Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 448584 times)

ejc46

Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2007, 08:46:34 pm »
This is a note to justinguitar. I'm 46 and of limited means due to a divorce. One item I managed to keep out of all the stuff I had acquired over the past 27 years of marriage was my guitar. I've taken lessons in the past, but usually ran into time constraints and excuses to let my playing fall by the wayside. One thing I never lost, however was the thrill of hearing myself play a simple chord or two. I've just begun using your website to learn more about playing and it has brought joy into my life when I've really needed it. I thought you deserved to know this. I like participating in actions that give meaning to this adventure we all share. Thanks and Best Regards to all involved,

ejc46

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 154
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2007, 10:04:35 pm »
no matter who you are or what you are dealing with, for everybody here, playing guitar is a great escape!

welcome aboard
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

eloquence

« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2007, 04:35:52 pm »
Nickname:
Real (full) name: David
Age and birthday: 20 20th may 1986  
Habitat: Antwerp, Belgium

Which guitar(s) do you own?

Fender DG-4 acoustic
Fender '62 Reissue Stratocaster
Stagg: Cheap classical guitar

Which guitar do you currently play on?

All my guitars

Which amp(s) do you own?

Marshall 1984 JCM 800 4010 Combo

How long have you been playing guitar?

4 years

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?

I like it all: Jazz, Blues, Rock, Funk, Classic, oldskool metal

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?

eeeuhm

Who are your favorite bands?

RHCP, Neil Young, Bob Dylan and The Band, The Beatles, Silvermount Zion, The Great Lake Swimmers, The Velvet underground. All Frank Zappa's stuff. The Notwist, The Postal Service, The Mars Volta, Clap your hands say yeah, Explosions in the sky ... and many, many others.. Justin Sandercoe (really nice stuffon myspace!)

What inspired you to start playing guitar?

The classic way: I saw some video footage of Jimi Hendrix. Later that day I saw some video footage of John Frusciante playing Under the Bridge acoustic...
It was a TV show about the guitar players.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?

Yes I play in a band called New Risng Sun

Why do you play guitar?

Because I want to express myself as good as I can. And I want to be able to play as good as I can. I don't wanna end up regretting that I didn't had the discipline to do it.  I am young, I should absorb as much stuff as possible :)

What are your goals for the future?

Study at the Guitar Institue in London, meet some nice folks, explore different countries... Make music with lots of people. See some nice gigs. Having a great time all the time hehe

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 154
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2007, 09:53:12 pm »
welcome fellow Vlaming :D
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Zajeb

« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2007, 08:39:51 pm »
Nickname:Zajeb but in rl Leki
Real (full) name:Nemanja Lekic
Age and birthday:21
Habitat:Was born in Kosovo Mitrovica but as i am a Serb i had 2 flee when i was a kid... so Belgrade now :D

Stagg   SW203LH-BK (didnt just wanna leav stagg so i looked it up :) even if it is cheap i love here :))

SW203LH-BK

Which amp(s) do you own?
non i play pld faithfull acoustic

year and 4 months but i knew all the chords before i got the guitar caus i was special kind of a freak :)

Rock
actualy all i can get my hands on i have a crack at, from old national music to some things that realy arent made for acoustic; but ex-yu rock the most
Some u never heard of :D...maybe anly in Kusturica movies
I was asking 2 start playing a guitar when i was 10 cas i realy loved it and hated the fluet we had 2 play in musics class... but mom didnt wanna hear about it if i dont lett here sine me up 2 dance classes also, and as i was a stupid kid i fought it was gay :D
nope i jamed a fue times with my friends in a bomb shalter
Why do you play guitar?
It relaxes me
to gett as good as i can and finish the medical faculty...so i can have more time to play :D

PS. i just wanted to sat thx 2 justin for the lessons and for the link to www.informationclearinghouse.info so i see there are some people that get the truth out there

aging_bimbo

« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2007, 06:18:23 am »
Nickname: Aging Bimbo
Real (full) name: Miss Bimbo
Age and birthday: 1961 model
Habitat: Hong Kong Island (although Lamma Island is my spiritual home  http://www.lamma.com.hk/)

Which guitar(s) do you own? Acoustic Taylor 214-E, 'lectric Squier Strat out of the cheapo starter pack

Which guitar do you currently play on? Mainly the Taylor, altho it doesn't sound so good since I put the extra light strings on in an attempt to make it easier to play barre chords.

