Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 437007 times)

Offline wpotere

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1695 on: April 11, 2018, 07:12:06 am »
Nickname: Will
Real (full) name: Will Potere
Age and birthday: 49
Habitat: Vicenza Italy

Which guitar(s) do you own? Ovation Balladeer (70's model), Yamaha F335, Dean Evo XM

Which guitar do you currently play on? All

Which amp(s) do you own?Lanier 10Watt and a Crate XM

How long have you been playing guitar? Off and on for many years.  Just now started to really dedicate time to it.

Who are your favorite bands? Favourite solo artist (always was, always will be) I don't really have one specifc although of recent, I have liked Collective Soul.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I played trumpet in bad and have always admired the guitar.  I love playing music (tinkered on Piano as well) and decided this was a great instrument to play with others or solo.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? When I was a kid I was in a jazz band as well as marching and orchestra.

Why do you play guitar? Again, I love music and wanted to play somthing that sounded great solo or with others.

What are your goals for the future? My goal is to simply enjoy it and get better at it.

Offline marto65

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1696 on: April 13, 2018, 11:00:56 pm »
Nickname: Bri
Real (full) name: Brian
Age and birthday: December 26
Habitat: From Toronto Ontario Canada now living in Newark Nottingham

Which guitar(s) do you own? 1965 Eko  Dreadnaught  2016 Fender Affinity Strat Made in Indonesia

Which guitar do you currently play on? Strat

Which amp(s) do you own? The worst am  Frontman  10G looking at Vox Modelling Amp

How long have you been playing guitar? Trying is the best word at least a year on and off

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Blues Classic Rock, Pink Floyd ( That's genre onto itself )

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? learning now but really focusing on the blues

Who are your favorite bands? So  many Alter Bridge Maiden Priest, David Gilmour Pink Floyd Lords of Black

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Just walked by a second hand shop seen this Affinity in a Box with the Amp it was brand new £99 quid , I said you cannot go wrong

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
One jam in my life in 1984 in a basement in Toronto stoned drunk I grabbed a bass  friends grabbed what they could and at 1 am in the morning amps blasting God Save the Queen
Why do you play guitar? always loved guitar  stress relief keeping the brain going

What are your goals for the future? Just to get better to be honest, I like playing to backing tracks etc, I have no aspirations of filling Wembly Stadium lol

Offline NightFallTech

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1697 on: April 14, 2018, 08:34:41 am »
Recently started playing guitar with Justin's site as my main guide.
I've had an old dreadnought I never played for years, but brought a cheap electric and started to learn in October (about 7 months ago)... probably practice 20-30 minutes most days, 39 years old with a busy job and 2 small children, so a slow learner.

Very much a rank beginner, almost entirely learnt from this site so far.

So far i can generally play open chords (A, Asus2, Asus4, Am, B7, C, CM7, Cadd9, D, Dm, D7, Dsus2, Dsus4,  G, G6, G7, E, E7, Em, Em7, Fmaj7) and change to them fast enough to play a song, I can play barre F, B, Bb, generally handle E shape Barre chords, but not change to them quickly enough to use in a song, can play power chords, but they often sound off, especially if trying to slide between them. can finger pick basic patterns (although i use finger pads rather than nails), almost do travis picking for dust in the wind and strum a few rhythms (DDUUDU for example), can play pentatonic scale in 1st position at around 80bpm in 8th notes with alternate picking, and major scale in first position at close to 100bpm in quarter notes (but only just started trying to use the metronome recently... harder than i expected), Absolutely don't understand how people can play scales so FAST! Can play a few simple Riffs.

Focusing on being able to change to F & B fast enough to play songs that use them and get closer to air changes for my chords (some are pretty close to placing fingers simultaneously, little finger on B7 is a struggle to place simultaneously), Keen to learn how to sound 'more musical'

Not built like a guitarist, placing 4 fingers on the low E string on frets 1,2,3,4 is a stretch to place the little finger well, can play very basic chords without looking and the fretboard sometimes.

Nickname: NightFallTech
Real (full) name: Damian Brooks
Age and birthday: 39 - 28 July
Habitat: New Zealand, but living in Melbourne, Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own?

Yamaha APX 600
Yamaha EG112C (probably sell)
Yamaha F310P (must sell)
Ibanez RG421AHM
Crafter HTC1000-SEQ (must sell)
Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Which guitar do you currently play on?

Yamaha APX600 - 95% of the time
Ibanez RG421AHM

Which amp(s) do you own?

Yamaha beginner Amp
Boss Katana 50

How long have you been playing guitar?

Since October 2017 - About 7 months

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?

Rock, Classical, 80's, Easy Listening, 90's Alternative.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?

Whatever i can vaguely attempt at this point

Who are your favorite bands?

