Author Topic: SC-301 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale: Essential Information  (Read 96442 times)

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
Re: SC-002 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale
« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2014, 03:05:30 pm »
Steve,

I don't understand; The blue notes are included in that diagram already?

They are included in my diagrams - they are the circles with white in the center.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2014, 03:12:28 pm »
Ah; they look good to me. How are they different from Justin's?
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 55
« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2014, 06:36:11 pm »
The Blues Lead course is a good way to practice fingering in all five positions, ooh err,  using them, and changing between them.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2014, 12:51:13 am »
The Blues Lead course is a good way to practice fingering in all five positions, ooh err,  using them, and changing between them.

Thanks for that!  I actually had the Blues Lead Course sitting here (bought it as part of a blues package that Justin used to sell) - I just hadn't gotten around to working through it (forgot I had it actually).  Went through about 8 chapters of it tonight and had a blast with it.  I'm going to be mixing it up though.  I plan on learning the positions of the minor pentatonic (along with the blues scale using the fingerings on the charts I posted here) using the same method I used to learn the major scale (from Justin's master the major scale - it worked VERY well for me).  While doing that I'll also be doing the lead course to help learn the "language".

I'm also taking lessons again with a great blues guitarist here in town.  I took lessons from him for about a year and a half before I got very sick a little over a year ago.  My health is finally getting to where I have some extra energy and time and am able to put some serious effort into my guitar playing again.  I've been playing a good bit over the last year but most of it has just been for fun playing and performing (I'm in a church band) - I just didn't have the energy on a consistent basis to be able to do regular practice (sometimes I'd go a few weeks only being able to play in church).

Thanks for the input all.

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2014, 12:54:12 am »
How are they different from Justin's?

If you compare them to the charts on this lesson ( http://justinguitar.com/en/SC-002-MinorPentatonicScale.php ) you'll see that I shifted some fingers off by one (using 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4 or vice versa) so that the blues notes were right in the pattern in all cases.  I figured by doing that I could learn the two scales in one and would speed up being able to link them together and see them as one big pattern on the fretboard.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2014, 01:00:25 am »
Steve, I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline murrayotl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2014, 12:19:02 am »
Hi Newbie here.

I'm learning pentatonic scale forms. Is there a way to learn the lowest the form can be played?

Like E can be 1st fret.
                                                Thanks John

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #202 on: March 17, 2014, 12:35:26 am »
The shapes are moveable. If you play E shape at fret 1 you are playing F minor pent.
Gone

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 55
« Reply #203 on: March 17, 2014, 07:11:02 pm »
Hi Newbie here.

I'm learning pentatonic scale forms. Is there a way to learn the lowest the form can be played?

Like E can be 1st fret.
                                                Thanks John

I do not quite understand your question, but if you learn the minor pentatonic properly, then you will be able to answer it for yourself.

On this site, I think the best way to learn the pentatonic, the shapes, all over the neck, and how to use it, more importantly, is to  do the Blues Lead course. It totally familiarized me with the A minor pentatonic and its 5 positions, and made me feel completely comfortable soloing anywhere on the neck,using only the minor pentatonic. It is a good course to go through, from a theory and a practical perspective.

After you finish the course and know A minor everywhere, and know all the shapes, it is up to you to teach yourself, using the same method, all of the other keys. After a few, it all becomes clear.

That is what I would do, anyway, if I wanted to learn the minor pentatonic
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline lolgamer

• Good Vibes 0
Minor pentatonic scale
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2018, 03:25:27 pm »
Should I put my hand on the bridge while doing pentatonic scale?and also should i put my hand on bridge when strumming?

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
Re: Minor pentatonic scale
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2018, 03:57:13 pm »
No, and no.

You need to keep your hand moving freely when you're strumming.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
Re: SC-301 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale: Essential Information
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2018, 06:06:00 pm »
The only reason youll ever rest your hand on the bridge is when youre doing muted strumming. If you feel the need try using your little finger for support on the body when finger picking.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: SC-301 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale: Essential Information
« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2018, 08:08:45 pm »
I rest my hand on the bridge - it might be a bad habit but I make it work for me.
Far too many years of embedding to undo.
I tried little finger for anchoring a few times and it just didn't stick.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App