Which amp(s) do you own? Fender 15G out of the pack

How long have you been playing guitar? 18 months

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Any and all

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Not so much a question of genre as what I can play, which isn't much. Country (Jolene - strumming, wish I could work out the picking but it's rather rapid and not uncomplicated, Folsom Prison Blues - kind of, Me and Bobby McGee, With Tomorrow by Gene Clarke), rock (Wish You Were Here, Knocking on Heaven's Door, Hey Joe, Passenger), blues (12-bar shuffle), funk (opening bars to Play that Funky Music), rock again (Highway to Hell rhythm part), folk (It's Too Late), Neil Young (he's a genre by himself - Heart of Gold - thanks, Justin!). Working on Rebel Rebel, would be working on Carla Bruni's Quelqu'un M'a Dit if I could play a barre chord - got the picking pattern nailed, struggling with Love Will Tear Us Apart as covered by Nouvelle Vague, not even attempting to struggle with Anything by Martina Topley-Bird, planning to not attempt to even struggle with an acoustic version of Buzzcocks' Ever Fallen in Love....? Can't find a tab for Ultravox (John Foxx incarnation) Dangerous Rhythm or The Wild, the Beautiful and the Damned or I'd be not attempting to struggle with those. To the despair of my teacher who would like me to be able to play one song through to the end before starting on something else.

Who are your favorite bands? Bowie, Stooges, Love, Will Oldham, Iron & Wine, Chilli Peppers, Peter Tosh, Beck, The Doonicans (kind of punky, celtic folky, put out one EP in the early80s, my brother played bouzouki, fine band, should have been huge!), and Hawkwind.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Had a vision of myself as Joan Baez. Had bought a guitar centuries ago and learnt three chords, made my fingers hurt so much I couldn't play it for weeks and then never picked it up again for years until I found myself with time on my hands after resigning from my god-awful job and trying to think of an alternative career path. Happened to see an ad for lessons from a local guitar god. Tragically it might have been the fact that I thought he was rather handsome that swung it! He teaches Tai Chi Qi Gong in Oz now, so there's a Justin parallel for you.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No, way too crap, although I did sing in a band at uni, called Dangerous Nonsense (I was a one-gig wonder).

Why do you play guitar? It annoys the cat. Actually I find it rather disconcerting that she'll listen to any kind of awful screeching guitar noise on the stereo but runs and hides in the cupboard if I so much as stretch my hand in the direction of my guitar. Guess she's my most objective critic!

What are your goals for the future? Learn to play and sing a handful of songs well enough not to torture the audience too greatly at an open mike night.

slashfan

« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2007, 06:52:53 am »
Nickname: slashfan
Real (full) name: Rick Daniels
Age and birthday: 30 2-16-77
Habitat: Upstate New York (USA)

Jackson JS20, Stagg Les Paul copy, 80s Charvel (by Jackson) and one no ones ever heard of a mid 60s Avanti made by Hoyer in Germany
Js20 and the Stagg
Which amp(s) do you own?
Crate G600 half stack
2 years
new and old rock and metal
same as above
Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Guns 'N'Roses, Metallica, Pantera, and Velvet Revolver
i injured my back 8 years ago and as it got worse i ran out of things i could do while standing. the guitar i can play while sitting. and it fit because i've always loved music.
unfortunatly i don't see that happening
Why do you play guitar?
same as above
keep getting better

Alerion

« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2007, 08:34:00 am »
Nickname: Alerion
Real (full) name: Patrick Stippinger
Age and birthday: 22 ( 30-01-85 )
Habitat:Vienna, Austria

Yamaha Compass Series Steel String Acoustic
Epiphone SG 400 Pitch Black
and some sort of nylon string classical...

