back in October of 2017. I think it had been about 25 years since I seriously played before then. I know what you mean about the sore fingers! Still working on those calluses. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller

Offline plywood

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #1713 on: April 25, 2018, 01:01:21 pm »
Habitat: Europe

Which guitar(s) do you own?

Yamaha F310 acoustic and a Squier Strat.

Which guitar do you currently play on?

I try and practice on both of them. I started on the acoustic so have played that more, and because the strat is newer I play it more often at the moment because of the novelty factor.

Which amp(s) do you own?

A Boss Katana 50. It's almost a meme to own this with so many people recommending it. Seems like a good amp, but I play too poorly to appreciate it.

How long have you been playing guitar?

Since January 2017, which is 15 months at the time of posting.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?

A lot of music from the 90s - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, The Stone Roses, The White Stripes... that sort of thing. Recently discovered The Black Keys as well.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?

I mostly play Justin Guitar begginers songs actually, which are a mixed bag of genres really. I've discovered a few old classic this way. I never thought I'd like Johnny Cash, let alone spend hours learning his songs, but here I am.

Who are your favorite bands?

Super Furry Animals are probably my favorite band overall, in terms of years spent listening to them and the consistency of their records. I wish their reunion a couple of years ago had produced another album. Radiohead too, but I didn't really like their stuff after OK Computer.

What inspired you to start playing guitar / Why do you play guitar?

I don't know really. I think I always had it in the back of my mind but didn't act on it. My brother has played since he was a kid, so maybe that.

I do remember that around mid-2016 I started getting annoyed with the direction big-businesses seemed to be taking the technologies related to my online/electronic hobbies such as coding or playing video games. For example locking down hardware platforms more and more, games going pay-to-win, rip-off DLC and loot boxes, me getting burned out over open source, general programming churn and pointless change-for-changes-sake... I wanted some analog hobbies that didn't change so much, couldn't lock me out of my own purchases on a whim, and gave me value for money. I started working out and playing guitar instead. My github may have languished, but I've got slightly less belly fat and can play guitar really badly. Ha.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?

No.

What are your goals for the future?

To improve to the point that my son no longer asks "when are you going to start playing properly?".

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1714 on: April 25, 2018, 02:05:00 pm »
Habitat: Europe

Yamaha F310 acoustic and a Squier Strat.

I try and practice on both of them. I started on the acoustic so have played that more, and because the strat is newer I play it more often at the moment because of the novelty factor.

Which amp(s) do you own?

A Boss Katana 50. It's almost a meme to own this with so many people recommending it. Seems like a good amp, but I play too poorly to appreciate it.

Since January 2017, which is 15 months at the time of posting.

A lot of music from the 90s - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, The Stone Roses, The White Stripes... that sort of thing. Recently discovered The Black Keys as well.

I mostly play Justin Guitar begginers songs actually, which are a mixed bag of genres really. I've discovered a few old classic this way. I never thought I'd like Johnny Cash, let alone spend hours learning his songs, but here I am.

Super Furry Animals are probably my favorite band overall, in terms of years spent listening to them and the consistency of their records. I wish their reunion a couple of years ago had produced another album. Radiohead too, but I didn't really like their stuff after OK Computer.

What inspired you to start playing guitar / Why do you play guitar?

I don't know really. I think I always had it in the back of my mind but didn't act on it. My brother has played since he was a kid, so maybe that.

I do remember that around mid-2016 I started getting annoyed with the direction big-businesses seemed to be taking the technologies related to my online/electronic hobbies such as coding or playing video games. For example locking down hardware platforms more and more, games going pay-to-win, rip-off DLC and loot boxes, me getting burned out over open source, general programming churn and pointless change-for-changes-sake... I wanted some analog hobbies that didn't change so much, couldn't lock me out of my own purchases on a whim, and gave me value for money. I started working out and playing guitar instead. My github may have languished, but I've got slightly less belly fat and can play guitar really badly. Ha.

No.

