Author Topic: ET-004 • Intervals On The Guitar  (Read 23442 times)

Offline mattdab0mb

• Good Vibes 0
Re: ET-004 • Intervals On The Guitar
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2020, 08:51:13 pm »
Hi, so I practice playing the intervals on my guitar all around the fretboard, I try to do the play what you hear exercise and do the app listening to different intervals.

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
Re: ET-004 • Intervals On The Guitar
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2020, 11:14:37 pm »
Thank you for more info. I checked the play what you hear exercise. It's actually a great exercise. I am not sure how the app looks like but if you are just listening to the different intervals, this is probably part of your problem. When playing intervals, instead of just playing fourths and fifths over the neck, try to sing them, so you are fully engaged

Play a note on the neck. This will be your root note. Let it ring and sing a fourth above it. Keep singing the note and then play the fourth on the guitar to check if you were correct. Do the same for the fourth beneath the root note. So you will start hearing the intervals above and beneath. Do the same for the fifth and other intervals as you go along.

The play what you hear is sort of the opposite of learning the intervals. You know how the melody of a famous tune goes in your head but you need to connect it to the fingers. I don't have anything to add to thise exercise because Justin explains it great.

So in short:
When learning intervals, try not to just mindlessly (sorry, this is a bit of a harsh word but don't know a synonym that doesn't have a negative tone to it) playing them over the neck. Focus on becoming active learner.

I hope any of this is understandable and of any help. If you need anything else, feel free to ask. And keep us posted how your progress goes!

PS:
I am not the biggest fan of reference songs but go and use them because they make your life way easier when learning intervals. Saying this, I do have a "reference chord". Whenever someone plays a D chord, I know it's a D because I've heard Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen that I just remembered the sound of the D chord over the years.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App