Crowded House
Disturbed
Simon and Garfunkel
Foo Fighters
Smashing Pumpkins
Neil Diamond
Bach
Jeff Buckley
Faith no more
Guns and Roses
Dire Straits
The Eagles.

What inspired you to start playing guitar?

Needing an evening hobby with young children otherwise taking quite a bit of time.

Nope.

Why do you play guitar?

To learn something new.

What are your goals for the future?

Be able to sound musical.

Who is your favorite guitarist? (i dunno if there allready is a topic about this)

um... slash maybe?, or possibly Steve Vai... or maybe Glenn Frey.

Offline Edwin010

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1698 on: April 17, 2018, 01:33:23 pm »
Nickname: Edwin010
Real (full) name: Edwin
Age and birthday: December 17. 46
Habitat: Netherlands - Rotterdam

Which guitar(s) do you own? Cort MR 710F / Samick SVE-130L
Which guitar do you currently play on? Both

Which amp(s) do you own? Park G10R

How long have you been playing guitar? Trying on and of for 25 years now, still a beginner.  :o

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Funk, Pop, Blues, Classic Rock,

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Classic rock

Who are your favorite bands? Prince!, Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Mayer, BB King, Eric Clapton, etc.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? See Prince playing his guitar, but always loved the instrument since i was a very little boy.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No, but do some jamming once a week with a relative since couple of months.

Why do you play guitar? Love the feeling u get when i get 'into' the music once trying becomes somewhat like a real song.

What are your goals for the future? Just play and get that awesome feeling over and over, and maybe be able to do some soloing to tracks myself. For now i just want to understand what i'm trying to do. (theory etc).

Offline Rob7

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1699 on: April 19, 2018, 01:04:00 pm »
Nickname:
Rob

Habitat:
England

Yamaha FG820

Yamaha FG820

For how long have you been playing guitar?

I started about two years ago learning A, D and E from a book but didn't really have a practice schedule. Eventually found Justin guitars website and started to have a go of the things in that although I did the one minute changes wrong as I initially just did them as moving between them without strumming. Found that I struggled with the traditional fingering for A so started to use the one that Justin recommends which helped massively. Also, at the beginning I didn't know about pick thickness and so just bought the Tortex 0.88mm ones and so struggled with strumming as they are a bit thick for a beginner, eventually bought some 0.60mm ones and found it better and then eventually decided that I should go with the 0.38mm Jim Dunlop Nylon ones and work my way up. Got the beginners book and songbook a year ago but unfortunately things got in the way so not really played for the last half a year. Going to have more time soon (albeit temporarily) so going to make sure I get back at it. On stage 1 and got my changes in the 40's (did start to get in the 50's but it's been a while) and trying to learn three little birds (starting at 60bpm and then work my way up to 74bpm). Played for the first time the other day in several months and I loved it!

Rock, country and many more.

Jack Johnson, Coldplay, Nickelback, The Fray, Tim McGraw, Needtobreathe, Paramore and many more.

I got the idea of learning to play the guitar about 10 years ago after being inspired by Jack Johnson songs but it was a while before I did anything about it.

Why do you play guitar?
Because it's fun and I like music.

My goal is just to play for fun and eventually get barre chords down so I can play Jack Johnsons songs. I want to play many more songs than just his but that is what inspired me to start learning the guitar.

A long way to go but with perseverance I know I'll get there.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Live, Love, Play Guitar!
« Reply #1700 on: April 20, 2018, 12:46:44 am »
Nickname: Edwin010
Real (full) name: Edwin
Age and birthday: December 17. 46
Habitat: Netherlands - Rotterdam

Which guitar(s) do you own? Cort MR 710F / Samick SVE-130L
Which guitar do you currently play on? Both

Which amp(s) do you own? Park G10R

How long have you been playing guitar? Trying on and of for 25 years now, still a beginner.  :o

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Funk, Pop, Blues, Classic Rock,

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Classic rock

Who are your favorite bands? Prince!, Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Mayer, BB King, Eric Clapton, etc.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? See Prince playing his guitar, but always loved the instrument since i was a very little boy.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No, but do some jamming once a week with a relative since couple of months.

Why do you play guitar? Love the feeling u get when i get 'into' the music once trying becomes somewhat like a real song.

