Author Topic: ET-001 • Ear Training Basics  (Read 52245 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: AU-001 • Aural Training Basics
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:35 pm »
Notified Justin about this.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 01:06:47 pm »
Can anyone with a Mac try this and let us know what happens.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 01:12:26 pm »
@PTB..... tell me exactly what you want.

Intervals
Number of repeats
Etc.

I can do this with a piano.
Ex.

Play P5 in single position
Play P5 in multiple positions but same key ( notes )
Repeat X times
Play P5 in different keys each time

Play x y z a b ??

Just write out --exactly-- what you want to hear.

Gone

Offline dencello

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 10:49:12 am »
Hello there everyone,

Just a little while ago I found out about the Justinguitar ear trainer. I tried it on Firefox and on Google Chrome. On Firefox it just didn't work. I got no message about what I should do. But on google chrome it DID work.

I first got a message that I should download a plug in. after I did this I closed the browser and reopened it. I opened the site and I got a message if I would like to use the plug in. after I did this. It worked perfectly!!!

i hope i got it a little bit clear what should be done.
if not feel free to ask and I'll try to make it clearer.

greetings,
Dencello

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:30:05 pm by dencello »

Offline Moler72

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 03:42:50 pm »
Hi Justin and all fellow guitar beginners
I'm a little confused regarding the concept of Aural training and what I'm supposed to learn/know. E.g., if I do a lesson on intervals, when I hear the 2 notes, am I supposed to know right away if it's a 4th or a 5th just by hearing the 2 notes, or is it ok to "count up" from the root note and name it then? Same with listening to chords, am I supposed to name a chord by hearing it or can I try on the guitar until I have found the chords that sounds the same? All advice is really appreciated.

Offline soprano

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 04:14:08 am »
I went to site with the lesson answers but there are not just 4th and 5th interval answers listed.
Aural test answers lesson 1.
Please help.
thanks

Offline danjost

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2013, 01:19:26 pm »
Hey guys,

Sorry if it's a silly question or if it's in the wrong place, but I couldn't find anything about this...

I figured out this ear training for both ascending and descending intervals. Now it's just a matter of practice till I get good at it.

But what about the harmonic intervals? I don't know how the trick of comparing it to a song would make sense here. What are the tips for this? I ask because I completely suck at it. I think a monkey hitting random intervals would fare better than me. Am I supposed to just wait until I mastered the ascending and descending case, and then the harmonic intervals will start to make sense to my ears spontaneously? Or is there some tip to start it off?

Thanks a lot,
Cheers!

Offline asura

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 02:05:33 pm »
I think a monkey hitting random intervals would fare better than me. Am I supposed to just wait until I mastered the ascending and descending case, and then the harmonic intervals will start to make sense to my ears spontaneously? Or is there some tip to start it off?
I felt exactly the same when I started with the harmonic intervals. I started with only P4 and P5 and got less than 50% for hours :(
The only trick I found is to divide the interval in the two single notes, but that was impossible to apply. If you keep on doing this however the guesses becomes (very) slowly better. Then suddenly I was able to hear out a single note at a time, though not necessary the right.
Today (right now 94% :) I did all harmonics of a major scale and the test somehow felt like it would be an ascending melodic test, that means somehow (I had the impression that) I heart first the root and then the higher note.
It seems that this is an ability that comes out of the nothing (at least I'm sure for me that there is no talent involved).

For the right order: first melodic, then harmonic. There is a lesson from Justin (no video, but only text I believe).
But beeing solid at the melodic intervals is only required (or at least helpful) for the harmonic intervals. To master these is something completely new and takes it own time. And it's somehow much more frustatingly because of periods with zero improvement.

Right now with the division of an interval I can use the song association quite good, but it seems to get in faster or more directly.
Maybe there is a secret trick to get a better or faster solution but I searched a month ago quite alot without much success. I hope Justin will reveal it in a future lesson :)
(Sorry if it's the wrong place, I'm not sure either if this threat is only for melodic or for harmonic intervals, too.)

Offline sayworth

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: ET-001 • Ear Training Basics
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 06:12:11 pm »
When is a good time to start ear training?  After the beginner course is completed?  or right from the beginning? 

Thanks

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 155
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 08:13:17 pm »
Check your other post I answered it there.

Offline chris goss

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 06:50:06 pm »
Hi.  I am just starting the intermediate foundation course.  I am making a go at learning to transcribe and am following Justin Method in the course.  I see that there are three areas here for developing this skill and I'm kind of confused at the differences...  There is the Justin Method that is in the beginner and intermediate courses, there is the Ear Training Lessons, and then there is the Transcribing Lessons....Can someone explain the differences if any to me and suggest the best place to begin...my thoughts are to do the Justin Method and maybe use the ear training lessons too since it has an APP that goes with it...might be something I can do while in the car..

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 12:10:03 pm »
Can i please just get clarifcation on something about intervals. I'm a bit confused by the terminology 4th and 5th. Its possible i might have missed something along the way in my reading. So anyway between the first note and the second note in the 4th interval is that 4 notes or one note? And between the first note and the second note in the 5th is that two notes or five notes?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 03:46:04 pm »
In the key of C major:

C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

So C to G is a 5th: C (D E F) G - 1 (2 3 4) 5
And C to F is a 4th: C (D E) F - 1 (2 3) 4

Does that answer the question?

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 10:46:55 am »
More than… but thanks very much anyway. :-)

It was a really simple question and I got my answer when I did the second ear training lesson last night. The answer was 4 notes and 5 notes. I know it should have been obvious by the name of it anyway but sometimes I over think things and I just want extreme simplicity and clarity.

Offline 1SteveR

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 07:19:47 am »
Ear Training Question;

Is it still considered a 5th or 6th (or whatever interval you are working on) both going to higher note
and to a lower note (ascending and descending?).
    In Justin's new lesson today on the major 6th interval, he is using the key of C and the songs he chooses to find the 6th are all going to the higher note.  The 6th is the note A but you'd need a different song in your mind ascending vs descending.
    When I am transcribing songs I have quite a bit of trouble when the key is on the 5th string (i.e key of C) and then the 4th and 5th cords are on the 6th string and it is hard for me to identify them clearly?
     Do you experts have a song in your mind for the ascending interval and the descending interval or are you able to hear it whether it is going up or down.  Thanks, Steve

Get The Forum As A Mobile App