Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 530217 times)

Helen and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1005 on: December 12, 2014, 02:33:17 am »
Real (full) name: Tosh Stuart
Age and birthday: 41 - January 13, 1973
Habitat: Arizona native; moved to Indiana in July, 2014

Which guitar(s) do you own? Schecter S-1 Elite Diamond Series

Which amp(s) do you own? Fender Mustang II

How long have you been playing guitar? About 5 months

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Country and Classic Rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Right now it's all in Justin's beginners song book. Hopefully some day I can emphasize in country, rock, maybe blues

Who are your favorite bands? Bruce Springsteen, Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, other classic rock like the Stones, Hendrix, Zeppelin.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I've always wanted to.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No, but I would like to

Why do you play guitar? I like using my brain for something other than my work. I also enjoy the creative outlet.

What are your goals for the future? Eventually I would like to play with others. Maybe in a band
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline Boobook

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #1006 on: December 18, 2014, 07:40:16 am »
Hi Everyone,
I've been away from the guitar and the forum for a couple of years, back now and I feel I should re-introduce myself and say Hello

Real (full) name: Anna
Age and birthday: 43
Habitat: Not far from Brisbane, sunny Queensland

Which guitar(s) do you own? Tanglewood acoustic

Which guitar do you currently play on?  the Tanglewood

How long have you been playing guitar? About a month this time round. About a year last time (worked through most of the beginners course) but not much seems to have stuck in my head and my fingers. Doing a lot of relearning and learning from scratch now!

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Indie rock/pop, esoteric percussion, maybe a bit of thumping hard house for something different. Oh, and elegant, intricate fingerstyle guitar.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?  I'm still at the early chord progressions and simple stuff stage

Who are your favorite bands? James. The Stone Roses. Billy Bragg. Jesus Jones. For something more recent, The Jezabels or Florence and the Machine. For percussion you can't go past Greg Sheehan and Utungan Percussion.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Listening to music and wanting to be a  part of it, not just a spectator

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Nope

Why do you play guitar? see answer above

What are your goals for the future? I'd love to inspire my 4 year old daughter into music. Also just be able to play well enough for my own enjoyment, to be able to create those tingle moments  :).

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #1007 on: December 18, 2014, 09:54:38 am »
Well I just realised looking at this thread that I've been on here for well over a year now, made lots of posts but never updated this one so here goes:-

Real (full) name: Jason Ross-Collins
Age and birthday: 44 - July 1970
Habitat: Forest of Dean, Gloucester UK now but originally from North Warwickshire UK.

Which guitar(s) do you own? Yamaha FG700MS and Yamaha Pacifica 112V Silver - and my original acoustic a Stagg of some description.

Which amp(s) do you own? Fender Mustang I v2... although I really don't play my electric enough.

How long have you been playing guitar? Well I started in November 2013.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Indie, Rock .... actually there aren't many genres I don't like.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Well up until recently most of it was from Justin's beginners song book but feeling ever so slightly more competent I'm now finding I can stretch out to play some of the songs that appeal to me.

Who are your favorite bands? Killers, Radiohead, Manic Street Preachers, Depeche Mode all long time favourites and at the more modern end currently like listening to Imagine Dragons, Passenger, Ed Sheeran.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Well I never learnt an instrument at school and I always wanted to. My wife - very musical and plays Clarinet - bought me a cheap guitar back in 2002. No Justin then and with first baby arriving no time so it lay the corner of the room and then the garage for the best part of 11 years. A friend on reaching 40 decided he wanted to learn guitar and I though why don't I give it another go....found Justin and the rest is history.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No but I'd certainly like to meet and play with others.

Why do you play guitar? On one hand because I really like music and always wanted to but thought it too hard. What I've found in recent years is that continued persistence really does get  you to where you want to be.

What are your goals for the future? To consolidate what I've learnt, play in a live situation even if just with friends and then start work on the IM course.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline pipsickle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #1008 on: December 18, 2014, 11:08:47 am »
Real (full) name: Pippa
Age and birthday: 34
Habitat: London

Which guitar(s) do you own? Cort L100O

Which amp(s) do you own? None

How long have you been playing guitar? Started September 2013

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Americana in its various guises

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Like Rossco it has mainly been Justin’s beginner’s songbook, but lately I have started learning some of my favourite songs.

Who are your favorite bands? Wilco, the Jayhawks, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, the Autumn Defense, Punch Brothers, Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings, the Seldom Scene, Tony Rice, Julian Lage and Chris Eldridge. I’ve latterly been getting a bit into Bill Frisell and that jazz/Americana crossover territory.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I was on maternity leave and was getting a bit bored. I wanted to find an activity that I could do alongside looking after a tiny baby (reading didn’t work!) and I love music so… guitar!

