Author Topic: GG-010 • Guitar Amp Basics  (Read 26692 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
GG-010 • Guitar Amp Basics
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:46:45 pm »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:15:19 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Deus

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
    • Me on YouTube
Re: GG-010 • Guitar Amp Basics
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 11:02:36 am »
I have inexpensive Zoom Guitar multi effects pedal which has single stereo output for any gear, like mixers, amps or headphones.
But every guitar has mono output for any guitar amp. So, i think is usually guitar amps mono?

I wonder, which is most common guitar amps mono or stereo? And which is most common effects pedal output?
SD custom guitars Deus-1 - Bias Amp/FX - Tascam US-4x4 - KRK RP5G2

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:45:30 pm »
Mono.

Stereo is usually for when you use two amps!

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Tomps

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 03:36:47 pm »
Gotta ask about the guitar pickup selector.
In Les Paul model, there's the swich wich has 3 different positions.
What they do? Wich position should i use to solo playing and wich to rhytm guitar? (is it wich or which? :DD)

jasonNZ

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 06:07:34 am »
Hey ive got a marshall mg50dfx amp... but i can't seem to get a real metal sound could you possibly help by letting me know where the knobs should be?

Thanks

Captain Kangabrew

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 04:56:06 pm »
What's the largest wattage amp I can get to play inside my house?  My Marshall MG10 just does not sound very good at higher volumes.  I was thinking about a Peavy VYPYR 30, but the Vypyr 75 is not much more, and I'd like to get something I do not outgrow. 

I have also considered the Roland Cube 30 vs the Roland Cube 60.  Any help would be appreciated. 

xXForget itXx

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 08:17:58 pm »
Gotta ask about the guitar pickup selector.
In Les Paul model, there's the swich wich has 3 different positions.
What they do? Wich position should i use to solo playing and wich to rhytm guitar? (is it wich or which? :DD)

I don't know if you still wonder, but up=neck pickup, middle=both pickups and down=bridge pickup. Both are good for both, but the neck pickup with the tone knob on 0-2 will get you that "sustainy" solo (i.e. November rain, Knocking On Heavens Door, both GNR) Just fiddle around with it and see what YOU think sounds good ;)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:10:39 pm »
Amps and guitar choices are so personal it is hard for me or anyone to tell you...

Go to a shop and try out a few and see what you like the sound of!

nicox2

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 07:05:48 am »
Hi justin, ur vids are very helpful, u hav solved a LOT of my questions but i got a few more here =D.

recently i took an electric guitar from one of my friend who havnt been playing it long, like 2months.

since i m a newbi, i m not clear with the regular equipment set up.

with my understanding, what i should get is a guitar and an ampifyer, the pedals are sort of extra to make things sound better.

and the weired thing is, the guitar set i took from my friend includs a guitar, a headset microphone and a pedal(which i belive it is). there is no amps. when i pug everything together, i can acturally hear notes from the headset.

the pedal is linked here ---> http://bestmusicshop.com.au/zoom_g2_guitar_effects_pedal-details-186.php?&manufacturers_id=28

after all, my first question is, do i still need an amp? since most intro vids i hav seen didnt mention such a guitar+pedal+headset combination.

my second question is, i m trying to pick out a harmonic sound, i hav been following the way u taught in the vid, and its not working =( is that me doing something wrong or my guitar setup's problem?

thank you for answering my noobish questions.

Offline Deus

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
    • Me on YouTube
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 08:48:56 pm »
nicox2, i've similar unit - zoom g1x. This is universal effect pedal, you can plug it into amp or headset or just any music amplifier via line input. Zoom or any similar digital processor is a cheap but not the best choice.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:58:30 pm by Deus »

Offline Deus

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
    • Me on YouTube
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 09:27:53 pm »
Justin, You told in your amp basic video, that for a heavy metal tone scooped mid is a must.
And i found it is really useful. But only when i play alone without any backing track.

Right now i've tube preamp plugged in to Marshall MG15 solid state combo.

If i turn on bass + drums backing track my guitar sound hears very indistinctive and hard to hear at all. Guitar sound mixed up with bass and it is difficult to distinguish one from another.

So i start changing all the knobs on my tube preamp and my combo and even my guitar. And i found that better setting is when mids turned up about 2 o'clock. If i turn off backing track i get very sharp bright sound out of the guitar which is not so nice, but when i turn track back again everything sounds fine.

