Author Topic: TR-001 • Why Transcribe?  (Read 14699 times)

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
Re: TR-001 • Why Transcribe?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 01:04:10 pm »
If you've transcribed the pattern correctly, but in a different key, I would think it suggests you have good RELATIVE pitch, but need to keep working on identifying actual notes. Keep at it. It is a process.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Big Muff, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90, Ditto X2, Dyna Comp, Splash MkIII, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 02:25:09 pm »
As the good Doc points out, you are working on relative pitch rather than absolute pitch.

This is A Good Thing!

Being able to recognise relative pitches is so much more important than being able to recognise absolute notes. In fact, if you follow an ear training course (recommended) it will teach you to recognise "intervals" which are the difference between two notes, rather than on trying to train you to recognise actual notes ("perfect pitch") which is a nice party trick, but of almost no practical use.

So what you are doing is absolutely fine assuming you are doing it from memory. If you are doing it playing along to the record (or Justin's video), you should notice that you are playing in a different key (which you did).

My suggestion is, if you try to copy or transcribe a riff or a song, and you want to play it in the same key as the original, then you should try to learn the riff playing along with the original record so you get the right starting notes, and the rest of the notes should follow from there.

But there's actually nothing necessarily wrong with playing it in a different key, and it's also not unusual for a song to be played in different key as long as you're not trying to play along with the record. If it sounds good then it is good.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline willferral

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 02:08:59 am »
I don't know where to post this. I'm having trouble sometimes with relatively simple songs. Right now I'm trying to transcribe Dumb by Nirvana and I've spent a half hour trying to figure whatever the second chord or little riff is in the first bar.

Is it productive to work something where I'm making little progress or better to work on songs that I get through relatively fast like [for me] a song by the Ramones or the chord progressions worked on in the Justin training?

Hope my question makes sense and that this is somewhat the right place to post it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App