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No.

Why do you play guitar?  I love playing and singing some of my favourite songs. Making music rather than only consuming it feels very satisfying.

What are your goals for the future? To get better at playing in jams, do that more and finish the IM at some point. Learn lots more songs!

Offline HesGone

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1009 on: December 19, 2014, 08:25:59 pm »

Which guitar(s) do you own? Aria dreadnought style acoustic. Lace pickups "Huntington"....Picture a blue strat with Humbuckers and an off-kilter-looking headstock.

Which guitar do you currently play on? Mostly the acoustic

How long have you been playing guitar? I have owned my guitar for 10 years.. I took lessons for a few months..learned a couple songs. Was not dedicated to it. two years later I broke a string. I bought new strings and immediately broke the new g string. did not do really anything with the guitar for years until about a year and a half ago.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? I like music in all genres. I don't like every artist in all genres.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Folk, Rock, Blues.

Who are your favorite bands? ....Grateful Dead, The Smiths, Black Flag, Mac Demarco, John Fahey, Albert King, Neil Young, Melvins, The Lovin' Spoonful, Led Zeppelin, Modest Mouse, Crosby Stills and Nash, Miles Davis, Pentangle, Wu-Tang Clan, Bob Dylan, Claude Debussy, Pixies, Black Sabbath.....

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Music.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?No.

Why do you play guitar?It is fun and I want to play music.

What are your goals for the future? identify my weaknesses. Improve my playing. Finish IM Foundation. Learn more songs. Write songs. Sing songs while playing the guitar (!!!) Perform Live.

Offline Punty

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1010 on: December 26, 2014, 10:49:47 am »

Nickname:Punty
Real (full) name: Ron Punt
Age and birthday:51
Habitat:USA but please don't hold it against me

Which guitar(s) do you own?  Fender Stratocaster Nitro

Which amp(s) do you own? Fender

How long have you been playing guitar?  2 weeks

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock /Blues/Jazz

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?  More like want to Play   Rock

Who are your favorite bands? Tough question I like most.   Beatles, Ramones, SRV, The Outlaws, Skynyrd, AC/DC, The Clash, Volbeat, Pantera, Chuck Berry, Miles Davis, BB King The Stones, Pink Floyd. Yeah Im all over the place

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Rehabilitation after surgery

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No

Why do you play guitar?I love Music and I always wanted to learn and figured it was a great way to help with my rehab

Grateful  I found this site,
"P"
"I want to Be the Person My Dog Believes I Am"

Offline roncoss-online

• Good Vibes 1
  • Self-taught keyboard player now learning guitar!
    • RonCross-Online
« Reply #1011 on: December 27, 2014, 06:34:35 am »
Nickname:Ron
Real (full) name:Ron Cross
Age and birthday:50 / 6-5-64
Habitat: Usa

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender Acoustics FA-100 (I felt really professional typing that out, lol)

Which guitar do you currently play on? Same, it's my first guitar

Which amp(s) do you own? none

How long have you been playing guitar? Just started, complete beginner

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? I love all kinds of music. I listen to a lot of Gospel/Christian music, jazz, R&B/Neo-Soul. I really appreciate anything that sounds good to me though.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? I'm too new to have a genre yet, lol!

Who are your favorite bands? I don't really have favorites that stand out yet, but as far as Acoustic guitar I like George Benson, Earl Klugh and oddly enough, James Taylor.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I play keyboard now (self-taught). I've always been attracted to Acoustic Guitar though. I love the freedom of it. You can take it anywhere, pick it up and just play. No "equipment" needed. I can sit on my sofa with my legs up and play while I watch tv- I can't do any of that with a keyboard. Plus I just love the beautiful sound of Acoustic Guitar.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?I play keys in the church band, but I don't play guitar anywhere. Still very new.

Why do you play guitar? In addition to everything I said above I really just wanted to add another instrument to my skill set. But for me it needed to have all the solo performance ability that keys offers. Acoustic guitar takes everything great about keyboards and goes a step further to offer complete unplugged, play anywhere freedom.