What are your goals for the future? Just play and get that awesome feeling over and over, and maybe be able to do some soloing to tracks myself. For now i just want to understand what i'm trying to do. (theory etc).
Hi Edwin!
Still leaning how to navigate this site I am trying to welcome me fellow newbies. I'm self-taught and I've been playing on and off since age 9, but I don't know half the names of the chords I play.  I can figure out some songs by ear, but know little else. That said, I hope you enjoy Justin's site as much as I am!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1701 on: April 20, 2018, 12:53:23 am »
Nickname: Bri
Real (full) name: Brian
Age and birthday: December 26
Habitat: From Toronto Ontario Canada now living in Newark Nottingham

Which guitar(s) do you own? 1965 Eko  Dreadnaught  2016 Fender Affinity Strat Made in Indonesia

Which guitar do you currently play on? Strat

Which amp(s) do you own? The worst am  Frontman  10G looking at Vox Modelling Amp

How long have you been playing guitar? Trying is the best word at least a year on and off

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Blues Classic Rock, Pink Floyd ( That's genre onto itself )

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? learning now but really focusing on the blues

Who are your favorite bands? So  many Alter Bridge Maiden Priest, David Gilmour Pink Floyd Lords of Black

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Just walked by a second hand shop seen this Affinity in a Box with the Amp it was brand new £99 quid , I said you cannot go wrong

One jam in my life in 1984 in a basement in Toronto stoned drunk I grabbed a bass  friends grabbed what they could and at 1 am in the morning amps blasting God Save the Queen
Why do you play guitar? always loved guitar  stress relief keeping the brain going

What are your goals for the future? Just to get better to be honest, I like playing to backing tracks etc, I have no aspirations of filling Wembly Stadium lol
Hi!
I'm trying to welcome me fellow newbies to the group.  I'm self-taught and don't even know the names of most of the chords I play! I can, however, figure out some songs by ear. Been playing on and off since age 9. Hope you like the site as much as I do.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1702 on: April 20, 2018, 12:59:17 am »
Hi all, just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself, i'm Ian, I decided to try and learn guitar about 6 months ago, i've always wanted to, and in fact had a strat copy years ago but sold it to finance being young,  so on my 52nd birthday I bought an Epiphone studio lt100 les Paul, mainly because it was in cherry sunburst,  and I know NOTHING ☺ but I had read a bit and watched a few of Justin's videos, and now, well, i'm just plain awful, but I know a hell of a lot more than i did a while ago! I realise it's going to be a long  hard road but I am currently  enjoying it, i've bought Practical music theory and confused myself but I shall persevere! In fact, i'm looking forward to it! Justin's videos help, especially the one about strap locks from grolsch beer bottles! They were 4 for 6 quid at Asda so now my strap is on securely I shall have to buy another guitar to avoid wasting the other 2 beers!
Hi Dogmax! I wanted to try to reach out to my fellow newbies. I've been playing on and off since age 9, but just recently started playing again (October 2017). I don't know theory and barely know the names of most of the chords I play! Hope you enjoy  the group!

Offline bspvmd

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1703 on: April 20, 2018, 11:05:09 pm »
Nickname: bspvmd
Real (full) name: Brad Stuart
Age and birthday: 47 ; July 7
Habitat: Pennsylvania, USA

Washburn Woodcraft Zebrawood Acoustic, PRS Custom 24 SE, Ibanez RG470, BC Rich Warlock Platinum MIJ

All except BC Rich (has a broken neck  :( )

Which amp(s) do you own?
Carvin V3m

Occasionally in the 80s and 90s, learning anew for 3 months

Progressive metal and rock

Only the tunes I've learned so far from Justinguitar!

Opeth, Katatonia, Dream Theater, Epica, Seventh Wonder, Yes, Rush, Floyd

I've always been a big music fan and it just seemed like a natural progression.

Not right now. I'm a fairly experienced bassist and played in bands as a gigging "weekend warrior" from high school and college through my mid-thirties but stopped after I started a family. Now that my kids are teenagers they are showing interest in learning instruments, so I'm trying to shake off the rust on bass and start fresh with guitar. During my gigging days I played 1 song live on guitar during a show where all the band members switched instruments!

Why do you play guitar?
It's a load of fun to play music, especially with others.

I'd love to start playing in a band again within the next year or two---on bass, guitar or wherever the need is!

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1704 on: April 20, 2018, 11:15:07 pm »

Nickname: bspvmd
Real (full) name: Brad Stuart
Age and birthday: 47 ; July 7
Habitat: Pennsylvania, USA

Washburn Woodcraft Zebrawood Acoustic, PRS Custom 24 SE, Ibanez RG470, BC Rich Warlock Platinum MIJ

All except BC Rich (has a broken neck  :( )

Which amp(s) do you own?
Carvin V3m

Occasionally in the 80s and 90s, learning anew for 3 months

Progressive metal and rock

Only the tunes I've learned so far from Justinguitar!

Opeth, Katatonia, Dream Theater, Epica, Seventh Wonder, Yes, Rush, Floyd

I've always been a big music fan and it just seemed like a natural progression.

Not right now. I'm a fairly experienced bassist and played in bands as a gigging "weekend warrior" from high school and college through my mid-thirties but stopped after I started a family. Now that my kids are teenagers they are showing interest in learning instruments, so I'm trying to shake off the rust on bass and start fresh with guitar. During my gigging days I played 1 song live on guitar during a show where all the band members switched instruments!

