Author Topic: SC-301 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale: Essential Information  (Read 111356 times)

XamTheOne

Re: SC-002 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2010, 08:24:19 pm »
Hey all,

Is there not a mistake on the pictures? Is not the min pent 4 the D shape ?

Thx

It's the A shape.  Try practicing it in open position, with the (1) being open strings, it will make sense.

Offline Moriador

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2010, 10:21:02 pm »
Hello Xam,

thx for your answer, but what (1) are you talking about? Open positions, like open strings notes?

I mean I do not see a D shape in the 2nd figure but more in the 4th one .

Cheers

XamTheOne

« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2010, 11:29:45 pm »
Hello Xam,

thx for your answer, but what (1) are you talking about? Open positions, like open strings notes?

I mean I do not see a D shape in the 2nd figure but more in the 4th one .

Cheers

Sorry, I meant the dots labeled (1) on the picture, the number indicates the fingering.  Try to imagine the nut where the (1) dots are .  And yes I'm talking open strings.

Maybe the reason you see a D shape is because you're thinking about D major with the little triangle.  But that doesn't fit, since the root note isn't 2 frets behind.  If you try to overlay a D minor shape, it won't fit either, whereas a A minor shape will.

Offline Moriador

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2010, 08:06:30 am »
Hey,

1°) OK so I now see the Aminor shape. So on position 1 we see a Esus4, but what about positions 2,3, 5 ? Do we have to imagine that the nut is where the first note (first one from the real nut) is?

2°) So what do I do with open strings? I play open strings? Which open strings should I play and can't I play the note indicated buy justin? Damn my questions look like a 5 year old child... !!

3°) While I am at it... Are the 5 positions playable anywhere on the fretboard? Or does the position 1 start on the 6thstring 2nd fret exclusively, the position 2 start on the 6th string 3rd fret only ...etc ??

PS : Sorry for the 3 questions in a row... I am really confused with these scales positions and do not know where they are applicable .

Cheers

XamTheOne

« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2010, 08:46:39 pm »
Hey,

1°) OK so I now see the Aminor shape. So on position 1 we see a Esus4, but what about positions 2,3, 5 ? Do we have to imagine that the nut is where the first note (first one from the real nut) is?

2°) So what do I do with open strings? I play open strings? Which open strings should I play and can't I play the note indicated buy justin? Damn my questions look like a 5 year old child... !!

3°) While I am at it... Are the 5 positions playable anywhere on the fretboard? Or does the position 1 start on the 6thstring 2nd fret exclusively, the position 2 start on the 6th string 3rd fret only ...etc ??

PS : Sorry for the 3 questions in a row... I am really confused with these scales positions and do not know where they are applicable .

Cheers

People here aren't afraid of questions ;)

1°) If you want to see chords inside of scale shapes, you can imagine the nut where the first note is.  You'll see that several chords fit into a scale.  But that's not the real point.  I think you should think the other way, and ask yourself which scale fits a particular chord.  It's a little unnecessary when you just want to learn the scale.  You should practice it latter, and do it just by ear.

2°) Since the all the notes on the diagram are part of the scale, moving everything to the nut means that you do play open strings. Let me demonstrate.

e 0 3
b 0 3
g 0 2
D 0 2
A 0 2
E 0 3

Play it from the lowest to the highest note and then back to the lowest note. That's E minor Pentatonic.

3°) This might be the source of your confusion.  The diagram is not supposed to represent a particular part of the neck, so it's not the second fret or third fret only.  It's any fret, anywhere on the neck.  It all depends on what key you're playing in.  If you play in A, you can use position 1 at the fifth fret, or position 2 at the 7th fret, etc. because that's where the root note falls.

I hope it's clear that each note must be played individually and separately.  Scales are used to play melodies, and positions are made to memorize ways of going from one note to another.  At least that's how I see it.  There are many other ways of playing a scale, a common way is sliding from a position to another.

Always a pleasure to help ;)

Offline Moriador

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2010, 02:26:43 pm »
Hey Xam,

Thanks a lot for your explanation. A great one I have to say. I do understand more things now.

Just to be sure, you say if I play the A min pent scale position 2, I will have to play on the 7th fret. You mean the 7th fret on the 5th string is that it ?  So I will play:

E 8
E 10
A 7
A10
D 7 (root note)
D 10
G 7
G 9
B 8
B 10
e 8
e 10

Cheers !

XamTheOne

« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2010, 08:07:41 pm »
Hey Xam,

Thanks a lot for your explanation. A great one I have to say. I do understand more things now.

Just to be sure, you say if I play the A min pent scale position 2, I will have to play on the 7th fret. You mean the 7th fret on the 5th string is that it ?  So I will play:

E 8
E 10
A 7
A10
D 7 (root note)
D 10
G 7
G 9
B 8
B 10
e 8
e 10

Cheers !
Yup Moriador, you got it!  (Tu serais pas Français par hasard?/You wouldn't happen to be French by any chance?)