What are your goals for the future?My girlfriend is excited that I'm learning guitar and can't wait for me to become good enough to play a song for her, so that's my first goal. :) Long term I'd like to actually be better at guitar than I am on keys currently. I love Finger Style and I'd like to become good at that. I'd like to get good enough to do solo performances where I can just stand up and play an acoustic version of a song or sing and accompany myself. I'd also like to eventually start bringing it to church and switching between keys and guitar when the song works. I'm one of these guys who is "pretty good" at a lot of stuff but not amazing at any one thing. It would be great if I could really excel at this instrument to a level I haven't reached with keys, singing or drums.
[/quote]
Ron Cross

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #1012 on: January 08, 2015, 01:10:20 am »
Nickname:
Real (full) name: Moray
Age and birthday: 32 and I never give out my birthday!
Habitat:Scotland

Which guitar(s) do you own? American Standard Strat, plus some cheap classical thing

Which guitar do you currently play on? Strat.

Which amp(s) do you own? A little Marshall practise amp

How long have you been playing guitar? I've owned the classical thing since I was ~13, but never really played until several years later!

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?Rock/Pop/EDM, although I'll listen to most things.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?Rock/Pop

Who are your favorite bands? Don't really have any favourites, as my current Spotify playlist will testify to!

What inspired you to start playing guitar? It looked cool...

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Nope.

Why do you play guitar? See two questions above..

What are your goals for the future? Sound cool?

Offline s_bonnewell

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1013 on: January 11, 2015, 04:15:01 pm »
Nickname: Bonny
Real (full) name: Si
Age and birthday: 1980 baby. September the 8th

Habitat:London GB

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Fender Bullet Strat

Which guitar do you currently play on?
Fender Bullet Strat

Which amp(s) do you own?
Amplitube on IPhone with the iRig HD connector

How long have you been playing guitar?
Absolute beginner after a long awaited love to learn :)

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
Rock and Blues by far

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
I like Rythem Blues style but just learning the chords... Can't help but strum the chords into a rythum... Only on chord D at moment so a long journey ahead

Who are your favorite bands?
Coldplay, Oasis, Beatles, Kinks, Status quo, ZZ Top, Rolling Stones, Ocean Colour Scene, Verve to name a few of a large lost :)

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
I just LOVE IT!!

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
Never have. I like to just Chill.

Why do you play guitar?
Calms me like meditation.

What are your goals for the future?
my goal is to always betters self at any level and to learn new things and ways of playing my favoured styles

Offline jimtoolman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1014 on: January 12, 2015, 05:18:54 am »

Nickname: jimtoolman
Real (full) name: jim
Age and birthday: 45
Habitat: south central kentucky usa

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender CD60E

Which guitar do you currently play on? same

Which amp(s) do you own? Marshall fx15

How long have you been playing guitar? 5 years

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? country and southern rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? country

Who are your favorite bands? CCR, Kid Rock, Guns n Roses, Lynard Skynard

What inspired you to start playing guitar? A local guitar shop owner.

Why do you play guitar? I enjoy being able to make music that sounds good to me.

What are your goals for the future? I would like to be able to play with others, not necessarily in a band, but just to jam around the campfire or in the backyard.
[/quote]

I would like to thank Justin for continuing to work on this site. His lessons have helped me to fulfill a childhood dream of playing guitar. I was 39 when I picked up my sons guitar and started to pick strings. It was a very difficult couple of years before I could play songs the anyone could enjoy listening to. Thank you for that Justin. I recommend your site to anyone who asks me about learning guitar.

I was wondering who the lady singer is who sings on your videos? I have watched several videos featuring her singing along with Justin playing, but I don't believe I have ever heard him introduce her of say who she is. I searched the website and the forums and I cannot find out who she is. Is that intentional or did I just happen to miss the video where Justin introduced her?

Thanks,

Jim

Offline lunarscope

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • So many positive waves - maybe we can't lose !
« Reply #1015 on: January 17, 2015, 04:04:45 pm »
Nickname: lunarscope
Real (full) name: Paul
Age and birthday: December 1965
Habitat: Denbighshire, Wales

Which guitar(s) do you own?
Ibanez Talman TCM50E electroacoustic

Which guitar do you currently play on?
TCM50E

Which amp(s) do you own?

How long have you been playing guitar?
Started January 2015

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
All sorts from pop to punk.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
Just strumming at the moment

Who are your favorite bands?
Radiohead, Depeche Mode, Sex Pistols, Siouxsie and thee Banshees, Kaiser Chiefs.

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
Always wanted to be able to create music but can't sing well and previously never had the patience to learn an instrument properly.
Tried learning from a book when in my teens but lost heart when couldn't form Barr chords. This was mainly due to having a cheap nylon-strung acoustic with a very high action. I'm now determined to learn properly from the very start of Justin's course.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No but would like to when good enough.

Why do you play guitar?