Every instrument (guitar, bass and drums) has it's own frequency range which better got separated (IMHO) and guitar frequency range is mostly the middle range.

PS: Sorry for my english...

Syahrul123

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 05:34:36 am »
Hey i'm new with this guitar stuff.I'm planning to get a Fender CD-110 CE soon.Its an a acoustic electric.Does that mean it can be plugged into an amp?And if it does what kind of wires does it use to connect the guitar and amp?Thx

flyhead

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 10:18:00 am »
It is equipped with an acoustic pick up/pre-amp which means that it can be either amplified or used for direct recording. The guitar will sound fine unamplified also.
  The required amplifier is not ideally an electric guitar amp, rather a specialized acoustic guitar amplifier. A regular el-guitar amp may be used but will not fully replicate the acoustic guitar tone. One can be used, however, if you are looking for weirdness.
   In order to connect to an amplifier you will need an instrument cable of decent quality with 1/4" mono-jack connector.
   It is also possible to connect your guitar through certain interfaces with your home music system or directly into your computer for recording purposes.

Syahrul123

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 03:33:21 pm »
Thx dude

RckNrollStar

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 10:15:51 pm »
Hello,

In your video about basic amp knowledge you explain how to use gain and master volume knobs. Apart from those, my amp also has a volume knob. Just volume. What should I set it to? So which gain, volume and master settings are best for a nice dirty sound?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Scott2526

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 08:03:55 pm »
Thank Justin!

As a newbie this info is very helpful. Being able to more closely match the sound I hear on recording by adjusting my amp has been great. I like knowing I can closely match the tone and feel.

Also, thanks for the (somewhat begrudging) nod to Line 6 and other modeling amps. I agree with your assessment that modeling amps can not fully replicate higher end amps, but they can get in the ballpark.  To have an amp with such a wide variety of tones and effects has been a lot of fun (I have a Line 6 Spider III - 75 Watt). For basement rockers who enjoy the hobby without professional aspirations, these can be a great add on (and a lot of fun).

What a rush to say 'I sound like Angus!'.....

Thanks again!

Scott

Offline ted13

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 08:18:01 am »
justin, could you make a list of all your pedals, like you have done with all your guitars? would be cool :)

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 09:43:42 am »
Thank Justin!

As a newbie this info is very helpful. Being able to more closely match the sound I hear on recording by adjusting my amp has been great. I like knowing I can closely match the tone and feel.

Also, thanks for the (somewhat begrudging) nod to Line 6 and other modeling amps. I agree with your assessment that modeling amps can not fully replicate higher end amps, but they can get in the ballpark.  To have an amp with such a wide variety of tones and effects has been a lot of fun (I have a Line 6 Spider III - 75 Watt). For basement rockers who enjoy the hobby without professional aspirations, these can be a great add on (and a lot of fun).

What a rush to say 'I sound like Angus!'.....

Thanks again!

Scott

I don't play through my Spider III much anymore, but I used it a good long time before I outgrew it. Taught me a lot along the way, both by what it could do and what it couldn't.

Also, good modelers have gone down in price and up in quality a lot - Line 6 Pod HD500 I've heard great things about. Even the Eleven Rack is under a grand. Takes a lot of time to get your tone dialed in, but once you have it it's there. Pretty much any song you hear on the radio these days was recorded using a modeler, not a "real" amp.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Deus

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
    • Me on YouTube
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 08:18:57 am »
Also, good modelers have gone down in price and up in quality a lot - Line 6 Pod HD500 I've heard great things about.
I have HD500 and very happy with it, check out my youtube channel with many my recordings thru POD.
But there is a small problem - to gig you need some active monitors/power amp+cabinets.

Offline jeff00

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 06:51:04 pm »
What is the minimum amount of money I should spend on an amplifier?

A while back I purchased a $50 amp and I feel like I might as well have flushed my money down the toilet. I suppose it sounds okay on clean, but it sounds absolutely horrendous with distortion.

I don't need to much power, I just play in my apartment. Would an amp in the 100 to 150 dollar range be a significant improvement, or should I keep saving for a really nice one?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 209
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 07:45:22 pm »
What $50 did you buy?
If you spend up to $200 it is going to be better but most likely louder unless it's got an attenuated output. A 50W Boss Katana has a 0.1W practice output but when you get there it would be OK for a small venue gig.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata50
Or you could go for something like this which is just a practice amp but better than your old one.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LTECHO15

Get The Forum As A Mobile App