The SG and the Steel String, the nylon when it's nearer than the others :D

Which amp(s) do you own?
Line 6 Spider III 15

For how long have you been playing guitar?
Well started at the age of 12 but had long breaks in between and now I play again for maybe a year or so

Rock and Metal... most genres ;)

Well... how to describe that? I guess I play like a lot of style, I like to play blues sometimes then straight forward rock, Grunge, Metal...

Hm that's hard... I like Pearl Jam, Creed, Alter Bridge, Linkin Park, Skillet, Green Day, well I could go on forever

Well I love music, I write own songs and I want to be able to play them ;)

Yes we're just starting to play together - as for the serious band - apart from that I'm playing in a church band ;)

Why do you play guitar?
Because I like the instrument. I was playing drums for some time but it just wasn't what I wanted to dig into, maybe also beacause I want to be able to sing with my instrument (Yes I know there's singing drummers, but...)

Getting better, individually and with my band and then... we'll see ;)

SRVforever

« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2007, 01:05:54 pm »
Nickname:SRVforever
Real (full) name:Wayne
Age and birthday:32 30,nov
Habitat:Cheltenham UK

Fender Std Strat Sunburst(Mexican - my standard of playing doesn't warrent a US one!)
Yamaha SG200
Hondo Cheepo acoustic
Samick Mandolin ( for when I cannot suppress the folk!)

The Strat

Which amp(s) do you own?
VOX AD15VT valvetronix modeling amp
I use to have a 50Watt Torque amp but I swapped it for the mandolin

err 16 years on and off!

You gotta love the Blues, classic rock, some prog rock,  and a sprinkling of folk

Blues

SRV, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Fairport Convention

Because I couldn't hold in the sound any longer!

Yes 2 bands when I first started playing - would like to be in / start another.

Why do you play guitar?

It fun! gives you an amazing buzz, and sometimes it sounds good!!

What are your goals for the future?[/quote]

Live Life! Also would like to form/join a band.

Offline Rodrigo

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Stuff
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2007, 12:57:04 pm »
Nickname: I just put my name
Real (full) name: Rodrigo Fernandes
Age and birthday: 16
Habitat: Portugal

Which guitar(s) do you own? Now I own one acoustic Alhambra manufactor, but i´m locking for a electric one.

Which guitar do you currently play on? My acoustic and my friend electric.

How long have you been playing guitar? I play for 2 months ( i known that is a short time but im really impressed with the things i can allready do)

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Blues, Rock and some portuguese musics (but their are particular hard ones)

Who are your favorite bands? Metallica, Bon Jovi, Good Charlotte, Iron Maiden, Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses...

What inspired you to start playing guitar? well because i allways dream about being a guitarist.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Not really, but in the future i hope i'll be in one.

Why do you play guitar? I love the solos

What are your goals for the future? Play guitar like slash . lolol .

Cozza

« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2007, 08:26:38 pm »
Hello Justin and fellow guitarists

My name is Cara (You can call me Cozza, my nickname). I live in Staffordshire and I am a computing student at Wolverhampton University.
My interests include chocolate (like Justin, so I hear!), computers, art, sci-fi, and listening to music. I am a big Green Day fan, and whilst I was searching YouTube I came across one of Justin's tutorials for American idiot. So I researched some more and found my way here. I have no previous experience of music, I was rubbish in my music lessons at school. My friend loved music from as early as I can remember he could play almost any intrument and he was in the process of working towards a degree in music technology. Sadly, he died in Feb 2006 at the age of 16 (I  was 17 last year)

I don't have enough money for a guitar at the moment but I am studying the theory side of things and saving up.

I look forward to learning from you and getting to know you guys. It would make my day if you said hi to me, Justin, honestly!  :lol:  :D

Cozza xx

Desko

« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2007, 12:59:50 am »
Nickname: Desko
Real (full) name: Rawley N. Roebuck
Age and birthday: 16; December 14 1990
Habitat: Chattanooga TN, but from Anchorage Alaska so no southernness habits at all.