Why do you play guitar?
It's a load of fun to play music, especially with others.

I'd love to start playing in a band again within the next year or two---on bass, guitar or wherever the need is!

Hi Brad, greetings to a fellow newbie. Great to see another Dream Theater fan amongst us! Hope you enjoy the forum.

Offline bspvmd

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1705 on: April 21, 2018, 12:39:34 pm »
Hi Jenn, nope didn't receive the message. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #1706 on: April 21, 2018, 01:22:04 pm »

Hi Brad, greetings to a fellow newbie. Great to see another Dream Theater fan amongst us! Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hey Brad, you're welcome! That's a beautiful guitar you've got. Love the green! I had mentioned in my comment that it is great to see another Dream Theater fan amongst the group; They are the band that inspired me to pick up the guitar again!

Offline SnowflakeMama

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1707 on: April 22, 2018, 02:53:02 am »
Nickname: Snowflake, and a couple of small people around here call me "Mom" a lot.  ;)
Real (full) name: Selena Laing
Age and birthday: 41 (almost!) and April 25th
Habitat: Northern BC, Canada

Which guitar(s) do you own? Art & Lutherie Legacy Concert Hall with Cutaway in Bourbon Burst

Same as above ^^^

Which amp(s) do you own? None... yet!

How long have you been playing guitar?  Two days... my fingertips are both numb and on fire.  ;D

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?  Honestly, just about anything.  I don't even know what I want to play for myself yet.  I love it all and I don't discriminate!

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? I'm just muddling through the first few chords still, but I'm into country, folk, rock, and some pop, so I imagine I'll head in those directions first and see where I end up.

Who are your favorite bands?  This is like asking me to pick a favorite child!  Currently on my playlist is the Allman Brothers, Wilson Pickett, Springsteen, Miranda Lambert, Kings of Leon, Journey, Carole King, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Ramones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Clash, Nirvana, Green Day, Beastie Boys, and.... dozens more, too many to list.  Does anyone have just a short list of favorites??

What inspired you to start playing guitar?  I played as a kid (really wish I hadn't stopped!) but I didn't start thinking about it again until last year when I was doing photos for a local jam session.  I enjoyed photographing them, but what I really wanted was to join them!  Then last month I wandered into what I think is the Best Music Shop Ever, and found my soul mate in a beautiful little Art & Lutherie.  My husband ordered one in for my birthday, it came in yesterday, and here I am!

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No, and I don't intend to, aside from a couple of local groups and friends that just get together to jam now and then.  I'm more of a play around the campfire kinda person.  This is just for me, wherever it goes (or doesn't) is just fine by me.

Why do you play guitar? I'm into a lot of creative outlets, but I haven't done anything musical in ages.  This just feels like the next creative step for me.

What are your goals for the future? Honestly, I just want to get my fingertips in shape for this!  Never thought I'd be hopeful for calluses... Beyond that, to keep working toward playing feeling natural and smooth, my hands knowing what they're supposed to do, and being able to play some songs I like.  Nothing Earth shattering!  :D

Offline Zoltan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1708 on: April 22, 2018, 04:56:05 pm »
Nickname: Zoltan
Real (full) name: Zoltán Kocsis (I'm Hungarian)
Age and birthday: 1965
Habitat: Hungary

- I just bought, a low end Fender 125, A classical Ibanez, (and a Selmer tenor sax)

Fender 125

Which amp(s) do you own? -

How long have you been playing guitar?
- I've played classical guitar for about 10 years in my childhood, and Started playing sax at the age of 16)

- Jazz, Indian music, but recently I listen to The Doors, Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix. As A teenager I did not understand what they were singing about as I couldn't speak English, know their lyrics have become important for me.

- Go with the course ( I do the beginner part)

Apart from jazz players, and their bands there are just too many to write them down. Now I try to learn more about new bands, For example, I like  Ed Sheeran.

- I want to sing and able to accompany my favorite songs,

As a sax player, in my twenties.

Why do you play guitar?
- I don't know yet. I like it. Especially the versatility of it.

- Able to sing and accompany, pop, rock,  folk songs. I have already a list of them, Following the course, Actually, I want to arrive to transcribing.
At the moment I struggle with slowing down with the advance. As I played classical guitar for a long time, I could do any chords from the first day, but with my right hand I stared from zero zero ( with a pick).
I hope in the near future I can link in a video well!

Offline bspvmd

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1709 on: April 22, 2018, 10:18:21 pm »

Hey Brad, you're welcome! That's a beautiful guitar you've got. Love the green! I had mentioned in my comment that it is great to see another Dream Theater fan amongst the group; They are the band that inspired me to pick up the guitar again!

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

I sure do wish that green guitar was mine, it's a beauty! (I think it belongs to the OP.) I'd like to post a pic of my new guitar baby, but as a new member, I can't yet...

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App