Author Topic: ST-506 • Pink Bullets (The Shins)  (Read 12169 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
ST-506 • Pink Bullets (The Shins)
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:55:52 pm »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:17:28 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

paukl

Re: ST-506 • Pink Bullets (The Shins)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:52:48 pm »
Hey there,

I've been trying to play this song, and getting the chords right wasn't too difficult, even though i just started. But the struming seems to sound slightly more complex in the song when you play it than just repeating the same down up down thing all the time. Theres all kinds of little variations which i can't really pick out... Can anyone help me with there please? thanks ahead!

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:10:08 pm »
just have to listen more dude - that comes with time - it will do you good to try and learn it yourself... i doubt anyone will bother writing the exact strumming for a whole song!

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:44:44 pm »

I'm having a tough time keeping my arm moving when plucking the bass note.  My hand just wants to pluck the bass note and stop.

* Anyone else having this problem?
* Any suggestions (other than keep practicing)?

Thanks.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

XamTheOne

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:15:51 am »
@ sophiehiker

You could try doing the full chord down and up to get the rhythm, and then try to pluck only the bass note when you're more comfortable.  The wrist has to stay pretty straight, it's the whole arm you should be moving.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:26:21 am by close2u »

valleyboy74

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:48:48 pm »
Just started playing this and am ok with getting the bass note going on the first few notes but when it gets to G it starts getting hard. I can't seem to get to the G in time to play the bass note clearly, I see a tutor every few weeks and his opinion was that he would strum the open strings of the G, so the A and D strings to act as the bass notes in order to give time to get the chord down to play the full chord.

Is this common, or should I stick to getting the g down in time?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 07:36:20 am »
it sounds like you are not yet able to change to a G chord quickly enough to maintain the tempo of the song ...

in that case play at a slower tempo
play it right  / play it slow
if you're okay with all the other changes you don't need to do it for the full 3-4 minute song
practice what you can't do
focus on that section including the G chord
slow it right down
play it through at a slow and steady tempo - doing it right
again and again
then gradually speed up that section
after you get it improving play the section just beore and just after it so you have a lead in and a lead out to the section you're focussing on

you'll get there

:)

valleyboy74

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 02:39:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply, have tried using the Bog G variation and I think this will help loads when I get to grips with it. The problem seems to be fitting my 3rd and 4th finger into the fret. It seems that I either have my fingers too fat back so the B string doesn't ring clearly or the figers too forward so the high E string buzzes as my 4th finger is sitting too close to the fret, very frustrating.

Any tips??

Cheers
valleyboy74

Offline Yo Chocola

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 04:37:46 pm »
I've got a question about chords shapes because I completely don't understand it in this song.
So, Justin puts capo on the 3rd fret and then plays all six chords in their standard open position shapes. :o
But in the lesson about using a capo Justin showed an example when E chord turned to F, F# and G by putting capo on 1st, 2nd and 3rd frets. According to this logics the chord that is played as Em in this song should actually be called Gm, because the capo is on the 3rd fret. This is also about all other chords in this song.
Could someone clarify for me, why Justin plays these chords in their standard shapes? ::)
Thanks in advance!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 169
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 05:21:17 pm »
You are correct an Em capoed at the 3 fret is a Gm. It's actually a barre chord. If you use your index
finger instead of a capo.

That been said when using a capo you refer to the chord shape not the actual chord name. It makes
it easier for beginners to follow along. If you are playing with advanced players your just say this song is
played in Gm. That give the other players the option of playing barre chords or using chord inversions for
different voicings.

Offline pgwillia

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 08:28:19 pm »
Can any one suggest a good exercise to learn how to enunciate embellishments? I'm having trouble getting the A-Asus4-Asus2-A bit to stand out because it sounds so much quieter than when I strum chords. I have the same problem with hammer ons with the second finger in the C chord for Save Tonight and Wild World in the beginner song book. Suggestions?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 169
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 08:42:09 pm »
This exercise will help with strengthening your fingers and hand.
Listen to Justin's instructions very closely you can easily injure your hand over doing this exercise.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-110-TheFingerGym.php 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App