Offline Moriador

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2010, 09:55:45 am »
Si :) Comment tu as deviné?

XamTheOne

« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »
Si :) Comment tu as deviné?

Je sais pas, une façon de parler peut-être ^^ à un moment tu as dit "applicable", bien que c'est de l'anglais correct, je crois qu'on utilise plus souvent "appliable" :)

Offline Moriador

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2010, 03:30:09 pm »
Hehehe :)

En fait on dit bien les deux en anglais avec une préférence pour applicable généralement. Mais de facon c'est encore un mot que les british/ricains ont piqué au Francais (vieux francais plus précisément:) ). Donc les deux c cool :)

Bon jte sors pas ma science non plus, mais les langues étrangères c'est mon domaine donc bon :)

D'ailleurs tu as aussi un bon niveau d'anglais je dirais pour faire des explications comme tu fais!

Tu es d'ou ?

C'est bien aussi je pourrai venir te poser des questions en francais !! C'est ptet plus simple pour apprendre ce bordel qu'est les gammes. Bien que je sois maintenant habitué au systeme de notation anglais.. humm.

A+

XamTheOne

« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2010, 06:30:18 pm »
Oui je me suis rendu compte de ma connerie après l'avoir écrite :)

Je suis à coté de Lille, je suis français par mon père et canadien par ma mère.  Mais je pratique trop peu l'anglais à mon goût :)

Ici, vaut mieux parler en anglais comme ça tout le monde comprend, après si t'es vraiment dans les choux je t'enverrais un MP en fr, et tu réponds sur le forum comme ça tout le monde peut profiter de la discution.  Pour une fois que je squatte un forum ...  :D

Offline Moriador

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »
No worries :) Sorry for people who do not understand french. This won't happen again. Or you could also try to learn French ;)

Keep in touch Xam

patstrummer

« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2010, 12:09:40 am »
Hi justin

Big fan of your lessons and material - I have even bought some stuff!! :) but I think there are some bits that need joining up.

Isn't there a "disconnect" between lesson Sc-001 major scales and sc-002 minor pentatonic scales?

In Sc-001 you take us through how major scale shapes can be identified and named by the major chord shapes that they contain.

So in Sc-001 position 1, E shape is called an E shape because, with the shape at the open position (ie imagining the nut at the middle fret line on the diagram ie 4th fret from the top) the red chord tones make an E major chord. And so on with all the position/shapes.

But in Sc-002 the shape "Min Pent 1" is described as "position 1 E shape" ; surely it isn't. Its a G shape.

Its the position 5, G shape from Sc-002 ie a major scale shape with the following changes to make it a minor pentatonic scale;

1. two tones are dropped from the 7 tone major scale to make it a 5 tone pentatonic (the 4th and the 7th )
2. and the natural minor is just a major scale with the root starting 3 semitones below the root of the major scale (on the 6th degree) so the root from the major shape is just slipped back three semitones to make it a minor scale root position.

So isn't it the case that

Min pent 1 is not position 1 E shape but position 5 G shape
min pent 2 is not position 2 D shape but position 1 E shape
Min pent 3 is not position 3 C shape but position 2 D shape
Min pent 4 is not position 4 A shape but  position 3 C shape
Min Pent 5 is not position 5 G shape but position 4 A shape
 where the letters refer to MAJOR chord shapes in the open position

I know that there are MINOR chord shapes in the MIN Pent scale shapes (eg you could say scale shape Min Pent 1 is position 1 Eminor shape but I don't believe thats how its been explained anywhere in the mnaterial.)
There are a lot of confused people on various threads relating to scales struggling with this and maybe some connecting up could help ?

You know 100 time more about the guitar and its music than I do and can I apologise in advance if this is covered somewhere in the vastness of your material :)

I trust that my comments are taken in the positive spirit with which I proffer them

All the best

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2010, 08:34:33 am »
Hello patstrummer, welcome to the forum, your issue comes up often ... read the posts on page 9 of this thread and see if you can make sense of it ...

Also look here ...

http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=13145.0

Tomps

« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2010, 03:55:25 pm »
Hey,

I'm a little confused about these minor and major scales. Let's say that I have a song in the key of C/Am and I want to improvise over it with minor pentatonic scale. Because it's minor scale, should I use A Minor Pentatonic? But then again the basic blues Justin teaches is in A (major) and still use A Minor Pentatonic.
I have noticed that A Minor Pentatonic is like a simplified version of C Major Scale, and also noticed that it sounds good to play with either of them. I just need some explanation. Please.

Thx.

-Tomps

Get The Forum As A Mobile App