What are your goals for the future? Complete the Beginner's course before my 50th birthday in 11 months time.  Have a mate (self-taught ex-drummer and brilliant singer) who is learning in secret with me. Aim is to surprise friends and family with our new skills. Hopefully at a BBQ or jam night in about six months.
Guitars: Ibanez TCM50E Talman; Cort Z42 Zenon; Squier Stratocaster.
Gear: Fender Mustang I v2; Kustom KLA10.
Road case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=36565.0
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/lunarscope

Offline jazz625

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1016 on: January 21, 2015, 01:05:35 pm »
Hello.

My name (well, pretend name) is jazz625, as in the TV Series from the 60's.
I'm new to Guitar, but not to music.  I'm a Saxophone player for the past 25years.

But, I would like to learn Guitar, partly becuase my son started, and partly because I always wanted to learn.  Thats what got me to this site, which looks super good!

Being a Saxophone player, one of my main goals is to be able to solo on Guitar.  I started looking at the scales section (I noted the comment that most people try to aviod this section, I'm the other way round!)

Also, I would love to be able to play some solo jazz tunes, something for myself really, not to perform.

Anyway, thats me.

Offline Blaze Moyer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1017 on: January 26, 2015, 07:00:28 am »
Nickname: Blaze
Real (full) name:Deborah
Age and birthday:51
Habitat: USA (Virginia)

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender, Ovation (2), Takamine G Series

Which guitar do you currently play on? Takamine

Which amp(s) do you own? None

How long have you been playing guitar? I brought my first guitar when I was 13 for 5 dollars at a yard sale.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Pop, Country,  & Blues

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Pop and Blues

Who are your favorite bands? No favorite

What inspired you to start playing guitar?  I have just always wanted to play the guitar.

Why do you play guitar? to relax and to have fun

What are your goals for the future? To be come a better player. My future goal for 2015 is to play about 10 holiday songs for my family this Christmas (2015).

Offline Danzai!

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1018 on: February 04, 2015, 12:28:16 pm »
Age and birthday: 43, 12th Feb
Habitat: Reading, UK

Which guitar(s) do you own? None yet. Don’t know enough to say what’s good and bad, so gonna let Justin lead me down the Yamaha Pacifica route. Looks like the 112V might be a good starting point. Not a massive fan of the Strat shape though, so will probably be looking for something else if I get good enough.

Which amp(s) do you own? Nothing again. Toyed with the idea of getting a starter bundle, but gonna throw a few more quid in the guitar and accessories direction first, and worry about getting a practice amp when I’m capable of playing something worth amplifying. Might need some advice on this further down the line.

How long have you been playing guitar? Never have in anger. Played bass in a band for three songs back in the 6th form, but it wasn’t even plugged in, and I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, so I don’t suppose that counts.

Which is/are your favourite music genre(s)? Rock & Metal. Loved the glam / hard rock of the 80s, but have got into heavier stuff since then (not too heavy), as well as classic rock from the 70’s. I’ve even developed a bit of a liking for country rock lately.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Nothing yet, but it’s gonna have to rock!

Who are your favorite bands? AC/DC, (old) GNR, Volbeat, Wildhearts, Manics, Hanoi Rocks, Y&T, Tesla, Black Stone Cherry, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Blackberry Smoke, Electric River (check ‘em out if you’ve never heard ‘em – awesome band!)

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Probably a mid-life crisis, but I’ve wanted to for 25 years or more now. Just too damn lazy to get round to it.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No. Had dreams of doing so in my youth, but doesn’t everyone?

Why do you play guitar? Just always wanted to. I mean, is there anything cooler? Plus, it’s about time I got developed an interest outside work and away from the telly.

What are your goals for the future? Just to get good. Rhythm guitar would be nice, but lead is where it’s at. No real ambitions to play in a band, but would like to be good enough to jam with a few mates, and see where it goes.

Offline Paisley

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1019 on: February 07, 2015, 08:13:13 am »
Hi everyone!

Nickname: Paisley
Real (full) name: Sylwia
Age and birthday: 17, 30th October
Habitat: Poland

Which guitar(s) do you own? Vintage V100 BB, Fuerstenberg C140A

Which guitar do you currently play on? same as above

Which amp(s) do you own? Orange Crush 12L

How long have you been playing guitar? Hard to say, 1,5 year with very long breaks...

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? blues, rock, funk

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? blues, rock, funk, pop

Who are your favorite bands? Aerosmith, Prince, Alice Cooper, Europe and many others

What inspired you to start playing guitar? mr. Joe Perry

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Sadly no

Why do you play guitar? I love music

What are your goals for the future? Be a better guitarist, of course! And maybe start a band, who knows...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:39:16 am by Paisley »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App