Author Topic: AR-003 • Dominant 7th Arpeggios  (Read 35612 times)

Offline David V

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: AR-003 • Dominant 7th Arpeggios
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 12:42:50 am »
The root note give the letter name to the arpeggio/chord.  The dominant 7th part refers to the intervals between the notes.  A dominant 7th chord has the root, 3rd, 5th and flat 7th scale degrees in the chords.  So a D7 always has the notes D, F#, A, C in it.  The D7 arpeggios all follow the note sequence D, F#, A, C but since there are several different places where the D note is found on the neck, there are also different places where you can play a D7 arpeggio.

When you go to a different arpeggio shape it isn't always just an octave higher, but the highest note in the pattern will be higher as you move up the neck.  The note order of the arpeggios doesn't change, but the highest and lowest notes are different in the different shapes.  In other words, the arpeggios don't always end on the same note, they end on the highest note in the chord that is within the same fretboard area (generally).

JB95

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 09:38:29 pm »
So the other ways to do a D7 is D7 minor, major, diminished and dominant?
I'm sorry but I don't understand this, but is there a video that explains the 3rd 5th and 7th scale degree thing and shows the finger placement as well?
I guess I'm not ready for this, it seems like I should already known loads of music theory before trying to learn about arpeggios...

Offline David V

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 05:02:59 am »
Music theory can be a bit helpful here, yeah.

I'll try to explain the chord names quickly.  There are 3 main types of chords that contain a 7th: the major 7th, minor 7th and dominant 7th.  Usually when people refer to the dominant 7th chord, they just add 7 after the name (so D7 is the same as D dominant 7).  The half-diminished and diminished stuff is not as commonly used, and I would wait before thinking too much about those.

The differences between the chords come in whether they have major or minor 3rds and 7ths.  Major 7 chords have major 3rds and major 7ths.  Minor 7 chords have minor 3rds and minor 7ths.  Dominant chords have major 3rds but minor 7ths.

So, on the guitar there are different ways of playing a D7, because the same notes occur in several places (either an entire octave up the fretboard, or the same notes but on different strings).  The D major 7 and the D minor 7 arpeggios are separate and have different notes in them.  They can also be played in a few different positions (the 5 shapes that Justin shows).

I don't know if there's a video that explains how to build arpeggios, I don't think so.  I've heard good things about the practical music theory book that Justin sells, but I haven't looked at it myself because I learned a lot of this stuff from a different book that I got from a library a couple years ago.  Building your knowledge of music theory will definitely help to understand how you can use the arpeggios.  It will also be useful for being able to build your own chords (which is mostly the same knowledge since arpeggios are just chords with the notes played one at a time)

JB95

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 02:55:33 pm »
Wait, do 3rds and 7th etc. have anything to do with intervals?
D7 = D dominant 7 because there is no D7-only arpeggio?
I just understood that the arpeggios can be played at many places. for example, an F (133xxx)(xx356x)(xxxx68) and then the same thing just at the 13 fret (6times in total).... I'm not sure on this, though.
But when you do this, you don't get the whole chord at the second octave of the F chord, just 2 notes, which I think was the thing that confused me.
I think I'm looking at way too advanced material, and should wait with learning this until I actually understands something of it.
If you think it looks like I had no idea what I was talking about in the stuff I've daid before, just tell me!

Offline David V

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 04:11:09 pm »
D7 = D dominant 7.  If you play a D7 in a song, it's the same things as D dominant.  Any chord with just a 7 after it always means the dominant 7, lots of times people just don't call it that. 

The 3rds and 7ths can be thought of as intervals from the root of the chord.  So, a D7 chord would have notes that are a major 3rd, perfect 5th and minor 7th up from D.

Looks like you've got the idea of the different places, but the shapes you've given are for power chords.  So yeah, those will only have the root and the 5th of the arpeggio.  The full arpeggio shapes give all notes of the chord and over 2 octaves. 

JB95

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 08:19:03 pm »
perfect 5th? In case you didn't know, all of this is new to me, so if you're going to explain something to me with stuff like that, explain that too!
The F5 was just an example by the way!

I checked out the dominant arpeggio page at this site and saw this arpeggio formula:  R ^ 3 ^ 5 ^ b7 (of the major scale)
What does it mean?

Anyways, I no loger clue-less one those other ways of doing a chord, since I discovered the CAGED system! (I fooled around with octaves actually)
Shape:      E          D          C            A                G
F=       (133211)(xx3565)(x87565)(x81010108)(1312101013)

Yeah... but can you show me an example of a dominant 7th apreggio with notes please?     

JB95

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 05:21:55 pm »
Thanks to the Guitar Pro software and it's great scale, chord and arpeggio list, I finally understood this!
However, there is this one thing that bother me; how come 7ths are not included in the list?
I got the latest version of Guitar Pro (6) and I'd be shocked if something like that is lacking from software!
Something that could be it is 7 tetrachord, which is dominant, and the stuff below the notes (if the root note is C) says P1,M3,P5,M7, which somehow looks samiliar to what I mentioned in the previous post.
I'm pretty sure on this, but it would be great if someone more experienced could confirm it!

Trevor6666

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 01:39:00 pm »
Hi folks, i have just started learning arpeggios, and i wanted to play eric claptons wonderful tonight all in arpeggios, my chords are G D C Em  for these chords do i play G D C Dominant 7th arpeggios and a Em arpeggio or G D C Major arpeggios with a Em arpeggio, and maybe mix in the Em penatonic? Im a bit stuck on what to play to make it sound good.
Any help would be great as im learning and enjoying.
Thanks.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:10 pm »
Well if you want to stay completely in key (based on the chords you listed, not me listening to the song) I would go with:

Gmaj7, Cmaj7, D7, and Em7.

And to be nit picky I would be thinking Gmaj pentatonic rather than Em pentatonic, but since they have the same notes... like I said I'm just being nit picky.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline halcon

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 02:19:04 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and still relatively new to guitar playing, so there's a big chance that I'm wrong but... I think there's a mistake on the D Shape diagram for the Dominant 7th Arpeggios.

It looks to me like the Root not on the D string has been flattened (one fret to the left). I got to this by comparing the shapes of the different Arpeggios on the site, the Root should be the same on all... Right?

Again, I am not an expert, so I'm probably wrong; but if I'm not, I hope this helps

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 02:45:27 pm »
 Nope.  It is correct.  Think about the open D string in D chord.  And the D on the second string is on the third fret.

0, 1, 2, 3.... in the diagram think of the root on the fourth string as 0, the 1 2 3, the second string root is where it is supposed to be.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline halcon

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »
Oops! Yup, my bad  :P

Thanks!!!

Offline BGRbdWg7

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2020, 06:22:59 pm »
I'm new to this forum and am confused. I know I'm supposed to post in the designated topic area but scrolling through the topics, I simply don't see any listing for this module.  I have a pressing question about how to finger one of the Dom 7 arpeggios with added b3 and 4. Please direct to me to the right place !

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 576
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2020, 07:38:22 am »
temp

Offline BGRbdWg7

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2020, 05:14:21 pm »
What does "temp" mean ????????????

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 220
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2020, 06:28:09 pm »
Close has marked you post so he can deal with it.
What is your question?
Can't help without knowing what you need help with

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 576
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2020, 06:43:45 pm »
As stitch says - it was a holding post to revive an old thread and give me a place marker to merge your topic to here.
How can we help?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App