Author Topic: ST-100 • Silent Night  (Read 21056 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
ST-100 • Silent Night
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:49:05 pm »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:08:43 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Army Of Foxes

Re: ST-100 • Silent Night
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 04:24:22 am »
hey justin...

i am somewhat of a beginning guitarist and i want to play this piece in a holiday parade. i watched both of the videos and have a good idea on how to play it, but i have one question. Is it possible to strum it with a pick - instead of plucking the notes individually? thanks

fprintf

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:08:46 pm »
Army, I read that you are a beginning guitarist. I hope you'll excuse my reply if you already know this stuff.

Most songs, but particularly holiday songs, are played with melody and harmony. The rhythm guitar, the strumming part you mention, is the harmony part of the song. It provides the background and rhythm for the main tune, the melody. The melody is often sung, but in the example Justin gives here, he is picking out the melody notes. This is perfect for those of us who don't or can't sing while playing guitar.  With just chords strummed, I think you will find the tune is recognizable to you as you are playing it, but not to anyone else listening. You need the melody to provide the listener the cues to know what song you are doing.

With that said, if you can sing the melody then by all means just do the strumming!  There isn't a better way to get everyone else singing than a nicely played rhythm guitar and a confident guitarist.

Matheus

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:37:01 pm »
Hey Justin. Really nice song you made a lesson on! This remembered me why i think you're so great teacher. I promise you, i would like to have you as a private teacher, i think i would learn more guitar than i ever could dream of, if you teached me!

Well anyway... Back to the point: You know your lesson of Silent Night? Yes you... I notice i've heard with the fingerstyle. And i don't wanna use pick for this song! I really wanna learn fingerstyle, so i wonder if you could do a specific lesson of fingerstyle for this song? OR even better if you could do a fingerstyle exercise video? I would like it! Hope you can reach this and make a as soon as possible.

Got to learn this song now! :)
Almost Christmas! I wanna play for my family.

Matheus

Matheus

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:40:35 pm »
I've learned the song, the melodi is in my head and the tabs also. So all i have to do, is to make it sound alot better (what is in this case, train my finger picking) :)

And by the way, i got my first blister of my whole guitar life. :) And trust me, for me its not normal. I often loose skin from my finger, but not get a blister, even all though all gets from guitar. But well, as i said: My first! :) (Shall i be happy? :P)

Offline PJMCM

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:05:28 am »
I really wanna learn fingerstyle, so i wonder if you could do a specific lesson of fingerstyle for this song? OR even better if you could do a fingerstyle exercise video? I would like it! Hope you can reach this and make a as soon as possible.

Matheus

Justin already has a couple of lessons of fingerstyle....

Lesson 1

and...

Lesson 2

Also, if you really want to learn fingerstyle, check out the JamPlay promotion on Justin's site (if you haven't already) and look for lessons by Jim Deering (I think that's the correct spelling). Awesome player and great teacher too.

Peter
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. (George Bernard Shaw)

1986 Epiphone Dreadnought Acoustic
Freshman FA1AM
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
1980's Hondo Bass (DIY restoration fun!)
Peavey Vypyr 30

Matheus

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:37:54 pm »

Thank you so much, i just wondering, why do Justin have so long nails? Is he using them to pick or his fingering?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:43:36 am by close2u »

guitar_gal

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 01:23:57 am »
For this song, I tried to use a metronome to even my rythme except that it kind of difficult to do so because there's almost no full note but only half notes and 1 1/2 notes. :'( Does anyone have any tricks of comments for me?? THANKS!  ;D

jimiclaptoncarl

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 02:47:53 am »
Slow it way down and practice counting the rhythm out loud without your guitar. Once you are comfortable counting out loud (1, and) etc...
at a resonable tempo, try it with your guitar at 50% of the original tempo.

That should help you get used to counting while playing; also be sure to tap your foot on the downbeats 1,2,3,4.

Hope this helps,

jimiclaptoncarl

Offline Ronvk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:50:13 pm »
I know it's a little bit early (November) but I am a beginner and I need the practice! Can somebody help me out about the arpeggio Justin is playing at 4.55 min on the video. Or can give me a clue how to arpeggiate (is this the right word anyway?). Thanks!

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 01:17:41 am »
.. Can somebody help me out about the arpeggio Justin is playing at 4.55 min on the video. Or can give me a clue how to arpeggiate (is this the right word anyway?). Thanks!

He plays XXOOO3 as an arpeggio, and then without moving his finger from the 3rd fret of the top E string he plays the 5th string (B)  at the 3rd fret, then open.

It's the first bar on the bottom line of the TAB that goes with the lesson.

Andy

Offline Ronvk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 08:03:06 pm »
Thanks, but what I really meant was how do I play the total song in arpeggio!

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 08:06:29 pm »
I just pluck random chord tones (while holding the chord, not messing with scales), but while still playing the melody along the same lines.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

General

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 05:47:03 am »
ok so i am completely new to playing guitar and am looking for easy recognizable songs to learn and this seems like one, quick mention it is an electric guitar.  i have the hang of playing single frets and single strings with a pick but it seems like this song doesnt go on that so im looking for more detailed help on playing this song.

Offline Phalanx

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 01:43:07 pm »
ok so i am completely new to playing guitar and am looking for easy recognizable songs to learn and this seems like one, quick mention it is an electric guitar.  i have the hang of playing single frets and single strings with a pick but it seems like this song doesnt go on that so im looking for more detailed help on playing this song.
The entire song is just basic fingerstyle guitar playing. Not sure if you're following the beginners course but in stage eight. But if you want to learn it right now, there should be no troubles, just check out thisvideo and exercises.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App