Author Topic: ST-301 • Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)  (Read 34637 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:33:59 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Danimal

Re: ST-301 • Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 06:22:45 am »
When you slide your fingers during the third lesson do you hit the notes again with your right hand on the way back up.  I am having trouble on the way back.  I can get it to sound ok on the way down.

ccollins0325

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:18:22 pm »
When you slide your fingers during the third lesson do you hit the notes again with your right hand on the way back up.  I am having trouble on the way back.  I can get it to sound ok on the way down.

Danimal, That is correct. Strum the two strings/slide up. Then, strum the two strings/slide down.

Chris

ernieballesp06

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:43:58 am »
hello, thanks for the lesson its definitely helping.  However, i have the official tab book, and what it has tabs out just doesnt sound right.   but, what your playing sounds correct, but the cords dont sound right for me.  i've been playing for years, but i only know how to read tabs.

in the first lesson is this basicaly what your playing
                   d  u   u  d                  u d    d
I--------------3--3--3--3--------------3-3---3-----I
I--------------3--3--3--3--------------3-3---3-----I
I--------------0--0--0--0--0----------0-0---0-----I
I-------0-2---2--2--2--2-----2--0---0-0---0-----I
I-0h2--------2--2--2--2--------------2-2---2-----I
I----------------------------------------3-3---3--3-I

d  u   u                 u  d   u  d    u  d   u
I--------------3--3--3--------------3--3--3------3--3--3-----I
I--------------3--3--3--------------3--3--3------3--3--3-----I
I--------------0--0--0--------------2--2--2------2--2--2-----I
I-------0-2---2--2--2--2-0-------2--2--2--0---2--2--2-----I
I-0h2--------2--2--2-------2-0--------------------------------I
I-----------------------------------------------------------------I

d  u   u                 u  d   u  d    u  d   u
I--------------3--3--3--------------3--3--3------3--3--3----------3------------I
I--------------3--3--3--------------3--3--3------3--3--3----------3------------I
I--------------0--0--0--------------2--2--2------2--2--2----------0------------I
I-------0-2---2--2--2--2-0-------2--2--2--0---2--2--2----------0------------I
I-0h2--------2--2--2-------2-0-----------------------------0h2--2-------------I
I----------------------------------------------------------------------3-------------I

this is the best tabs i could make in 10 minutes... but are the cords correct? in your video its sounds fine.  but on my guitar they sound a little wrong.  I'm assuming the tuning is supposed to be standard E you know 440.  thats what im tuned to.  I just want to know if i got it right ya know.....

Offline BrooklynRyan

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:06:24 am »
Quick question at the into of the intro.  In going from the A7sus4 chord the last strum is really just and accent on the open A string.  But then do you hammer on the A 5th second fret or pluck the strung?  In all the other parts of the into justin hammers on the A string second fret (i.e. B note) but in seemed from the video that the last one before going into the G chord Justin plucked.  I.E.  Open 5th pluck, 5th string second fret pluck, open 5th pluck, 6th String 3 fret pluck.  Help.

Offline lorella

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 02:40:58 pm »
Hallo everyone!  I'm a beginner but even if I like this song I'm trying to play it. I can't the exact strumming for final G chord in the intro ( video n.1): is there someone to say me? Thanks a lot

Offline bobwatt67

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
  • Learning guitar is a never ending journey.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 07:50:24 am »
Hi dudes
I've been learning this song which I must admit I know from a lot of years back and I seem to be finding a lot of problems with the slide part in the opening solo
I've played slides many a time but not two strings at once.

Bob
BC started October 2014.

Been playing on and off for about 20 years.
Just starting to learn properly now.

Offline Curtis Suter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 04:44:06 pm »
I am a returning guitar player and am working on mastering, ha ha "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd.

in the opening solo there is a whole note prebend on the B string fifth fret that is then picked and released then pulled off to the third fret.  I can do this fairly well although the full bend is tough on an acoustic.  However, my problem is that when I do the pulloff my left hand third finger is accidentally plucking the open G string during the release or pulloff and of course this sounds poorly.  Any tips or suggestions on this difficult but beautiful sounding bend, release, pulloff?

Oh, I know there are other ways to play it but was just working on this technique.
Thanks

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 08:21:02 pm »
Can you do it cleanly on an electric? I suspect that maybe your third finger is too flat on the string after doing the bend (since you need to use more force to do the bend on the acoustic) and so touches the G string. For troubleshooting, try doing the same lick on a tuned-down guitar or a few frets higher so that there is less string tension to cope with.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline Curtis Suter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 06:08:04 pm »
Thanks for the help.  I slowed up a little and watched more closely to what I was doing and I bend the string with my ring finger but use the middle finger to help push and I was getting the middle finger to far over the string and was catching the open G string with it. 

I'm having a problem with the vocals and playing, I'm getting closer as I've been following Justin's wonderful advice here.  However, I'd be curious, does each section start on an upbeat?  I think maybe so as I seem to be starting later than I should. 

Thanks for your time.
Curtis

Offline juantxorena

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 08:58:53 pm »
Just to inform, the first part of the video tutorial is blocked in Germany. I don't know since when, I think I saw it last week, but today it says that the uploader has blocked the video in my country. Only the first part, though. Germany has one of the most stupid and moronic anti-copyright laws, almost the half of the music-related youtube is blocked, so it can be due to that.

Offline dezag.c

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 08:08:34 am »
I have a basic query how do you stop the open strings ringing out when you are playing the intro

i know you should try to palm mute it but in practice how do you do that

Offline groovygrandad

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 08:07:29 pm »
I have a copy of chord sequence for the intro verse and chorus for wish you were here that justin produced way back when. As well as the intro tab for individual notes there is a chord sequence of Em G Em G Em7 A Em7 A G but justin doesnt play this in any of the 4 lesson videos that I can tell. Does this play over the tab intro or is it something completly different. As a new player second time around I'm not proficent enough to work it out. Many thanks

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 08:27:44 pm »
The chords and notes for the intro riff intertwine.
The notes are mainly to be found 'within' the chord shapes (apart from some where there is a hammer on etc).
There is no chord playing when the notes are being played separately.
But the notes 'outline' the sound of the chord.
They fit perfectly with the sketched chord progression.
yo could play those chords along with the recorded intro and it would all fit.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App