Author Topic: TR-001 • Why Transcribe?  (Read 17299 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
TR-001 • Why Transcribe?
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:44:03 pm »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:10:27 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

mikemc

Re: TR-001 • Why Transcribe?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 12:54:09 am »
Long time surfer of your site and first time poster!

Justin, love your work man!!, You have helped me brige the gap in a lot of areas in my playing.  I've been trying the transcribing by ear, as you have suggested, and I finally got a few notes on my own!!!  Not much, mind you, just an F, G and an A.  But wow, what a cool feeling to have done it with out relying on a tab or someone to show me!  Now, I still have a long way to go, but I thought I'd share that much with you!

Thanks Again,
Mike
Maryland, USA

aguitarb

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:48:47 am »
does anybody have any simple songs to start off with?

Mooty

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:48:33 pm »

Offline 4decopas

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 12:05:43 am »
i have a lot more problems to transcribe chords than single notes,  is that common?

Linsen

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 12:26:37 am »
Yeah, that's very common and quite logical if you think about it. In a chord you have up to 6 notes (not necessarily different ones) playing at the same time, and several chords use partly the same notes. Problems you don't have with single notes.

Mervin

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 08:01:41 pm »
When u try and identify a chord you listen for the root note if i am right... my question is how do i figure of if its a 7th or diminished or whatever aftet i know the root note...

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:23:05 pm »
I am but a nacent transciber but the theory behind your question is each different chord type eg major, minor, 7th all have a distinctive sound that you should be able to recognise. Play an A then an Am, play a D then a Dm and you will hear what I'm talking about.

B
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Mervin

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 09:18:51 am »
yup i can recognise that .. its something like

majors r happy sounding  ,  minros r dark/sad  7th's r jazzy ... but i hav a difficult like transcribing em from a song .. guess i'll hav to improve my listening skills :P  thank you

Mervin

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:23:24 am »
oops bad sentence there :P

AnimalsAsLeaders

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 02:43:00 am »
Trying to transcribe Lucy in the sky by the beatles on bass. Is is normal to want to cry when trying to transcribe for the first time?

strapp75

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 05:17:16 pm »
Trying to transcribe Lucy in the sky by the beatles on bass. Is is normal to want to cry when trying to transcribe for the first time?

Yes, and not only the first time.  ;)

But you will become better with time. Just keep transcribing.

AnimalsAsLeaders

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 09:51:21 pm »
Okay, just double checking because a deep level of frustration resonated in me last night & today. I gave up on it, looked up the tab and saw that i was hitting the right notes on some of them but just on higher octaves. Going to be checking out some door songs next.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 11:41:41 pm »
Be sure to check out live performances and covers on YouTube, these can help a lot when transcribing.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline mvpetri

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 12:08:05 pm »
I'm really sorry to bump this topic. The last post was freaking 7 years ago  :P!

But I think my problem is most appropriate to this first video.

I'm totally beginner and I'm just starting. A few days ago I tried to play the intro of smoke on the water by ear.

I use an acoustic guitar. With nylon strings. The song was played with a guitar. So although the notes are the same, the pitch isn't. This made it very difficulty.

But one problem that I don't know yet how to overcome is: Sometimes the song sound the same, even though the notes are wrong. For example: I tried to play the intro of Seven Nation Army.

It is quite easy, using the 5th and 6th strings. Disregarding the chords, because I'm focusing on the individual notes:

If you play A A C A (on the 5th string), G F# E (on the 6th string), A A C A (5th) and G F# G F# E (6th) it will sound like the intro of Seven Nation Army. But if you go to the video where justin teaches how to play this song, you can see that it is actually:

C C D C etc... It is all different. It uses the same pattern, and I think this is why it sound like the music, but it is actually 2 notes ahead.

Is it normal to do this while transcribing? Does people play the music only to realize that all the notes are one or 2 notes higher or lower?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App