To improve to the point that my son no longer asks "when are you going to start playing properly?".
Hi Plywood!
Welcome to the group. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I'm new here, and I'm still figuring out how to navigate this site.  I've been playing guitar since age 9, but I'm self-taught and don't even know the names of most of the chords I play! I hope you enjoy Justin's site as much as much as I do. Best wishes to you in your guitar playing!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1715 on: April 25, 2018, 02:09:59 pm »
Nickname:Agara1949
Real (full) name:Jan Kollaart
Age and birthday:68/ 8-6-1949
Habitat:Goes/ The Netherlands

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender acoustic and a ukulele

Which guitar do you currently play on? Fender

Which amp(s) do you own? Non

How long have you been playing guitar? 2 months

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Pop folk

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Not Much yet

Who are your favorite bands? Doors, Bob Dylan, Donovan, Beatles, Stones, John Denver etc

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I like to make music

Why do you play guitar? I like to learn it

What are your goals for the future? To play Some songs

And thank you Justin, I bought the Beginners Course en Beginners songbook
Hello,  Jan, and welcome to the group! I hope you enjoy Justin's site as much as I do.  He is a wonderful teacher.  I'm new here, and still figuring out how to navigate this site, so I hope you get this message.  Best wishes to you in your guitar playing!

Offline johnb

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1716 on: April 26, 2018, 02:15:41 pm »

Followed the topics in the template.

Hi guys, an old newbie here. I played in a group as we called it then, many years ago but then left music behind.
I am a widower now so thought I would take up guitar again, with a 50 year gap LOL.
Found Justin's lessons and and enjoying every minute. Bought the beginners book and the song book which comes tomorrow.
Really thought I would pick it up again quickly but.....NO. Its hard and fingers soft, but will press on and as its just for my own satisfaction, I can set my own pace.
Hope to join in the discussions, oh at the moment have a Fender semi acoustic with a Blackstar id code 20 amp, lovely little combination. Will buy a electric soon, still undecided.

Many thanks to Justin, watched some of the  lessons and next thing I know I bought a guitar. :)

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1717 on: April 26, 2018, 03:09:36 pm »
Followed the topics in the template.

Hi guys, an old newbie here. I played in a group as we called it then, many years ago but then left music behind.
I am a widower now so thought I would take up guitar again, with a 50 year gap LOL.
Found Justin's lessons and and enjoying every minute. Bought the beginners book and the song book which comes tomorrow.
Really thought I would pick it up again quickly but.....NO. Its hard and fingers soft, but will press on and as its just for my own satisfaction, I can set my own pace.
Hope to join in the discussions, oh at the moment have a Fender semi acoustic with a Blackstar id code 20 amp, lovely little combination. Will buy a electric soon, still undecided.

Many thanks to Justin, watched some of the  lessons and next thing I know I bought a guitar. :)
Hello Johnb!
I'm a new newbie here... I think I'm posting this in the right place.  I hadn't played in about 25 years, until I went to a concert back in October of 2017. I bought myself an electric guitar,  and have been playing ever since.  My fingers about killed me at first, but after about a month I built up the calluses again and it wasn't so bad. I thought I would be able to play my favorite songs, but since it had been so long I had forgotten everything including how to play pretty much. So it's been 6 months, and everything has come back to me and then some. I'm learning some of Justin's songs, and doing pretty well, in fact, much better than I did when I played before! I hope you enjoy Justin's site as much as I do. Welcome to the group!

Offline johnb

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1718 on: April 26, 2018, 03:56:29 pm »

Would not let me quote???
Hi Jenn, thanks for the welcome and encouragement. When I look around at what is available now to enable us to learn guitar, it is fantastic. back in my day there was little and we all just picked it up from each other. I look forward with the help of Justin's course to do as well as you. :)

Offline Roots

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1719 on: April 26, 2018, 05:37:14 pm »
Nickname: Roots
Real (full) name: Mateo
Age and birthday: 50, 1967
Habitat: Midwest, USA

Which guitar(s) do you own? Taylor Academy 12e

Which guitar do you currently play on? Taylor Academy 12e

Which amp(s) do you own? None at this time

How long have you been playing guitar? 2 months (since March-2018)

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? 80s Alternative, Rock, Outlaw Country, Acoustic Blues

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Any and all of the above

Who are your favorite bands? Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, Morrissey, Johnny Cash,