Which guitar(s) do you own?  Hamer Vector, the most awesome guitar on the planet.

Which guitar do you currently play on?  Hamer Vector

Which amp(s) do you own? Some "Crate" Practice amp

How long have you been playing guitar? About 3 weeks...

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Power Metal; Metal; 70's Disco; Techno; some Classic Rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?  Metal

Who are your favorite bands? Dragonforce, Metallica (mostly older stuff), Tenacious D,  Bee Gees

What inspired you to start playing guitar?  Dragonforce, they're awesome shredding killed my entire family by exploding their brains out of their pores

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No, but I have a freind who plays drums, so if he would get his drums into a playable area then we could be a band any time.

Why do you play guitar? Because it's awesome, and fun, and awesome.

What are your goals for the future?  To have the ability to play guitar as fast as Dragonforce.
[/i]

Adny93

« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2007, 03:24:39 am »
Nickname: Adny93
Real (full) name:Adnan Raul Valdes (Am Half Indian)
Age and birthday:14
Habitat:Mexico

Gib Epiphone (i really dunno the model, it dosent say any where)

Gib Epiphone

Which amp(s) do you own?

Ibanez IBZ10G

3 Years

Hard Rock, Rock, Glam Metal, Folk Metal, Power Metal

Glam And Power

Helloween, Ratt, Rhapsody, Guns N Roses, Skid Row, Tesla, Van Halen

Watching Guitar Player, and love to music

Yeah, am playing this saturday lol (saturday 19)

Why do you play guitar?

Cause i express my self, and i have fun, i kill boredom, i and just like it

Playin Guitar in a band (dosent need to be the mos famous) but most of all, have fun playing on it

Your favorite guitarist?
Steve Vai mostley

pickNhand

« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2007, 06:52:44 pm »
Nickname:pickNhand
Real (full) name:Adam
Age and birthday:28
Habitat:Woodstock GA

Fender Vintage American Strat (Inherited from my father who passed away)
Schecter S-1 Elite
Peavey Vortex
Jay Turser Jazz Guitar
Alavarez Acoustic

I mostly play on my new Schecter and the Acoustic, but I occasionally pull out the Strat.

Which amp(s) do you own?
Fender Princeton Chorus (Inherited from my father as well)
VOX DA5

On and extremely off for about 14 years (going to make it stick this time around).

Rock, Blues, Folk

Rock

Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Smashing Pumpkins, Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Iron & Wine, etc.

Both my father and step-father were guitar players so I was around music and bands since I was born.
I guess you can say I was hooked from birth.

Not yet, but eventually I hope.

Why do you play guitar?
It is a complete blast and I have such a love for music!

Enjoy life, have fun, and eventually write music and songs that will touch the lives of others and live on forever!!

Paul

« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2007, 10:19:39 pm »
Nickname: Paul
Real (full) name: Paul
Age and birthday: 22
Habitat: London, UK

Which guitar(s) do you own? ESP Ltd DV8-R, ESP LTD EX-400, Yamaha Pacifica 012, Lamaq Acoustic.

Which guitar do you currently play on? ESP Ltd DV8-R and Lamaq Acoustic

Which amp(s) do you own? Marshall MG15 (xx--xx, I know), but I have a Roland Cube-60 on it's way to me at some point.

How long have you been playing guitar? 5 months.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Metal/Hard Rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Trying to play metal at the moment and just playing whatever else Justin tells me to.

Who are your favorite bands? At the moment it would be Megadeth, Metallica, Alice in Chains, Iron Maiden.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I was playing Guitar Hero and I considered that my time could be better spent trying to learn the real guitar.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Nope - hopefully in the future though!

Why do you play guitar? It feels sexy to picture myself as a guitar hero.

What are your goals for the future?[/quote] Be able to learn songs by ear. Join a band.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App