Author Topic: Howdy From A Visually Impaired Farmer  (Read 116 times)

Online BlindFarmer

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Howdy From A Visually Impaired Farmer
« on: August 01, 2021, 06:14:36 pm »
Howdy from a small Virginia farm. I am here because I want to learn to play the guitar as a hobby. The goal is to have fun and enjoy music. A tiny bit about me….I was born legally blind with Optic Atrophy, thus my eyes and brain are fine but my patches cables are not. A challenge for me will be learning how to work along with the videos. I am very near sighted. This means I have the iPad close to my face. That makes holding a chunk of wood with metal vibrating things on it a bit hard. My first task is figuring out a way to look, listen, and play as I can not see the screen at distance. This is going to be a fun journey. I am very grateful and thankful to Justin Guitar for providing his instruction for free on his website. That means a lot to me as I live on a fixed income. As I type this, I have been going through the pre-learning stuff such as tuning the guitar, how to hold a pick, etc. I will start my first chord soon. I realize this will be a long journey. This is not a race and it will require work on my part. There will be good and not as good days, however…that is just part of life. With the help of the teaching website and this forum, I think I can pull this off. Oh, I would like to touch on accessibility here. I would like to request a different way of using the anti-spam caphcha. Could one be made available that provides an audio option or accessibility cookie?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Howdy From A Visually Impaired Farmer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 08:17:24 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Your predicament with trying to watch the videos up close and play sound awkward so I wish you good luck with that. I wish you good luck with the entire learning path.
The folk here are friendly and welcoming so if you have questions or run into issues please just ask and someone will pop along to help when / if they can.
Regards
Richard

:)

Online BlindFarmer

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 08:50:08 pm »
Thank you very much for the welcome. I am excited about learning.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 198
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 09:15:12 pm »
Welcome back Justin’s wonderful community, you’ve chosen wisely!
Remember that no questions are silly or too trivial, anything that you want to ask is going to get an answer. It’s a community that values all of its members, have fun learning to play guitar and ask about anything you need to know to help.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:53:05 pm by DarrellW »

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 210
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 09:30:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum and good vibes on taking up the challenge. With today's technology I would imagine learning will difficult but achievable. Everyone will be willing to help you on that journey, so just shout up when you encounter problems and we will do our utmost and our best to help.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 87
« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:50:01 am »
Hi there and welcome BF, I think you will like it here and I wish you all the best in your journey. It's going to be sometimes exhausting and overwhelming adventure but really worth the final feeling of accomplishment whenever you reach your milestone. All the best and I wish you good luck.

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 204
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:58:38 am »
Welcome to the forum Farmer  :)

I imagine your listening skills  are pretty well honed. This will be a big bonus. You'll find that once you see the info you need eg chord charts, finger placement etc, you'll develop eyes in the tips of your fingertips. By that I mean that you'll quickly learn to feel where you are on the fret and the strings without the need to locate visually. Your hearing will be an asset for it will immediately tell you if you're in the sweet spot.

We're here to assist and encourage you in any way we can.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 187
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:33:48 am »
The good news is, as soon as you've got some chords down, you don't need to see to your guitar at all ;)

Would it help If I created a document with some chord boxes on a big size for, like 4 per page?
A,D,E,C,G,Am,Em,etc...
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Get The Forum As A Mobile App