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Love of music, the challenge and reward of learning something new,

Why do you play guitar? Same reasons as inspirations listed above

What are your goals for the future? Go as far as I can go in my journey to learn this instrument, develop a solid fingerstyle aptitude, learn to read music, join up with other guitar players in my area for informal jam sessions
[/quote]

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1720 on: April 26, 2018, 10:01:08 pm »
Nickname: Roots
Real (full) name: Mateo
Age and birthday: 50, 1967
Habitat: Midwest, USA

Which guitar(s) do you own? Taylor Academy 12e

Which guitar do you currently play on? Taylor Academy 12e

Which amp(s) do you own? None at this time

How long have you been playing guitar? 2 months (since March-2018)

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? 80s Alternative, Rock, Outlaw Country, Acoustic Blues

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Any and all of the above

Who are your favorite bands? Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, Morrissey, Johnny Cash,

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Love of music, the challenge and reward of learning something new,

Why do you play guitar? Same reasons as inspirations listed above

What are your goals for the future? Go as far as I can go in my journey to learn this instrument, develop a solid fingerstyle aptitude, learn to read music, join up with other guitar players in my area for informal jam sessions
Hey, Roots!
Welcome to the group. Justin has created a wonderful site fillled with so much information that there is most likely an answer or solution to any question or problem you might enncoubter. Also, there is some awesome peer support here.
Enjoy the forum!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1721 on: April 27, 2018, 06:52:05 am »
Hello to all new members.

@ Jenn ... you don't have to personally say hi to everyone that's new here ;) ... if you do want to can I ask that you please hit the reply and not the quote button, then address the new member using the @ name-of-person format - thanks :)

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1722 on: April 27, 2018, 03:17:01 pm »
Hello to all new members.

@ Jenn ... you don't have to personally say hi to everyone that's new here ;) ... if you do want to can I ask that you please hit the reply and not the quote button, then address the new member using the @ name-of-person format - thanks :)
My apologies, I thought I was hitting the reply button. I guess not. I appreciate you letting me know, I'll refrain from posting to everyone. Thank you for letting me know

Offline Spanks

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1723 on: April 28, 2018, 07:44:59 pm »
Greetings from Nottingham! Strolled by my local guitar shop almost two weeks ago and in a moment I still deem to be madness impulsively purchased a Fender Squire and Kickstart 10w amp. I never thought I'd ever be able to play an instrument ever and to be honest in school they tried to teach us how to play the flute which I just couldn't get along with and have forgotten about trying to learn to play something for 10 years now. Well, I seem to be getting along famously with the guitar, thanks to you Justin in just under 2 weeks I now know 12 Chords, 2 strumming patterns and can play  3 songs with A D and E so I believe a big thank you is in order for the wonderful resources that I still can't believe you provide for free!

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline Vanz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1724 on: May 04, 2018, 05:30:11 pm »
Nickname: Vanz
Real (full) name: Hans
Age and birthday: 26.11.1957 (60)
Habitat:The Netherlands

Yamaha Pacifica 112V. This was one recommended by many people including Justin. It's a black one. Looking really cool.. 8)

This Yamaha

Which amp(s) do you own?
A Nux Frontline 30. What a beast  :). Waking up the neighbors.. :P

I have played many, many moons ago.. At the age of 16,17. On an old Spanish guitar with nylon strings..

Blues is my favorite and then the electric blues rock (like Walter Trout plays it). And prog music is the music I usually listen to on my iPod..

Well, just a beginner again. But Neil Young is on top of my list..

Walter Trout Band, King King, Monti Amundson, Junior Mack, Kenny Wayne Sheppard etc. etc. And in prog old names like Yes and Genesis. More of this time Kaipa, Spock's Beard, Riverside etc. I love a lot of music (even dance is sometimes nice..)

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
Instead of buying a motorcycle in the midlife crisis I bought an electric guitar and amplifier... hahaha..

No.

Why do you play guitar?
Because it is fun and very relaxing after a busy work day.

learn to play the guitar a bit without getting frustrated and I thnk the lessons from Justin are helping a lot! So THANK YOU JUSTIN!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App