Author Topic: RO-012 • Fast Legato Rock Technique 2  (Read 25963 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:00:47 pm by close2u »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

cheesus

Re: RO-012 • Fast Legato Rock Technique 2
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:18:12 am »
Should the legato be done with alternate picking or doesn't it really matter ?

Luk

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 01:34:10 pm »
I have problem with legato technique, because my little finger doesn't flick off but slides down and it sounds quietly. I tried to flick harder and stronger but I can't do this as it should be. What do I have to do to eliminate this mistake.
I'm from Poland, so my english isn't pretty good but I think you'll understand me ; )

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:08:06 pm »
cheesus - doesn't really matter - but I try and stick to alternate, just to keep a system!

Luk - have you been doing the Finger Gym Exercise (TE-001)??? that's what will help!

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

and3nlol

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 10:31:31 pm »
great lesson m8.
i got a problem though, regarding the flick off sequence for the top 2 strings (E + A). I am not sure how position my left hand (the thumb especially).
The only way manage to pull it off is by pressing my wrist towards the neck, and to have my thumb in a quite awkward positiong (like crooked around the bottom of the neck. I get that problem generally as well sometimes (mostly when doing flick offs on the top strings.) I guess I have been doing wrong from the beginning....  So I was wondering if u could post some pictures of how to hold the left hand thumb, or perhaps even a small lesson this, as i know it is vital to hold your hand correctly while doing fast solos(and i suspect this is a quite common problem)
here you can see what i do wrong:
http://img368.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00493lu6.jpg
http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00491nm8.jpg

anyway thank you for your lessons justing, they are awesome

PS. I will post this in lesson suggestions as well.

Sly

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:52:06 pm »
OK here we go...

Just want to know if I am wiered ... hmmm dont answer that lol.....

been trying this for about a week so its still early days... taking it fairly easy..... i find it hard doing hamer ons going down the scale and flick offs going up.... is this normal?? anyone else find this tooo??

Fuzzel

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 12:01:12 am »
and3nlol:
You need to change your posture, get the guitar into a position where you can confortably strech with out bending you wrist  and where you can have you thumb in the middle of the neck (or just below the middle) and right in the middle of a stretch. You probably want to look into classical posture, but this vid may solve your problems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWchttp://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?action=post;topic=10508.0;num_replies=5
Post replyg&feature=channel_page

Sly

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 01:41:21 am »
Ahhh contortions for guitar... know it well .... thanks buddy will check it out.

ilovemusic

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 02:56:08 am »
is it true that with alternative picking using your wrist instead of thumb, it'll develop speed?

Fuzzel

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:23:51 pm »
is it true that with alternative picking using your wrist instead of thumb, it'll develop speed?
Why oh why are all these questions so random?

In general yes, alternate picking with your wrist will be faster than with you thumb.
But really for everything but the most exetreme picking you thumb is adequate. For example Eric Johnson uses his thumb, but Shawn Lane uses his wrist.

Offline woodwater

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 03:44:44 pm »
Questions...

Hi Justin
I`m looking for Soloing lessons but I only see Blue solos on the lesson index?!
Can you direct me to rock/pop solo section if there is one?

thanks

Fuzzel

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 07:11:10 pm »

Hi Justin
I`m looking for Soloing lessons but I only see Blue solos on the lesson index?!
Can you direct me to rock/pop solo section if there is one?

thanks
He's only done a series on blues soloing, but the basic concepts of all soloing are covered in the course and you'd do well to work your way through it. By the end of it the way forward will be pretty clear :)

jimmynitcher

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 09:58:44 am »
What I find incredibly hard is to mute the string above at the same time, it feels very unnatural to have the tip of my index finger placed against the one above.

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 10:12:55 am »
Hi, I have a couple of questions.  The first is do I keep my thumb in the same position all the way through the scale? I can do this if I position it level with the 4th fret, then when I get to the thinnest 2 strings my thumb's at a 45% angle instead of vertical, which makes the hammer ons and flick offs a bit harder, but I think having to move the thumb laterally across the back of the neck during the scale would be harder still.

The second question is when you're using a metronome I assume most of us would play three notes per beat, rather than playing 8th notes or 16th notes since the scale is divided into threes, but is there a good way of spacing out the three notes equally?

Thanks

CelticSun

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 12:04:38 pm »
Hi all, it is very difficult to mute the other strings while cycling or performing legato technique, I made a lot of exercises but I cannot correct this. I mean that other strings vibrate causing a bad noise, (and getting me very confused about what I played) when I am performing a cycling   :( can you suggest me something to improve all this? And can you please suggest me something to go faster?

I have really really made a lot of exercises, especially hammer off and pull off, and it goes fine when I play a legato on just one string at once, because i can mute the others strings well, not having to worry about cycling. Actually I can even speed up well

But the problem is when I try to cycle. Therefore I cannot go as fast as Justin with legato cycling. Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad English, ciao from Torino, italy

ps: ive just bought the Practical music theory and it is very very well done, rock on Justin!

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 05:38:29 am »
When I'm doing the hammer ons starting in the g scale note D my baby finger will not arch and I can't get a really hard hammer on it lies flat.  Cycling through the rest of the scale seems to get easier though.  How can I overcome the low E string blues?

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 04:32:00 am »
Came across this vid about speed and this makes perfect sense. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SudUINXFM4Q

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

mvk20

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 07:20:06 pm »
How fast you all figure that you should be able to play the three-note scale picking all notes (from RO-011) before moving on to this lesson/exercise?

squirrel

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 09:38:17 pm »
hi guys,

using 3nps string higher up 12th fret and above should I continue with suggested fingering or change, guitar is 22 fret and i find it difficult with the same fingering for the lower frets.

Any problems with changing figering or should I just tough it out  :P

cheers
ian

Offline skwirl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 08:08:42 am »
So I notice that in the video, Justin always "flicks off" down (as in towards the floor).  Does it matter which way you go?  I always flick off up and I am worried that this may cause problems in the future.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 02:50:03 pm »
Yes.  You want to flick off towards the floor.  There is more strength and control in that direction.

Here is a lesson that introduces hammer ons and flick offs:

http://justinguitar.com/en/IM-154-LegatoScales.php

Second half of this lesson goes through pull offs (oops flick offs).

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-001-FingerGym.php

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline skwirl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 11:05:34 pm »
Damn, spent a lot of time practicing the wrong way and actually was getting pretty fast and even.  Oh well, guess I'll fix my technique so I don't hit a wall down the line.

Thanks for the reply.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App