Author Topic: RE-001 • Recommended General Guitar Book  (Read 19041 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:00:33 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

John Smith

Re: RE-001 • Recommended General Guitar Book
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:11:06 pm »
Questions...

Do you recommend Hal Leonard Essential Elements For Guitar as a great guitar method book?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:46:26 pm »
nope - never heard of it!!!

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Fuzzel

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »
What kind of level do you need your theory to be at to tackle "The Advancing Guitarist" I really want to read it but i'm not sure if i know enough theory for it not to all go over my head.

Rezn8r

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 08:27:11 am »
I would say if you can play the major scales in the CAGED positions, it's enough to start with the exercises in the first chapter -- in fact, it's probably the perfect time to start with the single string exercises.  There are suggestions for which exercises to focus on for players who aren't so advanced.

There's enough material in the book to last a lifetime, so as long as you do the exercises you can really thoroughly before moving on, I don't think you need massive amounts of theory when you start to gain a benefit from it.  It's just really not something you can work through at the rate of a chapter a day, or week, or even month in a lot of parts.  And don't expect to learn any cool things to play for anyone from this book -- it's really about getting to know the guitar and learning about musical harmony etc. so you can play other things better, and find your own voice.

Fuzzel

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 04:53:49 pm »
Thanks,
I'll give it a try then and see how it goes :).

Rezn8r

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 05:10:04 pm »
Good luck, then... I'll add that the learning curve is steep, and be prepared to do all the work -- the book just points you in the direction of what you should try and discover.  I think you can look up the necessary theory as you go; for example, you will be very familiar with modes after the first chapter, so expect it to take some time and go to other (web) sources for the information the book sometimes points you towards.  I've barely scratched the surface of this book myself, but I can see what it's doing for my understanding of the guitar, such as it is, already.

RooteOne

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 04:24:18 pm »
Questions...
Here comes my first… hum, or may be I've been here before… sure, but its time to know what I know, so:

Hello Justin and all future and confirmed guitar players,
as a self-teaching guitar player and an all method addict I'm not, it seems, going anywhere. 30 years as a beginner it's quite something. What I miss in this web jungle is some way of testing my knowledge. Do you think your theory books have enough exercises to do it and to help me to improve. I'm talking here about the Worksheets of your theory books cause I've been trough many theoretical stuff but always doubting and double cheking, argh… Or I just move to the subway and do some reality check! Actually  there's any in my town ::)
Thanks and have a nice time in your Tasmania.

----------------
Now playing: John Fahey - March! for Martin Luther King
via FoxyTunes

Chris12

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 09:32:57 pm »
Hi Justin and all,

Thanks Justin for all your useful info. I'm also wondering if you or anyone knows where I can find an online teacher for Samba Pa Ti. I've been looking all over the internet for weeks, and I REALLY would like to learn this. I picked up a few bars from watching people and tabs, but it's not really doable for me.

aging_bimbo

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 04:42:09 am »
Hi Justin and all,

Thanks Justin for all your useful info. I'm also wondering if you or anyone knows where I can find an online teacher for Samba Pa Ti. I've been looking all over the internet for weeks, and I REALLY would like to learn this. I picked up a few bars from watching people and tabs, but it's not really doable for me.

Suggest you post this in the "General Questions" part of the forum, as it's unlikely to be seen by many people in this section.

sigmiester

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 07:21:56 am »
I've been learning guitar for a little over a year now,but I've decided to take it realy serious now.I noticed you recomended A Modern Method For Guitar. It was exactly what i was looking for but i noticed i can buy all 3 volumes for about the same price as the first volume with a dvd rom.  My question is should i get all 3 in one because it looks like a better deal or just get volume 1 buy itself with the dvd rom because being able to see someone explain the lessons would be more convenient.
Thanks in advance.

juindjmj

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 11:01:55 pm »
I know this isn't the right place to ask this, but I think is the best one.
Where is the recommended CD area?.. the old web page had this area and the new one doesn't.
For me this area was very important!!
Anyone remember which albums were there?
thanks!!! :)

Sl8sh

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 02:04:51 am »
What other books do you suggest other than A Modern Method for Guitar? 

BTW, I'm currently in book 1 of that series and enjoying the challenge.  Do you also recommend their supplemental books?  If you check out the Berklee Press website you'll know what I'm referring too if you click the link for guitar books. 

SalA

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 01:25:11 am »
Very excited to receive Modern Method for Guitar for a Christmas gift. However, when I saw it recommended on this site I thought it would be a good book for a beginning guitar player. When I first opened it and started to flip through the first few pages I felt as if I had come late to class. I saw very little in the way of explanation. Does anyone who has used this volume have any suggestions about how to attack this book for someone who has never studied theory or read music?

Sl8sh

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 12:25:26 am »
I guess I should have said that being able to read music should have been a previous requirement, but don't worry SalA. 

I can help you with the book.  The numbers in the circles beneath the notes refer to the string.  So the low E string is string #6, A String is string #5, D string is string # 4, G String is String #3, B String is String #2 and the high E String is String #1.  The numbers without circles above the notes indicate what fret number you put or place you're finger on.  Do you know what all your open strings look like on standard notation?  If not, do some searching on the web and see if that helps.  Does my explanation help you in being able to read the notes in the book? 

And if you have questions about music theory, don't hesitate to ask around in the forum.  Everyone struggles with theory.     

The only reason why I know this is I have a slight advantage.  Guitar is a secondary instrument and I've been through every poorly constructed instructional book in the library system at home.  Not only that, I taught myself from a young age so.  And my primary instrument is French Horn.  So I feel guilty and out of place because reading notes for me is easy.  Sometimes it's hard to tell someone else how to read music when you've done it for years. 

Offline skwirl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 10:42:14 pm »
Two things.  First , I've just gotten to the end of the second modern method volume and I was looking for some sight reading material so I got the 125 classical songs book that you recommended.  However, the book has tons of slurs that go up a major fifth or more so I was wondering how you approached that.  I.e. Did you just slide all over the place (which is tough to do while sight reading) or did you just ignore slurs like that and pick them on different string in position?

Second did it really take you a year for all three volumes?  The first two took me about a year alone and the third one looks denser than the other two combined.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App